HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Flyers @ Leafs Game 3 19:00 PM EST

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Rex88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
Agreed hits from behind should be dealt with seriously but ya have to get positioned better especially since when a guy is coming and your head is down looking at the puck.Anyways what did you guys think of Mccabe tonight and those butt checks?
I will take 10 McCabes and Domis
You can keep all the Tuckers/Marchements

Old
04-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
I will take 10 McCabes and Domis
Agreed. Doesn't McCabe kind of remind everyone else of Dan McGillis when he was on top of his game? Devastating hitter, good defensively, and a great point shot.

Old
04-28-2004, 11:40 PM
ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
Agreed. Doesn't McCabe kind of remind everyone else of Dan McGillis when he was on top of his game? Devastating hitter, good defensively, and a great point shot.
Mccabe plays hard he broke Brendl's collarbone with on one of those hip checks legally.I thought Philly fans might get a kick out of that since Brendl was considered a floater by many philly fans on the board

Old
04-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Stonehands77

Suffice to say, I don't even want to talk about this game right now. A complete and utter disgrace for the Flyers, and if they don't come out with a better effort next game, they'll let Toronto walk right back into control of this series. Note to the Flyers: the refs are not going to call Toronto for the cheap shots, late hits, boardings, and low-bridge attempts (why Marchment wasn't beaten within an inch of his life after that by Brashear is beyond me) apparently. Taking stupid retaliation penalties (Marcus Ragnarsson, I'm looking at you!) is not the way to handle this...hitting, clean and hard, is the way to do it. They let themselves get rattled, outhit, and outplayed. Certainly didn't seem ready for this game and its intensity, and it showed. Hopefully, they make a better stand next time.

As for the referees, I hope someone comes down on them hard. They missed a ton of stuff both ways, and some of their calls were brutal. Handzus got two minutes for falling down after Kaberle was hanging all over him?!?! WTF?!?! GET A FREAKING CLUE, MORONS. :mad:

Yes, I'm angry and bitter about this. The Flyers had best work on this before next game, or Toronto will have all the momentum and that is not what I want to see here.

Old
04-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
Hmm anyone see that alfreddson hit on tucker a few years back that cost us game 6 it was much worse than that and no call.Plus didn't the Flyers fans call moginly a wimp who wouldn't hit,guess he proved you guys wrong
I ws the one who said he is a wimp and can't hit...A cowardly hit from behind while Markov is not even standing straight up is not a hit. I am not going to piss and moan about because Refs make mistakes and that's life, but don't tell me he knows how to hit.

Old
04-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
only when the guy isn't looking and in a vulnerable position, if the tables were turned, the entire province would be crying bloody murder
Exactly...god forbid MArkov or Brashear did that against a leaf.

Old
04-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzzd
That was one of the best games i've seen in the playoffs this year (except every van vs cal), oh man i really wanted to see Belak vs Brash, Belak's a different fighter then last time they went, and i promise you brash is'nt going to be slamming wades head into the ice after the fight this time. and mush's attemted hip check in open ice would have been clean his knee's wernt even bent so screw you guys who think other wise, what about the two hander to the back of Almo's knee,
I don't think marchys hits were dirty...Don't get me wrong he is known as a dirty player but did not play that way last night.

Old
04-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
the two hander= payback
and the guy took regular shifts later when he went down like he was shot, and he was slashed on the upper calf
Ya I love when guys lie down on the ice and don't move, then the whistle blows they pop right up.

Old
04-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Coburnfan05

Plain and simple we sucked last night big time. The leafs outplayed us in every facet of the game and deserved to win. I am not going to complain about non calls because it evens itself out throughout a long series. Our forechheck was horrible last night and the guys didn't play with any heart. And if Hitchcock dress fedoruk again I will personally go down to philly and kick is ***. The boys better get over the hangover of winning the first 2 games and realize how important game 4 is.

Old
04-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Mediator88

Send a message via ICQ to Mediator88 Send a message via AIM to Mediator88 Send a message via MSN to Mediator88 Send a message via Yahoo to Mediator88
The toughest game to win in a 7 game series for the team with home court/ice advantage is almost always the 3rd game.

The Leafs came out and did exactly what everyone should have expected them to do - play a physical (bordering on dirty, but not overly so) game and play as if their playoff lives depended on it.

The Flyers have been significantly outplayed now in 3 of the 9 periods of hockey in this series. (Period 2 of Game 2 and Periods 2 and 3 of Game 3). That being said, they have outplayed the Leafs in 4 of the periods in the series. This is exactly what we should've thought it would be - an evenly matched series that will go 6 or 7 games.

Here's what the Flyers need to do, in my mind, to get their level of play back up:

1) The Flyers need to play their game. The Flyers were baited last night into playing the same style of game that the Leafs were playing. They responded to the physical play by either trying to hit back or by working hard to stickhandle around players who were coming after them. They must get back to the basics.

2) In order to do this, the Flyers must be more composed under pressure. There were over 10 times last night where 3 Leafs players would be chasing after the same Flyers player. If that player had been more composed and made smarter plays (whether it be finding the right open man or chipping it along the boards when needed) there would have been more chances created in the offensive zone and there would have been a lot less turnovers.

3) They need to stay focused. This is really the most important thing. If they lose their cool long-term, this series is over. Fedoruk needs to sit - he made 3 plays that led directly to either penalties against or goals against. The Leafs will not get the same bounces they got last night in every game of the series. These things tend to even out over the course of a series.

The Stanley Cup playoffs are a war of attrition and determination. The team that is most determined to force the other teams to play their style of game is usually the team that wins. If the Flyers can dictate the style and pace of play (like they did in games 1 and 2 - despite getting outplayed in that style for stretches of game 2), they will win the series - even if they lose game 4 (as most 6 game series won by the team with home ice have splits in the first four and then games 5 and 6 won by the home team). If they continue to do what they did in the second and third period of last night's game - playing to the Leafs' style - they will lose.

Brian

Old
04-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
And if Hitchcock dress fedoruk again I will personally go down to philly and kick is ***.
Agreed on this. As the next poster pointed out, Fedoruk made awful plays that directly led to scoring chances/goals on too many occasions. If he plays again, I will begin doing this -> , and really, I don't want to deal with giving myself a concussion. So sit Fedoruk for the next game!

Mediator88, good post. And much more calm and composed than I could be. Hopefully, we see Hitch get the team settled down, and them back to playing their style. If the Flyers do that, control the tempo, don't take stupid penalties, and keep the pressure on Belfour, they can take this. Here's hoping they wake up and do it.

Old
04-29-2004, 11:36 AM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator88
The toughest game to win in a 7 game series for the team with home court/ice advantage is almost always the 3rd game.

The Leafs came out and did exactly what everyone should have expected them to do - play a physical (bordering on dirty, but not overly so) game and play as if their playoff lives depended on it.

The Flyers have been significantly outplayed now in 3 of the 9 periods of hockey in this series. (Period 2 of Game 2 and Periods 2 and 3 of Game 3). That being said, they have outplayed the Leafs in 4 of the periods in the series. This is exactly what we should've thought it would be - an evenly matched series that will go 6 or 7 games.

Here's what the Flyers need to do, in my mind, to get their level of play back up:

1) The Flyers need to play their game. The Flyers were baited last night into playing the same style of game that the Leafs were playing. They responded to the physical play by either trying to hit back or by working hard to stickhandle around players who were coming after them. They must get back to the basics.

2) In order to do this, the Flyers must be more composed under pressure. There were over 10 times last night where 3 Leafs players would be chasing after the same Flyers player. If that player had been more composed and made smarter plays (whether it be finding the right open man or chipping it along the boards when needed) there would have been more chances created in the offensive zone and there would have been a lot less turnovers.

3) They need to stay focused. This is really the most important thing. If they lose their cool long-term, this series is over. Fedoruk needs to sit - he made 3 plays that led directly to either penalties against or goals against. The Leafs will not get the same bounces they got last night in every game of the series. These things tend to even out over the course of a series.

The Stanley Cup playoffs are a war of attrition and determination. The team that is most determined to force the other teams to play their style of game is usually the team that wins. If the Flyers can dictate the style and pace of play (like they did in games 1 and 2 - despite getting outplayed in that style for stretches of game 2), they will win the series - even if they lose game 4 (as most 6 game series won by the team with home ice have splits in the first four and then games 5 and 6 won by the home team). If they continue to do what they did in the second and third period of last night's game - playing to the Leafs' style - they will lose.

Brian
great post.

lets hope the refs wise up and call the next game fair and square before this series causes serious injuries.

Old
04-29-2004, 03:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
i agree with the Fedoruk post. i screamed several times at my tv. WTF ARE YOU DOING FEDORUK!!!!!!!!! GET THE **** OFF THE ICE!

Old
04-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator88

Brian
That's a good post.

Getting off to a 2-0 start against the Leafs in this series may have given some people, including the playoffs, a false sense of security. The Leafs are a very good team, and the Flyers were NEVER going to sweep them.

With Johnsson back, the Flyers have to win game 4. Splitting in Toronto and coming back to Philadelphia with a 3-1 lead would put them in excellent position, but they have to be able to rebound, and like Mediator88 said, get back to basics and play their game.

Old
04-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Kemosabe

Quote:
the two hander= payback
and the guy took regular shifts later when he went down like he was shot, and he was slashed on the upper calf
He only played one shift after that.

Closed Thread