HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[2008] David Desharnais - Can he become an NHLer or is he too small?

Old
03-09-2008, 12:19 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

vCash: 500
26-Game Point Streak

1 goal tonight to help the Cyclones win 4-3.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Lucius

NHL.com has an article on him.

It's a good read.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 12:29 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Awesome, awesome read.

And that doesn't even mention the 26-game point streak.. Wow.

I'm really, really excited about this kid now.

Old
03-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Awesome, awesome read.

And that doesn't even mention the 26-game point streak.. Wow.

I'm really, really excited about this kid now.
Come on man.. if grabovski at 5"9 can practicaly cut it... how will Desharnais?

its the ECHL and hes 5'6 ... theres like only 1 other 5'6 in the NHL and its Steve Sullivan

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 12:37 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post

its the ECHL and hes 5'6 ... theres like only 1 other 5'6 in the NHL and its Steve Sullivan
Steve Sullivan.. I thought he was 5'9"...

Anyway, Desharnais is short, I agree. But the reason he stands a chance at his height is because of his build. He's built like an absolute tank.. He's 5'6.. yeah.. but he's 180 LBS. He's like an even smaller version of Bouillon (body-wise).. and I know Bouillon get knocked off the puck easily, but Desharnais wouldn't have the same responsibilities being a forward.

So in conclusion, where many fault his height, I actually see his size as an advantage. He's small but very tough to knock off the puck.

Old
03-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Steve Sullivan.. I thought he was 5'9"...

Anyway, Desharnais is short, I agree. But the reason he stands a chance at his height is because of his build. He's built like an absolute tank.. He's 5'6.. yeah.. but he's 180 LBS. He's like an even smaller version of Bouillon (body-wise).. and I know Bouillon get knocked off the puck easily, but Desharnais wouldn't have the same responsibilities being a forward.

So in conclusion, where many fault his height, I actually see his size as an advantage. He's small but very tough to knock off the puck.
I first saw Bouillon up close in Quebec city when he was playing for the Citadelles. And my first impression of him was that "damn that guy is very skilled, moves the puck well, he's damn quick, great vision but he's way too small to be a defenseman". I always thought Cube should have been moved to left wing(with Lats as left D but that's my issue).

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 12:49 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Well, screw Carbo- I like the sound of that!
go vote for a president that won't destroy the world in his 1rst mandate...

then, only then, post stupid things on hf...

carbo is on the list for the ''coach on the year'' award ... he always was devoted to canadiens...

normally, I wouldn't have posted a reply ... But I had no choice... dumb, pointless and ignorant comment...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 12:56 AM
mtl_felix

I know he plays in the ECHL, but for a guy of his size, i think his season is pretty damn impressive.

The guy needs to be given a fair try in Hamilton next year and maybe even into some pre season games with the habs.

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 12:57 AM
muzion

The boy needs HGH in his life.

He's still young enough to blame his growth spurt on being a late bloomer.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 08:15 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
The boy needs HGH in his life.

He's still young enough to blame his growth spurt on being a late bloomer.
The thing is, while he is short, he's built like a tank. He's thick as hell.

180 LBS at 5'6 is... well crazy, because you know he's in good shape.

Old
03-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Gionta is like 5'5"

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 08:20 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gionta is like 5'5"
Both Gionta brothers are 5'7".. so even they are taller than Desharnais lol

Old
03-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Lucius

I think the St. Louis comparisons might be a bit much - in the article - but if Martin St. Louis taught GMs nothing its not to dismiss great talent due to lack of height.

I think Montreal should get him back under contract next year and let him play it in Hamilton. At his size, he'll never get the benefit of the doubt, but he's proven he's no ECHLer. So let's see what he does after a year in the AHL. Keep in mind, the ECHL is where a lot of tiny guys go to thrive. It's not until the AHL that size starts to play a key role.

If he can show promise (50-60 points), then he earns another contract. If he can ever get to a point a game in the AHL, then he starts earning call ups.

Until then, he's a longshot at best, but I think definitely worth a spot on the 50 man contract list. Sometimes guys like this just excel at each level they get tossed into (Gionta, St. Louis) and once they fill out and get a bit older, become valuable assets.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 09:56 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

27-Game Point Streak following tonight..

2 Goals, 2 Assists .. 4 PTS

54 GP, 22 G, 60 A, 82 PTS, +32, 14 PIM

Old
03-13-2008, 11:57 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I think the St. Louis comparisons might be a bit much - in the article - but if Martin St. Louis taught GMs nothing its not to dismiss great talent due to lack of height.

I think Montreal should get him back under contract next year and let him play it in Hamilton. At his size, he'll never get the benefit of the doubt, but he's proven he's no ECHLer. So let's see what he does after a year in the AHL. Keep in mind, the ECHL is where a lot of tiny guys go to thrive. It's not until the AHL that size starts to play a key role.

If he can show promise (50-60 points), then he earns another contract. If he can ever get to a point a game in the AHL, then he starts earning call ups.

Until then, he's a longshot at best, but I think definitely worth a spot on the 50 man contract list. Sometimes guys like this just excel at each level they get tossed into (Gionta, St. Louis) and once they fill out and get a bit older, become valuable assets.
I dont' see any reason why the Habs wouldn't want to keep him. I got to think Carbo had at least some say in him getting signed to begin with, since I assume he knows the Sags players quite well. But it may be in Desharnais's best interest to go with another club where he can get more playing time in the AHL, unless we are planning on unloading/losing several forwards this summer cause we should be getting at least 3 forwards going to Hamilton (Maxwell/White/Wyman) but it's hard to say who will not be back among the current group.

I think I saw every game Desharnais played in Hamilton and he wasn't too impressive but it was only 4 or 5 games. Will be interesting to see if he and Beauregard can move up to Hamilton full time next year along with others like Aubin, Gleed, Latendresse, Bonneau and Desjardins.

Great season for Desharnais though, can't remember the last guy we had in the ECHL that did this good. I know Ryder was named to the ECHL All Stars like Desharnais but his stay was very short (25 games or so)

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Belso

I read the article and I'm not surprised to hear he's got good work ethics. I went to one rookie camp day at the beginning of the season and I remember how hard he worked.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...p#post10388691

The fact that I noticed his hard work does seem to show he did stand out in that department. It's good to know that it has translated into points this season.

I just wonder what the Habs will do with him. I don't see why they would not give him a chance in the AHL next season.

But if he does ok in the AHL, and he's capable of playing in the NHL, where do you place him? I guess that depends on who the Habs have under contract for the 2009-10 season because chances are he plays in Hamilton next season.

I wish him all the luck. He deserves it...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 02:21 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post

carbo is on the list for the ''coach on the year'' award ... he always was devoted to canadiens...

normally, I wouldn't have posted a reply ... But I had no choice... dumb, pointless and ignorant comment...
But assuimg that since I'm American I must like and have voted for George Bush is intelligent, meaningful, and insightful?

As far as my original comment... I guess it really is necessary to put the with anything that's not to be taken 100% literally.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Plekanetzz

Isn't Carbonneau the president of the Saguenéens de Chicoutimi? If so, I think that he already know this guy well and IMO it could turn in an advantage for Desharnais

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystobal View Post
Isn't Carbonneau the president of the Saguenéens de Chicoutimi? If so, I think that he already know this guy well and IMO it could turn in an advantage for Desharnais
Good point!! Good observation...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

In my opinion he needs to finish his ECHL season first, then you offer him a 2 years contract. If he gets an average of a point per game in the AHL next year, you call him up to see if he can play in the big league if he can't you send him down. That simple.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Richybaby

Quote:
but its the ECHL... Even Mathieu Aubin 6"3 208 right handed Center that we DESPERATELY need, cant even stay in the AHL consistently
He could easyly but the problem is that he dont play center anymore. He's playing on the wing. He has is place in the AHL but Lever wants him to play more so he sent him own in the Coast.

Hamilton have too much free agent in their team and are taking the place of younger player like him, Beauregard, etc...

Richybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 02:36 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Now 85 points in 56 games. Next closest on the team is 64 points. BTW, David is also a +33.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:36 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post

Why on earth would you make a political reference to an obviously light hearted innocent remark that had nothing to do with her political views. Of the many oddball posts I've read here, this is right up there.

As to instructing the young lady when she can offer opinions, did I doze off for a month and a coup was launched , giving you some kind of ownership here.

psst L'il Winger, fans of the Big Blue gotta stick together.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:48 PM
kernkraft

Grabs is 5'11, he's taller than Koivu and Plekanec. He needs more weight, but he's going to adapt. Good players always do.

Which is why it's imperative to always give talent a chance over physical attributes.

kernkraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Grabs is 5'11, he's taller than Koivu and Plekanec. He needs more weight, but he's going to adapt. Good players always do.

Which is why it's imperative to always give talent a chance over physical attributes.
Grabovsky is 5'9" or 5'9.5" nowhere near 5'11", one of the reasons he gets knocked down a lot is he stakes bent over forward not balanced.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote