HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you really want from your goaltender...?

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2004, 06:39 AM
Catala

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Catala
What do you really want from your goaltender...?

As for me,
I think there are (grossomodo) 4 types of Goaltenders in the nhl.

1/ the ones who aren't very smooth in their game and that plays by instinct.

aka Cechmanek, Hasek...

What they can do is frustrate the opposition by doing unexpected moves. Not a great technique and not very stable (lot of bad goals in...), they can steal one game by themselves here and there...

2/ the ones who made the saves they have to make, no more, maybe less...

aka Huet (btw i like this guy), Gerber, and 70% of the league.

They are the regulars of the NHL. Can play a strong game without letting much bad goals through but won't make the impossible save...

3/ the ones comparable as walls...

aka brodeur, Khabibulyn, Luongo...

They are working by periods. When they are in their zone, nothing comes through. Why? only because they play the angles, get in their game fast and to pass them you will need huge screen in front of the net, deflections or bump into them...
Very strong technicaly, you can count on them during the season . For the playoffs, it all depends of what period they are in....

4/ Finaly, the playoffs performers.

aka Roy, Belfour...

They can be soft during the season or not, but when it counts, there they are. i don't really know how they do it, but when they just want to steal a game, they just do it.

Now why did i post this? simple, i just can't find a place for Theodore... I used to put him in the #3 category, but now, he is a mix of #3 and #2...

What we really need of our goaltender in Montreal is simple.
We can't afford a #4 category goaltender here in Montreal as we really need to get him going in the regular season.We don't have the offensive power that have Colorado or Toronto...

So what i want is a goaly that doesn't let 1 bad goal per game and that can steal one game every 5-6. Question is: How many goalies can do that in the league (not much quickly i only count 3-4) and do we have one in Montreal?

Catala

PS: interesting thing is that both Theo and Garon are still young. with experience they can only get better.

Old
04-29-2004, 10:39 AM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
3 ) And we have it in Theodore . He also 25% into level 4 .

Old
04-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
3 ) And we have it in Theodore . He also 25% into level 4 .
I just can't agree that Theo is a playoff performer. By my count we have played 10 games in these playoffs, and he has played well for 4 out of 10. Maybe 5, but definitely not more than that. Now put him next to Belfour in these playoffs and Belfour has played well in 7-8 out of 10. Big difference I'm afraid.

Right now Theo is better than average, but definitely not in the Brodeur class.

Cap

Old
04-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

I didn't put Theo on the same step as Belfour and Brodeur ... and what did Brodeur did for the Devils in the playoffs anyways ?! Theo stole the game he had to win , game 7 vs Boston .

Old
04-29-2004, 10:56 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
I didn't put Theo on the same step as Belfour and Brodeur ... and what did Brodeur did for the Devils in the playoffs anyways ?! Theo stole the game he had to win , game 7 vs Boston .
Ya but Brodeur has stole cups for the Devils, not just a game for a series. Same with eddy back when the Stars won the cup.

Old
04-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Haha, one game means nothing. You can't compare Theo to Brodeur AT ALL. Brodeur had a bad playoff, yes, but he has been a model of consistency for 99% of his career.

Theo has shown that he can have a good game when you need him to. Well guess what, partly because of his play we now need him to have 4 in a row.

Cap

Old
04-29-2004, 02:43 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
All the goaltenders "steal" at least one game in the playoffs. Heck, everyone thinks that Lalime is a bad playoff performer, but he already allowed one goal in 4 games not so long ago. Geez, got over it, it was one freaking game. Also, the team played an excellent game in front of him. Add to that, if he didn't sucked that bad, there's no way in hell that there's a 7th game to the series.

Old
04-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
All the goaltenders "steal" at least one game in the playoffs. Heck, everyone thinks that Lalime is a bad playoff performer, but he already allowed one goal in 4 games not so long ago. Geez, got over it, it was one freaking game. Also, the team played an excellent game in front of him. Add to that, if he didn't sucked that bad, there's no way in hell that there's a 7th game to the series.
I agree. Theo just hasn't accomplished much for me to back him unquestionably. When he's on he's good, but when he's not on, he's no better than an average goaltender. He needs to find that consistent level. He can't be superhuman every game, but he needs to come up with more clutch saves in my eyes that's for sure.

Watching the end of game 3 just made me cry. With that faceoff deep in our end, I cringed as I saw the puck go in. Theo back in his net, looking so small...yuck. He needs to be better, and I hope he will be.

Cap

Old
04-29-2004, 04:27 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

What do you really want from your goaltender...? One that stops more pucks then the guy at the other end of the rink.

Old
04-29-2004, 04:45 PM
markov`

Jose Theodore is

1) a really good goalie
2) not tradable. Keep dreaming if you want another goaltender.

Old
04-29-2004, 05:04 PM
EaGLE1

After game 3 I was very angry about Theodore. My heart spoke at that time. But now my head is telling me that we need to keep Theodore. No doubt. He's 27, he was good in the regular season but had crap py playoffs...So what? It happens.
He was not on a good streak. Remember that we lose 4 games in a row just before the playoffs and all the Kovalev low output distractions ??? After that the team stepped up but Theodore continue having problems...simple as that.

I think Jose will work on his weaknesses this summer and will be better next year.
Also maybe we should fired Melanson and get someone else to coach theo/garon...

Old
04-29-2004, 07:48 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

Melanson is one of the best . No way we fire him . but our D coach is terrible ....

Closed Thread