HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Your first composite stick

Old
03-18-2017, 07:59 PM
HansonBro

vCash: 500
Your first composite stick

Any cool stories?

I got the red Titan Gretzky stick for Xmas. 4 goals in my first game with it. I can't recall how long ago that was (at least 12-15 years ago), but the stick still survives to this day.

That being said I'm still not sold on composite even though that's all I buy

Last edited by HansonBro: Yesterday at 07:24 AM.
HansonBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 09:47 PM
Ozz

Easton S7, after YEARS of refusing to do it and sticking to my trusty aluminum. The time came when I couldn't find a proper replacement blade the aluminum, so I picked up the composite. Broke not even 2 weeks after the warranty expired, pissed me off.

Got a differnet blade on the aluminum after that, and didn't get another composite for a while. Now it's all I use (only high end, however) but it took a while to get there.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 12:11 AM
AIREAYE

Bauer Supreme One55. Thought it was so much lighter than my wood One55! Scored my first ever goal in organized hockey with it too.

Then, when I was on a trip to NY/NJ, PureHockey had a thing where they gave you a credit if you brought an old/broken composite to recycle and so I left it behind to pick up a Warrior Dolomite shaft.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:10 AM
Weber
Fugu is my mom

vCash: 50
Can't find a full pic, but it was the Easton Yzerman shaft. Got it waay back in novice like 14 years ago

Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:13 AM
Cousin Eddie
Trollin' For Nolan

vCash: 177
TPS Response. Tucker curve.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Zorf
Let's win it all- MR

I bought an Eason composite shaft when they first came out. Back then, composite shafts and monster warranties (at least a year) so when it snapped I brought it back. They didn't have any composite shafts left so I picked a Nike aluminum shaft. I still use that beast for ball hockey, but I'm running out of blades for it.

A couple years ago I broke the two composite sticks I use for ice hockey and had to use that aluminum stick for a game. Some little punk was being a little punk, so I gave him a healthy slash on the leg. The weight of that stick, and the thud it made, and the look of agony on the punk's face made me consider using that monster as my full-time stick.

The guy even said to me later, "What the hell is that stick?" haha.

A sports store near my house sometimes has deals where they sell two pro sticks for $150. I usually buy those sticks. I'm not picky as to which brand of stick I use although I have a Warrior right now and I love it. I like 100 flex, and it has to be a grippy stick.

One of the first 1-piece composite sticks I bought was this royal blue Mission stick. I thought it was weirdly heavy for a composite, but it was on a ridiculous sale so I bought it. I took 1 slap shot in the game I played and the puck just launched into orbit. It almost hit the damn ceiling of the rink.
I skated to the bench, swapped for my trusty old stick (was a Warrior shaft with a composite blade) and after the game I sold the Mission stick to a buddy for $20. Was a couple years before I bought another 1-piece stick.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:58 AM
HansonBro

I should mention my dad owned one of if not the first one piece sticks ever in the Koho xl1. I believe it came out in the late 70s

HansonBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:23 PM
MullerBrotenVerbeek

After playing in college I hung it up for about 5-6 years. When I came back to play a mens league season composites were a thing. My first was a Bauer/Nike Gagne pattern. I think I had a hatty my first game back, but I only showed up to a handful of games that season, then stopped playing for another 8-9 years. I still have the stick lying around somewhere, but since getting back into playing fulltime (on 3 teams now), I use Warrior Henrique/Backstrom W03 curve.

MullerBrotenVerbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:40 PM
FLYLine27
BUCH

Who actually remembers this? I would have no idea.

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:21 PM
IME

vCash: 50
Three years ago. I broke my wooden Easton stick (long live that Forsberg curve) and I needed a stick immediately for my game the next night. I went to go buy another wooden one, but the cheapest stick was $34.99, and the shop had a composite for $39.99. I grabbed the composite (Bauer s160?), scored two goals, and never looked back.

Now I just take advantage of Hockey Monkey's B1G1 deals that come around every so often to pick up a couple of composites for under $50.

IME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:24 PM
Bondoao1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weber View Post
Can't find a full pic, but it was the Easton Yzerman shaft. Got it waay back in novice like 14 years ago

I dont remember what my first composite stick was, but I do know it was an Easton.
I also know that through the early 2000's I used quite a few of the Yzerman shafts as well as the Easton Octane shafts. I still have a couple Octanes too.

Bondoao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:40 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine27 View Post
Who actually remembers this? I would have no idea.
Then why even bother posting?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:13 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Same old Caps

vCash: 439
This

What I use today

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 07:04 AM
leftwinger37

My first composite was a shaft: Branches Double Trouble. Still my favorite shaft of all-time. The top half was carbon and the bottom half was Kevlar. It was well balanced, durable, and was the first shaft I had ever seen with a contoured, "C" shaped top half that gradually turned into square construction at the bottom. My original one was stolen, then Branches went bust some time in the mid-2000s. After years of scouring, I found one on Ebay about two years ago. I don't use standard shafts for ice hockey any more, but I use it for inline. Still holds up well to current offerings in my opinion.

My first composite OPS was a Warrior Dolomite pro stock (dressed as an AK-27) with a Drury curve. I loved those first-generation Dolomite sticks for their balance. It also ended up being really durable and man did I beat the hell out of that stick.

Last edited by leftwinger37: 03-21-2017 at 07:10 AM.
leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 01:11 PM
Bondoao1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondoao1 View Post
I dont remember what my first composite stick was, but I do know it was an Easton.
I also know that through the early 2000's I used quite a few of the Yzerman shafts as well as the Easton Octane shafts. I still have a couple Octanes too.

I found one of my old Yzerman sticks in the corner of my garage. LOL I thought I broke them all...

Bondoao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 02:16 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

the original easton stealth

that was one sleek twig

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 03:53 PM
Jisatsu

vCash: 430
First composite shaft was a Lafontaine I got around 95'. I then got the lousiville version soon afterwards. First one piece composite was the first louisville they had back in the day. I loved it because it lasted forever. No more wooden blades in aluminium or composite shafts. I stuck with louisville till they were TPS, then slowly made my way to eastons in 2010 when I came back to the sport. Now I go back and forth between warrior and bauer. I still use two pieces here and there, but warrior and easton are my go to one pieces. I still have all my old sticks except for most of my broken woody's and my original lafontaine shaft.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 04:43 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Easton T Flex I think... My friends had the Z Bubble which I remember was dope!

Or maybe ultra lite?

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 07:39 PM
manictech

It was an Easton, don't remember whose stick it was but it was handed to me over the glass at an NHL game. Played with it for years.

manictech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 04:16 PM
Montgomery81

An orange, black, and grey Nike Bauer One70 with the P88 pattern. I still have it, but now it's used to flick used mouse traps into the garbage, Scott Mellanby-style.

Montgomery81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 08:20 PM
jaysoneil

Easton Z-Bubble and Easton Typhoon. 70 Flex, Yzerman curve.

Shafts were fairly light, but the blades were heavy af.

jaysoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 01:32 AM
hockey17jp
Lets Go Jackets!

I got a TPS Response with a Nash curve for my first year of hockey when I was probably 8-9 years old.

hockey17jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 05:36 AM
Asiantuntija

CCM Vector Glen Metropolit edition

He was the star player of my favorite team Jokerit when it still was a Jokerit not a team russia.

Asiantuntija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 04:37 PM
FLYLine27
BUCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Then why even bother posting?
Because it's a message board and I have an opinion on the thread. It wasn't meant to be insulting.

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Devil Dancer

Nike Bauer Vapor Apollo

I still have it. Now it's my measuring stick.

EDIT: wait no, I got rid of the Apollo but my second compisite, a Vapor XVI, became my measuring stick.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote