HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Talk Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2008, 11:54 AM
SOLR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Templeton View Post
There's a hype because he play for Quebec ... I mean Rempart's players are offen overrated. They produce good players but some are overrated too. Montreal don't have any chance when they pick a Rempart. I don't feel that it will be another story with Stefanovich. I would go with another guy like Wahl, Boedker, maybe Dalpe, before Stefanovich. There is enough good players in this draft that we can hope that one will fall to us.
All of this because of Mr. Chouinard. You know there was a guy named Simon Gagné on that same team right? It's all about the scouting, nothing else. If stefa is the BPA when we draft then take him. Boedker will got top top 12.(Hes one the guys I really want offensively outside of Stamkos) Wahl I'm not a big fan, Dalpe I need to see more off.

Old
03-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
All of this because of Mr. Chouinard. You know there was a guy named Simon Gagné on that same team right? It's all about the scouting, nothing else. If stefa is the BPA when we draft then take him. Boedker will got top top 12.(Hes one the guys I really want offensively outside of Stamkos) Wahl I'm not a big fan, Dalpe I need to see more off.
But there's one thing we have to keep in mind. In Montreal, and probably in most team, the BPA isn't all about talent. Timmins will interview many players, and if he sees that a player don't have what it takes mentally to become a good player in the NHL, he'll fall on his list, and will become a "take him if he falls" kind of pick.

Stefanovich obviously don't have the attitude to justify taking him in the first round. They way Timmins draft is all about character and leadership (with skills or course). If Stefanovich is a potential cancer for a team, you can be sure that Timmins will not even touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Old
03-08-2008, 12:24 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
But there's one thing we have to keep in mind. In Montreal, and probably in most team, the BPA isn't all about talent. Timmins will interview many players, and if he sees that a player don't have what it takes mentally to become a good player in the NHL, he'll fall on his list, and will become a "take him if he falls" kind of pick.

Stefanovich obviously don't have the attitude to justify taking him in the first round. They way Timmins draft is all about character and leadership (with skills or course). If Stefanovich is a potential cancer for a team, you can be sure that Timmins will not even touch him with a 10 foot pole.
Granted, hes got some attitude but so does SergeiK for example, it's all about bringing players who bring positive winning attitude. Hes living with Patrick Roy atm and he seems to be enjoying it.

In his case I think its important to understand how this attitude about the habs was developed: Andrei Kostitsyn. Many Belarussian young guys have seen the difficult path to reach the habs because of Andrei, but after this season many will probably understand the reasons for this long process. Now, they even have another example(and different) with Sergei. I can bet you Stefa wouldnt be saying all those things today after seeing the habs performing very well with Andrei and Sergei as main component of the team. Grabovski have been tasting the same medecine, but I dont see him in the same talent group.

Old
03-08-2008, 12:31 PM
V-2 Schneider

Quote:
But there's one thing we have to keep in mind. In Montreal, and probably in most team, the BPA isn't all about talent.
That's all part of being the BPA.A total package who is dedicated to improvement,has the drive and desire to be as good as the his hockey talents allow.You cannot separate the intangibles from the tangibles.Just look at Pavel Brendl.

Old
03-08-2008, 01:07 PM
GNick42

Quote:
I disagree with most of what you said about him. High risk? Just dont see it, hes probably one of the safest bet of 2008.(just not the greatest of upsides) Czerkawski never had half of Stefa's weapons, granted he might seem to float a bit, like most 17-18 years old.
I seen him float during the TPG. What I have seen of prospects before if they don't get motivated to give it a good effort then...how are you going to motivate them when they are making a 7 figure salary? I would stay away from Stef...I agree talent is there for first round material...but

Old
03-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post

From what I could gather, first off, he's not. Second off, TDG denoted he had talks with Timmins earlier this season, and that he did scout Stefanovich a few times already.

Old
03-08-2008, 01:40 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I seen him float during the TPG. What I have seen of prospects before if they don't get motivated to give it a good effort then...how are you going to motivate them when they are making a 7 figure salary? I would stay away from Stef...I agree talent is there for first round material...but
So based on 1 game you can say hes a floater? Come on. I have seen all remparts games this year.

Old
03-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
We definitely need to take a centerman. Colin Wilson would be a great pick for us, but I doubt we can get him.

Old
03-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Scotianhab

I'd love to see us pick Colin Wilson but we'd have to trade way up to get him imo.

Old
03-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

He is one of those character, do everything players that the Habs covet.

Old
03-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I tend to think that the Habs are going to draft a goalie in the early rounds, they are getting pretty bone dry in that department. Has anyone seen these guys play? If so, could you share a little report on them?

1 PICKARD, CHET WHL TRI-CITY 11/29/1989 6' 2" 210 G L 30 1746 2.65 0 0.907
2 DELMAS, PETER QMJHL LEWISTON 2/16/1990 6' 1.75" 169 G L 22 1259 2.72 0 0.907
3 MCCOLLUM, THOMAS OHL GUELPH 12/7/1989 6' 1.75" 205 G L 24 1387 2.55 3 0.912
4 POULIN, KEVIN QMJHL VICTORIAVILLE 4/12/1990 6' 2" 210 G L 27 1365 3.78 0 0.892
5 CARROZZI, CHRIS OHL MISSISSAUGA 3/2/1990 6' 2.75" 185 G L 22 1132 2.6 1 0.913
6 DESERRES, JACOB WHL SEATTLE 3/18/1990 6' 1.5" 195 G L 13 768 2.11 1 0.926
7 COUSINEAU, MARCO QMJHL BAIE-COMEAU 11/9/1989 6' 0" 195 G L 30 1700 2.54 4 0.91
8 BESKOROWANY, TYLER OHL OWEN SOUND 4/28/1990 6' 4" 203 G L 13 786 3.51 0 0.911
9 HOLTBY, BRANDEN WHL SASKATOON 9/16/1989 6' 1" 205 G L 31 1650 3.02 0 0.906
10 KILLEEN, PATRICK OHL BRAMPTON 4/15/1990 6' 4" 194 G L 15 910 3.3 1 0.898
One goalie I am sure they would enjoy picking is Chet Pickard. Having scouted Tri-city for awhile they must have seen this guys very solid goaltending.

Old
03-08-2008, 02:26 PM
guest1467

I see more of a weakness at RW and even LW than center. The only RW's we have in our system are D'agostini, Wyman, and Stewart. That is very weak, and needs to be addressed this year, and I'm sure it will be. Center is our strongest postition on forward, so I would think the main focus will be on wingers. We have the likes of: Ben Maxwell, Ryan White, Kyle Chipchura, Mathieu Aubin, Oliver Fortier and Trottier. Of course, players will likely be drafted BPA, but I feel the wings are incredibly more weak than our center postition. Personally, I like Zach Dalpe in the last first round. Haven't got to see him much besides the tier II junior prospects tournment, where he played very well. hopefully his team makes the final and I can watch him somewhere in the Lower mainland. He is committed to Ohio State next year.

Old
03-08-2008, 02:37 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
We definitely need to take a centerman. Colin Wilson would be a great pick for us, but I doubt we can get him.
I dont like Colin, probably because I don't like slow skaters.

Old
03-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Templeton

Quote:
If you read my post correctly, I said that Quebec produce good players ( that INCLUDE Gagné, Vermette, Ribs, Vlasic). What I wanted to say is that if a player like Stefanovich is a 1st rounder, people think that Montreal ought to draft him. It's not all because of Chouinard, but Esposito is a big part of this. This guy have talent, size, speed but havn't the balls to go with. They wont go in the NHL to do figure skating and to smile to the cameras. A lot of people was whining about Mtl who passed over him. Now Stefanovich is in about the same situation.

Old
03-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
I dont like Colin, probably because I don't like slow skaters.
I prefer Colborne over Wilson as well.

Old
03-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Center is our strongest postition on forward, so I would think the main focus will be on wingers. We have the likes of: Ben Maxwell, Ryan White, Kyle Chipchura, Mathieu Aubin, Oliver Fortier and Trottier.
Most definately disagree with that. Especially not for the position of offensive centerman is concerned 'cause I see only 1 candidate: Ben Maxwell. I really believe that Ryan White, if he plays in the NHL, will be as a winger. Then Chipchura should, at best, be a 3rd liner centerman. Aubin, Fortier and Trotter might never make it. Aubin has some ups and downs in the AHL, Fortier doesn't have a great offensive production this year and Trotter is a big question mark. So not enough surefire prospects at the centerman position.

But I do agree that on the wings it wouldn't be bad as well. But we do have D'Agostini, Pacioretty, White (if he's transferred as a winger), Grabovski, Wyman, Stewart (on the 4th) and the young guys we have already, A. Kosty, S. Kosty, Lats and so on.....

We need more help at the centerman position but on the wings as well. Let's just say that the ratio forwards-D's should be in the favor of the forwards for the next 2 drafts I believe.

Old
03-08-2008, 04:51 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Most definately disagree with that. Especially not for the position of offensive centerman is concerned 'cause I see only 1 candidate: Ben Maxwell. I really believe that Ryan White, if he plays in the NHL, will be as a winger. Then Chipchura should, at best, be a 3rd liner centerman. Aubin, Fortier and Trotter might never make it. Aubin has some ups and downs in the AHL, Fortier doesn't have a great offensive production this year and Trotter is a big question mark. So not enough surefire prospects at the centerman position.

But I do agree that on the wings it wouldn't be bad as well. But we do have D'Agostini, Pacioretty, White (if he's transferred as a winger), Grabovski, Wyman, Stewart (on the 4th) and the young guys we have already, A. Kosty, S. Kosty, Lats and so on.....

We need more help at the centerman position but on the wings as well. Let's just say that the ratio forwards-D's should be in the favor of the forwards for the next 2 drafts I believe.
I agree that our center postition is not very strong. I was just pointing out that our whole forward pool needs some rejuvination. We have taken a lot of our forward prospects out of our system lately and it has really taken a toll on our depth. There will definitely be a precedent set for forwards this draft, wingers and centermen alike.

Old
03-08-2008, 05:01 PM
FF de Mars

I'd like to have Del Zotto because it would finish the puzzle of our future defensive corp. We need a good offensive D man, he could turn out to be a great one. He is small but this is the new NHL. We have a good team and I'd like to keep it intact while not trading up. I think it's be wise to draft him.

Old
03-08-2008, 05:17 PM
V-2 Schneider

Quote:
We need more help at the centerman position but on the wings as well. Let's just say that the ratio forwards-D's should be in the favor of the forwards for the next 2 drafts I believe
That would be nice, but...would you pass over a superior D man just to build up the depth pool?

If we're going to be drafting from 22-30 this June, is it more likely we'll have a chance at better D or a better O man?

Old
03-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-2 Schneider View Post
That would be nice, but...would you pass over a superior D man just to build up the depth pool?

If we're going to be drafting from 22-30 this June, is it more likely we'll have a chance at better D or a better O man?
Who knows? It all depends on Timmins list, and nobody will know who's on it...

Old
03-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-2 Schneider View Post

I really wonder what Timmins think about this. I know that he once told me that at equal talent, he will always go for the D since it's so tough to find good D's....still he may have talked that way 'cause we needed to add some D in the prospect pool.

But if you ask me, of course I wouldn't pass on a much superior D. Chances are we will trade some of our D prospects if they all pan out the way we hope and think they will. There's obviously just no room for 10 quality D-men. So drafting a D might be a possibility if they have in mind to trade 2 or 3 of our good prospect for good forward prospects. We never know what they think. We didn't need a goalie with Theo in net....and then we desperately did....

But it's also very tough to judge how much a D is superior to a forward. Sometimes needs make a certain player the BPA at that time.

Great article on Jack Downing. A big 6'3' 200lbs that has a great shot, is physical, skates well for a big man, a fierce competitor but needs work on his quickness and defensive play. That wouldn't be a waste pick around the 3rd or 4th round?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._jack_downing/

And If we go the D route once again, while most people will complain about it, that's about the kind of darkhorse I see Timmins going for in the 1st round.

Just by the description, I can't see why this kid wouldn't go higher...

John Carlson 6'2'' 215lbs, right D.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/john_carlson

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-08-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old
03-09-2008, 01:02 PM
KnucklesTheTard*

The Mikkel Boedker Thread/ Trade

I'd definitely like to see him play for Montreal. Do you think Montreal would ever try and get this guy? They have a lot of prospects and have the resources to get him.

Would youl iek to see Mikkel play with the Canadiens? It would be a fanatsy of mine having a Danish super star on our team. Hell I want to start a petition

Old
03-09-2008, 01:04 PM
kostitsyn1489

I see the Montreal canadien drafting a guy like Jamie Arnile instead for their spot. But yea i wouldnt mind AT ALL if they would trade up for Boedker the guy is amazing. Still it would cost alot so we'll see!

Old
03-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I really wonder what Timmins think about this. I know that he once told me that at equal talent, he will always go for the D since it's so tough to find good D's....still he may have talked that way 'cause we needed to add some D in the prospect pool.

But if you ask me, of course I wouldn't pass on a much superior D. Chances are we will trade some of our D prospects if they all pan out the way we hope and think they will. There's obviously just no room for 10 quality D-men. So drafting a D might be a possibility if they have in mind to trade 2 or 3 of our good prospect for good forward prospects. We never know what they think. We didn't need a goalie with Theo in net....and then we desperately did....

But it's also very tough to judge how much a D is superior to a forward. Sometimes needs make a certain player the BPA at that time.

Great article on Jack Downing. A big 6'3' 200lbs that has a great shot, is physical, skates well for a big man, a fierce competitor but needs work on his quickness and defensive play. That wouldn't be a waste pick around the 3rd or 4th round?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._jack_downing/

And If we go the D route once again, while most people will complain about it, that's about the kind of darkhorse I see Timmins going for in the 1st round.

Just by the description, I can't see why this kid wouldn't go higher...

John Carlson 6'2'' 215lbs, right D.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/john_carlson
The darkhorse makes for an interesting draft scenario. It's hard to know just how much of a darkhorse the player is. The temptation is always to trade down, get an extra pick and still get the player you wanted all along, like with Fischer and Carle.

But sometimes you can't. Apparently LA was convinced last year that a couple of teams in the 6-10 spots were really high on Hickey. The offers they got to trade down put them past those teams. So they just went with the guy they really wanted, as off the board as it seemed. (I can only assume that Edmonton felt the same way about Plante, and Phoenix with Wheeler.)

It's interesting because you have to have an awareness that lets you compare your list with the "consensus" list. It seems that Timmins' list is generally different from the consensus. He had McDonagh and Pacioretty much higher than they where they taken. Maxwell and White too. Even AKostitsyn and Price.

So unless someone high on the TT list slips down, like McDonagh last year, then maybe we'll see a trade down to take a darkhorse like the guys you listed. Or maybe someone we've never heard of, like Valentenko, who was supposedly being pushed by the Russian scout as a 2nd round pick -- an example of the difference between the value of a prospect according to your team's list, and his draft cost according to the "consensus" list.

Old
03-09-2008, 02:22 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
One goalie I am sure they would enjoy picking is Chet Pickard. Having scouted Tri-city for awhile they must have seen this guys very solid goaltending.
He just got a shutout last night against Kelowna, albeit it was only 19 shots.

Eberle added two goals to make that 42 goals on the year, he is 4 off the league leader Colton Yellowhorn.

Closed Thread