HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A question regarding going to the game Tuesday

Old
03-20-2017, 04:29 PM
905PENS
Oskee wee wee

vCash: 500
A question regarding going to the game Tuesday

So, im a penguins fan who lives in southern Ontario. Ive had three friends have beer thrown at them, or spit on. They advised me to not wear any penguins gear. However, they were leafs/habs/wings fans. Is it the same across the board? Should I play it safe and just leave my gear at home?

905PENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:38 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905PENS View Post
So, im a penguins fan who lives in southern Ontario. Ive had three friends have beer thrown at them, or spit on. They advised me to not wear any penguins gear. However, they were leafs/habs/wings fans. Is it the same across the board? Should I play it safe and just leave my gear at home?
Wear your gear, just don't interact with the idiots that try to act tough.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:39 PM
Samsonite23

Definitely wear your gear.

Samsonite23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:43 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
I'm a STH ... so i see a lot of fans of other teams.

If you cheer/clap when your team scores. Or make a "oh man did you see that play by So-n-so?" comment ... You'll have no issues.

If you loudly and obnoxiously slam the sabres, the city, the fans, the owner etc ... then yea, expect to have beer, or anything else thrown on you.

Yes, you can wear your gear ... Be respectful, logical, and easy going ... an you'll have a good time!

Be obnoxious, rude, and a drunk IQ ash hoe ... and you are just wasting your money because you'll be expelled by an usher.

I see that a few times a year.

Have fun. I'll be there too

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:44 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

The Sabres crowds are a lot different from the Bills crowds. If this were a Bills game I would advise you to leave the jersey at home. Hockey crowds tend to be a little more upscale and family oriented. As long as you're not acting like a drunken idiot you'll be fine. Wear the gear.

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:49 PM
905PENS
Oskee wee wee

I don't drink, and ussualy congratulate the other team on good goals and clap if the other team scores. I guess really, its luck of the draw. Every team has stupid fans that give the good ones a bad name. I'll leave my signed Crosby jersey at home and wear my older one out, just to be safe haha. Im a hockey fan before I'm a penguins fan.

Old
03-20-2017, 04:53 PM
905PENS
Oskee wee wee

Truthfully, im more concerned about getting across the border. My 68 year old uncle was denied entry because of fighting charger when he was 18..I also have one. Haha. Gonna buy tickets AFTER im across the border

*Normally not a fighter, but i caught somone breaking into my neighbours house and he attacked me. Somone called the cops and we both got a charge haha.

Last edited by 905PENS: 03-20-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old
03-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Sansbacon

vCash: 657
Quote:
I don't drink, and ussualy congratulate the other team on good goals and clap if the other team scores. I guess really, its luck of the draw. Every team has stupid fans that give the good ones a bad name. I'll leave my signed Crosby jersey at home and wear my older one out, just to be safe haha. Im a hockey fan before I'm a penguins fan.
You'll be totally fine. You might end up sitting near the people who are overwhelmingly nice just to counter all of the idiots

Buffalonians are generally pretty friendly unless instigated.

Sansbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:57 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansbacon View Post
Buffalonians are generally pretty friendly unless instigated.
Or extremely drunk (which is what happens at Bills games). Drunk fans are unpredictable anywhere you go, but there's not as much pre-game self medicating going on at Sabres games compared to Bills games.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:24 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I'm a STH ... so i see a lot of fans of other teams.

If you cheer/clap when your team scores. Or make a "oh man did you see that play by So-n-so?" comment ... You'll have no issues.

If you loudly and obnoxiously slam the sabres, the city, the fans, the owner etc ... then yea, expect to have beer, or anything else thrown on you.

Yes, you can wear your gear ... Be respectful, logical, and easy going ... an you'll have a good time!

Be obnoxious, rude, and a drunk IQ ash hoe ... and you are just wasting your money because you'll be expelled by an usher.

I see that a few times a year.

Have fun. I'll be there too
well said

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:22 PM
threeVo

If you sit in the 100 level i dont expect you to have any issue. Rarely in the 300s you will get in a section with some wannabe toughguy college kids who think its a Bills game.

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:42 PM
dan213

This isn't California. People here don't assault others over wearing opposing team's jerseys.

dan213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Randall Flagg

Right now Sabres games aren't the cool place to be, so the degree of hockey knowledge among fans should be pretty high relative to, say, 2006-07 when everyone and their grandma was a "Sabres fan - Pommennville is SOOOOOO CUTE"

So hopefully you get a seat next to some good fans. I've spent games having great hockey conversations with opposing fans and the other Sabres fans around us.

Randall Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:02 PM
Flamer12

vCash: 50
Wear your gear. Do not be a moron though.

Flamer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:33 PM
905PENS
Oskee wee wee

Im Definitely not a moron haha. Especially because im in a different country lol. The last thing i want is to get in trouble. I just want to watch hockey. Do you guys feel it will be hard to get 4 seats the day of? Im waiting until after im over the border haha.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:53 PM
Sabretooth

vCash: 2095
There might be more penguins fans at the arena tomorrow than sabres fans.

Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:03 PM
Mattilaus

vCash: 123
I have gone to sabres games with leaf fans and oiler fans wearing their gear and we never have any issues. Most people are rather friendly.

Mattilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:59 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Im Definitely not a moron haha. Especially because im in a different country lol. The last thing i want is to get in trouble. I just want to watch hockey. Do you guys feel it will be hard to get 4 seats the day of? Im waiting until after im over the border haha.
I havent seen a conflict since the year Lucic ran Miller and Sabres fans fought random guys ni the beer line for wearing bruins gear. You're more than fine. Either keep to yourself or have meaningful hockey convos with those around you and no one will even notice. You can likely get 4 seats together too as we usually sell out but thats due to season ticket holders. There are always cheap seats available for purchase in our current state. Avoid the 716 as even in our down times...its packed.

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:55 AM
905PENS
Oskee wee wee

Well, you guys have definitely helped. This will be my first nhl game. *I live in Hamilton, Canada's steel city*. I refuse to pay what the leafs are asking for tickets haha. Im sure I'll have a blast. I've been to a bajillion AHL games and a bunch of OHL games. So, im no slouch to live hockey. ☺️. Thanks for being so friendly. I rather enjoy reading ur board... Minimal Crosby bashing haha. Here's to hoping ur team can make the playoffs next year. JE is a stud, hope he stays healthy a majority of his career.

Old
03-21-2017, 09:57 AM
905PENS
Oskee wee wee

Ps, get used to people bashing jack... Remind urself, they're just jelouis thier teams likely doesn't have one of the best in the world on their team.

Old
03-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Sansbacon

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Sabres Captain View Post
Or extremely drunk (which is what happens at Bills games). Drunk fans are unpredictable anywhere you go, but there's not as much pre-game self medicating going on at Sabres games compared to Bills games.
And even then, most tailgaters are out there to have a good time. I can remember (although through a very thick haze) several times that fans of the opposing team would walk by and either offer us a beer, or vice versa, and then have a good time sharing friendly jabs about each other's team, but always laughing about it.

Usually any issues that arise are when a drunk ******* from Buffalo goes a little further than your normal ribbing, and rather than ignoring it, the other guys engaged and then it got messy. Or if the opponents fans were walking around being super arrogant.

So my advice to anyone visiting, would be that if you're showing that you just want to enjoy the game, whether you're cheering for a goal or whatever, as long as you're being classy about it, you'll be fine. You may get a few heckles here and there, but if you play along by just brushing it off or laughing about it, you shouldn't get bothered.

To the OP, the friends who had beers thrown at them and were spit on... I don't know them, but I'd hardly believe they were just minding their own business

Sansbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 11:24 AM
905PENS
Oskee wee wee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansbacon View Post

To the OP, the friends who had beers thrown at them and were spit on... I don't know them, but I'd hardly believe they were just minding their own business
Beleive it or not, they're all really nice quite guys. If anything im the more "Vocal" of them *Which is just me giving a razz back to fans i sence are playfully givin me a hard time, as i enjoy a friend ribbing*. One is coming with me tonight I'm sure it was just bad experiences. My other friend said he goes to most pens vs Sabres games when they play in Buffalo and has never had an issue. There's always a few dumb ass fans out there.

Old
03-21-2017, 09:39 PM
905PENS
Oskee wee wee

Had a pretty good time, Sucks seeing one of our players goes down with a hit to the bean. But, i got the results i wanted. *sorry lol*. Plan on going again with my buddy on the 5th vs habs. As he's a habs fan. However, this time ill go during the day. You guys have alot of beautiful old buildings. And that ship... Is it open to tourist?

Old
03-21-2017, 09:54 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 308
Yes, you can visit the ship - its located in the Buffalo and Erie County Naval and Miltary Park. Website - http://buffalonavalpark.org/
Opening Day for the 2017 season is this Saturday, March 25.
Opened Every Day - Hours - March 25-October 31 - 10:00 am ET to 5:00 pm ET.
Park Admission - Individuals - Adult (17+) $12.00 - Child (6-16) $6.00 - Senior (60+) $8.00
Veterans receive a 10% discount on admission* - Active Duty receive FREE admission* - * Please mention your armed services status when purchasing your tickets.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-21-2017 at 10:03 PM.
LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 10:07 PM
Samsonite23

Quote:
Had a pretty good time, Sucks seeing one of our players goes down with a hit to the bean. But, i got the results i wanted. *sorry lol*. Plan on going again with my buddy on the 5th vs habs. As he's a habs fan. However, this time ill go during the day. You guys have alot of beautiful old buildings. And that ship... Is it open to tourist?
Yes it is. Pretty cool. It's much nicer when the weather is nice. It's $10-15 admission though.

Samsonite23 is offline   Reply With Quote