HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price Reduction or Communist Propagandha?

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Oilers Ent

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Price Reduction or Communist Propagandha?

Maybe Comrie was right.

Look at the artwork for the "Heartland of Hockey" stuff on the Oilers website:

Either way, though, it's good for you people lucky enough to live in Edmonton. I'd be all over those season tickets were I still there. But to give up the trees and mountains of Vancouver (not to mention the weather) would be too much I'm afraid.

Still, it's annoying living in a city that refers to its hockey team as "a bunch of bums" when they get knocked out in the first round after a rough season. I don't think Albertans even know how to spell B-A-N-D-W-A-G-O-N.

Old
04-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Oilers Hockey

In Vancouver are Edmonton tourist pamphlets headlined with "Come to Commie Country!"?

I would gladly trade a lifetime of luxury in Honolulu for Oilers season tix anyday, let alone Vancouver!

Old
04-27-2004, 03:10 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan

i think we all owe mikey a little apologie for him calling us communists

Old
04-27-2004, 03:25 PM
HotToddy

A lot of teams are doing it. It's part of the bargaining position that owners are gearing into. I think during the negotiations your gonna her a lot of "This isn't a major sport in the USA, it shouldn't have salaries and ticket prices comparable to the NFL/NBA/MLB". It's a pre-emptive move by the owners

Old
04-27-2004, 03:27 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
I don't think Albertans even know how to spell B-A-N-D-W-A-G-O-N.
I don't know about that. Flames fans can probably spell it faster than Vancouverites.

Although, God knows I can't blame them. In the seven years since I've been here, its been pretty hard to stomach lineups featuring anyone from Valeri Bure to Phil Housley to Mike Vernon to Ken Wregget.

Old
04-27-2004, 04:32 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy
A lot of teams are doing it. It's part of the bargaining position that owners are gearing into. I think during the negotiations your gonna her a lot of "This isn't a major sport in the USA, it shouldn't have salaries and ticket prices comparable to the NFL/NBA/MLB". It's a pre-emptive move by the owners
I think he meant the graphic is Communist, not the price reductions. (It certainly reminds me of 60s propaganda posters and leaflets.)

Old
04-27-2004, 06:17 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
Maybe Comrie was right.

Look at the artwork for the "Heartland of Hockey" stuff on the Oilers website:

:lol

We All Love The Motherland!

Old
04-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

I can just hear the announcements coming over the speakers..

"Laziness is counterrevolutionary, questions are decadent, fast hands mean less whipping, fan in seat number ### has won 10,000 dollars, but must share an equal portion with every other fan in attendance or be purged, that is all..."

Old
04-27-2004, 08:20 PM
Oilers Hockey

:lol

good stuff!

Old
04-28-2004, 05:46 PM
zamboni

Quote:
I don't think Albertans even know how to spell B-A-N-D-W-A-G-O-N.
Come spend a couple days in Calgary and then try saying that.

Old
04-28-2004, 08:09 PM
copperaddict

I've been in on season tickets for the last 4 years and I may be in the minority on this topic but I didn't want to see a price cut.The amount of money they won't be recieving could have gone toward the payroll that could have gone toward a top 2 line centerman with a goal scorers touch or that Offensive Dman that everyone knows we need(Tverdovsky).This would help bring back true Oiler hockey and not the watered down MacT version.No way can I sit paying my hard earned dollars to watch Horcoff get over 20 minutes a night and getting PP time.Out of the 8 teams left Calgary is the only team that he would be able to get 10 minutes and some teams he would be in the press box.

Old
04-28-2004, 09:37 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperaddict
I've been in on season tickets for the last 4 years and I may be in the minority on this topic but I didn't want to see a price cut.The amount of money they won't be recieving could have gone toward the payroll that could have gone toward a top 2 line centerman with a goal scorers touch or that Offensive Dman that everyone knows we need(Tverdovsky).This would help bring back true Oiler hockey and not the watered down MacT version.No way can I sit paying my hard earned dollars to watch Horcoff get over 20 minutes a night and getting PP time.Out of the 8 teams left Calgary is the only team that he would be able to get 10 minutes and some teams he would be in the press box.
Well, to be fair, the Oilers are making a business move during a time of major uncertainty with the great possibility of a work stoppage. They know that if there's a year of no NHL hockey, the Oilers don't want to lose a whole whack of fans after working so hard to get the interest up to a high level. So this reduction is only for those people who pay by May 31st anyway, to try to get people to pony up before they forget all about hockey.

If the new CBA doesn't 'fix' things in the NHL so that the Oilers can compete better, then it doesn't matter what the ticket prices are, as we'll be losing the Oilers pretty quickly. And if it DOES fix the system, then the Oilers can still be very competitive even with the 5% discount from about 30% of the season's ticket holders (Laforge's estimate).

Bart

Old
04-30-2004, 12:32 AM
puck528

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
Come spend a couple days in Calgary and then try saying that.
I do live in cowtown and I've never seen so many bandwagon hoppers all my life. It's a freaking joke, most Calgarians only know Iggy and Kipper, Mike Vernon is still the backup right? B-A-Rutal

Old
04-30-2004, 07:12 PM
zamboni

Exactly. Yesterday, all I hear at school, on the streets, and at work is "we're gonna beat the Wings, were' gonna beat the Wings!" As soon as I get on the bus this morning, I hear "Flames totally suck. We're too slow". It's not that drastic with everybody but you get the point.

I have realized that some REAL Flames fans also detest The Bandwagon, which is good to see.

Old
04-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent

I apologize all ye Edmontonians for suggesting that Calgarians were not bandwagoners. Having grown up in Edmonton and never once been to Calgary in adulthood - I have no grasp on the city or its people.

I know Edmontonians, though, and they are faithful, diehard fans. WE don't know what bandwagon means (a type of pastry perhaps?).

Closed Thread