Notices

Patrik Laine Part V: The Man with the Golden Stick

Old
03-20-2017, 10:50 AM
CaptainChef

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I've noticed the Jets have recently done an excellent job of taking away Laine's one-timer by moving him to the right point on the power play.

Maurice needs to pack his bags.
Yep, that's so typical Maurice. Have one of the most productive lines in hockey -- you break them up the moment they cool off & rarely ever try them again. Have a top-scoring rookie who is dynamite on the PP -- first you move him to the second PP unit to decrease his ice-time & then you move him to his off side so that his one-timer is less effective.

What ever happened to the fire Maurice thread -- I guess we've all got so used to his neutering his most talented players that we've just come to expect it already.

CaptainChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:59 AM
Rambokala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChef View Post
Yep, that's so typical Maurice. Have one of the most productive lines in hockey -- you break them up the moment they cool off & rarely ever try them again. Have a top-scoring rookie who is dynamite on the PP -- first you move him to the second PP unit to decrease his ice-time & then you move him to his off side so that his one-timer is less effective.

What ever happened to the fire Maurice thread -- I guess we've all got so used to his neutering his most talented players that we've just come to expect it already.
Patty hasn't scored from the point in a long time on powerplay, so some changes were warranted. Patty claimed that they get more shots off this way, but it hasn't been so. I think both PP units should be rebuild.

Rambokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:02 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChef View Post
There are three to choose from:

When should & when do expect Maurice to be fired? > http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2202413
Are the players losing faith in Maurice? > http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2201867
Paul Maurice mega-thread Part III > http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2188241

They've slipped to the 2nd page of threads.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Howard Chuck

I've also noticed after the first month or two, he never takes a chance really committing on a forecheck, he always hangs back. I'm sure this is in an attempt to make him a better two way player, as they did this with Schief as well.

It's not a bad thing, I just wonder about whether everyone needs to be a two way player or if some are unique enough to just make them a scoring machine. I honestly don't know.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:36 PM
Gurilla

vCash: 300
Still kinda crazy to think this guy plays for our team. Been pinching myself since the draft lotto.

Gurilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:39 PM
pucka lucka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
I've also noticed after the first month or two, he never takes a chance really committing on a forecheck, he always hangs back. I'm sure this is in an attempt to make him a better two way player, as they did this with Schief as well.

It's not a bad thing, I just wonder about whether everyone needs to be a two way player or if some are unique enough to just make them a scoring machine. I honestly don't know.
it's a terrible thing. Coaches love to try and turn elite scorers into ****ing Adam Lowry.

pucka lucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:50 PM
Trilliann

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurilla View Post
Still kinda crazy to think this guy plays for our team. Been pinching myself since the draft lotto.
haha yes, the lottery was less than a year ago and here we are complaining about him losing the Rocket Richard race

Trilliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Se829ne
Expendable enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliann View Post
haha yes, the lottery was less than a year ago and here we are complaining about him losing the Rocket Richard race
Gotta love your wisdom.

There are still more season left for him then he lost.

He is in 2 games goalless "streak"!

Goal scoring - according to Laine - it feels always same...

When it comes to goal scoring consistency regardless of situation in the team environment, please show me more consistent goal scorer during the season 2016-17.

For Laine these things won't ever go old. If that happens, he simply makes necessary conclusions and start do something else. It's written all over the guy.

If Maurice put him to tinker Jets leaking defense, he will be fine (still scoring). If he must penalty kill, he will learn the drill. If he must give a shoulder and psycho-therapy for his team mate, he will...

If there are no other goalies in Jets available, he will adapt.

His mind would be still fully in the Team offense.

It's not his fault he is not used to the limits of his psyche.

Se829ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Howard Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se829ne View Post
Gotta love your wisdom.

There are still more season left for him then he lost.

He is in 2 games goalless "streak"!

Goal scoring - according to Laine - it feels always same...

When it comes to goal scoring consistency regardless of situation in the team environment, please show me more consistent goal scorer during the season 2016-17.

For Laine these things won't ever go old. If that happens, he simply makes necessary conclusions and start do something else. It's written all over the guy.

If Maurice put him to tinker Jets leaking defense, he will be fine (still scoring). If he must penalty kill, he will learn the drill. If he must give a shoulder and psycho-therapy for his team mate, he will...

If there are no other goalies in Jets available, he will adapt.

His mind would be still fully in the Team offense.

It's not his fault he is not used to the limits of his psyche.
Wonder how he is at coaching?

Old
03-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Se829ne
Expendable enforcer

Quote:
Wonder how he is at coaching?
I don't know about that, but sure he has currently somewhat supreme authority over little guys all around the world trying to learn how to shoot a puck with their 3 feet sticks.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:52 PM
Howard Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se829ne View Post
I don't know about that, but sure he has currently somewhat supreme authority over little guys all around the world trying to learn how to shoot a puck with their 3 feet sticks.
I like your outlook!

Old
03-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Mortimer Snerd

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I've noticed the Jets have recently done an excellent job of taking away Laine's one-timer by moving him to the right point on the power play.

Maurice needs to pack his bags.
I understand the move to RW 5v5 but on the PP? W.T.F. Paul?

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:04 PM
winnipegger

vCash: 353
I don't know why Laine isn't out on the PP for 1 min + every time. He is always shortchanged in PP time by guys like Adam Lowry. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and Maurice is not playing his most dangerous weapon as often as he can. Not buying an argument from authority that Maurice knows what he's doing. I don't think he does.

winnipegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:37 PM
Howard Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegger View Post
I don't know why Laine isn't out on the PP for 1 min + every time. He is always shortchanged in PP time by guys like Adam Lowry. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and Maurice is not playing his most dangerous weapon as often as he can. Not buying an argument from authority that Maurice knows what he's doing. I don't think he does.
Not just his most dangerous weapon but wasting valuable time for him to adapt in a year that is supposed to be for development. He should have been learning to be Ovi all year. We obviously weren't trying to win so we should have been letting him practice.

All my opinion of course.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:06 PM
winnipegger

vCash: 353
Some people think it's just "derp derp put Laine out for 2 mins every PP". Not at all what I'm saying. Last game he had one open look on the PP and it was a complete bomb off the crossbar. I just want to see that more often instead of Buff and Wheeler being trotted out for 1:20 seconds every time.

winnipegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:02 AM
kelsier

Quote:
No. That's on Maurice, 110%. He has to go. The team is being ran by players (the vets), not the coach. It calls for lack of authority. Even if that wasn't the case, then all you could say is Maurice being a mor*n and not having a clue how to utilise his best assets. In what world is the team's best goal scorer (by far) playing in a second PP unit? That just doesn't happen. Meanwhile in Winnipeg everything is possible.

kelsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Howard Chuck

Quote:
Some people think it's just "derp derp put Laine out for 2 mins every PP". Not at all what I'm saying. Last game he had one open look on the PP and it was a complete bomb off the crossbar. I just want to see that more often instead of Buff and Wheeler being trotted out for 1:20 seconds every time.
.... and missing the net or pounding it into kneepads.

Old
03-21-2017, 09:07 AM
Howard Chuck

I have to assume there is a reason for the PP situation being played the was it is. I just wish I understood it. I think this was the perfect year to have Laine (and the other young guys) work on the PP over and over. As it is, now we are going to have to start next year making adjustments if we are to suddenly decide that Laine is pretty good on the PP.

I understand that the current PP1 has been doing pretty well, but the end goal of this season wasn't to get the vets (who aren't as talented) going.

I also understand that Laine has been getting a lot of PP time for a rookie. It's just that he is such a special player and it seems that we aren't letting him develop into what he is. He's an offensive juggernaut with a very VERY rare talent, just let him continue to develop that.

Old
03-21-2017, 09:11 AM
SCP Guy

He better score tonight or Im going to be upset

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Rambokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
He better score tonight or Im going to be upset
And 1 point isn't going to cut it! He needs a multi-point game if he wants to have a shot at the Calder.

Old
03-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast

I think it's a waste they play him up top on the right side in the Umbrella, instead of on the left half wall in the 1-3-1.

Figure it out MoPon.

Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:56 AM
kanadalainen
The spruce returns

Quote:
Quote:
Not just his most dangerous weapon but wasting valuable time for him to adapt in a year that is supposed to be for development. He should have been learning to be Ovi all year. We obviously weren't trying to win so we should have been letting him practice.

All my opinion of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsier View Post
In what world is the team's best goal scorer (by far) playing in a second PP unit? That just doesn't happen. Meanwhile in Winnipeg everything is possible.
Echoing these sentiments... Laine is clearly underutilized and coach Maurice is missing the boat. Free up your thinking Maurice. Live a little.

kanadalainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 11:24 PM
uTurris
We the True North

Patrik Laine

Didn't realize how close his name was to Patrick Kane's.

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 03:11 AM
Rambokala

Last edited by Rambokala: 03-22-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old
03-22-2017, 03:16 AM
Se829ne
Expendable enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post
Coreography could be directly cut to Drive movie's elevator scene without being out of place.