Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

[SWE] Mini Magic

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2004, 01:39 AM
bossy22

vCash: 500
[SWE] Mini Magic

Any news in the Swedish media regarding Robert Nilsson?

I know he left Switzerland in mid march once Fribourg was eliminated from the NLA palyoffs. Any chances he might win a roster spot on the WC or World Cup Rosters or is that pushing it? Does that fact that Leksands was facing relagation this year have anything to do with his lack of ice time and subsequent move to Fribourg? Does Leksands still own his rights? Any info or links would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:14 AM
Zamora

he will not play in the World cup....
Leksand still owns his rights and will get money for him if a another swedish club wants to sign him.. his contract ends 30 april this year....

Old
04-11-2004, 11:47 PM
bossy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamora
he will not play in the World cup....
Leksand still owns his rights and will get money for him if a another swedish club wants to sign him.. his contract ends 30 april this year....

Does both the World Championships and the World Cup have U22 mandatory roster positions? If so, is Nilsson that far behind Steen, Eriksson, Enstrom, etc do have a shot to make these teams?

Old
04-12-2004, 04:04 AM
Fredrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22
Does both the World Championships and the World Cup have U22 mandatory roster positions? If so, is Nilsson that far behind Steen, Eriksson, Enstrom, etc do have a shot to make these teams?
There are no mandatory roster positions in any of these tournaments. Nilsson didn't play well the last season so he wouldn't make the team even if there had been slots for youth players. If he can get his act together though I think he could be a player for the future. However, I'm not sure it will happen.

Old
04-13-2004, 03:11 PM
bossy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik
There are no mandatory roster positions in any of these tournaments. Nilsson didn't play well the last season so he wouldn't make the team even if there had been slots for youth players. If he can get his act together though I think he could be a player for the future. However, I'm not sure it will happen.

For the World Championship (WC) I'm unable to tell if there are mandatory roster spots for U22 players.

However, for the World Cup I see that a roster of 26 players (23 Skaters + 3 Goalies) must have 3 under-22 aged players. Team will dress 18 Skaters and 2 goalies so the U22's might not see any ice time, but they will be on the squad. Its a rule change made last Sept.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/teams/m...ews/wc001.html

Rosters do not have to be announced until mid May but I doubt Nilsson will recieve any consideration due to his disappointing year.

Bossy22

Old
04-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Quote:
For the World Championship (WC) I'm unable to tell if there are mandatory roster spots for U22 players.

However, for the World Cup I see that a roster of 26 players (23 Skaters + 3 Goalies) must have 3 under-22 aged players. Team will dress 18 Skaters and 2 goalies so the U22's might not see any ice time, but they will be on the squad. Its a rule change made last Sept.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/teams/m...ews/wc001.html

Rosters do not have to be announced until mid May but I doubt Nilsson will recieve any consideration due to his disappointing year.

Bossy22
The rules have been changed and you don't have to carry three U22's in the World Cup. Such rules have also never been considered in World Champs. Robert Nilsson is far away from making any of these rosters at the moment.

Old
04-13-2004, 04:03 PM
bossy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
The rules have been changed and you don't have to carry three U22's in the World Cup. Such rules have also never been considered in World Champs. Robert Nilsson is far away from making any of these rosters at the moment.

Thanks for the update.
I saw lots of discusion about U22's roster spots on HF Boards a while ago. Tweaked my interest a little when I saw specualtive rosters including Steen, etc so I was wondering if people were still considering Nilsson to be as good a prospect as these players. Eliteprospects.com still has him #3 of all drafted Swedish players.

The link was to hockeycanada's website that annoced the U22 roster spots last September. If thats been changed again, I'll look into it and advise hockeycanada to update its site.

By the way, what's your take on Nilsson? Has he really fallen off the charts due to his poor year?

Bossy22

Old
04-14-2004, 02:38 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Quote:
Thanks for the update.
I saw lots of discusion about U22's roster spots on HF Boards a while ago. Tweaked my interest a little when I saw specualtive rosters including Steen, etc so I was wondering if people were still considering Nilsson to be as good a prospect as these players. Eliteprospects.com still has him #3 of all drafted Swedish players.

The link was to hockeycanada's website that annoced the U22 roster spots last September. If thats been changed again, I'll look into it and advise hockeycanada to update its site.

By the way, what's your take on Nilsson? Has he really fallen off the charts due to his poor year?

Bossy22
Definetly not, everyone can have a poor year, and when the team also struggles it's easy to scratch a youngster. Nilsson still have a huge upside and I hope (and think) he will bounce back next season, but it depends a little on where he is gonna play. SEL team Djurgården have a system that could fit him well, where he will have a role where he won't have to take that much defensive responsibility. I could also head to the AHL, even if I doubt it, and play for Bridgeport. I think both of this clubs would be good for his delevopment. He has got a real ice vision and can open up the ice with long plays and when you got that skills (which is hard to learn other wise) u got talent and almost always becomes at least a decent player. I'm sure he'll play reguraly in the NHL someday, he maybe not will be that huge star, but he will play there one day. That's what I think

Old
04-14-2004, 06:45 PM
bossy22

Quote:
Definetly not, everyone can have a poor year, and when the team also struggles it's easy to scratch a youngster. Nilsson still have a huge upside and I hope (and think) he will bounce back next season, but it depends a little on where he is gonna play. SEL team Djurgården have a system that could fit him well, where he will have a role where he won't have to take that much defensive responsibility. I could also head to the AHL, even if I doubt it, and play for Bridgeport. I think both of this clubs would be good for his delevopment. He has got a real ice vision and can open up the ice with long plays and when you got that skills (which is hard to learn other wise) u got talent and almost always becomes at least a decent player. I'm sure he'll play reguraly in the NHL someday, he maybe not will be that huge star, but he will play there one day. That's what I think
Good to hear.
Does the fact that Leksands was facing relagation this year have anything to do with his lack of ice time? I mean if the team knew half way through the SEL season that they could possibly be regagated, I can see the club opting to play older established players.

Old
04-14-2004, 06:46 PM
bossy22

Quote:
Yep, you are absolutely correct. U22 mandatory roster positions for the World Cup has been scraped.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=77574

Thanks for the info.

Bossy22

Old
04-15-2004, 03:02 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Quote:
Good to hear.
Does the fact that Leksands was facing relagation this year have anything to do with his lack of ice time? I mean if the team knew half way through the SEL season that they could possibly be regagated, I can see the club opting to play older established players.
I think it was one of the reasons. But, if your good enough you play either way, but Nilsson didn't show anything special, especially pointwise, and that's the main reason he had limited ice-time. He though bounced back in the middle of the season when he was put alongside Rastislav Pavlikovsky, but was soon demoted to the bench again. He simply wasn't good enough this year, but he didn't get so many opportunitys to show what he can either. Besides, he is very young, and those players often are inconsistent, as is Nilsson. Leksand, with their poor play in the league, didn't have the patience with him play IMO.

EDIT: Leksand didn't knew until the last games that they should play regulation.

Old
04-29-2004, 11:37 PM
bossy22

Confirmed: Robert Nilsson to Djurgården

Well it looks like Robert Nilsson is moving to Djurgården.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/news.php?news=897

I've read over the past few months that when things were not going so well with Leksands, that Kent Nilsson was trying to move his son's rights to this team. However, it didn't pan out and he moved to the NLA.

I've seen some comments Djurgården might be a better suit for Robert and his development. Can someone who is familiar with the team or the SEL fill me in on a couple of things?

#1 Why or why not is this club a better fit for Robert? I thought I read it was a younger team with a more skate and score mindset and that its a better developmental team. Is that because it has better coaching or more resources for player development? Any other reasons?

#2 Is there a club chat site in english that I might be able to read a little more on his progress next season?

Thanks in advance.

Old
04-30-2004, 08:59 AM
Fredrik

Quote:
#1 Why or why not is this club a better fit for Robert? I thought I read it was a younger team with a more skate and score mindset and that its a better developmental team. Is that because it has better coaching or more resources for player development? Any other reasons?
The best reasons for him to move there as I see it have nothing to do with the club's style of play. The reasons are that the club and coach wants him which means he should get sufficient ice time. Also, he'll be living closer to his family and I believe this could help him. I think some of his problems last season were non-hockey related...

Quote:
#2 Is there a club chat site in english that I might be able to read a little more on his progress next season?
Not that I'm aware of.

Old
04-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Swedelicious

Quote:
Eliteprospects?

Closed Thread