HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: 8th place in the East

Old
03-13-2008, 09:09 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
I think you should include Boston and the 7th place as well.

They are only one point ahead of Philly, in the middle of a slump, they have to play us 2 more times, and they play the leafs 2 more times as well. The leafs can beat them twice and we beat them twice they can easilt gain 8 points on them. However Boston has 2 games in hand.
I think Boston/Philly will be 7th and 8th and Montreal will be 1st or 2nd. I think our 1st round is going to be a SINCH to win this year

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 09:11 AM
zurg999

Bottom line is they're not good enough to make it. Anyone want 20:1 odds in your favour?

Look at this this way: they'd have to go at 8-1-1 in their last 10 (91pts) to have a good shot. Maybe 7-2-1 (89 pts) would do it but if that were to happen it would have to be combined with a freakish amount of help from the teams sitting 8th-11th right now.

Leafs were done a couple of weeks ago.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 09:24 AM
TCIH

Hopefully the Leafs keep winning. Just not against us.

I'm perfectly comfortable with Boston or Philadelphia landing in the 7th or 8th seed, and us keeping one of the top 2. We match up well against hard-nosed, hitting teams. If Toronto can wind up 9th with a 10+ spot draft pick, I'll be happy.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Habs8517

anything but the laffs
cbc would pimp those ******** to new highs
i want the phlly to finish 8th so we can beat the living **** out of briere

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Habs

Isn't it ironic that we can do to Toronto this year, what they did to us last year. We play Toronto twice still this season, I'd love to see this team crush their chances of the playoffs on the last game of the year.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 09:50 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Toronto won't sneak into 8th.
LIES, THESE ARE LIES

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Toronto won't sneak into 8th.
I hope it comes down to their last game of the season.....

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 09:51 AM
HabsPack

I could see Toronto beating Mtl in a 7 game series due to their size and heavy forechecking style that gives the Habs fits. I'd much rather the Habs face Philly or Boston (preferably the Flyers). The Caps are a much better team than a couple of yrs ago, they could be dangerous and I can see them picking up the 8th spot, especially if Huet's in net for the stretch run.

If the Habs can beat Ottawa at least 2 of the last 3 meetings between them then Mtl will likely finish 2nd overall, other wise it could any number of positions (4th, 5th, 6th) which would make for a very tough opening round (Carolina is coming on strong and won't be a pushover). Hopefully Mtl will take these Ottawa games seriously and not come out like the last game in Ottawa (a 6-1 L), winning the division and getting an easier seeding is top priority ... should be interesting tonight.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPack View Post
I could see Toronto beating Mtl in a 7 game series due to their size and heavy forechecking style that gives the Habs fits.

Oh No You Din't!

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:12 AM
HabsPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post

Oh No You Din't!
I know, pretty scary eh?

Toronto finishing 9th in the East would be just perfect

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Awesome! We have a chance to crush their hearts. 2 regulation losses and their out and we face them 2 more time.

Revenge!

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Russeltown

And I am going to this last game...

Is it normal that, by the end of the year, I will have watched live more Leafs games than Habs games?

Russeltown

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I would definetly prefer Philly to take 8th place and Boston 7th, as we could be confronted to Boston in the first round if we finish 1st in our division (and 2nd in the EC), and Philly if we finish first in the conference. Also, Philly against either Pitts or NJ could make for a good series as they are all divisional rivals, and the Habs might end up having a series against Philly in the second round. That is, to me, the best case scenario.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Russeltown

MTL vs. Philly... Philly washed out in 4.

What do you think of that, Briere?

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:36 AM
bipolarhabfan

TO will finish the season at 9-10th place because it is very difficult to make up five points in 10 games. You need a lot of help and win 8-9 games to do so. Not impossible but highly improbable.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:51 AM
mrCoffea*

I don't understand how anyone here would want to play Toronto in the first round, Montreal ALWAYS plays like **** against Toronto, and if they play in Toronto forget about getting fair treatment by the refs. Does anyone recall the last game of last year when Toronto got a powerplay for 70% of the 3rd period after being down by 2 goals?

The only way we have a chance against Toronto is if Price shuts them down, but that's easier said than done. And frankly, I wouldn't want to lose to Toronto in the playoffs, I don't even want the chance of that happening. Let Toronto not make the playoffs so we can laugh at their incompetence. That's the far better option for me

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
MTL vs. Philly... Philly washed out in 4.

What do you think of that, Briere?
Danielle will definetly toopsy-doodle over that fact....

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 11:08 AM
anarmandaleb

I'm more worried about the 4th and 5th spots as it seems pretty likely that it's gonna be us and Pittsburgh (unless the Sens just can't get their act together)... And I have a really bad feeling about going up against Pittsburgh in the playoffs right now.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 11:20 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPack View Post
I could see Toronto beating Mtl in a 7 game series due to their size and heavy forechecking style that gives the Habs fits.
Aside from Ponikarovski, Antropov and Sundin, their forwards aren't taller or bigger than ours, and they don't play that physical. Our defence is also bigger and more physical. The Leafs are smaller than last year, while the Habs are somewhat bigger.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
TO will finish the season at 9-10th place because it is very difficult to make up five points in 10 games. You need a lot of help and win 8-9 games to do so. Not impossible but highly improbable.
I'll be worried until they're officially dead.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Shred

I hope the Leafs sneak in 8th, I love to hate them and would like to face them in the playoffs. Also, I hope Carolina completely tanks...I also hate them but I hate that they even exist and it would be nice to see Ovechkin and Huet in the playoffs.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 02:27 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
I think you VASTLY underrate Washington when they've significantly improved their team since the deadline. I can bet you Ovechkin would be an absolute horse in the playoffs and it will take nothing short of a tranquilizer to shut him down for an entire series. Komisarek hitting would more likely keep his adrenaline pumping and make him more dangerous rather than wear him down. I mean the guy gets his lip mashed, his nose broken and still manages to score 4 goals to break the game. He's not afraid of a little physical play.

Washington now has Fedorov, your missing shutdown center and a pure bread champ. He's acting as a mentor to the young Russians as Kovalev is to our young Europeans but if I had to choose. I'd take Fedorov as leader for a run at the cup. Their team has an average goals against of 2 a game since the deadline. This isn't the same team we faced.

We split them during the season series, I don't see how you can call a sweep in the playoffs. Couple that with the fact that they'll have our goalie of 3 years who practiced with our shooters and has knowledge of our style and you have yourself a very dangerous opponent.

We could beat them in a series, I just don't know how you can pick them over Philly or Boston whom we absolutely dominate.
Who cares about the season series? The regular season means absolutely nothing come playoff time.

I didn't say Ovechkin would be afraid of Komi, but he would get tired. ONE forward could not win an entire series by himself that's why I'm not afraid. Do you think he'd score 4 goals a game? I doubt it. Markov and Komi would be all over him and give him no room at all.

What is Fedorov going to do? Sure he has speed, might put himself in good position, but physically he cannot even touch Kovalev. There is no way he himself could shutdown that line. Who is going to help him? Matt Bradley? Brooks Laich? Come on be realistic.

That goalie of 3 years thing is stupid. Shooters are aware of their tendencies. Goalies have weaknesses that stick with them for a long time. The players know how to beat Huet more than Huet knows how to beat players.

Philly and Boston are tough physical teams. You can take that kind of punishment one game at a time, therefore the Habs have success against them in the regular season. But in a 7 game series it'll start to catch up. They are both better than the Capitals.

I still call a sweep, maybe Ovechkin/Huet take 1 game.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Tie Domi

Send a message via AIM to Tie Domi
Im a Leafs fan, and I think it would be pretty fun to watch these two teams going at it. The Habs are a great team this year, they own teams here and there by large margins even, but I think that the Leafs will win if they meet in the playoffs. Leafs are different somewhat when it comes to playoffs, and when they have pressure on them they play much better, when you look at two years ago leafs won were like 9-1-1 i think the last 11 games, and last year they were on a good run at the end, and even won the final game vs montreal cuz it really counted, and we also have a good record in playoffs historically speaking in the past 10 years. So idk it will be fun, but I think theleafs would win it if it came down to the playoffs.

Tie Domi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Guillemin

Buffalo will be in the final spot. Facing Jersey.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote