HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Sharks Off-Day Practice Report (in Nashville)

Old
03-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Sharks Off-Day Practice Report (in Nashville)

Call it pregame scouting...I showed up to watch the Predators open practice today only to arrive to an empty parking lot in the back, but thankfully I still went in and was told that the Sharks were to practice starting at 1 PM...so I stayed and watched...

The Sharks arrived at Centennial full dressed in their gear minus the skates. Guys carried their own gear and stepped into a locker room and finished dressing before they hopped on the ice.

G Evgeni Nabakov, D Christian Ehrhoff, and F Mike Grier were noticeably absent from practice today.

Lines ran as follows:
Michalek - Thornton - Cheechoo
Clowe - Roenick - Brown
OPEN - Marleau - Setoguchi
OPEN - Mitchell - Rissmiller
Shelley - Plihal - Goc

Semenov - Carle
McLaren - Rivet
Ozolinsh - Vlasic
Murray - Campbell

Boucher

The first person on the ice was Sharks head coach Ron Wilson, quickly followed by assistant Tim Hunter. Wilson grabbed the bucket of pucks and dumped them out into a pile just inside the blueline and began alternating with Hunter sending them down the rink trying to hit the net. As the Sharks players filed out of the locker room they skated around to loosen up and began shooting and passing the pucks around by themselves before practice officially began. With a quick whistle and instruction by Hunter practice started with a 3 man weave while asst coach Rob Zettler warmed up Boucher at one end of the rink. As soon as Boucher was ready, the Sharks went into a simple shooting warmup drill starting at the far end and skating across the rink to receive a pass from the second line (in the other corner) then carrying the puck down the wing and snapping off a shot from the tops of the faceoff circles. They then progressed to a 1 on 1 drill that started with a shot from the point with a tip before taking off down ice, then they moved to 2 v 1, then 3 v 1 before stopping for a stretch. This entire portion of practice was run by Hunter with Wilson shooting pucks in the corner while observing and the other coaches simply skating around. In total there were four coaches on the rink at all times (same as the Preds), besides Wilson, Hunter, and Zettler there was what appeared to be a goaltending coach, however after the death of Warren Strenlow last season I am unaware of who it would be (a search of their website reveals no goalie coach listed).

After the stretch the team went through a 5 v 2 breakout/regroup flow drill that they had to modify for only having one goalie. The drill starts with a pair of defensemen at each blueline and a line of forwards standing across the red line in the neutral zone. The forwards dump the puck into one of the end zones and breakout from that side before usually gaining the neutral zone and throwing the puck to the second pair of defensemen and regrouping to attack back at the same end of the ice that they just dumped into. The next forward line would dump into the other end and they alternate sides. However, due to only having one goalie, the Sharks regrouped in the neutral zone with the same defense set that they just completed the breakout with before finishing the drill with an attack against the second pair of defensemen. This change in the drill made for some interesting regroups early in the drill (which was good to see as it just goes to show you that even pros can struggle with a change in a drill - coaches have some patience with your players!) and as the drill progressed the regroups became interesting once again as it became obvious that the players had become a little unfocused as it was towards the end of practice. The only player that noticably screwed up the drill more than once was Cheechoo who not only had a couple poor regroups, but he was also the only player to lose track of how the drill was working and throw the puck to the wrong set of defensemen on the regroup - which got a raise from his teammates. This is a drill that is very common at Predators practices as well and really works on going through the different types of options for the defense to move the puck up (quick up, wheel, d to d, reverse, etc) and also serves as an opportunity for the forwards to run through the breakout and regroup options with their linemates to reinforce positioning and encourage good passes/flow on the movements.

At this point of the practice all of the team and line work was done for the day and after a quick stretch (where Roenick went around patting everyone on their butt with his stick while giving each a word of encouragement - however it almost looked like he was playing "duck, duck, goose") the team broke into two groups - forwards and defense. The forwards were with Coach Hunter (who is a former long-time NHL forward and whom runs the forwards - our version of Horachek) and the defensemen were with Coach Zettler (another long-time NHL defenseman who runs the defense and who really does some interesting work with video as a teaching tool live on the bench in games - if you get the chance to sit close to the bench during the game, look for him to have a little screen where he will show players actual video of their last shift as a tool to teach in game - Zettler is our version of Peterson). The forwards worked on another drill shooting off the wing where they started at the middle of the blueline facing Boucher in net, took off in a big loop around the back of the forward line, and took a pass from the next player in line right as they crossed the blueline before going down the wing and shooting around one of Boucher's sticks that they had propped up with a traffic cone. Zettler had the defense working on getting their feet moving when they had the puck at the blueline prior to shooting. They worked a couple of drills for this, however the focus was clear in that they want their defensemen to keep there feet moving when they get the puck in order to open up shooting lanes to get the puck through to the net. The units continued to work through this before they began skating off individually.

While the forwards continued their drill for what seemed like forever, the defense broke up with Craig Rivet teaching newly acquired teammate Brian Campbell tips on how to fight. Rivet was trying to teach him to get ahold of the shoulder pads with his left hand to get a grip on the player (common technique) and then he wanted Campbell to throw quick jabs using the left hand at the players upper chest and as high as the throat before picking his spot to throw the right hand. He also showed him how to defend himself with several moves, but kept going back to those quick jabs and encouraging him to keep his opponent off guard with those quick thrusts before throwing his right hand. As soon as Rivet picked up his equipment, one of his gloves was thrown over the netting into the stands by Zettler during this "fight" - it was returned - the gloves came off again as Alexei Semenov and then Jody Shelley began exchanging tips with Rivet. Semenov actually punched Shelley in the face at one point by accident and heard an earful for it. You could tell Semenov was afraid of the reaction of Shelley as he immediately threw up his hands and began apologizing depsite having about a 4" advantage.

Zettler set up a square with his two gloves and two water bottles in the neutral zone that he had Matt Carle working around with different skating drills before Semenov joined in and alternated with Carle. As this was going on, the forwards were still running that same drill at one end with Boucher and two forwards (I didn't catch the numbers on their helmets - maybe Rissmiller and Goc) put on the 3-point harnesses for a Speedster lightning cord system (essentially two three-point harnesses with attachments to be connected either to the front or back - one player is hooked by the lightning cord (bungee cord) to the front of his harness and the second is hooked in to the back of his harness). This is a power skating drill that works both on resistance and overspeed training. The player hooked in back is the lead skater and takes off down the ice while his partner stays still on the goal line. As the cord is stretched, the lead player is working on stride strength through the resistence of the cord. As soon as the player in front begins to reach his limit, the player hooked by the front (trail player) releases and starts flying down the ice as the cord pulls them much faster than a normal stride speed. The trail player is working on quickening his stride through overspeed training provided by the rebound of the cord. For more info on this, look up "Lightning Speed" under the "Hockey" section of the Speeder Training System site here (http://www.speedster.com) - sorry couldn't link to the exact article. They did this drill several times before practice totally broke down and the players left the ice on their own accord.

This team is incredibly hot right now and has a lot of confidence. There was a noticeable difference in the mood at practice and culture surrounding the team. The Sharks truly represent the Californian Surfer Dude atmosphere right now with their constant joking and good natured ribbing of each other. The team was very vocal throughout and almost every player had a smile on their face. You could tell that this was really an off-day practice late in the season where they were simply getting in a skate rather than working on really refining anything, however it was clear that the attitude is that they are going to have fun while doing their work and honestly it didn't seem to affect them today. They got their work in, some hung around and chatted as they waited for their teammates to board the bus and then they left. Never was their a voice raised in anger, nor was there even any correction by the coaches on anything that I could notice. Certain players clearly used the opportunity to work on some things, but the majority of the team was just out there for a skate and that's how it went down.

With the level of confidence the Sharks have right now, there is no doubt in my mind that we MUST SCORE THE FIRST GOAL TOMORROW and play a full 60 minutes, never taking a shift off or giving them any unnecessary opportunities to gain any momentum. Regardless of the score, the Sharks will have a ton of confidence that they will find a way to pull it out and they will come hard every shift. They know that Nabakov is a Vezina candidate in nets and also have confidence in Boucher after he made his debut with a shutout of the Blues last week. They know that they have to score a couple of goals to win and play solid defense throughout to win and they have complete confidence in their netminders that if they make a mistake in front of them, the goalies are going to erase it more often than not. This confidence also allows the team to tap the goalie on the pads and go out there and pickup the goalie should he allow a bad goal. Just clearly a difference in cultures shown today...one that being near the top of the standings and on a nine game winning streak is bound to bring on.

***NOTE TO MODS: Please merge this into the GDT tomorrow***

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 10:29 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

WRT the Sharks goaltending coach's duties, it's being shared by NHL Sharks Asst. GM (AKA AHL Sharks GM) Wayne Thomas, former goalie; and Cap Raeder (former goalie and Sharks' scout for the New England area, who usually works with the guys in Worcester, Massachusetts)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
I noticed Pavelski wasn't listed anywhere in the lineup or in the absentees. Was he on the ice at all, or did you just forget about him when listing the guys sitting out?

And that bit with Semenov and Shelley is pretty funny.

Great detailed summary of the practice. I'm sure I can speak for all the Shark fans reading this when I say thanks for the great read and the time you spent putting this together.

Pure Rock Fury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 12:13 AM
CaptainShark

According to David Pollaks Blog, Pavs, Grier and Nabby were given the day off (first two because of bumps and bruises, Nabby just got a day of well earned rest)... No mentioning of Ehrhoff...

CaptainShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Kitten Mittons

i guess Boucher is going to start; to be honest I wasn't a fan of Nabby's performance over the past couple of games! but I feel safe having Boucher as a starting goalie
Pavelski played very well and scored almost in every game, so i guess he deserved the break
and is Semenov going to be playing??? i guess one of the goals in our net will be scored by Semen!

btw, sorry for taking over this thread predators fans

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
WRT the Sharks goaltending coach's duties, it's being shared by NHL Sharks Asst. GM (AKA AHL Sharks GM) Wayne Thomas, former goalie; and Cap Raeder (former goalie and Sharks' scout for the New England area, who usually works with the guys in Worcester, Massachusetts)
Thanks. Yeah, I saw Raeder listed as a scout and figured he would probably have some input there as he was a coach in Hartford while I lived there. I had forgotten about Thomas though and really don't know who the fourth person on the ice was. I guess it'll remain a mystery unless someone can figure it out. It was an older coach for sure, taller, but older. Looked to be in pretty good shape and the reason I thought that it would have been a goalie coach was that the only player he truly worked with was Boucher.

Old
03-11-2008, 01:24 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Rock Fury View Post
I noticed Pavelski wasn't listed anywhere in the lineup or in the absentees. Was he on the ice at all, or did you just forget about him when listing the guys sitting out?

And that bit with Semenov and Shelley is pretty funny.
Yeah, honestly I wasn't truly prepared to watch a Sharks practice and therefore I didn't have a roster handy to check off all the players. I actually try to watch some of our upcoming opponent's games to get a read on a team and then usually read over the roster and any news and notes I can find during the gameday prior to heading to the arena (yes, I'm a hardcore fan). Despite not being prepared I was able to recognize all but four of the Sharks players (Mitchell, Plihal, Campbell, Murray) and upon reviewing my notes and double-checking my mind I honestly don't believe that I saw Little Joe there. The forwards were dressed in different color practice jerseys to designate lines and I clearly remember that neither the Marleau (white) or Mitchell (green) lines had a third person on them and that was reinforced by the defensemen (Carle and Semenov) rotating through those lines playing on the wing during the breakout/regroup drill. So...we can add Pavelski to the missing list as well.

Quote:
Great detailed summary of the practice. I'm sure I can speak for all the Shark fans reading this when I say thanks for the great read and the time you spent putting this together.
No problem. It was actually nice to get to see another NHL team practice today as the Predators had cancelled their skate and I truly appreciate watching teams practice as I believe you can learn a lot more about them that is not evident in game situations. The only two disappointing things for me were that I didn't get to see how Nabakov works in practice (love watching goalies prepare) and that I didn't truly learn any new drills today as I love "stealing" drills from practices to use in my practice plans. It is a great way to expand your knowledge and more often than not you get to see the drill run properly before you actually try to execute it, giving you a really clear picture of what it should look like.

Old
03-11-2008, 01:39 AM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Wow, great analysis... I'd say more, but I'm sick as a dog... ugh...

TrappedInFullerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 02:55 AM
what

Thank you for the thorough write-up SLake!

09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 03:17 AM
dmcccdmn

This is the best practice summary I've ever seen written. It's interesting to see that they're actually exchanging tips and practicing fights. I'm surprised Murray didn't take part in the fight discussion.

dmcccdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 03:31 AM
SC2008

Wow, that was an amazing write-up Slake. Thanks.

LOL@Semenov. Figures he'll always find a way to hurt our team in one way or another.

Interesting bit about Cheech. I never thought of him as the brightest kid in the class, but but always the one who worked hard at something even if he didn't get it the first, second, or even third time. That kid probably works twice hard for the same amount of gain as a normal person.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 03:34 AM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

vCash: 1004
I came over from the Sharks board too, and all I can say is wow... Thanks for the report. It's the most in-depth description of a hockey practice that I've ever read.

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 07:36 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Another Sharks fan to say thanks for the great details! Best I've seen.

03-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Jarnberg

I could actually feel the cold coming off the ice while reading that; excellent read Slake!

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 10:18 AM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I guess it'll remain a mystery unless someone can figure it out. It was an older coach for sure, taller, but older. Looked to be in pretty good shape and the reason I thought that it would have been a goalie coach was that the only player he truly worked with was Boucher.
That definitely sounds like Wayne Thomas (not only in physical description but also in coaching duties he normally handles in practices).

Pic of Wayne listed here:
http://sharks.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ayneThomas2007

Thanks for the detailed write-up!

mage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 11:33 AM
will_go19

Great stuff SLake.

I liked the details about fighting tips; its nice to see the one guy on our team that actually wins his fights giving the tips.

will_go19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 11:36 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Very interesting indeed, I wish I had known that was going on over there. Great info.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 11:37 AM
SJPuckPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhye View Post
i guess Boucher is going to start
Theres no indication that Boucher is going to start.

SJPuckPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Slipstar

Interesting read. Thanks much for the practice summary, SLake

Slipstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23 View Post
That definitely sounds like Wayne Thomas (not only in physical description but also in coaching duties he normally handles in practices).

Pic of Wayne listed here:
http://sharks.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ayneThomas2007

Thanks for the detailed write-up!
That was him! So it was Wayne Thomas that was the fourth coach on the ice. Thanks!

Old
03-11-2008, 11:34 PM
ChicoStateShark

What a fun read. Thanks for that!

ChicoStateShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
As this was going on, the forwards were still running that same drill at one end with Boucher and two forwards (I didn't catch the numbers on their helmets - maybe Rissmiller and Goc) put on the 3-point harnesses for a Speedster lightning cord system (essentially two three-point harnesses with attachments to be connected either to the front or back - one player is hooked by the lightning cord (bungee cord) to the front of his harness and the second is hooked in to the back of his harness). This is a power skating drill that works both on resistance and overspeed training. The player hooked in back is the lead skater and takes off down the ice while his partner stays still on the goal line. As the cord is stretched, the lead player is working on stride strength through the resistence of the cord. As soon as the player in front begins to reach his limit, the player hooked by the front (trail player) releases and starts flying down the ice as the cord pulls them much faster than a normal stride speed. The trail player is working on quickening his stride through overspeed training provided by the rebound of the cord. For more info on this, look up "Lightning Speed" under the "Hockey" section of the Speeder Training System site here (http://www.speedster.com) - sorry couldn't link to the exact article. They did this drill several times before practice totally broke down and the players left the ice on their own accord.
After looking at the list of players on injured reserve for San Jose tonight...I'm positive it was Curtis Brown and Ryan Clowe performing this drill as part of their rehab. It was admittedly a little difficult to catch the small numbers on the backs of their helmets as they whizzed by me, but I clearly remember now that it was numbers 37 and 29 performing the drill.