HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Why can't goalies wear the "C" or "A"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-12-2008, 05:55 PM
  #1
ashleesimpson<3*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,955
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
Why can't goalies wear the "C" or "A"

Why can't we be captains or assistant captains?

ashleesimpson<3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 05:58 PM
  #2
Sportacus
:)
 
Sportacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,682
vCash: 500
I'm not sure on the specific decision, but I know that if there is a 'C' or an 'A' on the ice for your team, they have to be the ones to talk to the refs. That would be hard every time for a goalie, imho.

__________________
Based on Japanese History
Sportacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 06:00 PM
  #3
ashleesimpson<3*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,955
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportacus View Post
I'm not sure on the specific decision, but I know that if there is a 'C' or an 'A' on the ice for your team, they have to be the ones to talk to the refs. That would be hard every time for a goalie, imho.
Well it's been my experience that, at least in my league the refs dont bother talking to players and just go straight to the bench to talk to the coach.

ashleesimpson<3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 07:35 PM
  #4
Airborne Troll*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by csn00b View Post
Why can't we be captains or assistant captains?
It's a really good question

I'm a goalie and it would be sick to wear a ''C''

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
  #5
petenik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: parts unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
because goalies are weird and the refs don't want to talk to them?

real reason is what the 2nd poster wrote...they can't be skating out to the time keepers bench every penalty to figure out the play and go and relay that to the bench.

petenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 09:56 PM
  #6
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,774
vCash: 500
It would be an annoying waste of time for the goalie to have to ferry over to the bench and then to the ref every time the coach had something to say.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 10:31 PM
  #7
Nosebleed Section
 
Nosebleed Section's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
Yeah goalies cant cross the their own blueline to talk to the refs.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 10:32 PM
  #8
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 5,702
vCash: 500
Don't speak so soon.


Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 10:45 PM
  #9
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever
 
Henrique Iglesias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ-NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 500
The main reason is because goalies have a limited view of all of the play so it would be hard for them to dispute or talk to the refs about something.


Oh and im pretty sure Brodeur was captain for the WorldStars International team a couple years ago.

Edit: yep he was:


Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 01:36 AM
  #10
Stripes
 
Stripes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
2 minutes for Leaving The Crease.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:20 AM
  #11
Reckless Abandon*
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Goalies can wear them, but they c an't do anything with them really, so there's no point.

Kevin Regan currently rocks an 'A' on UNH I believe.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:41 AM
  #12
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshutout33 View Post
Goalies can wear them, but they c an't do anything with them really, so there's no point.

Kevin Regan currently rocks an 'A' on UNH I believe.
Yup, there's nothing in the rules (USAH) that says that a goalie can't wear a "C", he just can't act as a captain.

Quote:
(c) No goalkeepers shall be entitled to exercise the privileges of
Captain.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 12:28 PM
  #13
RedK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
The reason is that goalies are not allowed to cross the center line, so that they cannot represent the team in discussions with the ref in their team's offensive zone. As such, they cannot execute the duties of a captain.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 12:53 PM
  #14
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 5,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedK View Post
The reason is that goalies are not allowed to cross the center line, so that they cannot represent the team in discussions with the ref in their team's offensive zone. As such, they cannot execute the duties of a captain.
That holds no weight. If there is any kind of discussion with a ref, then play would be already stopped. Therefore it wouldn't be illegal to cross the center line. And it's only illegal to cross the center line if a goalie is making a play on the puck. Goalies cross the center line in the 2nd period if they are skating to the bench on a delayed penalty.

Please don't just make up reasons.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 07:21 AM
  #15
RedK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Harv - I didn't make up the reason. This is what the local referees association told me when I captaining my local beer league team. I ended up having a bench captain who wore the C on the ice, but I ran the team and made the lines. The bench captain's sole job was talking to the referees. Also, if you were to ask this question on places like goalieboard.com, you would find it is a common belief among goalies.

Please don't make up accusations.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:06 AM
  #16
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedK View Post
Harv - I didn't make up the reason. This is what the local referees association told me when I captaining my local beer league team. I ended up having a bench captain who wore the C on the ice, but I ran the team and made the lines. The bench captain's sole job was talking to the referees. Also, if you were to ask this question on places like goalieboard.com, you would find it is a common belief among goalies.

Please don't make up accusations.
You may not have made it up, but it's still wrong, regardless of who you say told you.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 01:21 PM
  #17
wildebeest
 
wildebeest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alton, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
because it's in the NHL rulebook.

No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain.

Rule 14, section D.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 04:27 PM
  #18
ashleesimpson<3*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,955
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedK View Post
Harv - I didn't make up the reason. This is what the local referees association told me when I captaining my local beer league team. I ended up having a bench captain who wore the C on the ice, but I ran the team and made the lines. The bench captain's sole job was talking to the referees. Also, if you were to ask this question on places like goalieboard.com, you would find it is a common belief among goalies.

Please don't make up accusations.
Your wrong either way, it'd make no sense if a goalie couldn't pass the red line (unless he's playing the puck) because otherwise in the 2nd period he couldn't get to his bench if the other teams gonna take a penalty.

ashleesimpson<3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 07:50 PM
  #19
sharkticon
Registered User
 
sharkticon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Teal Town, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildebeest View Post
because it's in the NHL rulebook.

No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain.

Rule 14, section D.
Bingo. Reason being in the NHL, it's time consuming for a goalie to skate across the ice after a penalty or to discuss whatever with the refs or his team. I'm not making this up. This is the reason given by Drew Remenda & Randy Hahn (Sharks commentators) during a recent Sharks game when the questions was asked (they answer fan questions during intermission). There has been goalies who wore the C or A in the past, but they don't do it anymore.

My beer league does not allow this either for the same reason. However, we play with a running clock (20 minute periods) so this would take time out of actually playing.

sharkticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 09:43 PM
  #20
Pittsburgh Proud
Registered User
 
Pittsburgh Proud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,878
vCash: 500
they cant skate over and talk to the refs

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:47 PM
  #21
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
why are people talking about beer leagues in here?

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 01:27 AM
  #22
sharkticon
Registered User
 
sharkticon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Teal Town, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
why are people talking about beer leagues in here?

Because the original poster asked why goalies can't be C's or A's. He never specified if he was referring to NHL/Pro or local leagues.

sharkticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 08:13 AM
  #23
Danglous
Registered User
 
Danglous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Goalies should be focusing on thier own personal game rather than getting involved and thrown off IMO

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 12:14 AM
  #24
Stripes
 
Stripes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
That holds no weight. If there is any kind of discussion with a ref, then play would be already stopped. Therefore it wouldn't be illegal to cross the center line. And it's only illegal to cross the center line if a goalie is making a play on the puck. Goalies cross the center line in the 2nd period if they are skating to the bench on a delayed penalty.

Please don't just make up reasons.
You're right that the Ineligible Player penalty (for playing the puck over centre) doesn't apply, but the Leaving The Crease rule does. Goaltenders aren't even allowed to go to their benches to get water, new sticks, etc, without the referee's permission, and it's generally the captain's responsibility to ask the referee for that permission.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 10:29 AM
  #25
MikeD
Registered User
 
MikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
That holds no weight. If there is any kind of discussion with a ref, then play would be already stopped. Therefore it wouldn't be illegal to cross the center line. And it's only illegal to cross the center line if a goalie is making a play on the puck. Goalies cross the center line in the 2nd period if they are skating to the bench on a delayed penalty.

Please don't just make up reasons.
This is actually the truth of the matter. Even during a stoppage of play, the goalie may only cross the center line with permission from the Ref. One reason would be an equipemnt issue or injury stoppage in hte second period. A sticler for the rules could call a 2 minute minor on any goalie who does so with out requesting permission.

This rule regarding a goalie crossing center ice(USA HOCKEY) is intended to prevent fights from escalating in the numbers of combatants. The only exception to this rule is a delayed penalty in hte second period where a goalie may attemt to get to his/her bench for the extra attacker.


Last edited by MikeD: 03-16-2008 at 10:35 AM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.