HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: FIFA World Cup expanding to 48 teams, expansion worth $1billion

Old
04-11-2017, 10:02 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred50 View Post
As it stands, Toronto does not have a stadium that meets current World Cup requirements:

- 40,000 minimum
- grass playing surface
- no temporary grandstands
Temporary grass has been done before. It's always been more of a P/L event decision then a technical obstacle. Hosting some World Cup games should make it easily worth the cost to install tempory real turf.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2017, 12:36 AM
Nino33

IMO the expanding of the number of teams is an absolutely horrible idea, and will only make the tournament less than it was

Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2017, 06:18 AM
bigred50

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Temporary grass has been done before. It's always been more of a P/L event decision then a technical obstacle. Hosting some World Cup games should make it easily worth the cost to install tempory real turf.

I believe last time they installed real turf at Rogers Centre it was for a short period of time. They didn't need to worry about prolonged sunlight, irrigation, airflow, drainage. They plopped the sod down for a couple days then tore it up.

Assuming all 10 games are in Toronto, I'd expect they'd need to keep the grass alive for at least two weeks. Something that would be next to impossible in the current Rogers Centre.

All I'm saying is, as things stand currently there is no stadium in Canada that meets the current World Cup hosting requirements.

So, either CONCACAF/Soccer Canada convinces FIFA to loosen their requirements, or Toronto or another city improves their current stadium infrastructure. Based on the current fiscal situation in large cities across Canada, I'm betting on the former.

bigred50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2017, 07:29 AM
Inkling
Same Old Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred50 View Post
Assuming all 10 games are in Toronto, I'd expect they'd need to keep the grass alive for at least two weeks. Something that would be next to impossible in the current Rogers Centre.
They certainly all won't be Toronto, but if they managed to do it in the Pontiac Silverdome in 1994, I'm sure they could do it in the Rogers Centre. BMO with temporary seating might still be the better option though.

I imagine that BC Place is a shoe-in. Toronto as a city will be a shoe-in for matches, but could be either the Rogers Centre or BMO. Apart from that there's no really good venue in Montreal, Edmonton is a good option and stadium, and Winnipeg is doable.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2017, 08:28 AM
cutchemist42

The thing about temp grass at Rogers is you gotta figure out how the Blue Jays make it work as it impacts them the most. Every CFL stadium could makedo with temp grass, but I've just heard it would make logisitics hard on the Jays.

At the same time, Canada's biggest city arguably doesnt really have a great stadium when compared to the rest of the country.

If I had to choose, I'd give Vancouver our marquee games. I've Canadian Voyageur fans that have argued that Vancouver turns out better for the NT than Toronto. (Not my opinion, just what you read lurking other forums)

I also didnt know FIFA didnt allow temp grandstands until reading a few posts up. That would require concessions from FIFA on some stadiums if you went with them. I just frankly think the BigO sucks, and dont really want to display it to the world.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2017, 08:31 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Is the new Roughriders stadium still going ahead? For some reason I thought it was stalled. But yeah, that's what I meant. No slight to Winnipeg intended. I only brought it up because you guys have a damn beautiful stadium. I just don't see the organizers wanting to go outside of the Big 3 (Toronto/Montréal/Vancouver) for such a major event.
Yeah, its actually been open for about a year now. They've probably had 6 university games and a few concerts I think. Roughriders didnt want to risk construction delays so give a really big timeframe for the move.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2017, 09:03 AM
jason2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I'm guessing BMO Field, actually. They packed 40,100 in there for the Centennial Classic and if they get creative with the north side temporary stands, might be able to fit a few thousand more. Rogers Centre only seats 47,000 for soccer, by comparison. Not sure where else is available. Investor's Group Field in Winnipeg is probably the nicest stadium in the country but is in... well... Winnipeg. McMahon and Commonwealth Stadiums look a bit run down, Lansdowne (TD Park) Stadium and Tim Hortons Field are too small, and is FIFA interested in the multipurpose bowl-type stadiums in Vancouver and Montréal? It wouldn't surprise me to see all 10 games in Toronto.
Td Stadium can be expanded to around 40,000 for special events however I think by 2024 I think massive expansion will have to happen maybe as high as 50,000 seat total.

jason2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 06:37 AM
Mathers

Whoever mentioned FIFA doesn't allow temporary stands obviously doesn't know what they're talking about.

Case in point: Corinthians Arena in Sao Paulo for 2014.

As long as those stadiums in Canada add grass for the duration of tournament, they're all good to go.

Have no doubt games will be split with Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver. I'm guessing a split of 4/3/3, or 5/3/2.

Mathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 02:15 PM
ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino33 View Post
IMO the expanding of the number of teams is an absolutely horrible idea, and will only make the tournament less than it was
Totally agree.

As a fan I will just wait until the tournament is whittled down to the final 16 anyway.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 02:17 PM
JohnnyBerts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Totally agree.

As a fan I will just wait until the tournament is whittled down to the final 16 anyway.
Same. I'll still only follow my team whereas before I would love to watch the whole tournament. 48 is too much. Fifa's getting greedy.

JohnnyBerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 01:08 PM
jason2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathers View Post
Whoever mentioned FIFA doesn't allow temporary stands obviously doesn't know what they're talking about.

Case in point: Corinthians Arena in Sao Paulo for 2014.

As long as those stadiums in Canada add grass for the duration of tournament, they're all good to go.

Have no doubt games will be split with Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver. I'm guessing a split of 4/3/3, or 5/3/2.
Soccer Canada has been impressed with Ottawa how they support international events world under 20/womens world cup etc so I think they will try and get atleast one game in Ottawa.

jason2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 07:54 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
The thing about temp grass at Rogers is you gotta figure out how the Blue Jays make it work as it impacts them the most. Every CFL stadium could makedo with temp grass, but I've just heard it would make logisitics hard on the Jays.

At the same time, Canada's biggest city arguably doesnt really have a great stadium when compared to the rest of the country.

If I had to choose, I'd give Vancouver our marquee games. I've Canadian Voyageur fans that have argued that Vancouver turns out better for the NT than Toronto. (Not my opinion, just what you read lurking other forums)

I also didnt know FIFA didnt allow temp grandstands until reading a few posts up. That would require concessions from FIFA on some stadiums if you went with them. I just frankly think the BigO sucks, and dont really want to display it to the world.
It would not surprise me. Toronto's loyalties are more divided.

Italy and Portugal games would be wild here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Yeah, its actually been open for about a year now. They've probably had 6 university games and a few concerts I think. Roughriders didnt want to risk construction delays so give a really big timeframe for the move.
Oh **** really? Last news I heard, it was on the drawing board and now its built?!? Looks very nice, indeed.

htpwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 08:24 PM
jigglysquishy

There's been one university game and zero concerts, but yes it's open.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote