HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

L'il Marty St. Louis is a Diver.

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2004, 03:37 PM
joeminus

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
How about since his junior days sound to you?
Assuming that's true, and you've followed St. Louis ever since those 31 games he played in Hawkesbury a dozen years ago, you're not much of a scout. Martin St. Louis is about as far from a cherry-picker as you can get. This guy could easily have been a Selke candidate. He hasn't floated once since he arrived in Tampa. There's a reason St. Louis was on the Lightning's top penalty killing unit. I'll give you a hint: It's not because he's a cherry-picker.

Quote:
Now, Oh, c'mon admit it: You've never even heard of Martin St. Louis before he came over from Calgary, have you?

Not only that, you've only just heard about Theo Fleury havent' you?
Your holier-than-thou shtick is insufferable. You know that team in Calgary that St. Louis and Fleury both used to play for? I used to attend their games ... when they were based in Atlanta.

Your little "scouting report" on St. Louis is dead wrong, and the knowledgable hockey fans on this board know it. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Last edited by joeminus: 04-29-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old
04-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Donnie D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseeker
didnt he play for rimouski?
No, but thanks for playing.

Old
04-29-2004, 11:13 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
Assuming that's true, and you've followed St. Louis ever since those 31 games he played in Hawkesbury a dozen years ago, you're not much of a scout.
Whoa there feller, why don't you simmer down a bit.

First, you'll be relieved to know that I am not a scout. But I do have interest in young players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
There's a reason St. Louis was on the Lightning's top penalty killing unit. I'll give you a hint: It's not because he's a cherry-picker.
Well, Gretzky who's been known to cherry once in a while and even Paul Coffey also killed penalties...that doesn't neccessarily make them good defensive players...just means that they've got good speed.

Nothing changes. I saw what I saw. St. Louis is a diver and a cherry picker.

Having said that, I must say that he was a competitor since young in age. However, he was never as talented as Paul Kariya who scored something like 100 pts in 39 games for Maine Blackbears (going by memory here so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) although he was a finalist a few times for the Hobey Baker Trophy. Too bad that Kariya's career has been cut short (ie. never been the same)by that nasty cross check to his face by that puke Suter (I still maintain that Nagano gold was ours had this not happened!)...the same puke who also did a number on the Wayner in '91 Canada Cup!

Anyways, Congratulations on Lightning's win. Bitter pill to swallow but Montreal just never capitalized on the momentum they had built in games 2, 3 and 4. Thanks Saku...I just heard what you did since game #2. You really are an inspiration to us all!

Old
04-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Rschmitz

Wow you just won't quit will you? Did you even watch tonights game? St.Louis back checking, blocking shots, hitting?

Quote:
Settle down there, son...what's with this hyper active sensitivity?

Quote:
Whoa there feller, why don't you simmer down a bit.
Wow thats annoying, do you think everytime someone critisizes you they have some sort of tantrum? Maybe your expecting us to be upset; I don't get upset at idiots, I just try to educate them.

oops, settle down now

Old
04-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC
Wow you just won't quit will you? Did you even watch tonights game? St.Louis back checking, blocking shots, hitting?

Wow thats annoying, do you think everytime someone critisizes you they have some sort of tantrum? Maybe your expecting us to be upset; I don't get upset at idiots, I just try to educate them.

oops, settle down now

First of all Tampa fans, it's probably not a good idea to come posting at a time like this unless it is to console us. I never post on other boards, but even if I did I wouldn't after we just beat them (i.e. against boston), unless of course it was to say something very positive. It's just the classy thing to do in my mind.

Also, habs fans, its not a good idea to knock their players. The series is over. The best team won. All's fair in love and war. I don't think anything is to be gained by saying so and so on their team is this or that. Honestly, they have a good bunch of guys on that team and I can see them going a long way. Let's wish them well and move on. We have a lot to look forward to with our own team and much to discuss without bashing some other team.

Old
04-29-2004, 11:55 PM
ChrisF

Quote:
L'il Marty St. Louis is a Diver
in other words...

*ring... ring...*
"Hello?"
"Hi, is this Kettle?"
"Yeah, who's this?"
"This is Pot... You're Black!"
*click*

Old
04-29-2004, 11:58 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Speaking of hockey ignorance, how about a "Marty St.Louis is a Diver" comment to put things in perspective. If that kid really wanted to dive, he'd have picked one of the many muggings he had early in the game to augment your statement. This is almost as bad as the "Marty St.Louis is a cherry picker" comments. Give it a rest please.
Geez, cry us a river. He's going to win the Hart and you guys are moving on. Put your tissues away.

Old
04-30-2004, 01:46 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Foll577
in other words...

*ring... ring...*
"Hello?"
"Hi, is this Kettle?"
"Yeah, who's this?"
*click*

I hope you didn't send a lot of time thinking this one up. That was so lame.

Old
04-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

To knock Martin St. Louis in his Art Ross and likely Hart Trophy season as a cherry picker and diver is baffling. I'm neither a big fan of the player nor the Lightning, but come on now... St. Louis is the last player in these playoffs who should be facing criticism for effort, hard work or the results that come from the same.

Really now... it's upsetting to lose in the playoffs, of course. St. Louis scored in triple overtime last season against the Capitals to end their season, and while disappointed as a fan, I could hardly start trying to chop him down for simply answering the call in stellar fashion. This is one of the hardest-working players out there, hardly a perimeter player.

Old
04-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think we saw a very good series from St. Louis, but this is a pretty senseless debate. 93.2% of talented NHL players are not above going down to try to draw a penalty, and 99.4% are going to reach up and feel around their face in a desperate search for blood after they've been highsticked. 97.3% of the stars will yap at the ref regardless of whether a penalty is being called or not. It's all part of hockey, especially playoff hockey, where every little edge, however seemingly slight, could be the deciding factor in a game and even a season.

So what if Martin St. Louis did all thus stuff in this series? He's just the same as most other players in that respect. He hammed it up a bit on that one high stick, but we see that a dozen times a game in every game, so he's hardly alone. He did a bit of (very successful and strategically sound) cherry-picking in Game 2. What of it? It shouldn't hurt a TB fan to admit it at least happens, and it shouldn't be taken as any kind of slight on his MVP season or his character or his superb ability as a hockey player. Wayne Gretzky did those kinds of things with about sixteen gazillion times the frequency of St.Louis, and it doesn't make him anything other than a hockey god. Koivu has done the same things at various points in his life, and he's our own minor deity.

(statistics fabricated courtesy of my own head)

Old
04-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Foll577
in other words...

*ring... ring...*
"Hello?"
"Hi, is this Kettle?"
"Yeah, who's this?"
*click*
That's wonderful. So should we use the same logic with Bruins fans, who have Travis Green and Marty Lapointe? Both players embellish hits, especially Green.

Drake: I don't think St.Louis is a diver, but there have been at least two occasions where he's gone down quickly. Most players have done this at some point in their careers so it's not an issue in my opinion.

Added to that, the Habs did clutch and grab him in games three and four often enough to frustrate him into embellishing a hold here and there. He likely did deserve to draw the number of penalties that he did simply because of the clutching and grabbing he faced.

Old
04-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I don't think we saw a very good series from St. Louis, but this is a pretty senseless debate. 93.2% of talented NHL players are not above going down to try to draw a penalty, and 99.4% are going to reach up and feel around their face in a desperate search for blood after they've been highsticked. 97.3% of the stars will yap at the ref regardless of whether a penalty is being called or not. It's all part of hockey, especially playoff hockey, where every little edge, however seemingly slight, could be the deciding factor in a game and even a season.

So what if Martin St. Louis did all thus stuff in this series? He's just the same as most other players in that respect. He hammed it up a bit on that one high stick, but we see that a dozen times a game in every game, so he's hardly alone. He did a bit of (very successful and strategically sound) cherry-picking in Game 2. What of it? It shouldn't hurt a TB fan to admit it at least happens, and it shouldn't be taken as any kind of slight on his MVP season or his character or his superb ability as a hockey player. Wayne Gretzky did those kinds of things with about sixteen gazillion times the frequency of St.Louis, and it doesn't make him anything other than a hockey god. Koivu has done the same things at various points in his life, and he's our own minor deity.

(statistics fabricated courtesy of my own head)

Hes not Wayne Gretzky, he is Martin St.Louis; and he would never cherry pick or dive, im sorry but its that simple. This is the same kid who comes in every day before the game and looks at the lineup card to see if hes still on it. He takes nothing for granted and wants nothing less than to earn everything he gets, becuase thats what he has always done. I use to think that this was all Gospel, but after 4 years of watching him play hes done nothing but show me otherwise. So, i'll take my own observations over someone who has probably seen St. Louis play maybe 20 games total any day.

OT: Do you really think Gretzky would be anything more than "one of the guys" in todays NHL? Thats a very good question. Seriously, with all the grabbing and stick work; he would probably be as limp as Lemieux.

Old
04-30-2004, 04:24 PM
mcphee

TB Fanatic, cherry picker is a meaningless description. You want a guy in your system to capitalize on the lead pass and you have to be able to accelerate to get them. You also have to leave the zone early sometimes and he and #4 excel at this.It is good hockey,within TB's system so what the hell. If you want to say something bad, you can always find something. As for diving, he's no Bill Barber or Claude Lemieux, but he will do what he has to do. He doesn't flop over ghost contact, but if he feels a stick on him, he'll make sure the ref knows about it. That's just the way it is, some are worse than others. I believe all players are instructed that if you fell a stick high, make sure it's noticed. You don't have to have a seizure, but you make sure it's noticed. Like it or not, it happens. St.Louis is a good honest player, one of my favorite non Habs, but i'd be slow in the canonization process.

Old
04-30-2004, 04:24 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
That's wonderful. So should we use the same logic with Bruins fans, who have Travis Green and Marty Lapointe? Both players embellish hits, especially Green.
Are you callng Lapointe and Green divers?

I think I've seen couple of embellishments from PJ but not these two. I don't remember either of these two diving.

Old
04-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Are you callng Lapointe and Green divers?

I think I've seen couple of embellishments from PJ but not these two. I don't remember either of these two diving.
Lapointe dove on more than a few occasions in Detroit and has done so less frequently in Boston. He's always played the hard nosed, sometimes agitating role. He took a few dives in scrums after the whistle with Souray in Round One.

Green's infamous for his diving antics. He was one of the worst divers in the league during his time in Toronto. Again he dives less frequently in Boston, but he'll still dive to get under the opposition's skin. And I'm surprised you don't remember his antics during his Toronto days. He was worse than Corson and on par with Tucker.

Old
04-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Legolas

"OT: Do you really think Gretzky would be anything more than "one of the guys" in todays NHL? Thats a very good question. Seriously, with all the grabbing and stick work; he would probably be as limp as Lemieux."

Okay...okay...now I know you did not just write that...and you cannot possibly be thinking that St. Louis is better than Gretzky because I'm sorry to say that's what I thought you wrote when you said "He isn't Wayne Gretzky...he's Martin St. Louis"

I agree that a ton of players in the NHL embellish and it's unfortunately a regular part of the game and I think the previous post on that was excellent. This thread in general though is relatively useless imo.

Old
04-30-2004, 04:48 PM
Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I know he played college at UVM, the great state of Vermont, which I've often that we should annex.
Vermont? Come on, McPhee! Think bigger and better! Montana! No speed limits! Plus, think of all the room for your goats!

ACF

Old
04-30-2004, 05:00 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
Vermont? Come on, McPhee! Think bigger and better! Montana! No speed limits! Plus, think of all the room for your goats!

ACF
It's because I have a lot of friends all over the state who are happy to give me free beer when I visit. Plus my hero, Bill Lee lives there.

Old
04-30-2004, 05:21 PM
David

Quote:
OT: Do you really think Gretzky would be anything more than "one of the guys" in todays NHL? Thats a very good question. Seriously, with all the grabbing and stick work; he would probably be as limp as Lemieux.
Boy, you sure proved my point about Tampa fans with this one!!!

However, it is still good to see that young'uns like you are discovering the excitment that is hockey!

Take care.

Closed Thread