HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael McCarron

Old
03-20-2017, 07:11 PM
covfefe
truth detective

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
He was basically bust territory until last season. No idea of coaching pact.
He scored 24 goals two seasons ago, your standards are unrealistic

covfefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:08 PM
Goldenhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
What I hope is that he can turn into a 30 pts forward that is nasty to play against and gives us that big body on the PP to screen the goalie.
Thats a pretty realistic projection at this point IMO.. I would like to see Julien use him in front of the net on the PP as well, I dont know if that will happen this year since its a bit late to experience that but Im pretty sure they will try it at some point next year, its too much of a natural to not at least see how it works, he is very good at deflecting pucks, screening the goalie and is basically unmovable.

Goldenhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:37 PM
montreal
Global Moderator
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenhands View Post
Thats a pretty realistic projection at this point IMO.. I would like to see Julien use him in front of the net on the PP as well, I dont know if that will happen this year since its a bit late to experience that but Im pretty sure they will try it at some point next year, its too much of a natural to not at least see how it works, he is very good at deflecting pucks, screening the goalie and is basically unmovable.
I don't expect them to use him on the PP but down the road they should as it's one of his best assets. He was so useful on the IceCaps PP as you just can't move him and he's so hard to see around unless you get really low.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 06:55 AM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
He was basically bust territory until last season. No idea of coaching pact.
Whaaaat? In his last season of Junior he was a bust? That would be the season before last season.

Last season in Junior (2014/2015, 19 year old): 68 pts in 57 games. 3 pts in 4 memorial cup games.

1st season in the AHL/NHL (2015/2016, 20 year old):
38 pts in 58 games (AHL). 2 pts in 20 games (NHL).

He's developing fine and he's only 22! He's working on his defensive game and being a reliable and consistent NHL player. He's projected to be a bottom 6 guy (probably 3rd line C or RW) with some top 6 minutes here and there. He's a very solid prospect for the Habs and I bet he reaches his true potential when he's 23/24. He'll be a full time NHL'er next year and then the year after that, we will know who the real McCarron is.

Habaholicgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 11:39 AM
Uncle Gary
Habs/Preds

Uncle Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 02:56 PM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary View Post
Julien is going to be much better with the younger players than MT was. McCarron, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Hudon, Scherbak will all benefit from this.

Habaholicgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 03:24 PM
CHarlie
They feed me CHicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary View Post
That's because Julien wants to teach him........and not lets some ahl coach (eh-em) show him nothing..........is this dejavu???

CHarlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 03:45 PM
Goldenhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHarlie View Post
That's because Julien wants to teach him........and not lets some ahl coach (eh-em) show him nothing..........is this dejavu???
Julien is maybe not the best motivator in the business but he is well known to be an incredible teacher and excellent tactician.. So yes, our kids have better chances to improve and reach their potential under Julien than it was under Therrien or any AHL coaches out there.. especially kids like McCarron and DLR, they are big, skate well for their size and have a good hockey IQ, Im pretty sure they will develop well under Julien..

Goldenhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 03:45 PM
Chez Weber
King of the North

Quote:
Well Julien is alot more competent than Sly that's for sure. But I also think the best way to learn is by experimenting and if McCarron could play as the 1C on the Ice Caps while they are in playoff position (first time in 5+ years) that would be a great learning experience and prepare him for the NHL playoffs in the next years.

Chez Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 03:51 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
Julien is going to be much better with the younger players than MT was. McCarron, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Hudon, Scherbak will all benefit from this.
I didn't like Therrien very much, but to be honnest, if Therrien would have said that, he would have been crucified around here.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 03:56 PM
Belial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez Weber View Post
Well Julien is alot more competent than Sly that's for sure. But I also think the best way to learn is by experimenting and if McCarron could play as the 1C on the Ice Caps while they are in playoff position (first time in 5+ years) that would be a great learning experience and prepare him for the NHL playoffs in the next years.
BigMac can't play in the AHL PO.

Belial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 04:09 PM
tazsub3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I didn't like Therrien very much, but to be honnest, if Therrien would have said that, he would have been crucified around here.
Of course he would have , as he would have been a hypocrite. He kept benching kids after mistake, and not give them a chance after for another 20-30 games

On the other hand, Julien has set a rotation, was not afraid of inserting Mccaron after a team victory (so no more of don't change a winning lineup crap)

tazsub3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 04:24 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

I dont think Big Mac will learn to play on the first two lines in the AHL. He's too slow and doesn't have what it takes to be top-6 in the NHL.

I've settled for a Brian Boyle a long time ago.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 04:49 PM
CHarlie
They feed me CHicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
I dont think Big Mac will learn to play on the first two lines in the AHL. He's too slow and doesn't have what it takes to be top-6 in the NHL.

I've settled for a Brian Boyle a long time ago.
Do you want some pepper with that crow you going to eat?

Old
03-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Belial

Quote:
Do you want some pepper with that crow you going to eat?
What? I would be happy if he can turn out into a Boyle! Boyle is a solid player.

What do you expect him to turn into?

Old
03-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Adam Michaels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
BigMac can't play in the AHL PO.
I recall reading that he will be because the league made a mistake with the paperwork.

You can even see in the 24CH episode trade deadline special, the guy from legal is advising one of their PR guys that they will send McCarron to the AHL and call him back up to the NHL right away. It was only a paper transaction to make him eligible for the AHL PO if they decide to send him there.

Adam Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 05:56 PM
CHarlie
They feed me CHicken

Quote:
What? I would be happy if he can turn out into a Boyle! Boyle is a solid player.

What do you expect him to turn into?
Not sure I just don't go comparing players potentials with other players................that's all my point was.

Old
03-21-2017, 06:11 PM
Belial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Michaels View Post
I recall reading that he will be because the league made a mistake with the paperwork.

You can even see in the 24CH episode trade deadline special, the guy from legal is advising one of their PR guys that they will send McCarron to the AHL and call him back up to the NHL right away. It was only a paper transaction to make him eligible for the AHL PO if they decide to send him there.
Hmm, I recall reading he was not eligible... I even recall saying it was dumb by the organization to not send him down to make him eligible... But if an error was made somewhere and he's eligible, great news! Now let's hope they finally make the PO!

But the way Julien was talking today I don't even know if they would send him back down, seems like that's it, he made the team for real...

Old
03-21-2017, 06:14 PM
Adam Michaels

Quote:
Hmm, I recall reading he was not eligible... I even recall saying it was dumb by the organization to not send him down to make him eligible... But if an error was made somewhere and he's eligible, great news! Now let's hope they finally make the PO!

But the way Julien was talking today I don't even know if they would send him back down, seems like that's it, he made the team for real...
I also recall reading they didn't make him eligible. A day or two later, I read the league made a mistake and he is eligible. And I also watched the 24CH episode where they say it will only be a paper transaction so to me, all points that he's eligible.

As for keeping him in the NHL, I am fine with that. I do think he will learn more in the NHL playoffs even as a healthy scratch than he will in the AHL playoffs on the roster.

Adam Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 07:32 PM
LyricalLyricist
Retired

When Max was playing low minutes in NHL he begged to go back to AHL so he can develop. It worked for him.

It all depends on the player really. I think McCarron still has stuff to learn in the AHL but I'm okay with him in either league.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 10:37 PM
LastWordArmy

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Michaels View Post
I also recall reading they didn't make him eligible. A day or two later, I read the league made a mistake and he is eligible. And I also watched the 24CH episode where they say it will only be a paper transaction so to me, all points that he's eligible.

As for keeping him in the NHL, I am fine with that. I do think he will learn more in the NHL playoffs even as a healthy scratch than he will in the AHL playoffs on the roster.
He is eligible. The transaction is on the AHL website transactions page.

It also means that the Habs have used 1 of their 4 post deadline call-ups.

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Joannie9

McCarron needs to train his lower body this summer. He's so weak, he gets pushed off by 6'0'' players... If he can get stronger on his skates, he'd be better along the boards. He has such tiny legs...

Joannie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Carey Chant

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannie9 View Post
McCarron needs to train his lower body this summer. He's so weak, he gets pushed off by 6'0'' players... If he can get stronger on his skates, he'd be better along the boards. He has such tiny legs...

McCarron aka big mac has tiny legs?

He's 6 6", people that are taller have balance issues. He's a great learner & will continue to improve in the offseason..
I was hoping he could be given a few shots at the power play by now since this coach liked putting Chara in front for screens.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Deebs
NO MORE RUSSIANS!!!!

Love Big Mac's progress this year. He'll be our #3C right from the get go next year.

Deebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 06:02 PM
dkdaniel
GO HABS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebs View Post
Love Big Mac's progress this year. He'll be our #3C right from the get go next year.
No.

dkdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote