HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ideas of why we cant beat Ottawa.

Old
03-14-2008, 11:20 AM
dutchy29

vCash: 500
Ideas of why we cant beat Ottawa.

I know we played a pretty good game vs. Ottawa, Gerber played well and for once in the last 6 games we didnt get outshot, but what I keep noticing is we just aren't playing gritty enough against Ottawa's top line, I saw ample opportunities in the first period for players to Hit Spezza or Heatly when they went into the corners, instead we collapsed back towards the net. I think the collapsing D works well against most teams but when we play teams with bonifide snipers and playmakers I think we have to play stonger 1 on 1.
I don't know I can handle Spezza scoring on us every night a lot better if were at least roughing him up a bit.
What do you think, more grit?

Last edited by dutchy29: 03-14-2008 at 02:53 PM.
dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
The main reason is that they normally score more goals than our team does.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
dont hate them enough
to much respect for their stars, which means we give them to much time and space and when you give a good player time and space, your cooked!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
I know we played a pretty good game vs. Ottawa, Gerber played well and for once in the last 6 games we didnt get outshot, but what I keep noticing is we just aren't playing gritty enough against Ottawa's top line, I saw ample opportunities in the first period for players to Hit Spezza or Heatly when they went into the corners, instead we collapsed back towards the net. I think the collapsing D works well against most teams but when we play teams with bonifide snipers and playmakers I think we have to play stonger 1 on 1.
I don't know I can handle Spezza scoring on us every night a lot better if were at least roughing him up a bit.
We respect them too much and give them too much space to operate. They are basically a 1 line offense so play mean and nasty against that line instead of backing into our goalie.

If we had played like Tuesday we beat them easy.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

We are simply not ready to fight to win the game.Everytime we play them we just seem scared to play against them.Too much respect perhaps..

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:31 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
The main reason is that they normally score more goals than our team does.
Wow, that was insightful, I'm so glad you read my thread.

Old
03-14-2008, 11:49 AM

#1 - The Habs show too much respect to the Sens

#2 - They're best players outplay our best players

#3 - The Sens are alot more battle tested then the Habs

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:49 AM
heatley_fan*

They probably realize that if they try to cheapshot them, they will themselves be cheapshotted, likely in a worse manner

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Licou

Maybe they are just the superior team

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:53 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

As the original poster said we simply haven't been gritty enough. Komisarek should be laying their top line out and our only guy throwing hits for forwards shouldn't be Andrei Kostitsyn. It was terrible having to see Koivu almost having to fight Schubert because of the little heart that was shown by our team all game.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Fozz

I think the coaching philosophy has to change against the Sens. Carbonneau has his men withdraw and pull back to much and to fast. Playing a waiting game against this team will only get you beat. The games I've seen Ottawa struggle (ie against Washington) is when the opponent puts as much offensive pressure as possible on their D, with relentless & aggressive fore-check. It worked for a while at the beginning of the 2nd period but didn't last long enough.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
As the original poster said we simply haven't been gritty enough. Komisarek should be laying their top line out and our only guy throwing hits for forwards shouldn't be Andrei Kostitsyn. It was terrible having to see Koivu almost having to fight Schubert because of the little heart that was shown by our team all game.
Agreed.
There were at least 10 chances to hit an already fragile Alfredsson last night where our player would just stop or skate by him. We should have been all over this guy and make him pay for not staying out of the lineup long enough!

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:59 AM
dzd ncnfzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
dont hate them enough
to much respect for their stars, which means we give them to much time and space and when you give a good player time and space, your cooked!
Indeed, just like it was reported Carbo said in news conference, not enough hate. Come on, have to give her ****, and go all out, then I think we can give Ottawa a good scare, or actually win!!

dzd ncnfzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:59 AM
CrewkHead

Yesterday was just a wierd game...Habs didn't play so bad and Ottawa wasn't daminating IMO.

Next game will be a win

CrewkHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzd ncnfzd View Post
Indeed, just like it was reported Carbo said in news conference, not enough hate. Come on, have to give her ****, and go all out, then I think we can give Ottawa a good scare, or actually win!!
I agree with that analysis.If we can beat Brodeur and the Devils, we can beat Ottawa. Our kids will learn that its all in their heads and surpass themselves one day soon.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:06 PM
905tech
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
#1 - The Habs show too much respect to the Sens

#2 - Their best players outplay our best players

#3 - The Sens are alot more battle tested than the Habs
This sums it up, imo.

905tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:07 PM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Agreed.
There were at least 10 chances to hit an already fragile Alfredsson last night where our player would just stop or skate by him. We should have been all over this guy and make him pay for not staying out of the lineup long enough!
Chris Nilan would have came out in the first two minutes, nailed Alfy, Ottawa would have got all flustered and the Habs would have won the game.
Alfy+Spezza =

Old
03-14-2008, 12:08 PM
The n00b King *

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky4681 View Post
They probably realize that if they try to cheapshot them, they will themselves be cheapshotted, likely in a worse manner
Fail?

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:11 PM
habs24

The Habs are too soft. They cannot play a hate filled game against any team or they will get beat on.

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:16 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I think the coaching philosophy has to change against the Sens. Carbonneau has his men withdraw and pull back to much and to fast. Playing a waiting game against this team will only get you beat. The games I've seen Ottawa struggle (ie against Washington) is when the opponent puts as much offensive pressure as possible on their D, with relentless & aggressive fore-check. It worked for a while at the beginning of the 2nd period but didn't last long enough.
See, for example, 2007 Stanley Cup Finals: Ducks vs. Senators.

DG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:19 PM
oli500

Quote:
Today 08:53 AM
Quote:
As the original poster said we simply haven't been gritty enough. Komisarek should be laying their top line out and our only guy throwing hits for forwards shouldn't be Andrei Kostitsyn. It was terrible having to see Koivu almost having to fight Schubert because of the little heart that was shown by our team all game
Experience is key in these match up. some people forget how much more experience the sens have as a group. This is really the first year that the habs are introducing the young talent to there everyday line up. The habs have had a awsome year and have past expectations but still have alot to learn as a group. The sens did not become this dominant force overnight. It took some time for them to be able to play at this level. I think when are young players will gain a bit more experience they will not back down to anyone. A couple of playoff rounds would help. The talent is there for the habs but they still need to grow as a group and when that happens they will be more agresive vs teams like ottawa and the good teams out west.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:37 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
Experience is key in these match up. some people forget how much more experience the sens have as a group. This is really the first year that the habs are introducing the young talent to there everyday line up. The habs have had a awsome year and have past expectations but still have alot to learn as a group. The sens did not become this dominant force overnight. It took some time for them to be able to play at this level. I think when are young players will gain a bit more experience they will not back down to anyone. A couple of playoff rounds would help. The talent is there for the habs but they still need to grow as a group and when that happens they will be more agresive vs teams like ottawa and the good teams out west.
I think you're right... Pittsburgh played Ottawa very evenly in the regular season last year, but got decimated in the first round. The Sens had to go through their growing pains before they became intimidating like that... the Habs are VERY young and with experience, they will be more of a force.

Personally, I think you guys could stand to add some size up front. Unfortunately, by the new rules, the Habs should excel... but in the playoffs, they don't call the game like that anymore (see Sabres '07 and even again the Sens in the finals).

DG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:48 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
Maybe they are just the superior team

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
What?

Better offensive players - check
Better offensive depth - check
Better overall experience - check
Better grit- check....

I don't know what you guys think, but when the sens step up their game (which they fricking do every time they play us), they are the better team. Of course when our young guys become more experienced, that will change, but for now, I think it's a given that the sens have a better overall team than us...

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 02:31 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote