HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Sharks @ Preds - 3.11.08(stoner edition)

Old
03-12-2008, 09:36 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Yeah that was odd, I noticed that too.

Was this game part of the ice pack packages?
I don't believe it was. Thursday is.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 09:42 AM
RollingPredFan

I disagree, Stranger, I still think he was interfered with. He sold it no more than any Shark payer did all night. I just want consistency.

Anyways I am not a big 'hey, let's fight' guy all the time... but I think we let the Sharks get away with too much. That hit to Radulov... The Tootoo thing... Someone should have payed the piper for all of that.

And I wish Trotzy would stop screwing with all the lines.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
I disagree, Stranger, I still think he was interfered with. He sold it no more than any Shark payer did all night. I just want consistency.

Anyways I am not a big 'hey, let's fight' guy all the time... but I think we let the Sharks get away with too much. That hit to Radulov... The Tootoo thing... Someone should have payed the piper for all of that.

And I wish Trotzy would stop screwing with all the lines.
I thought the refs were pretty consistent. They let a lot of interference both ways go. They let a lot of cross-checks and slashes go. Both teams got away with a lot of things. Both teams got 5 power play opportunities. I thought both teams got away with way too much stuff.

And you weren't going to get any Sharks to drop the gloves with a Pred. This was one game that the coaching staff most likely would've told the squad ahead of time to just avoid it because of the bad blood from the Predators' end.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
I just want consistency.
Then we're both watching the wrong league, because I want it too. I've never seen refs call a game consistent.

Quote:
I don't think the Sharks were willing to go last night and were looking to draw penalties all night. Hence alot of cheap stuff on their part and no answer from us at all.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 10:42 AM
lugnut76

I have been a pretty big Trotz guy. . .that was until the end of the last night's game.

Bonk has shown zero ability as a winger offensively and his plus-minus speaks for his defense. Why in the h*** is Trotz starting the game with him on the first line. Remember not too long ago when our top line was one of the most dominant lines in hockey, and remember when the Predators were jumping on teams early and scoring first period goals? What is Trotz thinking?

This team is a million dollars of effort with a bunch of two cent heads. Why is it that they seem to make so many terrible mistakes? The goal that was reviewed was scored all because of a bad change. You can see Nichol yelling at Smithson to get on the ice as he was coming off. How do you loose track of the game like that at such a critical time? The second goal was because DeVries couldn't handle the puck, which seems to be a resent trend among our "high quality" power play point men (see Zidlicky and Ville).

I don't think the Predator penalties were malicious, but for the most part were penalties. Penalties have been a problem for this team of how many years now, and although this year has improved, the timing of these stupid penalties couldn't be worse.

Trotz doesn't seem to instill toughness. Effort does not equal tough, and last night the Predators toughness was tested by a physical/dirty team and all that play went completely unanswered. With the exception of a few guys, this is a very soft team. I don't know if that comes from Poile or Trotz, but at some point someone needs to stand up for the team. I would like to see Arnott step in and show toughness, but don't see that happening because he doesn't seem like that kind of player, which may be part of the problem.

Anyone who thinks this is a playoff team is kidding themselves. They had a good run to move into position for a playoff spot, which to me speaks more about this team's inconsistency than this team's ability. The goaltending is inconsistent, the power play is inconsistent, the physical play is inconsistent, the lines are inconsistent, the discipline is inconsistent, and the mental focus seems inconsistent. The only thing this team seems to be able to do with any consistency is win face-offs.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 11:51 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 50
1. Crap calls [no-calls] benefitting the Sharks, GET OUT OF TOWN!

2. We had our chance to get back in it, Nabby was too awesome.

3. If Tootoo had caught Nabs with the butt end of his stick as he was rounding the corner, how would this conversation be going, ask yourselves that Sharks nation, ask yourselves that.

4. Ellis really kept us in a game that could have been ugly, Sharks are so much better than us this season, there is no denying that. have to give credit there.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
3. If Tootoo had caught Nabs with the butt end of his stick as he was rounding the corner, how would this conversation be going, ask yourselves that Sharks nation, ask yourselves that.
10 page thread on the main board.

Old
03-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
10 page thread on the main board.
All right, making this prediction before I go there...but I assume that most are hailing Nabakov for "giving Tootoo what's coming to him." But I hope I'm pleasantly surprised...

The last post I read on that thread last night (around 2:30 AM) was actually a Sharks fan saying that Nabakov had no place putting his stick out there in that fashion and admitting that Evgeni was in the wrong...so I have some hope...just a little hope...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

maybe once Steve Ott gets off his 3 game suspension ... he'll have some fun with Nabokov

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 02:42 PM
RollingPredFan

Look like grade school just got out.

Oh and on the main board they are saying Tootoo was never touched, he dove. LOL

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 02:52 PM
lugnut76

He did dive. . .just ask Roenick

Old
03-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

you can't honestly say he didn't embellish it.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 03:53 PM
lugnut76

Nobody. . .I don't care how crazy they might be. . .would embellish a play in a way that might cause them to crash into the boards like that or embellish in a way with such a high probablity for injury.

Old
03-12-2008, 04:19 PM
JesterOnly

vCash: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
Nobody. . .I don't care how crazy they might be. . .would embellish a play in a way that might cause them to crash into the boards like that or embellish in a way with such a high probablity for injury.
As a Flyer fan, Downie did it when Laraque pushed him from behind. I'm not sure if it was embellishing or a natural reaction ie. get your head down to roll out of it and avoid head injury. I think it was embellishment.

I'm not necessarily going to say that Tootoo embellished, though I don't think the incident was as bad as the result would make it seem. Perhaps it just caught him by surprise and that surprise threw him off. Tootoo is notorious for playing on the edge of legality. I really don't like him as a player because of what he's done in the past and continues to do, but I'm not letting that alter my view of what happened during this incident. Tootoo likes to push the limits, and I think he tried to either brush Nabokov or 'buzz the tower' and Nabokov defended his crease.

I'm not defending what Nabby did. I'm a huge fan of him, and he doesn't play dirty, but he shouldn't be lifting his stick like that. He does it very often, nearly every game, and I've never seen anybody hit by it. A lot of goalies do pretty much the same thing (though not lifting their sticks as high) and it's very rare to see anyone struck by the stick. I highly doubt that Nabokov intentionally hit Tootoo with the stick. I don't think he should have lifted his stick like that, I think that he should stop immediately, and it was uncalled for.

JesterOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterOnly View Post
I'm not defending what Nabby did. I'm a huge fan of him, and he doesn't play dirty, but he shouldn't be lifting his stick like that. He does it very often, nearly every game, and I've never seen anybody hit by it. A lot of goalies do pretty much the same thing (though not lifting their sticks as high) and it's very rare to see anyone struck by the stick. I highly doubt that Nabokov intentionally hit Tootoo with the stick. I don't think he should have lifted his stick like that.
Nabokov almost caught Smithson doing the exact same thing during the game last night, except it was going to be the blade of the stick. It was very close to catching Smithson.

Old
03-12-2008, 04:34 PM
JesterOnly

Quote:
Nabokov almost caught Smithson doing the exact same thing during the game last night, except it was going to be the blade of the stick. It was very close to catching Smithson.
Like I said, he does it a lot. I know he does it to "defend his crease,' but I don't believe that he should be doing it, especially bringing the stick up so high. Generally he puts it up early so the forechecker can see it and move out of the way, like a lot of goalies do, but it's not like it's an exact science or anything. I actually don't think he was very close to catching Smithson, it was there, but I don't think it was all that close. Nabokov also doesn't like Nashville, because they did run him in previous games, so he may lift his stick higher and bring it up later against them as compared to any other team in the league.

Old
03-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Like I said, he does it a lot. I know he does it to "defend his crease,' but I don't believe that he should be doing it, especially bringing the stick up so high. Generally he puts it up early so the forechecker can see it and move out of the way, like a lot of goalies do, but it's not like it's an exact science or anything. I actually don't think he was very close to catching Smithson, it was there, but I don't think it was all that close. Nabokov also doesn't like Nashville, because they did run him in previous games, so he may lift his stick higher and bring it up later against them as compared to any other team in the league.
I was at a very good angle at the game for both incidents. He was very, very close to catching Smithson. I'm not saying he's a dirty player all the time, I was just pointing the incident out.

Old
03-12-2008, 05:20 PM
JR303

Quote:

I'm not necessarily going to say that Tootoo embellished, though I don't think the incident was as bad as the result would make it seem. Perhaps it just caught him by surprise and that surprise threw him off. Tootoo is notorious for playing on the edge of legality. I really don't like him as a player because of what he's done in the past and continues to do, but I'm not letting that alter my view of what happened during this incident. Tootoo likes to push the limits, and I think he tried to either brush Nabokov or 'buzz the tower' and Nabokov defended his crease.

I'm not defending what Nabby did. I'm a huge fan of him, and he doesn't play dirty, but he shouldn't be lifting his stick like that. He does it very often, nearly every game, and I've never seen anybody hit by it. A lot of goalies do pretty much the same thing (though not lifting their sticks as high) and it's very rare to see anyone struck by the stick. I highly doubt that Nabokov intentionally hit Tootoo with the stick. I don't think he should have lifted his stick like that, I think that he should stop immediately, and it was uncalled for.
Tootoo wasn't doing anything toward Nabakov. He was moving (really damn fast) to forecheck your defender. He had the puck and was heading behind the net. Tootoo had him lined up and had the angle on him, but what Nab did was jam his stick in Tootoo's face just as he went past. That made 22 veer off course, miss the defender and take himself out of the play. If he hits the defender it's gonna kill him because he's really moving, but if a skater had done that (not a keeper) it would have been called interference in the very least. Nabakov just got away with it.

Sharks were better, deserved to win, don't like it but that's the way it goes.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'm going to agree with the above poster. In this instance, Tootoo wasn't doing anything, nor did it look like he was going to even try to "buzz" the goaltender......He was forchecking the defender who was skating with the puck behind the net...

03-13-2008, 02:38 AM
JesterOnly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'm going to agree with the above poster. In this instance, Tootoo wasn't doing anything, nor did it look like he was going to even try to "buzz" the goaltender......He was forchecking the defender who was skating with the puck behind the net...
A skater can both forecheck and 'buzz' the goalie in the same pass if timed right. It's common, and a reason goalies feel the need to defend their crease. Roenick does it every single time he's in uniform. It's part of the game, and all players know that. It can be used to attempt to get into the goalies' head. Like I said, I don't know if it was Tootoo's intention, but it very well could be. He is an agitator, after all.

Like I said, I'm not defending Nabokov. I was trying to think of things that might be running through Tootoo's head and reasons why this incident occured and why it has not in the past.

Edit: And from why I know about the rulebook, or at least how calls have been made subjectively, a goalie cannot be called for interference unless he is clearly interfering with an opposing player outside of his crease. I don't remember how far Nabby was out from the net, but from what i remember, he was in his crease, and is basically (based on how calls have been made, not my opinion) is allowed to do anything not blatantly illegal (such as swinging the stick) to defend his crease.

Old
03-13-2008, 04:27 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Bonk has shown zero ability as a winger offensively and his plus-minus speaks for his defense. Why in the h*** is Trotz starting the game with him on the first line. ...What is Trotz thinking?
Well most likely trying to find some sort of combination that would keep Thornton/Cheechoo in check. And the fact that they (esp Thornton) were largely ineffective, I would say it worked. Even though they had a few chances and got points it wasn't like they were the driving force behind the goals (a controversial PPG and a defensive turnover).

I still say that Pavelski swept the puck into the net with his knee. That review was beyond rediculous. They need to have a time limit like the NFL. If you can't make a definitive decision in X amount of time, you will never be able to make one.

I was disappointed with the way we responded to the goal. It seemed to deflate us and we finished the period with no energy at all.

It's ironic that Tootoo is so dirty "leading with his stick" but Nabokov is OK. Hipocrites.

Nabokov did it to Tootoo again later (I thought it was 22 that skated by but some above said it was Smithson so maybe it was him, or maybe Nabokov did it to both). Tootoo was skating about 3-5 feet in front of the crease and Nabokov came out of his crease and stuck his 'big fat grandma arm' goalie stick into 22's face while he was going by. Yes goalies stick their sticks out while players come near, but they don't put them in a players face as he is skating by chasing another player for the puck. I don't buy that goalies can do anything in their crease. Being responsible for your stick is what every single player, coach, broadcaster, fan, etc. yells about all the time and here a goalie puts an obvious butt end into someone (it doesn't matter who he's swinging at) and there is no call. The puck was behind the net so there is no excuse for not seeing it. And if Tootoo hadn't been hit and actually hit the Shark player, bet me that there would have been a penalty. Then there would be a 10 pg thread about how it was charging from 100 feet away, a dirty hit, he left his feet and he should be banned from the NHL.

Also, I didn't know waterskiing was allowed back into the NHL.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote