HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2006-2016 Oilers Era .... The Decade That Was

Old
03-20-2017, 11:55 PM
Asher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAsuno View Post
To be fair, Soundwave could've added a lot more pictures that we would all consider painful. The Smytty trade though broke my heart as a kid.
I would have added the Kevin Lowe billboard:

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:58 PM
McAsuno
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post

Hahaha! I almost forgot about that sign. Should add that Oilers fan who drove his truck accompanied by a "Oilers Blow Fire Lowe" billboard sign.

McAsuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:58 PM
CantHaveTkachev
no joke of a team

vCash: 117
we haven't clinched yet lol...
again, I'll get excited when I see an 'x' by Edmonton...until then, there's still a mathematical chance we miss

anyways...here's a sad video that brings back the dark days:

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:01 AM
Soundwave

Quote:

Added to the OP.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:03 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
I do love McDavid, don't get me wrong, but I don't like how his greatness is used to bash everyone else. The McDavid-less Oilers would still be a team on the rise, and just remember that we would have someone like Hanifin in McDavid's place. Also, I think we could sign free agents. Our city was not the problem for free agents during the rebuild. It was that free agents don't want to be part of a rebuild. Well, without McDavid we would still be trending up. We probably wouldn't get quite as good UFAs though. Maybe not quite as good a GM or coach either. But even then you never know.
To be honest you really arent making much of a statement here. The Oilers were the worst team in NHL history the last 10 years...there was only 1 direction the team could go....up.
The reality is that there is no way to know for sure just how much McDavid changed the fortunes of this team. I would suggest to you that McAsuno is right on the mark here.

This team was obviously going to be better than it was but there was little to suggest that (without McDavid) it was a team 'on the rise'. McDavid was an absolute game changer for this franchise. No McDavid and this is likely a have not team with a nice arena.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:06 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
To be honest you really arent making much of a statement here. The Oilers were the worst team in NHL history the last 10 years...there was only 1 direction the team could go....up.
The reality is that there is no way to know for sure just how much McDavid changed the fortunes of this team. I would suggest to you that McAsuno is right on the mark here.

This team was obviously going to be better than it was but there was little to suggest that (without McDavid) it was a team 'on the rise'. McDavid was an absolute game changer for this franchise. No McDavid and this is likely a have not team with a nice arena.
I have no belief in that old core group, in fact RNH and Eberle are just reaffirming that for me. We would've gone without playoffs for another 5-6 years possibly without winning the McSweepstakes.

Old
03-21-2017, 12:06 AM
Mr Positive
Cap Crunch Incoming

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAsuno View Post

I mean sure, but there's no way the Oilers would be this good with somebody like Hanifin, Strome, Marner, etc. Its not a disrespect to them. Its just McDavid has shown he's up to Crosby's level and perhaps even bigger as he continues to grow and mature. I haven't seen a dynamic player like himself in awhile. Like I said though, Sekera/Lucic, etc have mentioned McDavid being a factor on why they signed here. I mean Lucic was all giddy when asked about Connor at his signing presser.
just to add my context to this: I was the guy in the rebuild who would always say our path would lead to success eventually(hence the username), and was in favour of scorched earth rebuild. People would always be glum about everything and for good reason, but I would "that guy" that said the darkness was greatest before the dawn, bad coaches come and go, our talent level was always increasing, etc..

So now that the team has succeeded I am extremely pleased because I struggled with the losing too, but at the same time getting McDavid basically put the rebuild on easy mode to success, and so my argument isn't really settled. Because really, for all we know, we could still be in the basement without McDavid. I really don't think so, but I can't know and it's a hypothetical I'm losing interest in as time goes on anyway

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:08 AM
CantHaveTkachev
no joke of a team

vCash: 117
July 2nd, 2006-April 18th, 2015

the Decade of Darkness

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:20 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantHaveTkachev View Post
July 2nd, 2006-April 18th, 2015

the Decade of Darkness

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:23 AM
MessierII

Quote:
They let Roloson go supposedly because he wanted a multiyear contract and was too old to sign Khabby, who was almost as old as Roli and had a long history of injuries that Roli didn't have. Oh, and then they gave Khabby more years and more money than Roli was asking for. If it wasn't tanking then it was an insane level of incompetence behind that move.
To be fair khabi was the starting goalie in the conference finals that year and was unreal for Chicago. He was too old for a 4 year deal though no doubt.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:24 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I have no belief in that old core group, in fact RNH and Eberle are just reaffirming that for me. We would've gone without playoffs for another 5-6 years possibly without winning the McSweepstakes.
McDavid wasnt just a great player added to the team....his addition was an absolute paradigm shift for this franchise.
He IS the reason this team is where it is right now. Not just in terms of his play but also in terms of his influence on the organization and how its perceived around the League.
That is not an overstatement...McDavid is that and more.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:25 AM
Wewillrise

I spent a lot of the last 10 years on Oilfans and a few years here reading and hoping for the turn around. I want to thank all the posters that were able to stay optimistic as possible as it helped a lot during it all.

My personal lowest point was during the 20 game loosing streak when I actively cheered against the Oil in hopes it would take down MacT and Eakins.

I started watching the Oil regularly in 05-06 and it was the best sports experience of my life other than Gold in 2010 in Van. Oiler fans are going to give this team so much energy!

I am so ****ing pumped. FINALLY!!!!

Wewillrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:26 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Gene Principe of course is sitting in his room writing puns when the Oilers win the lottery

Old
03-21-2017, 12:26 AM
Ovechclutch

Insert 10 game loosing streak

Ovechclutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:30 AM
Bliss

I feel a picture of the demise of Dubnyk should be in there somewhere but I feel this depressing slide show is a pretty accurate depiction of the Oilers

Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:35 AM
oilersfan87

It took getting a generation talent like McDavid, but finally the Oilers are a legit NHL team. A few years ago I was starting to think it was never going to happen.

oilersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:35 AM
McAsuno
5-14-6-1

Quote:
just to add my context to this: I was the guy in the rebuild who would always say our path would lead to success eventually(hence the username), and was in favour of scorched earth rebuild. People would always be glum about everything and for good reason, but I would "that guy" that said the darkness was greatest before the dawn, bad coaches come and go, our talent level was always increasing, etc..

So now that the team has succeeded I am extremely pleased because I struggled with the losing too, but at the same time getting McDavid basically put the rebuild on easy mode to success, and so my argument isn't really settled. Because really, for all we know, we could still be in the basement without McDavid. I really don't think so, but I can't know and it's a hypothetical I'm losing interest in as time goes on anyway
We could, but we aren't, man. The team we have now is by far greater than any Oilers team we've had for awhile. You don't see teams like the bruins, flyers, ducks, and kings being able to bully the Oilers anymore without any consequences in return. You don't see the Oilers putting their heads down and caving in, if they go down a goal or two. McDavid isn't the only reason for the success this year. Larsson, whom I admitted that I hated the trade when it first happened, made me eat my words. He's a damn stud on the backend. He may not be flashy like guys such as Karlsson, but he's a rock back there. He's a huge pain in the ass to play against and it has shown like every other night thus far, including tonight. Not even a pretty big guy in Muzzin was able to fight off Larsson. Having Larsson also helped lessen the bleeding of our GA which has been garbage for years. He's been a solid duo with Klefbom and I don't think Klefbom would have as much success without Larsson either. Then you add in Talbot who's past or reaching the records of previous Oiler goalies such as Salo and Fuhr himself. If not for Bobrovsky, Dubnyk, and Holtby, I'm sure Talbot would be an automatic Vezina nomination but he's definitely a number one goalie. When I saw the team sticking up for each other especially with that little dirtbag in Tkachuk trying to go after Draisaitl and Connor reacted instantly, I knew the team fights and cares for each other compared to before where it was all cliches like the Hall, RNH, Eberle, Whitney and Schultz, while excluding guys like Yakupov. Then the veterans that seemed to care more about themselves such as Belanger with the elevator incident. Now they have vets like Lucic who know what it takes to be successful and he's been a vocal guy in the room from what everybody has said.

I personally thought this team was a bubble team at best this year but they had me wrong.
They've made a lot of people wrong too actually. Guys like Button who criticized the Maroon trade ate that after. We heard nothing but "LOLOLOL, OILERZZ TRADED A TOP 3 ELITE LW FOR A 4TH/5TH DMAN IN LARSSON." (which was comical considering many people outside Edmonton always crapped on Hall during his tenure as an Oiler.) How Talbot's not a number one goalie, the oilers d is still bottom 5 in the league, Lucic being Clarkson 2.0, how Edmonton's the tundra wasteland where top UFA's refuse to sign, the team that wastes first overall picks, fans that throw jerseys on the ice, and the list goes on from there. Seriously, it makes me feel good knowing how great our team is, especially after all of the debacle-like years we've all endured not only from the crap Oilers hockey but the shots and jabs we took from every other damn fanbase. Its ****ing good knowing we don't have to see the "Hey, I'm a ___ fan, sorry for your team's loss, but your team's gonna be good in the future" pity crap.

McAsuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:41 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wewillrise View Post
I spent a lot of the last 10 years on Oilfans and a few years here reading and hoping for the turn around. I want to thank all the posters that were able to stay optimistic as possible as it helped a lot during it all.

My personal lowest point was during the 20 game loosing streak when I actively cheered against the Oil in hopes it would take down MacT and Eakins.

I started watching the Oil regularly in 05-06 and it was the best sports experience of my life other than Gold in 2010 in Van. Oiler fans are going to give this team so much energy!

20 game losing streaks. Damn. Nice to forget what those are like.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:41 AM
TheRebuild
Bold as Boognish

I honestly feel like Pronger's wife hired some gypsy lady to meet Kevin Lowe in a back alley somewhere, where she ran her hand down his face and was like "loooooser"

TheRebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:43 AM
McFlyingV
#Free :]

vCash: 1567
No disrespect to Eichel, but I still remember a few days before the draft having a nightmare that Edmonton chose Eichel instead of McDavid. What a sick joke that would have been. That lottery was a magical day.

McFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:44 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:
They let Roloson go supposedly because he wanted a multiyear contract and was too old to sign Khabby, who was almost as old as Roli and had a long history of injuries that Roli didn't have. Oh, and then they gave Khabby more years and more money than Roli was asking for. If it wasn't tanking then it was an insane level of incompetence behind that move.
Roloson had a history of not playing his best hockey unless he was in a contract year. I think that's why they were hesitant about him. Not sure what they were thinking about Khabibulin though.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:45 AM
Night Witch
Lockout 2020

Watching that video and seeing those images in the first post reminded me of how much this franchise has pissed me off. Dallas Eakins is and always will be the most ignorant arrogant bass ackwards coach I have and will ever see, MacTavish and Tambellini the most inept and ill prepared general managers I have and ever will see and Kevin Lowe the most arrogant OBC POHO.

I was learning to hate the team I loved since I was a kid and began going to Oiler games in 1977.

After the ridiculous debacle that was the 2014-15 season and the decade of disgusting hockey (chasing the dream as KL called it) ithat preceeded it, I was finally not renewing my season tickets, I couldn't even give them away anymore.

The lottery changed all that and to Katz' credit he made the long overdue changes needed, and necessary to turn this thing around.

Finally finally finally some playoff hockey is coming where I can finally cheer for my team.

I can hardly wait.

Night Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 01:01 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:
I do love McDavid, don't get me wrong, but I don't like how his greatness is used to bash everyone else. The McDavid-less Oilers would still be a team on the rise, and just remember that we would have someone like Hanifin in McDavid's place. Also, I think we could sign free agents. Our city was not the problem for free agents during the rebuild. It was that free agents don't want to be part of a rebuild. Well, without McDavid we would still be trending up. We probably wouldn't get quite as good UFAs though. Maybe not quite as good a GM or coach either. But even then you never know.
The problem was though, that this team wasn't getting better and it wasn't moving up before McDavid got here. We kept talking on here, year after year, that there was no such thing as rock bottom. Things never improved. I'm not sure how Hanifin changes that. I'm also not convinced that whoever becomes GM after Mactavish makes a trade like the Hall for Larsson deal. Chiarelli still took a lot of flack for that deal even though Hall was no longer the teams best forward. No way he gets traded without McDavid here. No way we acquire the top pairing defenseman we needed without trading Hall. McDavid coming here caused a lot of dominoes to fall. I don't see how we are where we are right now if we'd didn't win that lottery.

Old
03-21-2017, 01:04 AM
Aerrol
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I've seen the Oilers hurt me too many times before. I'm waiting until I see a little x next to the Oilers for a spot clinched before I celebrate.

Aerrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 01:07 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wewillrise View Post

Good God, did this team actually lose 20 in a row?!? I honestly don't remember something that awful happening. Those days were so bad I guess I just blocked that out.