Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposed Offseason Moves

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2004, 02:54 AM
Dundalis

vCash: 500
We will see if Modano is still the 'franchise' next season or after. I agree that he should retire a star. But if he gets traded in a deal that was too good to pass up, and sures up the teams future im not going to cry about it. The same with any other player on the team. Epsecially with the youth movement with the primary goal no longer being that of winning in the near future. You say you dont see trading this or that player as the answer. You dont even know what you could get from Lehtinen. Or any other player. Unless you did you could not know whether its the answer or not. If we traded Morrow or Modano, and got back Spezza and Havlat (by the way I never said we would get Spezza, I said simply were a deal like this available, I would pull the trigger) then those two players will be this teams franchise, replacing/succeeding Modano, which is what most people want to see. Modano has a lot more trade value than Yzerman which is the reason they wouldnt trade him, his value to his team is more than his market value. I wouldnt really say that about Modano, who you would think is still thought of as a top player.

Old
04-29-2004, 10:26 AM
munkeyman70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman
Were not gonna get Spezza. A new coach in Ottawa is gonna give Spezza a chance to play. He would be stupid not to.

Sentimental Crap?? No....Modano should retire a Star. He is to the Stars what Yzerman is to the Red Wings. Players who have been with one team their whole career and it should stay that way with Modano.

I don't see trading Jere as an answer either. I think Arnott and Bure could be traded. Arnott for sure. Some team looking for a big center will be looking for that.

I agree we need to get younger and look to the future, but trading the "franchise" is not the answer.

Arnott isnt under contract.

Old
04-29-2004, 02:12 PM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman
You took the words right outta my mouth....WHY WOULD YOU TRADE MODANO?? Oh...one bad season...lets trade our FRACHISE PLAYER!! Give me a break...everyone who wants to trade Modano...what kinda Stars fans are you?? SERIOUS!! The guy had a tough year...everyone has one...lay off the guy already.

I'd also like to see us try and move up in the draft as well. Some good young talent avaliable to get out there.
I agree. This is the man who hold just about every offensive record for our franchise and the guy who will one day have his number in the rafters. He had ONE bad season, does this erase the what 12ish great season's he had with us? Listen, Modano will probably never be the same Modano that put up a point a game, but this is to be expected from all players as they get into their mid-thirties. He has done so much for this team and this community, and it be be terrible if he didn't retire a Star. Should he wear the C? Probably not. But you all need to give this guy a break, man its crazy how people forget all the great accomplishments of their players after one bad season. Just amazes me.

Old
04-29-2004, 02:14 PM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
If they trade Modano...I'm pretty DAMNED sure that Ottawa would be on the horn for him.

He had ONE bad season...sweet jesus...he's been mr. consistant for a few years if my memory doesn't fail me.

God...I'd give you Havlat and Bonk for the guy...
done

Old
04-30-2004, 12:17 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttMorrow
I agree. This is the man who hold just about every offensive record for our franchise and the guy who will one day have his number in the rafters. He had ONE bad season, does this erase the what 12ish great season's he had with us? Listen, Modano will probably never be the same Modano that put up a point a game, but this is to be expected from all players as they get into their mid-thirties. He has done so much for this team and this community, and it be be terrible if he didn't retire a Star. Should he wear the C? Probably not. But you all need to give this guy a break, man its crazy how people forget all the great accomplishments of their players after one bad season. Just amazes me.
I would say the same thing were he not to have had a bad season. It would mean we would get even more for him. I dont hold the sentimental value you hold for him I guess. You do whats best for the future of the team, as harsh as that might sound. If we had more tradeable commodities I might not be so inclined, but we dont really. We either have players that other teams dont really want, or overpayed players with contracts other teams dont want. Turco, Morrow, Modano, Lehtinen...thats about it. I doubt we probably get a hell of a lot for Lehtinen as good as he is, unless packaged with one of the other players. Arnott if we resign him. Maybe Zubov.

Old
04-30-2004, 01:38 AM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeyman70
Arnott isnt under contract.
Arnott's an RFA. So he is really under contrac unless we don't qualify him. So I think we will in order to get something in return for him.

Old
04-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
With the Rangers just beginning a youth movement themselves, I highly doubt they'd be interested in trading young assets (be it prospects or picks) for a Modano or a Lehtinen. Both are great players, just not good pickups for a rebuilding team.

Seriously I think you guys should keep both. 1 bad year is no reason to scorn two of your best players for the last 5 years.

Old
04-30-2004, 01:30 PM
messy_eh

I posted this on Ottawa board would you do this deal?

Ottawa - Jason Arnott, Brendan Morrow
Dallas - Radek Bonk, Martin Havlat

salaries all wash out and would be pretty even in the end Ottawa doesn't want to give up Havlat any more than you want to give up Morrow, Just seems like a deal that could be good for both teams. Morrow brings grit to Ottawa and Havlat will bring high output offense to Dallas as a nucks fan I am neutral in this but it just strikes me as a deal that might work out well for both teams.

Old
04-30-2004, 03:00 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Highlander

salaries all wash out and would be pretty even in the end Ottawa doesn't want to give up Havlat any more than you want to give up Morrow, Just seems like a deal that could be good for both teams. Morrow brings grit to Ottawa and Havlat will bring high output offense to Dallas as a nucks fan I am neutral in this but it just strikes me as a deal that might work out well for both teams.
Hell no I wouldn't. Bonk for Arnott, IMO, is a slight downgrade, especially when you realise Arnott is getting more comfortable and more important in his role by the minute (Modano declining, Turgeon is 35). Also, dealing Arnott would only happen out of rebuilding reasons, thus dealing him for someone nearly just as old with no greater intangibles or a greater upside whatsoever makes no sense. But the real issue I have with this deal is dealing Brenden Morrow. I couldn't care less for who (there are exceptions ofcourse), but Morrow is everything the Stars aren't. Dealing him would create a huge hole, far greater than Havat could ever fill.

Old
05-01-2004, 12:24 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Highlander

Replace Bonk with Spezza and id do it. As important as Morrow is, I wouldnt pass that up. IMO we have players coming through that could replace Morrows grit, at least somewhat, we dont have anything approaching Spezza or Havlat.

Closed Thread