HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SJ SHarks buy Fremont Rink.

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Hockeycrazed07

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
SJ SHarks buy Fremont Rink.

In a move that has personal relevance to me, the Sharks today announced their purchase of what was Iceoplex in Fremont. Iceoplex, for those that don't know, used to be owned by Luc Robitaille, who used to visit Fremont semi-frequently. This is a rather important moment for me, as Iceoplex (now Fremont Ice Center) is where I learned how to skate, for the most part. I still go there occasionally. It's a nice ice place (comperable to Logitech, though only one rink), among the best in the Bay Area. If you'd like to support the Sharks' ownership, it's a nice place to go if you're into that sort of thing.

I have one question, though: do hockey ownership groups that are losing money buy ice rinks? Well, in this case, apparently they do.

~Crazed.

Old
04-28-2004, 07:16 PM
AvengerK

Send a message via AIM to AvengerK
Where in Fremont is this rink? When I come home for the summer, I will be looking for a place to skate.

Old
04-28-2004, 07:41 PM
corbanSOG
Registered Loser

i used to skate at the iceoplex. i had friends who played hockey there and a friend who used to teach figure skating there and would get me in for free, which was nice. it's nice to see the sharks org taking charge there. i don't think the sharks bought the rink though. sounds to me like the building is still owned by longmeadow partners and the hp pavilion mgt is going to be leasing it and running the rink. same difference i guess.

article

Old
04-28-2004, 09:25 PM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
I thought this was the rink that they bought to close down and fold all the leagues into the Logitech Ice leagues? (and a part of the reason why they're adding the 4th sheet of ice)...

Or was that a different rink?

Old
04-28-2004, 11:02 PM
YungGunner94

AHHHH i am HAPPY to hear this....this is the rink where i first skated and first put all my hockey gear on...great NEWS!!!

Old
04-29-2004, 12:45 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

The sharks got the business which included a lease on the building. I too used to
play there alot when it opened and knew the past rink managers. I remember
being around with Luke came by for a tour when he was in town
(he's a little guy for a NHL player ). The net of this is that it didn't
cost the sharks much to make this deal. Upside is that they have a formula that
makes money in SJ so why not do it on Fremont with a small intestment. There where some past plans
to expand the facility next door with another surface, that being ice or roller. WIth
the Sharks ownership leverage they may be able to realize this. I liked the hockey programs they ran for adults and kids better than the programs ran out of the ice center generally. THere's also noting like having a cold beer after the game, can;t
get that in SJ unless you BYO.

Old
04-29-2004, 10:48 AM
rekrul

From what I hear the plans are to give that rink a much needed overhaul AND add another sheet of ice, Crazed in case you didn't know all ready the logitech ice does bring in a good profit. with 3 sheets it now boasts the 2nd largest adult ice hockey league participation in the country. The city approved to give $8 mil in bonds for a fouth sheet and dressing rooms plus a resturaunt/bar. however the rink at eastridge got shut down and now the SVEE is doing the freemont place, from what i hear the Freemont ice renovation+new sheet is going to go through, the fourth sheet of ice is not a sure thing anymore and getting a replacement for eastridge is up in the air.

SVEE is not losing money like many of ther NHL franchises due to the sweetheart deal the city of SJ gave them ( them as in the Gunds which sold to SVEE ) in 1989.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Los Tiburones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrul
From what I hear the plans are to give that rink a much needed overhaul AND add another sheet of ice, Crazed in case you didn't know all ready the logitech ice does bring in a good profit. with 3 sheets it now boasts the 2nd largest adult ice hockey league participation in the country. The city approved to give $8 mil in bonds for a fouth sheet and dressing rooms plus a resturaunt/bar. however the rink at eastridge got shut down and now the SVEE is doing the freemont place, from what i hear the Freemont ice renovation+new sheet is going to go through, the fourth sheet of ice is not a sure thing anymore and getting a replacement for eastridge is up in the air.

SVEE is not losing money like many of ther NHL franchises due to the sweetheart deal the city of SJ gave them ( them as in the Gunds which sold to SVEE ) in 1989.
SVEE is losing money according to Jamison. I asked Jamison that question (difference between the Sharks and the holding company) on a Sharks chat last year specifically. I'm not saying that Jamison was telling the truth however. Very possible that he wasn't. I honestly have no conception of how the Sharks can lose money with their current payroll.

Old
04-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Thank goodness Eastridge ice is no more. That was the first place I went skating, and the ice there was horrible even for me then. To this day, I haven't seen worse ice, though I mainly stick to what was Iceoplex and Logitech (which I still call the Ice Center like a goof).

~Crazed.

Old
04-29-2004, 08:33 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

I like Redwood City - it's an older facility compaired to the
others for sure. The like the environment and
their hockey programs. Both myself and my 4.5 year
old have subsidized enough of this place that they should
decicate part of the structure in our name

Closed Thread