HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster speculation 16-17 part 3

Old
03-20-2017, 07:37 PM
ozpensfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
I wonder if Justin Schultz might end up pricing himself out of Pittsburgh. 25 Years old, would do a great job of holding down 3/4 RD allowing Bogo to slide over to 3/4 LD where he seems more active. If Schultz does get locked down to a long term deal in Pitt that means one of Dumoulin or Pouliot (Both upcoming RFA) shakes free. It might be a less sexy move than Tanev or Fowler but still could pay off. Plus all three are in the correct age range.
If Dan Bylsma is coach, there is no way in hell i would want Shultz here. As it stands right now he is going to get a large raise. He looks a million dollars with Mike Sullivan and Jacques Martin helping him, along with Gonchar assisting on the PP

Pouliot hasnt taken the step he probably should have, hes not getting a huge raise.

Ian Cole should be someone GMTM should be aiming at.

ozpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Thinking back to last year, Schultz was rumored to be the player from Edmonton Buffalo was looking at. I would think the Pens will find a way to keep those points on the blueline however.

03-21-2017, 12:12 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpensfan View Post
If Dan Bylsma is coach, there is no way in hell i would want Shultz here. As it stands right now he is going to get a large raise. He looks a million dollars with Mike Sullivan and Jacques Martin helping him, along with Gonchar assisting on the PP

Pouliot hasnt taken the step he probably should have, hes not getting a huge raise.

If our defensive problems are solved with Cole in GMTM's mind I'll **** myself in laughter

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 07:21 AM
Sabretooth

vCash: 2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
I wonder if Justin Schultz might end up pricing himself out of Pittsburgh. 25 Years old, would do a great job of holding down 3/4 RD allowing Bogo to slide over to 3/4 LD where he seems more active. If Schultz does get locked down to a long term deal in Pitt that means one of Dumoulin or Pouliot (Both upcoming RFA) shakes free. It might be a less sexy move than Tanev or Fowler but still could pay off. Plus all three are in the correct age range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpensfan View Post

Seems like the pens want to keep Shultz. Pouliot is awful and not fixing anyone's blueline anytime soon. Dumoulin is solid but no chance he's shaking free. Cole is likely obtainable but not all that exciting. He'd be ideal to replace Gorges and/or make sure Falk is 7D, assuming we could make some other D acquisitions as well. If any Pittsburgh D might fit the definition of potentially "shaking free" for cap reasons I'd think it could be Maatta, but I'd be weary it's a trap. That is if he's not playing in Vegas next year.

Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Jame
Dream '16

There's a pretty solid chance that Vegas takes Moulson in expansion, right?

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 08:45 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I think they'd sooner take Ennis, Bogosian, Falk, Ullmark, Girgensons, pretty much anyone else we leave exposed.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I think they'd sooner take Ennis, Bogosian, Falk, Ullmark, Girgensons, pretty much anyone else we leave exposed.
Really?

Ennis and Bogo have done nothing to rehab their value this year. All they've accomplished is ensuring that LV won't touch them in expansion.

where as, Moulson has actually rehabed his value by proving that he can still be a PP scorer. He's tied for 7th... in the league... in PP Goals. In a league that supresses ES hockey, that's a valuable asset. And it's not like Moulson has been a tire fire at ES, at least in terms of being a defensive liability. He's at 1.88/1.88 GF/GA. We break even when he's on the ice (if you take the 60 minutes of ice time he's spent with Deslauriers out of the equation, he's actually a net +0.2 at ES)

Sure... LV could pass on Moulson to take Ullmark (although there are going to be plenty of better goalies available), or they could use they could use there cap dollars elsewhere and "throwaway" their Sabres pick on Falk.

Right now... Moulson looks like a good deal for Vegas.

Old
03-21-2017, 09:44 AM
DatGuy

No one has any idea what LA plans to do. Are they going to build threw the draft or are they going to try and be competitive right away?

If they need to get to the cap floor than Moulson might be the answer for them.

DatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Jim Bob
I Believe

Quote:
Really?

Ennis and Bogo have done nothing to rehab their value this year. All they've accomplished is ensuring that LV won't touch them in expansion.

where as, Moulson has actually rehabed his value by proving that he can still be a PP scorer. He's tied for 7th... in the league... in PP Goals. In a league that supresses ES hockey, that's a valuable asset. And it's not like Moulson has been a tire fire at ES, at least in terms of being a defensive liability. He's at 1.88/1.88 GF/GA. We break even when he's on the ice (if you take the 60 minutes of ice time he's spent with Deslauriers out of the equation, he's actually a net +0.2 at ES)

Sure... LV could pass on Moulson to take Ullmark (although there are going to be plenty of better goalies available), or they could use they could use there cap dollars elsewhere and "throwaway" their Sabres pick on Falk.

Moulson seems like the most likely big contract that could be taken off the Sabres hands by LV.

I would say that it comes down to Gorges at 1yr @ $3.9M and Moulson at 2yrs @ $5M.

That second season might be enough to scare LV away from Moulson. Although, I think his game has the ability to not fall off a cliff. He's a poor man's Andreychuk, IMO.

Jim Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:58 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGuy View Post
No one has any idea what LA plans to do. Are they going to build threw the draft or are they going to try and be competitive right away?

If they need to get to the cap floor than Moulson might be the answer for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Moulson seems like the most likely big contract that could be taken off the Sabres hands by LV.

I would say that it comes down to Gorges at 1yr @ $3.9M and Moulson at 2yrs @ $5M.

That second season might be enough to scare LV away from Moulson. Although, I think his game has the ability to not fall off a cliff. He's a poor man's Andreychuk, IMO.
Yes, it's difficult to guess what LV will do given that they have 30 different choices to make, and each one impacts the other.

I think logically, LV will want to build through the draft. But they'll want veterans in place to make the team competitive enough to build a fan base.

In a vacuum of the Buffalo Sabres likely to be exposed players... Moulson makes the most sense IMO. But I recognize that LVs 29 other choices will have an impact on that.

Old
03-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Old Navy Goat

A deciding factor in who Vegas takes will also be real dollars to cap hit. How much are Ennis and Moulson owed o the remaining 2 years of their deals?

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Jim Bob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
A deciding factor in who Vegas takes will also be real dollars to cap hit. How much are Ennis and Moulson owed o the remaining 2 years of their deals?
Ennis: $4.6M cap hit & $3.65M salary in both 17-18 & 18-19.

Moulson: $5M cap hit & $5M salary in 17-18 & $3M salary in 18-19.

Old
03-21-2017, 10:15 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Really?

Given a choice to keep any one of those players, would Moulson be at the top of your list?

Old
03-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Revelate

Quote:
i mean we know GMs are cutthroat, but i can't see the godfather of Moulson's wife uprooting Moulson and his family across the country at the end of his career unless he wanted it (i'm guessing he doesn't).

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Jim Bob
I Believe

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/r...henyuk-sheary/

Quote:
Justin Schultz
Age on July 1: 26
Position: Defence
2016-17 salary cap hit: $1.4 million
Bargaining chips: Stanley Cup champion putting up eye-popping career highs in every category. Makes Oilers fans wonder what could have been.
What the future holds: A pay day. Schultz has never had security in the game, and truth is, his game has never been at a level to demand it. He took a one-year, prove-it deal as an unrestricted free agent with Pittsburgh last summer and has since become one of the NHL's greatest steals. No other RFA D-man has as many goals, assists or is a bigger plus. The Pittsburgh Gazette took an in-depth look at the size of cheque Schultz could be looking at.

Quote:
Robin Lehner
Age on July 1: 25
Position: Goaltender
2016-17 salary cap hit: $2.25 million
Bargaining chips: The best goalie the Sabres have. Two straight seasons with a save percentage of .921 or better for a lottery team.
What the future holds: An interesting negotiation. The emotional Lehner has provided excellent netminding behind a bad Buffalo team and he's wrapping up a three-year contract. Do the sides want to make a long-term commitment here? Our guess is a two- or three-year pact. On a good team — something Buffalo might become in a couple years — Lehner could be a star.

Old
03-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Given a choice to keep any one of those players, would Moulson be at the top of your list?
In the context of being an expansion team... given my argument. Yes.

Are you trying to equate what the Sabres should do in terms of who to keep, with what an expansion team should do?

Old
03-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Onslow

vCash: 422
Quote:
I could see either Moulson, Falk, or Gorges.

Falk because he is cheap depth, and actually a decent #7 defenseman.

Gorges only has a year left and would be a good vet presence.

Moulson's contract isn't that bad in terms of real dollars and he is still useful on the PP.

Both Gorges and Moulson can help LVGK reach the cap floor.... Should they need to. Depends on who they draft from the rest of the league, of course.

Onslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
i mean we know GMs are cutthroat, but i can't see the godfather of Moulson's wife uprooting Moulson and his family across the country at the end of his career unless he wanted it (i'm guessing he doesn't).
what? who?

Holy ****.... George McPhee is a godfather to one of their kids?

Goddammit...

Old
03-21-2017, 10:39 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
In the context of being an expansion team... given my argument. Yes.

Are you trying to equate what the Sabres should do in terms of who to keep, with what an expansion team should do?
Not equate, but I don't think an expansion team is going to look on Moulson any more favorably than Buffalo would. Moulson is a) 90% useless now, b) 10% useful maybe for another season. A team trying to build for the future gets nothing of value out of that. I'd imagine they'd far rather take their chances rehabbing Ennis or Bogo, or picking up futures.

Old
03-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Jim Bob
I Believe

Quote:
what? who?

Goddammit...
http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...george-mcphee/

Old
03-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Jim Bob
I Believe

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/03/21/...h-for-pouliot/

Quote:
When the Pittsburgh Penguins selected Derrick Pouliot with the No. 8 overall pick in 2012 (after acquiring that pick in the Jordan Staal trade) it was expected that he would one day become a focal point of the team’s defense.

Nearly five years later, it is worth wondering if his time with the team is on the verge of coming to an end without ever coming close to reaching that expectation.

The Penguins announced on Tuesday morning that Pouliot, following another disappointing recall with the big club, has been sent back to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League.

In his place, the team recalled defenseman Frank Corrado (acquired at the trade deadline from the Toronto Maple Leafs) and forward Oskar Sundqvist.
Cornel for Pouliot?

Old
03-21-2017, 10:48 AM
Revelate

Quote:
what? who?

Goddammit...
better yet McPhee is his wife's godfather and his kid is named after him. I've given up on them picking Moulson awhile ago.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 10:51 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Not equate, but I don't think an expansion team is going to look on Moulson any more favorably than Buffalo would. Moulson is a) 90% useless now, b) 10% useful maybe for another season. A team trying to build for the future gets nothing of value out of that. I'd imagine they'd far rather take their chances rehabbing Ennis or Bogo, or picking up futures.
That's just not supported by the facts of the 2016-17 season

I disagree... on Ennis/Bogo.
Sure they could prefer futures... if they've acquired goals/cap/experience elsewhere.

Old
03-21-2017, 10:52 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
better yet McPhee is his wife's godfather and his kid is named after him. I've given up on them picking Moulson awhile ago.
Yea, that pretty much ends the possibility of Moulson being taken

Old
03-21-2017, 10:57 AM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

vCash: 903
Quote:
Yea, that pretty much ends the possibility of Moulson being taken
Might also explain Ennis's sudden promotion to the top line

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote