Expansion draft

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2017, 10:09 AM
ducky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
Tomorrow night we will witness a Jets defense without Trouba, Myers and Enstrom. If we win, clearly we're OK and can buy out Enstrom. If we lose, it will be all Buff's fault, and he should be moved. That NMC of his is just a minor obstacle to be overcome. Either way, we can go 7-3-1 and can hang onto all of our powerhouse bottom 6 forwards. Jeez, it's not like this whole GM'ing thing is rocket surgery.
Got to figure Myers is untradeable at this time. Enstrom has 1 year left on a $5 million + contract. He is regressing as a player, is injury prone and expensive. It would be very difficult to re sign him IMO. Do you protect Enstrom for 1 season and lose Lowry?

Whatever happens the Jets need to improve the LHD position for next season. There is not a fix in the system.

Morrissey - Trouba
UFA/trade - Byfuglien
Enstrom/Chairot/Poolman/UFA - Myers

Old
03-19-2017, 11:58 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
Pretty simple for me. Jets defence will be an absolute tire fire if they lose either of Enstrom or Myers. You protect 4-4-1 Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Perrault - Myers, Buff, Enstrom, Trouba - Hellebucyk. Lose Lowry replace him with Copp and Connor takes Copp's spot on the wing. The starting line up is probably barely worse off in that scenario, if not just as good
Actually the trade there is Connor for Lowry. If all goes according to expectations, even the more conservative expectations we are better.

Hate to lose Lowry but we have to lose 1 good player. So do 29 other teams.

Maybe with Lowry gone Maurice will opt for a more skilled 3rd line that can score. Win/Win!

Old
03-19-2017, 12:08 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Actually the trade there is Connor for Lowry. If all goes according to expectations, even the more conservative expectations we are better.

Hate to lose Lowry but we have to lose 1 good player. So do 29 other teams.

Maybe with Lowry gone Maurice will opt for a more skilled 3rd line that can score. Win/Win!
I was thinking the same as you talent wise.

I just posted in terms of role. Copp is probably just as good or close to as good as Lowry in Lowry's role and Connor will be probably just as good and substantially better in the future than Copp at Copp's role on the wing.

I agree Lowry getting picked may even save the Jets from themselves but at this stage I'mholding very little hope for Maurice as a modern NHL coach.

As an aside, Copp or Lowry are easily the most replaceable because whichever one doesn't get picked assumes the checking centre role and we don't skip a beat. I just happen to think Lowry is more likely to get picked and Copp is more talented and has more offensive upside.

Old
03-20-2017, 02:00 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
I was thinking the same as you talent wise.

I just posted in terms of role. Copp is probably just as good or close to as good as Lowry in Lowry's role and Connor will be probably just as good and substantially better in the future than Copp at Copp's role on the wing.

I agree Lowry getting picked may even save the Jets from themselves but at this stage I'mholding very little hope for Maurice as a modern NHL coach.

As an aside, Copp or Lowry are easily the most replaceable because whichever one doesn't get picked assumes the checking centre role and we don't skip a beat. I just happen to think Lowry is more likely to get picked and Copp is more talented and has more offensive upside.
Agree. They are interchangeable. Copp doesn't have Lowry's heavy game (and he doesn't give as good an interview ) but he has a little better scoring touch. Both are good 4C's/LW's. Both can play 3rd line in a pinch.

With that in mind it probably makes sense to try to maneuvre so that LV takes either one or the other of them. The one left takes over the job.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:47 PM
10Ducky10

All we need to do is expose MP and all is good.
We lose MP's contract and keep the youngsters.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
All we need to do is expose MP and all is good.
We lose MP's contract and keep the youngsters.
Unfortunately, along with his contract we lose MP.

That assumes LV takes him. Maybe they don't like his contract any more than you do.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:58 PM
10Ducky10

He's had time in the top 6 and is signed for 4 years...I would bet they take him.
7-3-1
Scheif Wheeler Little Lowry are protected and MP and Matthias are exposed.

8-1
Trouba Buff Enstrom Myers Lowry Wheeler Little Scheif are protected and Armia Copp Dano Matthias and MP are exposed....they probably still take MP.

Old
03-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
Vegas will be so hard done by finding top six forwards and centers. If either Perreault or Lowry is there, that would be the no brainer pick for them.

Myers is interesting. There's lots of high paid veteran defensemen that are going to be exposed. Add to that there will be several good young pros available to them as well. If we went 7-3-1 there's a chance they may pass him up for Dano or Copp. Big maybe though.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He's had time in the top 6 and is signed for 4 years...I would bet they take him.
7-3-1
Scheif Wheeler Little Lowry are protected and MP and Matthias are exposed.

8-1
Trouba Buff Enstrom Myers Lowry Wheeler Little Scheif are protected and Armia Copp Dano Matthias and MP are exposed....they probably still take MP.
Yup, he's a top 6 player and you want to give him up to protect a 4C.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:23 PM
10Ducky10

I wanna get rid of him because 4.125m is too much for a 3rd line LWer which is what he will be after next season if not sooner.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:24 PM
10Ducky10

Quote:
Yup, he's a top 6 player and you want to give him up to protect a 4C.
If the 4C you mention is Copp?, I have him more as a 3rd line RW.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:51 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
I wanna get rid of him because 4.125m is too much for a 3rd line LWer which is what he will be after next season if not sooner.
Why would anyone give 4.125 million per season to a player who will most likely have 25 - 30 pts and has average to below-average underlying numbers?

HE will most likely top out as a 2.5 - 3 million dollar per year player.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:17 PM
10Ducky10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Why would anyone give 4.125 million per season to a player who will most likely have 25 - 30 pts and has average to below-average underlying numbers?

HE will most likely top out as a 2.5 - 3 million dollar per year player.
Not sure what u nderlying numbers you are talking about but you do know that the deal he signed last summer cuts in starting next season right?
4 x 4.125m.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:18 PM
10Ducky10

Or are you talking about Copp?
I was talking about MP.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:44 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
Vegas will be so hard done by finding top six forwards and centers. If either Perreault or Lowry is there, that would be the no brainer pick for them.

Myers is interesting. There's lots of high paid veteran defensemen that are going to be exposed. Add to that there will be several good young pros available to them as well. If we went 7-3-1 there's a chance they may pass him up for Dano or Copp. Big maybe though.
It's about asset value. If they select Myers (assuming he's healthy), they could then trade him for a F of higher value than Copp or Dano. It's the same reason they should protect Myers even if they decide to trade him later.

Old
03-20-2017, 11:34 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Or are you talking about Copp?
I was talking about MP.
My apologies, I thought you were talking about another player not Perreault.

Old
03-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If the 4C you mention is Copp?, I have him more as a 3rd line RW.
Interesting, since he plays LW.

Perreault may get pushed down to the 3rd line, or not. He is a legitimate top 6 winger though. That is his value and that is how he is paid. If we can't afford him (I think we can but that could change) then trade him for value. That is not a very good argument for exposing him in order to protect a 4th liner. The 4th liner in question is probably Lowry but maybe Copp. Both are 4th liners, here and on many teams.

Perreault may regress in a couple of years and actually be a 3rd liner. That would still not be a terrible contract for a 3LW for his last 2 years.

Old
03-21-2017, 11:31 AM
10Ducky10

Quote:
Interesting, since he plays LW.

Perreault may get pushed down to the 3rd line, or not. He is a legitimate top 6 winger though. That is his value and that is how he is paid. If we can't afford him (I think we can but that could change) then trade him for value. That is not a very good argument for exposing him in order to protect a 4th liner. The 4th liner in question is probably Lowry but maybe Copp. Both are 4th liners, here and on many teams.

Perreault may regress in a couple of years and actually be a 3rd liner. That would still not be a terrible contract for a 3LW for his last 2 years.
I cant edit... I meant left winger.

Old
03-21-2017, 11:45 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 50
MP is the guy you hope gets chosen by the Vegas team, MP isn't worth his contract (thanks again Chevy)!

Old
03-21-2017, 11:50 AM
JetBlue420

Upon further reflection MP at 4.125 is not a bad option for a 3rd line LW...

So yeah, I'd keep him over 4th liners like Copp or even Dano for that matter, i know people love Dano but it's pretty obvious the Jets see him as a bottom 6 talent...

I'd probably ask Toby to waive his NMC and go 7 3 1.. Maybe throw a carrot Vegas way to get them to not pick Toby either...

So I'd protect Buff Trouba Myers

Scheif Wheeler Little Lowry Perreault Armia and one of Copp or Dano (have to yet to decide who)

Helle

Exposed: Hutch,Stuart,Dano or Copp,Matthias.

It is what it is.

Laine Scheif Ehlers

Connor Little Wheeler

Perreault Lowry Armia

That's a pretty good top 9.... I only put Lowry there because i assume Maurice will be back and since Lowry and Maurice are dating, yeah he stays there.

Old
03-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
MP is the guy you hope gets chosen by the Vegas team, MP isn't worth his contract (thanks again Chevy)!
Awful contract...

BTW: here's a list of players currently tied with or closely trailing Perreault in points/game:

Rick Nash ($7.8M)
Zach Parise ($7.5M)
Daniel Sedin ($7M)
David Backes ($6M)
Matt Duchene ($6M)
Brandon Dubinsky ($5.8M)
Mike Cammalleri ($5M)
Valtteri Filppula ($5M)

Old
03-21-2017, 12:17 PM
Gil Fisher

I get the lure and value of Lowry, but at the end of the day he'll never be a scoring centre. Do we really expose middle six potential to protect a 4th line centre?

Old
03-21-2017, 12:29 PM
JetBlue420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
I get the lure and value of Lowry, but at the end of the day he'll never be a scoring centre. Do we really expose middle six potential to protect a 4th line centre?
I don't disagree with you here. Nobody does probably. But... At this point, i think you need to look at it from a jets POV... Maurice praises Lowry every day, they love him, He's his project, the man, he's his pet, he's his BOY... He's being protected.

Old
03-21-2017, 03:12 PM
10Ducky10

Lowry will be protected regardless if 3 or 4 D men are protected. I think MP is protected in the draft but I wouldn't protect him. His contract will be ugly in a couple of years as 4.125m is too much to pay for a 3rd line winger. See who Vegas would want and make a deal with them....

Old
03-21-2017, 03:22 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Awful contract...

BTW: here's a list of players currently tied with or closely trailing Perreault in points/game:

Rick Nash ($7.8M)
Zach Parise ($7.5M)
Daniel Sedin ($7M)
David Backes ($6M)
Matt Duchene ($6M)
Brandon Dubinsky ($5.8M)
Mike Cammalleri ($5M)
Valtteri Filppula ($5M)
Holy ****! You didn't use an emoji, and I was still able to tell that was sarcasm. How is that possible?

Closed Thread