HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Old
03-29-2017, 12:57 AM
nhlfan9191

vCash: 500
Habs fan here. Just want to say as someone who witnessed Price's amazing season in 15, this is one helluva season that Bob is having. I always get excited when I see goaltenders playing out of their mind and I hope Bob can steal the Hart from one of the forwards because he deserves it.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2017, 07:53 AM
DarkandStormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

And no, Chicago's Cup win was not the same as a team that played an entire 82 game schedule. You deal with different wear and tear, different injuries, etc. Winning a half marathon isn't anything like winning a full one.
....psssttt....everyone was running a half marathon....

DarkandStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2017, 07:58 AM
Double-Shift Lasse
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandStormy View Post
He's allowed that all the trophies, team and individual, earned in that season are tainted. Seems a pretty consistent point of view that this comment doesn't work to change.

Old
03-29-2017, 09:20 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandStormy View Post
Don't even try to reason...

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2017, 09:40 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Anecdotal evidence suggests that Bob has the heaviest workload out of all of the top candidates. So I ran the #s. People probably want something more conclusive but even 1 shot average more a game over approx. 60 games is a good indicator of the difference in the strength of a teams defensive support. In addition, the higher the shot number, the higher the quality of shots is a safe assumption to make.

Shots/60 minutes

Bob 30.25
Dubi 29.30
Price 29.21
Holtby 27.50

In addition, the Metorpolitan division has highest goals for by a wide margin, further evidence to stronger offensive threats faced on the nightly, on average.

Just some food for thought, his GAA and SVP are obvious and impressive, but when you look deeper those stats are amplified.
I don't trust the first bolded point, I think we need to use shot location charts to check it.

The second point I agree with, and I'm surprised it hasn't come up more. The top offenses are in the division - it's supposed to be a goalie nightmare.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2017, 01:36 PM
WubbaLubbaDubDub

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I don't trust the first bolded point, I think we need to use shot location charts to check it.

The second point I agree with, and I'm surprised it hasn't come up more. The top offenses are in the division - it's supposed to be a goalie nightmare.
I think a lot of times our shots against numbers are somewhat inflated. The jackets seem to do a decent job of forcing shots from low danger areas. Which I'd let Bob take all day every day while doing a good job at keeping high risk shots to a minimum which also shows in the low blocked shots total. No need to block a shot from a low danger area if you know Bob is going to save it if he can see it.

When players go down to block a shot they're blocking the goalie from being able to see the puck, if only for a split second. But that's more than enough if it gets through or deflects off the defender.

WubbaLubbaDubDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 01:23 AM
Cyclones Rock

Holtby got blown out last night vs. Arizona. He gave up 6 goals.

I think that it's all over but the shouting for the Vezina.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 01:28 AM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Holtby got blown out last night vs. Arizona. He gave up 6 goals.

I think that it's all over but the shouting for the Vezina.
Yup. Knocked him down to a .923 sv%, well behind Bob's .935 sv%. It's Bob's trophy by a mile.

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 07:26 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

vCash: 50
Does everyone think that Bob gets the start in the next two against WAS and PIT?

Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 07:34 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Does everyone think that Bob gets the start in the next two against WAS and PIT?
I think so.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:10 AM
PanarinDangles9

Quote:
Why wouldn't he?

PanarinDangles9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 12:09 PM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

Quote:
Would assume so since we are in a battle for home ice. I wish we had that wrapped so the Pens wouldn't get another look at Bob until playoff game one.

MoeBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Kev22

Quote:
I think that Bob will play 3 of the last 5 games. He'll play against Washington, Pittsburgh and Toronto and Korpi will play against Winnipeg and Philadelphia. I think the strategy should be two fold. One it keeps Bob sharp against playoff competition and two, it gives him a bit of rest before the playoff run begins.

Kev22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 01:22 PM
WubbaLubbaDubDub

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
I think that Bob will play 3 of the last 5 games. He'll play against Washington, Pittsburgh and Toronto and Korpi will play against Winnipeg and Philadelphia. I think the strategy should be two fold. One it keeps Bob sharp against playoff competition and two, it gives him a bit of rest before the playoff run begins.
My thoughts exactly

WubbaLubbaDubDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 02:35 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Don't even try to reason...
Ahh Nordique.... You never fail to disappoint. i wasn't comparing goalies from that season, I was comparing Bob's resume that season against other goal tenders that have won the trophy in the modern era. That really easy distinction seems lost on most. It should be easy to understand, even if you don't agree with it. He wasn't debating the same thing. DSL seemed to notice that. Objectivity to fans seems to be impossible to ask for, it's one of the reasons I try (don't always succeed) in getting to close to our players.

I can't think of an argument that someone could make that could move my position. It's not being stubborn, I just can't find any evidence to change it. I try and always look at both sides of an argument. I've already conceded that if he wins it this season it will be well deserved. I like Bob, but I have some issues with past consistency (health and play) and that I feel we overpaid for him.

What I'm most curious to see now, with Bob, is the off season. The rest of the season was window dressing.

The rest of the team really isn't playing well enough to go far in the playoffs right now. We will be leaning heavily on Bob.

Last edited by blahblah: 04-02-2017 at 02:43 PM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2017, 05:52 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

Okay Bob.........looking forward to seeing you do that thing you do!!

The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 09:43 AM
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Guy View Post
Okay Bob.........looking forward to seeing you do that thing you do!!
Hopefully he returns to regular season form. He was bad last night, aside from one save on the breakaway

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 10:58 AM
major major

He wasn't good.

But I also can't stand this idea of "playoff Bob". We've got a sample size issue here. And as we saw in the World Cup, Bob does not generally wilt under pressure, quite the opposite.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:04 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Comments about 'playoffs Bob' are in multiple threads right now, but thought I'd post my reply here.

His playoff record is crap but I'm not as worried about him being a choker as others are here. He's handled himself fine on the international stage and I think playing for your country in a sudden-death game is probably at least as much, and likely more, pressure than any first-round playoff game.

I think the issue for him is that he is a 'groove' goalie. When he is in the groove, he can be a top 3 goalie in the league (sometimes top period). But when he gets out that groove, look out. It's like he's trying so hard to find his way back, that he starts overplaying shots, leading to him being out of position and questioning his angles.

I'm not passing the blame for him, but I hope the team as a whole learns from the results from the end of the regular season. As those losses started to pile up, you could see Bob's supreme confidence slowly fading. While the players might think they can just switch it on come playoff time, that is not something that seems to work for Bob.

I personally believe that if the playoffs had started after 72 games, rather than 82, Bob would have been fine. In other words, I don't think that Bob is going to always be bad in the playoffs, which is a good thing. Next year, the team can't take their foot off the gas and coast through the end of season after they clinch - they need to realize the importance of finishing strong and coming in with momentum and with Bob's confidence in full swing.

Old
04-21-2017, 02:44 PM
pete goegan

I posted this elsewhere, but it's worth being reminded that Bob is not alone in struggling in these playoffs:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...305_story.html

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

As expected, Bob nominated for Vezina. Holtby and Price are the other nominees.

Old
04-22-2017, 07:40 PM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

Quote:
As expected, Bob nominated for Vezina. Holtby and Price are the other nominees.
Interesting, but not surprising based on the last month, Dubnyk is not a finalist after many thought him the likely Vezina winner for much of the season.

MoeBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 05:26 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBartoli View Post
Interesting, but not surprising based on the last month, Dubnyk is not a finalist after many thought him the likely Vezina winner for much of the season.

Dub just crapped out a bit sooner.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 08:08 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I'm not happy with playoff Bob..... To be honest he's not good in the post season.... This time he went 4.2 goals against after 5 games, that folks is about as bad as it gets for a playoff series goalie...

I'm not saying trade him but if he can't reproduce in the playoffs what he does during the regular season what's the point???

Our playoff defense was not the best but of the 21 or so goals he gave up in five games I saw 12 that any top NHL goal tender could have stopped...

The CBJ needs another proven veteran goalie to push Bobrovsky....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 09:48 PM
We Want Two
Gameday Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'm not happy with playoff Bob..... To be honest he's not good in the post season.... This time he went 4.2 goals against after 5 games, that folks is about as bad as it gets for a playoff series goalie...

I'm not saying trade him but if he can't reproduce in the playoffs what he does during the regular season what's the point???

Our playoff defense was not the best but of the 21 or so goals he gave up in five games I saw 12 that any top NHL goal tender could have stopped...

The CBJ needs another proven veteran goalie to push Bobrovsky....
I'm not gonna lie, if we make the PO next year with Bob in net, I'm gonna be skeptical that he can get it done. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but PO Bob reminds me a lot of Mason towards the end where once one gets by him, an avalanche of goals follow.

If we make the PO's and Bob struggles again, no way can you resign him to a big time contract IMO. Either one of the kids needs to develop, or you get a suitable veteran and use Bob's salary to fill other needs and have a go of it. Bob would have to have some trade value.

We Want Two is offline   Reply With Quote