HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Why can't goalies wear the "C" or "A"

Old
03-12-2008, 05:55 PM
ashleesimpson<3*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
Why can't goalies wear the "C" or "A"

Why can't we be captains or assistant captains?

ashleesimpson<3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Sportacus
:)

I'm not sure on the specific decision, but I know that if there is a 'C' or an 'A' on the ice for your team, they have to be the ones to talk to the refs. That would be hard every time for a goalie, imho.

03-12-2008, 06:00 PM
ashleesimpson<3*

Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportacus View Post
I'm not sure on the specific decision, but I know that if there is a 'C' or an 'A' on the ice for your team, they have to be the ones to talk to the refs. That would be hard every time for a goalie, imho.
Well it's been my experience that, at least in my league the refs dont bother talking to players and just go straight to the bench to talk to the coach.

Old
03-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Airborne Troll*

Quote:
Originally Posted by csn00b View Post
Why can't we be captains or assistant captains?
It's a really good question

I'm a goalie and it would be sick to wear a ''C''

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
petenik

because goalies are weird and the refs don't want to talk to them?

real reason is what the 2nd poster wrote...they can't be skating out to the time keepers bench every penalty to figure out the play and go and relay that to the bench.

petenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 09:56 PM
RobertKron

It would be an annoying waste of time for the goalie to have to ferry over to the bench and then to the ref every time the coach had something to say.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Nosebleed Section

Yeah goalies cant cross the their own blueline to talk to the refs.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Don't speak so soon.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

The main reason is because goalies have a limited view of all of the play so it would be hard for them to dispute or talk to the refs about something.

Oh and im pretty sure Brodeur was captain for the WorldStars International team a couple years ago.

Edit: yep he was:

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 01:36 AM
Stripes

2 minutes for Leaving The Crease.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Reckless Abandon*

Goalies can wear them, but they c an't do anything with them really, so there's no point.

Kevin Regan currently rocks an 'A' on UNH I believe.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshutout33 View Post
Goalies can wear them, but they c an't do anything with them really, so there's no point.

Kevin Regan currently rocks an 'A' on UNH I believe.
Yup, there's nothing in the rules (USAH) that says that a goalie can't wear a "C", he just can't act as a captain.

Quote:
(c) No goalkeepers shall be entitled to exercise the privileges of
Captain.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 12:28 PM
RedK

The reason is that goalies are not allowed to cross the center line, so that they cannot represent the team in discussions with the ref in their team's offensive zone. As such, they cannot execute the duties of a captain.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedK View Post
The reason is that goalies are not allowed to cross the center line, so that they cannot represent the team in discussions with the ref in their team's offensive zone. As such, they cannot execute the duties of a captain.
That holds no weight. If there is any kind of discussion with a ref, then play would be already stopped. Therefore it wouldn't be illegal to cross the center line. And it's only illegal to cross the center line if a goalie is making a play on the puck. Goalies cross the center line in the 2nd period if they are skating to the bench on a delayed penalty.

Please don't just make up reasons.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 07:21 AM
RedK

Harv - I didn't make up the reason. This is what the local referees association told me when I captaining my local beer league team. I ended up having a bench captain who wore the C on the ice, but I ran the team and made the lines. The bench captain's sole job was talking to the referees. Also, if you were to ask this question on places like goalieboard.com, you would find it is a common belief among goalies.

Please don't make up accusations.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Harv - I didn't make up the reason. This is what the local referees association told me when I captaining my local beer league team. I ended up having a bench captain who wore the C on the ice, but I ran the team and made the lines. The bench captain's sole job was talking to the referees. Also, if you were to ask this question on places like goalieboard.com, you would find it is a common belief among goalies.

You may not have made it up, but it's still wrong, regardless of who you say told you.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 01:21 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
because it's in the NHL rulebook.

No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain.

Rule 14, section D.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 04:27 PM
ashleesimpson<3*

Quote:

Your wrong either way, it'd make no sense if a goalie couldn't pass the red line (unless he's playing the puck) because otherwise in the 2nd period he couldn't get to his bench if the other teams gonna take a penalty.

Old
03-14-2008, 07:50 PM
sharkticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildebeest View Post
because it's in the NHL rulebook.

No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain.

Rule 14, section D.
Bingo. Reason being in the NHL, it's time consuming for a goalie to skate across the ice after a penalty or to discuss whatever with the refs or his team. I'm not making this up. This is the reason given by Drew Remenda & Randy Hahn (Sharks commentators) during a recent Sharks game when the questions was asked (they answer fan questions during intermission). There has been goalies who wore the C or A in the past, but they don't do it anymore.

My beer league does not allow this either for the same reason. However, we play with a running clock (20 minute periods) so this would take time out of actually playing.

sharkticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

they cant skate over and talk to the refs

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:47 PM
deanosaur

why are people talking about beer leagues in here?

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 01:27 AM
sharkticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
why are people talking about beer leagues in here?

Because the original poster asked why goalies can't be C's or A's. He never specified if he was referring to NHL/Pro or local leagues.

sharkticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Danglous

Goalies should be focusing on thier own personal game rather than getting involved and thrown off IMO

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
That holds no weight. If there is any kind of discussion with a ref, then play would be already stopped. Therefore it wouldn't be illegal to cross the center line. And it's only illegal to cross the center line if a goalie is making a play on the puck. Goalies cross the center line in the 2nd period if they are skating to the bench on a delayed penalty.

You're right that the Ineligible Player penalty (for playing the puck over centre) doesn't apply, but the Leaving The Crease rule does. Goaltenders aren't even allowed to go to their benches to get water, new sticks, etc, without the referee's permission, and it's generally the captain's responsibility to ask the referee for that permission.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 10:29 AM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post

This is actually the truth of the matter. Even during a stoppage of play, the goalie may only cross the center line with permission from the Ref. One reason would be an equipemnt issue or injury stoppage in hte second period. A sticler for the rules could call a 2 minute minor on any goalie who does so with out requesting permission.

This rule regarding a goalie crossing center ice(USA HOCKEY) is intended to prevent fights from escalating in the numbers of combatants. The only exception to this rule is a delayed penalty in hte second period where a goalie may attemt to get to his/her bench for the extra attacker.

Last edited by MikeD: 03-16-2008 at 10:35 AM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote