HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

first time with equipment

Old
03-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
first time with equipment

hi there, i need some tips on playing real hockey..ok this will might seem weird, but anyway

Tomorrow my floorball team close up the season with a party just to celebrate we won our division and that the season is over and all..

But before that we will play hockey, we get to borrow all the equipment needed, we only need to show up with a stick and skates and the rest will be fixed at the rink.. Now, i've played pickup games for 20 years time or something like that, every winter when i was younger we played, and i can skate so it's not a big issue..but i've never played even with real hockeygloves or shoulderpads or anything like that

but now i'll be getting into a uniform with pads and be able to actually run over my teammates without getting hurt, and of course some guys in our team has played hockey competitive before so they'll be our go to guys, giving us newbies tips

any recommendations ?

i'll keep my head up...i promise

Chevy Cheveldae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 04:33 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
In terms of equipment...you're going to be much happier if you go to a shop to buy stuff. That way you can try it on and figure out exactly what fits you rather than buying online for instance and get stuck with uncomfortable pads. Plus the guys at the shop could help you out if needed.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
In terms of equipment...you're going to be much happier if you go to a shop to buy stuff. That way you can try it on and figure out exactly what fits you rather than buying online for instance and get stuck with uncomfortable pads. Plus the guys at the shop could help you out if needed.
eh, but it's just for 2 hours tomorrow, there's no need to buy stuff for that

Old
03-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

The only thing to worry about is the equipment weight. If they give you all the proper size stuff: helmet, gloves, pads, then they should feel pretty comfortable and not get in your way, but you will feel a bit slower as all the equipment together is more than a few pounds.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Devil Dancer

I had the hardest time getting adjusted to wearing elbow pads. Everything else felt pretty natural, but finding elbow pads that don't restrict your arm movement is key.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Trepanated

Well, the main thing is getting stuff that fits right, but if you'll have people to help with that you should be set.

This will probably sound unbelievably silly, but I recommend having some water on hand while putting the gear on. If you are trying various things on, and are slow getting all the equipment on (which you will be if you've never done it before), then you will probably work up a good sweat. It sounds odd to say, but you will want to stay hydrated during the whole process.

Have fun.

Trepanated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:23 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
put your skates on BEFORE your shin pads. Otherwise, you run the risk of your shin pads riding too low on your legs and it feels like they're trying to push your skates right off your feet.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 01:37 AM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildebeest View Post
put your skates on BEFORE your shin pads. Otherwise, you run the risk of your shin pads riding too low on your legs and it feels like they're trying to push your skates right off your feet.
Or just pull your shin pads up. I always put on shin pads first.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 01:39 AM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Cheveldae View Post
but now i'll be getting into a uniform with pads and be able to actually run over my teammates without getting hurt
Oh boy, you are dead. Dude, you can still get seriously injured even while wearing all the right gear. Don't do anything stupid.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 10:30 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Cheveldae View Post
eh, but it's just for 2 hours tomorrow, there's no need to buy stuff for that
My bad...misunderstood

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 11:56 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodq View Post
Or just pull your shin pads up. I always put on shin pads first.
for some reason that just never works for me. I always have to go socks -> skates -> shins -> pants or it just doesn't feel right.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 03:31 AM
donelikedinner

jock, shin pads, socks, pants, skates, shoulder pads, elbow pads, jersey, mouth guard and finally your helmet and gloves

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 09:05 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner View Post
jock, shin pads, socks, pants, skates, shoulder pads, elbow pads, jersey, mouth guard and finally your helmet and gloves
same. add in clear tape between socks and pants.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Chevy Cheveldae

wow i had the most fun time ever, i had a smile on my face all the time

it took forever just to get the things on in the right order, and there was always someone laughing who had put everything on but forgot to put their skates on, and had to start over, it was always something

i think probably the hardest thing was to get used to playing with gloves, since i've never played with real ones,

but damned what a workout it was, we were 10 guys on each team so we had some rest and the tempo wasn't very high, but still i had to sit down to catch my breath