HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey didn't address the real problem

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Moumni_Bachir

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
The real problem resumate in one phrase. Ferme ta gueule pis joue!

Old
04-28-2004, 02:24 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moumni_Bachir
The real problem resumate in one phrase. Ferme ta gueule pis joue!

Old
04-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Anyway, even with Pronger, we are not a Cup Contender yet. A Cup Contender doesn't have Juneau, Sundstrom, Dagenais and Ribeiro in his line-up.
Didn't the Rangers won the cup with Sundstrom?

Old
04-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
Wrong Sundstrom!

Old
04-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
Yes, they did.

And it's definitely premature to say Ribeiro's a type of player that can't be on a Cup winning team.

Quote:
I think a real Cup Contender team needs to have a big 3 or big 4 D. We don't.

I am questioning myself if in a 3-5 years future we will have that big D corps.
I don't think the D is a huge question mark for the future. I'm optomistic about Komisarek's future. And I think Markov's still developing and can be a legitimate top pairing defenseman relatively soon for a Cup contending team. If Souray regains some of his early-season form then he's a legitimate top 4 defenseman.

Old
04-28-2004, 02:54 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

We also won the cup with Serge Boisvert on the team..... Did Dahlin won a cup with us in 1989?

Old
04-28-2004, 03:00 PM
the jpageman

Quote:
Gainey did pretty well before the trade deadline. There was 3 problems to be fixed.
1. A good winger
2. A good 3rd center
3. A good D

Lack of money, lack of exchange stuff or lack of knowing his own team weakness, who knows?
Gainey did fixed 2/3 of the Habs problems. Even with fixing 3/3 of the problems, Habs would have been an inferior team compared to the Bolts.

Now for the future we have some question marks for our D.
How will be Brisebois, Rivet, Souray and Bouillon? They are our regular D and they are not very reliable.
Quintal will be gone, Komi will stay (and improve) and Markov is the most reliable.

How is our D prospects? Hainsey, Koorneev, Archer, Beauchemin, O'Byrn.
When they will be ready and how good they will be?
I have some doubts. I don't see potential #1 to #4 there ready soon.
Maybe signing a good proven D this summer or acquire one with a trade would fix a problem.
How about alexei Zhitnik? he's a free agent at the end of the season. He now makes about 3.5 mil . I think he would be a great fit cause of his status: he hits and creates offensive chances.

He would be a great replacement over Bouillon. No offense but the kid has a certain talent limit. But anyways heres how i see our D with Alexei

Zhitnik-Brisebois
Markov-Rivet
Souray-Komisarek

We could also sign Steeve konowalchuk...

Old
04-28-2004, 03:42 PM
mcphee

I agree, Zhitnik makes sense. He's a pretty combative mean spirited type. I don't know much about his character but he's always seemed like a pain in the ass to play against. I like the right side for another year if they could get a solid guy on the left. I assume Zhitnik is an LD ?

Old
04-28-2004, 03:58 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I agree, Zhitnik makes sense. He's a pretty combative mean spirited type. I don't know much about his character but he's always seemed like a pain in the ass to play against. I like the right side for another year if they could get a solid guy on the left. I assume Zhitnik is an LD ?
I don't want on my team a Dman that makes a living out of trying to take other players' knees out. That SOB is quite a disgrace in my book.

Old
04-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
You Habs fan can't have it both ways...

Great Habs team beating the B's and overrated B's?

So its....

1) Habs are heroes cause they've beaten great B's team or
2) Habs haven't done anything because they've only beaten average/overrated B's team .

( I am not trying to find excuses but sometimes key injuries are too much to overcome. Specially when it's #1 and #2 centers. I wonder how would great Habs team look with similar injury to Koivu and concussion to the second line center? (And concussion to a playier similar to Samsonov). )
, wow your becoming my non-Habs favorite poster. I like your posts, theres always truth, objectivity and humour! Keep em coming!

Anyways, Gainey did a remarquable job. Kovalev, Dowd, Begin and Langdon have cost us a 4th, a 2nd and Balej and if we dont resign Kovalev, we get a 2nd back so personnaly, he hasnt disapointed me yet. Our defense was fine all year long, there was no predicting they would as much trouble but I have my suspisions that they are heavily banged up. The Bruins series was very physical on the D corps and that might explain why Komisarek looks so good compared to the others.

Old
04-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
, wow your becoming my non-Habs favorite poster. I like your posts, theres always truth, objectivity and humour! Keep em coming!

Anyways, Gainey did a remarquable job. Kovalev, Dowd, Begin and Langdon have cost us a 4th, a 2nd and Balej and if we dont resign Kovalev, we get a 2nd back so personnaly, he hasnt disapointed me yet. Our defense was fine all year long, there was no predicting they would as much trouble but I have my suspisions that they are heavily banged up. The Bruins series was very physical on the D corps and that might explain why Komisarek looks so good compared to the others.
Yeah, he or she is quickly beating JOHNNY V as the best troll on this board (Troll being a poster from another team )

Old
04-28-2004, 04:23 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I don't want on my team a Dman that makes a living out of trying to take other players' knees out. That SOB is quite a disgrace in my book.
Ohhhh sign him now please!!!

Old
04-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
He might be able to play both sides, but he regularly plays RD.

Old
04-28-2004, 06:02 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
He might be able to play both sides, but he regularly plays RD.
He shoots left so maybe. Mike, you were saying on another thread that you weren't as optimistic as some about the Habs immediate future. Why ? My guess is that the Habs lack the type of player that you like to compliment some of the flashier prospects. If I read you right, you see a lack of big fast pain in the butt types to create a forecheck. I kind of agree, if that's your reason, but its' an area that can be addressed thru trade and ufa's. Just curious as to your reasoning.

Old
04-28-2004, 08:13 PM
toughstuff

Bob Gainey has not disappointed me at all.

We all knew this guy was patient and very rational.

His acquisition of Kovy has proven to be JUST FANTASTIC.

His next challenges will be to:

1. Sign Kovy, Sign Kovy, Sign Kovy, Sign Kovy;
2. Get the team bigger by trading from our strength (medium size scoring forward prospects)
3. Sign a key UFA other than Kovy
4. Did I say Sign Kovy.

Old
04-28-2004, 10:15 PM
Lewis63

I think that Gainey will wait until everything is clear about what will happen next year. Before that gets settled, I ond't think we'll see any GM making key moves this summer...

Old
04-28-2004, 10:53 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Yes, they did.

And it's definitely premature to say Ribeiro's a type of player that can't be on a Cup winning team.

I don't think the D is a huge question mark for the future. I'm optomistic about Komisarek's future. And I think Markov's still developing and can be a legitimate top pairing defenseman relatively soon for a Cup contending team. If Souray regains some of his early-season form then he's a legitimate top 4 defenseman.
I assume the Rangers won the Cup in 94 using Sundstrom with limited time. Not in key moments like yesterday. Also Sunny was younger and was skating faster like a fresh dear. lol

Okay so for the future we might have Komi, Markov and Souray. That's a big 3 with an mistake-maker in Mr. Souray. Where is the 4th? Brisebois? Rivet? Hainsey?
I'm questioning myself on reliability.

Great Habs D corps of the 70's was: Savard-Robinson-Lapointe-Nyrop.
Great Habs D corps of '86 was: Chelios-Green-Ludwig-Lalor.

See what I mean? There was everything needed in these great D pairing. A Cup Contender must have extra-reliable D corps. That makes the goalie look good. Thst helps the forwards to relaunch the offence sooner and better.

Komi is a secure D if he keep in improving. Markov is okay as the offensive D if he improve some of his purely defensive weakness. Souray must work on a few thing, strategy-wise is one of his weak area. Then we have nothing really reliable as a 4rth defenseman (in a 3-5 years future).
Who in our prospect have the potential to become a Nyrop or Lalor? (a good safe stay at home D)
... and please don't under-estimate Nyrop or Lalor in their prime.

Old
04-29-2004, 06:48 AM
mcphee

Habitude, I'll agree that Nyrop was a solid player who left the game way too early.
Lalor, I think you are overrating. I think, he was a decent bottom pairing guy. I honestly don't see him being considered safer than Rivet. I'm sure if we went over old film we'd find his share of glaring errors. Tuesday night aside, I think most teams would welcome Rivet as a reliable, #4 or 5, depending on the strength of the team. I think the criticism of Souray is a bit strong, we didn't hear of him being mistake prone early this year. We were are talking Olympic hopeful or Norris candidate. He hasn't rebounded from his injury, or injuries though I have no way of knowing how that is affecting him. I don't think he's as good as what we saw before the all star break, but I think he's a helluva lot better than what we are seeing now. Hate to correct a guy who saw these guys play Habitude, but the solid 4th D man you talk of on the 86 team was some guy from Marvelville,Ont. Wore #19,I think. I believe you mentionned him as being on the 70's team. Decent player, Robinson, I think. Good ball player too.

Old
04-29-2004, 07:48 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
I assume the Rangers won the Cup in 94 using Sundstrom with limited time. Not in key moments like yesterday. Also Sunny was younger and was skating faster like a fresh dear. lol

Okay so for the future we might have Komi, Markov and Souray. That's a big 3 with an mistake-maker in Mr. Souray. Where is the 4th? Brisebois? Rivet? Hainsey?
I'm questioning myself on reliability.

Great Habs D corps of the 70's was: Savard-Robinson-Lapointe-Nyrop.
Great Habs D corps of '86 was: Chelios-Green-Ludwig-Lalor.

See what I mean? There was everything needed in these great D pairing. A Cup Contender must have extra-reliable D corps. That makes the goalie look good. Thst helps the forwards to relaunch the offence sooner and better.
What about Chara, Phillips, Redden and DeVries? Hum, let me see, are they still in the playoffs? Lalime did look good with them in front of him

Old
04-29-2004, 10:30 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
Yeah, he or she is quickly beating JOHNNY V as the best troll on this board (Troll being a poster from another team )

Come on... Bruins girl...he???

How could you?

Closed Thread