HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2008 Draft Talk Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I can see guys like Dandenault being traded for a draft pick in the off season...I'd be surprised if nobody was interested given he won a cup in Detroit.
And he'll be in his final year of contract...we can surely get a 5th or something like that.

Old
03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
I can see guys like Dandenault being traded for a draft pick in the off season...I'd be surprised if nobody was interested given he won a cup in Detroit.
I don't think there's much of a market for Dandenault. Given that he's a spare part and an expensive one, Gainey would have traded him for a couple rolls of tape at the deadline if there was any interest.

Old
03-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I don't think there's much of a market for Dandenault. Given that he's a spare part and an expensive one, Gainey would have traded him for a couple rolls of tape at the deadline if there was any interest.
We have more depth than many teams around the league so I wouldn't be surprised to see a team giving a little something for a guy like Dandy. On another team, he would be a regular for sure. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a team like Detroit interested to have him back.

Old
03-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
We have more depth than many teams around the league so I wouldn't be surprised to see a team giving a little something for a guy like Dandy. On another team, he would be a regular for sure. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a team like Detroit interested to have him back.
It's still 1.7 million for a 7th (or 8th) defenceman or a 13th (or 14th) forward. Cullimore is more or less comparable to Dandenault, and he got bought out. Not even re-entry waivers. He has the same Cup experience, and he even proved he could play a regular shift with Florida this year, but after the buyout.

There's no trade market for Dandenault unless the Habs take back salary.

Old
03-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
It's still 1.7 million for a 7th (or 8th) defenceman or a 13th (or 14th) forward. Cullimore is more or less comparable to Dandenault, and he got bought out. Not even re-entry waivers. He has the same Cup experience, and he even proved he could play a regular shift with Florida this year, but after the buyout.

There's no trade market for Dandenault unless the Habs take back salary.
Well, in Cullimore case, that was part of the deal for Samsonov, he had to be bought out, same for Salmelainen I think.

And if we manage to get a pick, even a low one for Dandy, go for it ! Timmins can potentially draft a very decent prospect with every pick he has anyway... And Dandy, wow, how utterly useless has he become...

Old
03-14-2008, 08:55 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Well, in Cullimore case, that was part of the deal for Samsonov, he had to be bought out, same for Salmelainen I think.
He didn't have to be bought-out, it was Gainey's decision. And at the time, the right one.

However, that is one of the worst trades in recent memory for Mr. Bob Gainey. He apparently pressed Dave Tallon for days about how adding Salmalanien to the deal.. Dave Tallon said in an interview that "Salmalanein was a player that Gainey pushed hard to acquire".. It seems as if Tallon only moved Salmo because he though Sammy could be a Top-Line player again.

And then Gainey just.. bought him out. It made no sense, whatsoever.

Then he signed Smoke and Kostopolous, who don't even play every night. At least Salmo would of brought some speed, skill, 1.3M cheaper and some minor scoring ability.

Old
03-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
He didn't have to be bought-out, it was Gainey's decision. And at the time, the right one.

However, that is one of the worst trades in recent memory for Mr. Bob Gainey. He apparently pressed Dave Tallon for days about how adding Salmalanien to the deal.. Dave Tallon said in an interview that "Salmalanein was a player that Gainey pushed hard to acquire".. It seems as if Tallon only moved Salmo because he though Sammy could be a Top-Line player again.

And then Gainey just.. bought him out. It made no sense, whatsoever.

Then he signed Smoke and Kostopolous, who don't even play every night. At least Salmo would of brought some speed, skill, 1.3M cheaper and some minor scoring ability.
He's 5'9" and has 18 points in 70 career NHL games, I doubt Gainey pushed for him it was basically salary dump for salary dump.

Old
03-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
He apparently pressed Dave Tallon for days about how adding Salmalanien to the deal.. Dave Tallon said in an interview that "Salmalanein was a player that Gainey pushed hard to acquire".. It seems as if Tallon only moved Salmo because he though Sammy could be a Top-Line player again.
I'm guessing there's something lost in the translation here. Maybe Tallon was just trying to be a good guy and speak highly of Salmalainen?

Anyway, back to the draft. Have any of you seen Marc Barberio play recently? I caught bits of some Moncton games earlier this year, he looked promising. I liked his calmness with the puck, his vision, and his positioning one on one (angling forwards out of the play). Thoughts?

Old
03-14-2008, 10:42 AM
AH

Dandenault will be bought out. His cap hit for the buyout will be 575K for two years.

Might as well open up a roster spot for a youngster at $600K instead of keeping a disgruntled vet around at his full salary. Also, out of respect for the dude, just buy him out.

Old
03-14-2008, 10:57 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
We got rid of Michael Leighton at the draft for a seventh. Some team may make a play for Dandy.

Old
03-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I'm guessing there's something lost in the translation here. Maybe Tallon was just trying to be a good guy and speak highly of Salmalainen?

Anyway, back to the draft. Have any of you seen Marc Barberio play recently? I caught bits of some Moncton games earlier this year, he looked promising. I liked his calmness with the puck, his vision, and his positioning one on one (angling forwards out of the play). Thoughts?
I have seen almost all his home games this year. Very mature for his age, strong work ethic and very good hockey sense at both ends. He's really improved at the point on the PP as he now has a nice one timer. Despite his size he is not a big bruiser defensively but he's very hard to beat 1 on 1. He's ben dynamite on shootouts like Letang, showing very good hands. I think his foot speed might keep him out of the 1st round but he should go very early 2nd.

Old
03-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
We got rid of Michael Leighton at the draft for a seventh. Some team may make a play for Dandy.
That should be plan A...but I think he needs to go as he won;'t be too happy if they bring him back.

Old
03-14-2008, 11:25 AM
AH

Quote:
True, but that price tag ...

Old
03-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Leighton is an excellent AHL starter, and the Canes needed one. His value is higher than Dandenault at this point.

Old
03-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Quote:
I have seen almost all his home games this year. Very mature for his age, strong work ethic and very good hockey sense at both ends. He's really improved at the point on the PP as he now has a nice one timer. Despite his size he is not a big bruiser defensively but he's very hard to beat 1 on 1. He's ben dynamite on shootouts like Letang, showing very good hands. I think his foot speed might keep him out of the 1st round but he should go very early 2nd.
I'm think he'd be a nice hometown pick up.

Old
03-15-2008, 06:08 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Stephane leroux(rds) was on the habs pre-game show and said the habs scout really like danick paquette /// he said he's a chris neil/claude lemieux type of players

Old
03-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Stephane leroux(rds) was on the habs pre-game show and said the habs scout really like danick paquette /// he said he's a chris neil/claude lemieux type of players
And Norman Flynn was on Team 990 today saying that the Habs should be looking at Paquette as well saying that he's like a Chris Neil.

I'm not against it obviously but I wouldn't pick him with our first 2 picks. Maybe 3rd round. Needs a lot of work to do with his skating.

Old
03-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Dandenault will be bought out. His cap hit for the buyout will be 575K for two years.

Might as well open up a roster spot for a youngster at $600K instead of keeping a disgruntled vet around at his full salary. Also, out of respect for the dude, just buy him out.
I think the respect thing is important too. The guy can still play somewhere. As a UFA/PTO, he'll get a job. Just not at 1.7 million.

Old
03-15-2008, 11:40 PM
MRocketR

OT - Nikita Filatov

This is the first compilation done of him since it's very difficult to find clips of this player who's expected to be ranked #3 in the 2008 draft. That beginning are the very few glimps of him without his mask on.
Anyway, I thought I'd just share and would like to hear some opinions on this kid.
Do you think he will be big like Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Svitov or Cherepanov (perhaps)?
Thanks and enjoy.

Old
03-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
He seem to have good hands and willing to go to the net. I love the song nicely done!

Old
03-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Iwishihadacup

he'S too good to ba a leaf

Old
03-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Namso

i dont know how good he is, but he has no where near the hype that kovalchuk and ovechkin had...

Old
03-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Munchinator

I can't see him being anywhere near an Ovechkin. He's skilled and I can see him having a successful career in the NHL, if he doesn't stay in Russia.

Old
03-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Rapmaster

I don't know his talent since I didn't saw him play but I could see him slip in the draft, since he is playing in Russia (no agreement) and he isn't as big as Ovechkin and Malkin (listed as 6' and 170 lbs)

Old
03-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Belarus

I hope Isles would get him with 5th or Stamkos with 1st

Closed Thread