HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ideas of why we cant beat Ottawa.

Old
03-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Rayne*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
What?

Better offensive players - check
Better offensive depth - check
Better overall experience - check
Better grit- check....

I don't know what you guys think, but when the sens step up their game (which they fricking do every time they play us), they are the better team. Of course when our young guys become more experienced, that will change, but for now, I think it's a given that the sens have a better overall team than us...
Senators and depth don't go together. They're a one line team that will falter in the playoffs.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Mysterion

Nah, we're four lines deep at the moment. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 02:55 PM
The n00b King *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa420 View Post
Nah, we're four lines deep at the moment. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Oh, okay. Thanks for coming out.

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Al Bundy*

I'll take a guess:

CFL Karma?

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 03:02 PM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Gerber View Post
I think you're right... Pittsburgh played Ottawa very evenly in the regular season last year, but got decimated in the first round. The Sens had to go through their growing pains before they became intimidating like that... the Habs are VERY young and with experience, they will be more of a force.

Personally, I think you guys could stand to add some size up front. Unfortunately, by the new rules, the Habs should excel... but in the playoffs, they don't call the game like that anymore (see Sabres '07 and even again the Sens in the finals).
Or even the Habs last night. Alot of Obstruction calls ignored by the Refs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Senators and depth don't go together. They're a one line team that will falter in the playoffs.
check

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-15-2008 at 07:39 PM.
dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 03:04 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen...

..for the first time concert...

SensFire!

Our D sucks, and you guys need to take advatage of that. Send two guys in. Play riskier.
When Ottawa's on their game, their forwards do a great job in their own end. That was the difference last night in the 1st half of the game when it was still in doubt. They supported the puck and took away space.

I don't know that they can always do that. Confidence shifts fast after a goal or two.

Ottawa has a nice matchup advantage in that they really don't have to be that careful up front. On D it's more crucial to them.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Licou

Quote:
Well, that's all fine and dandy but, they didn't falter against us for some reason...

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 03:13 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Maybe they are just the superior team
Exactly.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Dcptcn

Quote:
Ummmm... I don't know,

Heatley - Spezza - Robitaille ???
Stillman - Fisher - Alfredsson ???
Kelly - Vermette - Lapointe ????

That looks like depth to me. What other team could/would host Stillman - Fisher - Alfredsson as a second line?

Dcptcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Zorf

I also think that your D could use a little more size. Komisarek is a monster in every aspect of the defensive game, but he has to deal with the best players in the league every game, and that can wear a player down when he is alone to do the job. O'Byrne is a big guy too, but he needs time to develop into a true shut down player. It is a tricky balance. Montreal is geared to skate circles around their opponents, and big d-men don't help that, but, when you face a tight team (like the Sens were last night), a little more size could go a long way.

Don't get me wrong about Komisarek, he is one of the top d-men in the league. I am not trying to bash him at all. 29 other GMs dream about having him on their team.

Like most of the people above, in 2-3 years, the Habs (who are a good team now) will for sure be a great team. The youngsters you have now will have grown into their roles, developed their style of play, and gained valuable playoff experience. It is easy to see that this team you have will make the playoffs every year. They will be strong contenders, and they will get better every year. You clearly have a bright future ahead of you. Although it is frustrating right now, it will be worth it...even though I am personally hoping that it doesn't

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
What?

Better offensive players - check
Better offensive depth - check
Better overall experience - check
Better grit- check....

I don't know what you guys think, but when the sens step up their game (which they fricking do every time they play us), they are the better team. Of course when our young guys become more experienced, that will change, but for now, I think it's a given that the sens have a better overall team than us...
Agree. I can't think anyone would seriously try to argue the Habs are comparable "on paper." (Because they certainly aren't close on the ice.) Kind of funny how the Sens go into a little funk and suddenly everyone counts them out, yet they're still able to challenge for a top spot in the East.

As for the "one line team nonsense..." right. I have to laugh whenever I hear that one. Any team that can ice three of the top 10 forwards in the league on their first line still go with:

Vermette-Fisher-Stillman
McAmmond-Kelly-Neil
Schubert-Robitaille-Lapointe/Donovan/Foligno/McGrattan

and put those combinations together is certainly not lacking in depth. Not to mention guys that are almost ready in Bass and Hennessey. Plus, so many of their forwards are versatile and can be moved from either wing to centre and still be effective. Which is another measure of depth allowing them to cover for injuries.

And I have to laugh at guys like Michel Villeneuve trying to say that the Habs have better depth on D than the Sens. Even with Redden playing poorly, their d corps are one of the better ones in the league.

Phillips-Volenchkov (One of the best shut-down pairings in the league)
Redden-Meszaros (Solid combo even with Redden not playing as well as he can)
Richardson-Commodore (I'm not a big fan of Richardson, but he's doing the job. And Commodore is a solid guy, especially in the 3rd pairing slot.)

The only weakness this team has is maybe not enough grit and questionable goaltending. Especially with Neil out and McGrattan not playing, it would have been worthwhile for us to try and challenge them physically and make things difficult whenever they have the puck. Granted we're not really a team built for that, so that kind of limits our options, but if we're going power on power, they'll beat us 9 times out 10 because they are the better team.

Overall they are simply a better team than us. If we're not playing an aggressive style, capitalizing on chances and making it difficult for them to create anything offensively (playing physical and tight defensively) then they're going to keep winning games fairly handily because precisely of the fact that they have a better team in nearly all areas.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Better team or not the Habs didn't compete last night. The Sens were always 1st to the puck and willing to put their body on the line. The Habs played afraid and didn't give the 2nd effort.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Montreal Shadow

They play a similar style with great finess, speed and agility, they just play it better than us.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 04:24 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harf48 View Post
I also think that your D could use a little more size. Komisarek is a monster in every aspect of the defensive game, but he has to deal with the best players in the league every game, and that can wear a player down when he is alone to do the job. O'Byrne is a big guy too, but he needs time to develop into a true shut down player. It is a tricky balance. Montreal is geared to skate circles around their opponents, and big d-men don't help that, but, when you face a tight team (like the Sens were last night), a little more size could go a long way.

Don't get me wrong about Komisarek, he is one of the top d-men in the league. I am not trying to bash him at all. 29 other GMs dream about having him on their team.

Like most of the people above, in 2-3 years, the Habs (who are a good team now) will for sure be a great team. The youngsters you have now will have grown into their roles, developed their style of play, and gained valuable playoff experience. It is easy to see that this team you have will make the playoffs every year. They will be strong contenders, and they will get better every year. You clearly have a bright future ahead of you. Although it is frustrating right now, it will be worth it...even though I am personally hoping that it doesn't
Agreed with most of what you said, especially the PO experience, it shows now, I saw a lot of referies comments after last game but when we look at it all the Sens did is what's been OK in the last few weeks (and will probably be in the PO)... after getting some PO experience I believe too Habs will learn how it's played and adjust.

on a side note, I find it strange that you're all nice and everything suddenly, you're all here for our new avatar huh ? honestly...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Well, that's all fine and dandy but, they didn't falter against us for some reason...
They play a style similar to ours, but are better at it.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Licou

Quote:
They play a style similar to ours, but are better at it.
Yup...

But we'll be better in a few years... maybe even next year!

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 05:44 PM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Agree. I can't think anyone would seriously try to argue the Habs are comparable "on paper." (Because they certainly aren't close on the ice.) Kind of funny how the Sens go into a little funk and suddenly everyone counts them out, yet they're still able to challenge for a top spot in the East.

As for the "one line team nonsense..." right. I have to laugh whenever I hear that one. Any team that can ice three of the top 10 forwards in the league on their first line still go with:

Vermette-Fisher-Stillman
McAmmond-Kelly-Neil
Schubert-Robitaille-Lapointe/Donovan/Foligno/McGrattan

and put those combinations together is certainly not lacking in depth. Not to mention guys that are almost ready in Bass and Hennessey. Plus, so many of their forwards are versatile and can be moved from either wing to centre and still be effective. Which is another measure of depth allowing them to cover for injuries.

And I have to laugh at guys like Michel Villeneuve trying to say that the Habs have better depth on D than the Sens. Even with Redden playing poorly, their d corps are one of the better ones in the league.

Phillips-Volenchkov (One of the best shut-down pairings in the league)
Redden-Meszaros (Solid combo even with Redden not playing as well as he can)
Richardson-Commodore (I'm not a big fan of Richardson, but he's doing the job. And Commodore is a solid guy, especially in the 3rd pairing slot.)

The only weakness this team has is maybe not enough grit and questionable goaltending. Especially with Neil out and McGrattan not playing, it would have been worthwhile for us to try and challenge them physically and make things difficult whenever they have the puck. Granted we're not really a team built for that, so that kind of limits our options, but if we're going power on power, they'll beat us 9 times out 10 because they are the better team.

Overall they are simply a better team than us. If we're not playing an aggressive style, capitalizing on chances and making it difficult for them to create anything offensively (playing physical and tight defensively) then they're going to keep winning games fairly handily because precisely of the fact that they have a better team in nearly all areas.
Are you serious? You guys got shut out like 3 out of 4 games recently.
When your captain doesnt play you lose almost every game.
Your goaltending has been a mystery and a liability for the entire franchises history.
The Habs actually have been more consistent this season and have a better goalie.
Your defending a team that added a bunch of new players and fired their coach with in the last 3 weeks, Yeah real stable, lots of depth.
Good teams excel in the playoffs not in the regular season, if you guys could have done that once in the last 10years you might be able to have some bragging rights but you didnt.
Murray's already proven once he cant lead this team to a cup, now the organization is allowing him to try again.
Gainey has led the Habs to 5 and Dallas to 1.
I could go on.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 05:48 PM
BigEyedPhish

You guys need more grit imo, don't get me wrong you guys have a good team just not enough grit (which i think may become a factor in your playoff run). Reminds me of us about 3-4 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
Your goaltending has been a mystery and a liability for the entire franchises history.
The Habs actually have been more consistent this season and have a better goalie.
Your defending a team that added a bunch of new players and fired their coach with in the last 3 weeks, Yeah real stable, lots of depth.
Good teams excel in the playoffs not in the regular season, if you guys could have done that once in the last 10years you might be able to have some bragging rights but you didnt.
Murray's already proven once he cant lead this team to a cup, now the organization is allowing him to try again.
I could go on.
We won the Eastern conference last year, thats pretty good. We may have no cup. But since our team has existed your team hasn't won one either.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-14-2008 at 07:42 PM.
BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch View Post
We won the Eastern conference last year, thats pretty good. We may have no cup. But since our team has existed your team hasn't won one either.
your wrong on that one.
you guys came in the league in 92-93, we won that year

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 06:45 PM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
your wrong on that one.
you guys came in the league in 92-93, we won that year
Prove it

Also that season for us never existed, I have no idea what you are talking about.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 06:47 PM
torero

i believe that habs are fine ...

yesterday ... price was not in good shape .... it wasn't his day. PP was also bad and Streit was absent (virutally ... he is in a bad serie for 4/5 games) .
On the other side Gerber played well and the defense was great. Spezza is in a good serie on the other side Alfie isn't giving 200% (ankle) !

The tide can turn any day. Habs have been improving but yesterday was a countercycle day. Additionaly Sens needed some wins so motivationaly they were on top.

1 GOSENSGO
2 GOHABSGO

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
dont hate them enough
if thats all it takes then let me play against them....theyll lose for sure

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by torerotomcat View Post
i believe that habs are fine ...

yesterday ... price was not in good shape .... it wasn't his day. PP was also bad and Streit was absent (virutally ... he is in a bad serie for 4/5 games) .
On the other side Gerber played well and the defense was great. Spezza is in a good serie on the other side Alfie isn't giving 200% (ankle) !

The tide can turn any day. Habs have been improving but yesterday was a countercycle day. Additionaly Sens needed some wins so motivationaly they were on top.

1 GOSENSGO
2 GOHABSGO
How was Price not in good shape?
The first goal was tipped and would have gone in on ANY goalie in the league.
The second goal was full of it.
third goal was a wicked shot that led to the rebound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
if thats all it takes then let me play against them....theyll lose for sure
thats not all i wrote in my post.
Carbo himself said it, not enough hate for them.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-15-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 07:22 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
I could go on.

Quiet Robert is a Habs fan.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 08:29 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
I know we played a pretty good game vs. Ottawa, Gerber played well and for once in the last 6 games we didnt get outshot, but what I keep noticing is we just aren't playing gritty enough against Ottawa's top line, I saw ample opportunities in the first period for players to Hit Spezza or Heatly when they went into the corners, instead we collapsed back towards the net. I think the collapsing D works well against most teams but when we play teams with bonifide snipers and playmakers I think we have to play stonger 1 on 1.
I don't know I can handle Spezza scoring on us every night a lot better if were at least roughing him up a bit.
What do you think, more grit?
You must have watched a different game than I did because this was one of montreal's worst games of the season...montreal wasnt skating and considering Montreal is a skating team they lost...simple as that...If montreal skates they can outskate probably any team in the league and increase their chances of winning

Although the refs werent any good whats new there...montreal can only blame themselves

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote