HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Farm Club Location Question

Old
03-13-2008, 07:03 PM
English Hab

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Farm Club Location Question

I wrote this question in a thread on the AHL board, however like most of this site, Our clubs board is always a hive of activity and in some other threads you can wait weeks until someone responds. So here it is......

my question to all is this, do you think that it is an unfair advantage for a franchise, if the Farm club and parent club are in the same city????

Obviously its not worked for Toronto - Yippee!!! however like always i revert to what i know and my studies; but in other sports having farm, reserve teams in the same city has been beneficial to the parent clubs, through development, joint coaching programs, team building, and an more comfortable environment for promoted players.

i'd love to hear peoples views on this... so as they say....

Discuss...........

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-13-2008 at 07:10 PM.
English Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Hab View Post
I wrote this question in a thread on the AHL board, however like most of this site, Our clubs board is always a hive of activity and in some other threads you can wait weeks until someone responds. So here it is......

my question to all is this, do you think that it is an unfair advantage for a franchise, if the Farm club and parent club are in the same city????

Obviously its not worked for Toronto - Yippee!!! however like always i revert to what i know and my studies; but in other sports having farm, reserve teams in the same city has been beneficial to the parent clubs, through development, joint coaching programs, team building, and an more comfortable environment for promoted players.

i'd love to hear peoples views on this... so as they say....

Discuss...........
Unfair advantage?? No, there is nothing unfair about choosing where you put your team... so I wouldn't call it an unfair advantage...

There are some advantages to it... mainly in that you can get last minute callups easier... and stuff like that... but i think in hockey since there are so many games and they are always in and out of town, that is pretty diminished, as are the opportunities for joint coaching, team building etc....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 07:10 PM
English Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Unfair advantage?? No, there is nothing unfair about choosing where you put your team... so I wouldn't call it an unfair advantage...

There are some advantages to it... mainly in that you can get last minute callups easier... and stuff like that... but i think in hockey since there are so many games and they are always in and out of town, that is pretty diminished, as are the opportunities for joint coaching, team building etc....
what i ment was unfair for other franchises.....not the Franchise that owns the farm and parent team...

Old
03-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
what i ment was unfair for other franchises.....not the Franchise that owns the farm and parent team...
it really wouldn't be unfair though IMO.... any team could choose to do it, and its not against any rules....

Its not the same as say in soccer when Ecuador used to play games at such a high altitude that it was unfair to the other countries... they didn't have the opportunity to practice at that high of an altitude and adjust their lungs to the thin air.

Old
03-13-2008, 07:17 PM
English Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
it really wouldn't be unfair though IMO.... any team could choose to do it, and its not against any rules....

Its not the same as say in soccer when Ecuador used to play games at such a high altitude that it was unfair to the other countries... they didn't have the opportunity to practice at that high of an altitude and adjust their lungs to the thin air.
You'll find with such geographical issues that teams will leave earlier to train for several days, prior to the official game, for this exact reason. I don't know why but it just always wound me up that the Leafs had their farm team in the same city as them. Morning skates, preseason, like you said callups. All of these things become easier for a club to do. Just intrigues me i guess - and winds my up. hahaha

Old
03-13-2008, 07:23 PM
David_99

Quote:
You'll find with such geographical issues that teams will leave earlier to train for several days, prior to the official game, for this exact reason. I don't know why but it just always wound me up that the Leafs had their farm team in the same city as them. Morning skates, preseason, like you said callups. All of these things become easier for a club to do. Just intrigues me i guess - and winds my up. hahaha
A lot of good it did them, too.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Yeah but if you look at Ecuador's home vs Road record we see that the difference is significant.... FIFA felt it was enough of an unfair advantage to force them to play games below a certain altitude.... A few days training there really doesn't prepare you the same way as someone who has trained there for years....

I think though that Farm clubs are so seperate from the big club for most of the year that the effect of the leafs having the marlies so close is negligible at best....

Money wise i'm sure it saves them some, but player development wise, i don't think its a big deal.