HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Siarhei Kastsitsyn Appreciation Thread

Old
03-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Rock On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs12max View Post
I don't really think so... Look at andrei's goal and sergei's one, you will see that andrei IS BY FAR a better shooter. Sergei's Wrist shot isn't that hard....But anyway, both of them should shoot more often
I think accuracywise, they are about the same. Sergei shot% is 25%. I think the main difference is the release. Sergei must take the time to shoot while Andrei could shoot very quickly and at NHL level I think that is the difference between a 20 goal scorer and a 30+ goal scorer

Rock On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 03:19 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock On View Post
Is there any real russian speaker on this board cause there's one thing I can't understand :

I know a bit of cyrillic alphabet and I don't understand why there's two version of his name. In Russian Sergei Kostitsyn or Siarhei Kastsitsyn is : Сергей Костицын
Since
C is like an S
e is like I…
p is like r
r is like g
e is again I…

and that :

K is K
O is O
C is again like S
T is T
N inversed is I
U or kinda is TS
B is like V
I is I
and H is like N

Shouldn't his name sounds like Siergiť Kostitsvin ? Because any of the two version is similar to the real one...
Hello, first post here but long time lurker

Anyways, I'm currently taking russian classes, so I think I can give you some help here.

Now, lets transliterate Сергей Костицын : Siergei Kostitsyn

Letter "й" is pronounced as the french sound "ille", which is why its not Siergiť. About Kostitsyn, your transliteration got messed up because you mixed letter "ы" with letter "B", both are very different. "ы" is, more or less, "y". Pronunciation wise, I'd say "ы" sounds like a very deep "i", almost like a Latin "e" (example : "Mы" is pronounced "mouie")

However, I believe there might be some confusion due to Sergei being Belorussian. Belorussian and Russian are slightly different languages. According to wikipedia, his name in belarussian is written Сяргей Касьціцын, which pronounced in Russian would be Siargei Kastitsyn.

Now, my unverified theory as to why they changed it from Kastitsyn to Kostitsyn :

Andrei, at the moment of his draft in 2003, had mostly played in Belarus. In Belarus, his name on the back of his jersey would be Касьціцын. However, he could not play in Russia with that name, since the letter "і" in Belorussian is not the same in Russian (its "и"). Thus, he had to "russify" his name (also by replacing the "o" with an "a", which sounds more Russian) as he played more in Russia. He might have grown into it, and kept it on his jersey when he came to North America.

I hope this was clear

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 03-07-2008 at 03:28 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 04:42 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post

Anyways, I'm currently taking russian classes, so I think I can give you some help here.

Letter "й" is pronounced as the french sound "ille", which is why its not Siergiť. About Kostitsyn, your transliteration got messed up because you mixed letter "ы" with letter "B", both are very different. "ы" is, more or less, "y". Pronunciation wise, I'd say "ы" sounds like a very deep "i", almost like a Latin "e" (example : "Mы" is pronounced "mouie")

However, I believe there might be some confusion due to Sergei being Belorussian. Belorussian and Russian are slightly different languages. According to wikipedia, his name in belarussian is written Сяргей Касьціцын, which pronounced in Russian would be Siargei Kastitsyn.

Now, my unverified theory as to why they changed it from Kastitsyn to Kostitsyn :

Andrei, at the moment of his draft in 2003, had mostly played in Belarus. In Belarus, his name on the back of his jersey would be Касьціцын. However, he could not play in Russia with that name, since the letter "і" in Belorussian is not the same in Russian (its "и"). Thus, he had to "russify" his name (also by replacing the "o" with an "a", which sounds more Russian) as he played more in Russia. He might have grown into it, and kept it on his jersey when he came to North America.

I hope this was clear
Clear as mud No, seriously, I speak a little Russian and you explained it better than I have in the past.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Clear as mud No, seriously, I speak a little Russian and you explained it better than I have in the past.
Sergei Kostitsyn is just too good !! And very cute too

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock On View Post
I think accuracywise, they are about the same. Sergei shot% is 25%. I think the main difference is the release. Sergei must take the time to shoot while Andrei could shoot very quickly and at NHL level I think that is the difference between a 20 goal scorer and a 30+ goal scorer
Exactly... Sergei's shot is extremely accurate,hard and powerful...
I can tell you cause i've seen him two times in Training Camp (at bell center) this summer! He impresses the hell out of me with his wrister. The only think that he will have to work on is his release. He takes too much time. We're not in the OHL, the game is much faster! But power wise his wrist shot is pretty similar to his brother's one! If he can learn to shoot faster watch out!!

Prospector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Rock On

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post

I hope this was clear
It's actually kinda very clear. Thanks a lot and I think your theory is probably right. I always thought belarussian and russian was same thing with, maybe, a different accent as south shore french accent and lac st jean french accent.

Well once again thanks a lot. I like to learn other languages than french and english so that was very instructive and BTW welcome to this board as a poster.

Rock On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 09:25 PM
shredder11

Him and his bro have me excited about the habs for the first time in awhile.
Hope we can keep them both!!!

shredder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 10:04 PM
statsfreak

Had some fun with stats charts. Some interesting stuff. Statistic of The 2 Kostitsyn Brother vs Kane and Gagner, Statistic are calculated by game played in the NHL.

LAST 3 SEASON

Point Total by game played in the last three year

Goal Total by game played in the last three year

The kost dominate when it come to hits and plus/minus

Plus/Miinus Total by game played in the last three year

Hits Total by game played in the last three year

We Can see patrick kane and sam gagner are getting more time on ice with their team.

Time On Ice

Power Play Time On Ice

SINCE JANUARY 1ST

Point Total by game played since january first

Goal Total by game played since january first

Plus/Minus Total by game played since january first

statsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 02:01 AM
BaseballCoach

bump

Congrats Sergei, we enjoy watching you play!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 02:13 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Should have seen him tongiht
Boy does he know how to chirp and mix things up.

He was in the ear or Clarkson Gionta and Elias all night long and boy oh boy teams hate him.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 06:09 AM
ari1160

great player, love this guy. the last few games he played and the passes he made was just incredible, reminds me of young saku as lota of you guys mention it. i want to get his jersey but does anyone knows if he is keeping #74 ?

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 06:37 AM
Evil Ted

23 pts in 41 games is pretty good, he will pass Latendresse before the season is over.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 06:53 AM
ari1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
23 pts in 41 games is pretty good, he will pass Latendresse before the season is over.
he also has 5 points in his last 5 games.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Anyway, he's already better than Latendresse.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:57 AM
HabsSlappy

I think it is about time that this thread was revived.

WAY TO GO SERGEI!!!

This guy has all the tools and is quickly becoming our most well rounded player of the past decade.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Ya tebia lublu.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:27 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
The London Knights also made him their CHL import pick that same summer before the NHL draft. The winter before that he was with Belarus at the South Dakota WJC (the next WJC B pool he was player of the tournament). The first preseason game he played for the knight he had a multi point game and it was clear to a blind man he had talent. When I saw the Habs drafted him too I was doubly excited.

Was being Andrei's brother a factor? maybe. Was it the reason that the Habs drafted him.? I doubt that strongly.

Scouting this kid would show he had skills. It is not like he was under a rock.

Billy is the real deal.
Put it the other way arround... the fact that sergei came last year really made andrei more hungry. I would guess that Sergei's presence on the team helped andrei to get over the fact that his wife and daughter weren't here last year... he must ve been a lonely man before sergei showed up.

Sergei played his juniors over here, he has a step ahead on Andrei in terms of positionning imo. They are two different kind of players... andrei will always be a sniper ... and sergei could get 20 goals, while being a great passer...

I wanted sergei in mtl from day 1 last year. when we drafted him, we knew andrei was top line material... he had a younger brother... we had nothing to lose in drafting sergei... and the same way we got olivier latendresse last year... it just can't be a bad thing.

I enjoy watching them play so much ... skilled, hungry , passionate and enhousiastic hockey is priceless.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:13 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
Put it the other way arround... the fact that sergei came last year really made andrei more hungry. I would guess that Sergei's presence on the team helped andrei to get over the fact that his wife and daughter weren't here last year... he must ve been a lonely man before sergei showed up.

Sergei played his juniors over here, he has a step ahead on Andrei in terms of positionning imo. They are two different kind of players... andrei will always be a sniper ... and sergei could get 20 goals, while being a great passer...

I wanted sergei in mtl from day 1 last year. when we drafted him, we knew andrei was top line material... he had a younger brother... we had nothing to lose in drafting sergei... and the same way we got olivier latendresse last year... it just can't be a bad thing.

I enjoy watching them play so much ... skilled, hungry , passionate and enhousiastic hockey is priceless.
I must say, I enjoy watching all of the forwards in our top 9 play and most of the ones in the bottom 3. I can't wait to see Laraque with Kostopolous and maybe Begin/Chipchura.

To me, we are among the most complete teams in the NHL and possibly even the #1 contender for the cup.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 04:06 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
And they throw snow. Kane is a tiny boy. Glorified Craig Janneys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
Kane and Gagner are 18.. sergei is 20

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote