Notices

The Goldilocks Game, 5-4 Jets

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2017, 09:55 AM
Jetfaninflorida
Southernmost Jet Fan

vCash: 500
I only saw bits and pieces of this one due to guests at the house. Whenever peeked at the game, the Wild were all over us. I saw the score when we were up 3 zip. Then I saw at the end of the second when it was 4-4. Then, I had the great fortune of seeing the goal for us to go up 5 to 4. Then I had the greater fortune of seeing Buf catch the puck, **** his arm, and throw the puck a mile down the ice. I laughed out loud, and still chuckle thinking about it. I was mesmerized watching the replays, thinking to myself 'what was he thinking'. I can't help but think that he too was laughing inside when he did it before really realizing what exactly he had done.

I was sure we were going to overtime but somehow puck luck was with us.

I was looking forward to seeing Brian Strait play, but unfortunately didn't get enough of the game. Afterall, Chevy had been trying to get him for a few years (I am pretty sure that's what Chevy said), so he must be really really good. Right?

LOL - I see that the auto-censor blocked out one of my words. For the record, the word that I used was in this context as per dictionary: to draw back (one's fist, arm, etc.)

Last edited by Jetfaninflorida: 03-20-2017 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Last sentence
Old
03-20-2017, 10:20 AM
Rambokala

vCash: 50
Fun fact: Laine was the only Finnish player out of 5 who didn't get into the scoreboard.

Old
03-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Guffman
Strait is Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Really a shame the anti-tank thread was closed. I thought it was only going to get shut down when we were mathematically eliminated. Not only are we not eliminated, our odds have actually improved since the thread was closed, and if Nashville loses tonight our odds of getting in double

Sportsclubstats actually shows us having a .2% chance to win Lord Stanley's cup if we run the table to the end of the season. Can it happen????

Let me put it this way, if we can win with a lineup with Strait, Stuart, Melchiori and Thorburn, AND with Hellebuyck getting pulled after letting in 4 goals in 10 minutes, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE
When an extreme optimist like myself has accepted our fate, it's time to move on to next year.

Old
03-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Guffman
Strait is Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I think he'll bounce back, if and by how much will depend on how much of a decent back up he has and goalie coaching...

To be fair, analytics suggest that the average expected goals against for the Jets was 4. So he wasn't off overall in performance from expectations, regardless of which ones went in and which ones did not.
How do you compute that? Are you factoring actual roster players (e.g. the butchered D we had), home/road teams, Wild playing on a back to back, actual shots the game, quality of shots etc.

If we were to use this "expected goals against" to justify Hellebuyck's performance, I hope it's factoring all pertinent factors.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:12 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffman View Post
How do you compute that? Are you factoring actual roster players (e.g. the butchered D we had), home/road teams, Wild playing on a back to back, actual shots the game, quality of shots etc.

If we were to use this "expected goals against" to justify Hellebuyck's performance, I hope it's factoring all pertinent factors.
Expected goal model gives you the average number of goals one should expect given quantity and quality factors.

On average, a team taking as many shots as the Wild did, with the shot quality variables we account for (shot distance, shot angle, handedness of shooter vs side of ice, seconds from last event not in defensive zone, seconds from last shot on net, and historical finishing of shooter) and other adjustment factors (home/away, score of the game, man power, etc.) score 4.34 goals.

I'm not justifying any sort of performance, but it does give context that on average a goalie is expected to allow a similar number of goals against. I will also point out that Hellebuyck on average has been allowing slightly more goals against than expected over the season... so it's not like expected goals excuse Hellebuyck of his performance.

Now for some stats lecturing (feel free to ignore )

In regards to "all" pertinent factors, there is no eye test or model that will actually factor all pertinent factors. However, there is a diminishing return with each additional factor you add for, and models tend to out perform even expert eyetests (and especially layman eyetests).

As I noted to you previously about expected goals, for goal scorers, expected goals explain about 82% of the variation we see in actual goals. This means about 28% is unexplained, which will be things we do not account for and in part just luck/variation/human-ups-and-downs.

Each thing we are missing though will only moderately improve the model. For example: Stamkos scores an extra 49% of goals on average relative to expected prior to adding the historical finishing of shooter. A good part of this is Stamkos' natural ability to improve things we are not measuring: shot speed, shot accuracy, creating one timers, etc. While we are not directly accounting for those things directly, we are in part indirectly with adding a regressed shooter history component to expected goals.

In addition, players who are overall good at most areas will be good at most areas. Example: There is a relationship to players who are better scorers and better shot differential players. Looking at only one skill will catch a little bit of the other, so the addition of each incremental skill set diminishes in value added.

As an aside, I will point out that you are confusing inputs and reasons why inputs may be as they are in your above list. Example: team schedule, like back to backs, is merely a factor that will impact the quantity and quality shot variables.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:16 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Time frame?

I gotta think that Copp is closing the gap on the others.
This season.

His scoring has gone up, but so has his quality of teammate. The overall bump has not been much.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:04 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Scheifele mic'd up.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Guffman
Strait is Great!

Quote:
Expected goal model gives you the average number of goals one should expect given quantity and quality factors.

On average, a team taking as many shots as the Wild did, with the shot quality variables we account for (shot distance, shot angle, handedness of shooter vs side of ice, seconds from last event not in defensive zone, seconds from last shot on net, and historical finishing of shooter) and other adjustment factors (home/away, score of the game, man power, etc.) score 4.34 goals.

I'm not justifying any sort of performance, but it does give context that on average a goalie is expected to allow a similar number of goals against. I will also point out that Hellebuyck on average has been allowing slightly more goals against than expected over the season... so it's not like expected goals excuse Hellebuyck of his performance.

Now for some stats lecturing (feel free to ignore )

In regards to "all" pertinent factors, there is no eye test or model that will actually factor all pertinent factors. However, there is a diminishing return with each additional factor you add for, and models tend to out perform even expert eyetests (and especially layman eyetests).

As I noted to you previously about expected goals, for goal scorers, expected goals explain about 82% of the variation we see in actual goals. This means about 28% is unexplained, which will be things we do not account for and in part just luck/variation/human-ups-and-downs.

Each thing we are missing though will only moderately improve the model. For example: Stamkos scores an extra 49% of goals on average relative to expected prior to adding the historical finishing of shooter. A good part of this is Stamkos' natural ability to improve things we are not measuring: shot speed, shot accuracy, creating one timers, etc. While we are not directly accounting for those things directly, we are in part indirectly with adding a regressed shooter history component to expected goals.

In addition, players who are overall good at most areas will be good at most areas. Example: There is a relationship to players who are better scorers and better shot differential players. Looking at only one skill will catch a little bit of the other, so the addition of each incremental skill set diminishes in value added.

As an aside, I will point out that you are confusing inputs and reasons why inputs may be as they are in your above list. Example: team schedule, like back to backs, is merely a factor that will impact the quantity and quality shot variables.
Oh, I just wanted to understand the inputs. Thanks. That actually sounds reasonably based and I appreciate the time you took to explain it.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:37 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffman View Post
Oh, I just wanted to understand the inputs. Thanks. That actually sounds reasonably based and I appreciate the time you took to explain it.
No problem.

I spaced out the stuff so you could stop reading in case I went too much into detail.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:41 PM
MardyBum

Quote:
No problem.

I spaced out the stuff so you could stop reading in case I went too much into detail.
Many of us would like to have a better understanding of new and more advanced methods of tracking player and team performance, but have no idea where to start looking or how to start, so please keep going into more detail on them.

Your WAR posts have me following DTMAH on twitter now and trying to learn more. Keep it up, you're educating a generation of Jets fans (at least on here )

Old
03-20-2017, 09:12 PM
Whileee

I thought it was a bigger beat-down than this chart seems to suggest...

Closed Thread