HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Skates

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2008, 09:53 AM
  #1
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Hockey Skates

My pair is 12 years old (Bauer Supremes). Thinking about getting a new pair but I hate break in.

Any advantage/difference with the new skates of today?

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 11:29 AM
  #2
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnsoclean View Post
My pair is 12 years old (Bauer Supremes). Thinking about getting a new pair but I hate break in.

Any advantage/difference with the new skates of today?
I'm was in the same boat as you.

I was coming out of a 13 year old pair of Bauer Supreme Composite 5000.

However, i found the PERFECT skate for me.

The Nike Bauer Vapor XXV.

I didn't get to try on the Vapor XXXX because they didn't have my size. But the price tag on the XXXX is a little steep. $500+

The XXV is the next in line (second highest model) and is only $310.

Biggest difference in the two that i can see is a slightly different liner. And the tongues are different.

But, do your self a favor and try these bad boys on. You won't regret it.

At least for me, the Vapors fit my feet better then the new Supremes. The new Supremes are all for wider feet. The Vapors fit narrow feet better. Even the toe caps are different.

I also had a pair of Supreme 50. The 9D were too small. But the 9.5 were too big.

With the Vapor XXV the 9D is PERFECT.

But these things are INCREDIBLE.

And with the thermoformability of the boot, there is little break in period with the Vapors.


Advantages are lighter, better performance, and are made with synthetic materials, so i can sleep better at night knowing that no animals were slaughtered so i can skate.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 02:39 PM
  #3
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Advantages are lighter, better performance, and are made with synthetic materials, so i can sleep better at night knowing that no animals were slaughtered so i can skate.
And how! Even the low-end skates are going to be a lot lighter than the 5000's.

Go to a store and try every brand on at least once and buy from there. I can see getting away with buying elbows, sticks, shins online without trying them on. But skates are much more sensitive to differences in brand.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 10:31 PM
  #4
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
And how! Even the low-end skates are going to be a lot lighter than the 5000's.

Go to a store and try every brand on at least once and buy from there. I can see getting away with buying elbows, sticks, shins online without trying them on. But skates are much more sensitive to differences in brand.
Agreed.

Skates are basically the only thing you can't buy online. Its just a mess waiting to happen.

Local pro shops will SLIGHTLY more expensive then internet stores. But the advantage is that the pro shop will take care of you and your skates. And besides the slightly more expensive price tag is basically a wash when you take into account the cost of shipping.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 10:36 PM
  #5
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Agreed.

Skates are basically the only thing you can't buy online. Its just a mess waiting to happen.

Local pro shops will SLIGHTLY more expensive then internet stores. But the advantage is that the pro shop will take care of you and your skates. And besides the slightly more expensive price tag is basically a wash when you take into account the cost of shipping.
Double true. I'm not saying people should expect this, but ask the store manager if he can offer a small discount after you've been fitted. They really can't math HockeyWalmart.com, but maybe they can meet you halfway.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 11:33 PM
  #6
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart
 
The Lollipop King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
Go with a Graf

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 11:43 PM
  #7
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
My local shop seemed to have decent price on skates. With the hockey season coming to an end, they have some good deals. I wouldn't buy skates online ever. I can tell the difference between two pair of identical skates. There's always something that may hit one of your toes or rub ya the wrong way.

Anyways, basically my question is... my skates are old but I'm a custom to them and like them. With the technology today, is it WORTH and will I FEEL a difference in a new pair of skates? Thanks


Last edited by FreshNsoClean: 03-16-2008 at 01:10 AM.
FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 01:02 AM
  #8
xeric716x
Born To Expire
 
xeric716x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jack City
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 10,921
vCash: 500
get NB XXV

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:31 AM
  #9
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnsoclean View Post
Anyways, basically my question is... my skates are old but I'm a custom to them and like them. With the technology today, is it WORTH and will I FEEL a difference in a new pair of skates? Thanks
SHort answer: Yes.
Long answer: Yes, but take the time to find the pair that fit closer to your 5000's.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 10:40 AM
  #10
Jeffw-13
Registered User
 
Jeffw-13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
They really can't math HockeyWalmart.com, but maybe they can meet you halfway.

Not true. Nike Bauer & the other major brands now have price controls so that the online super sites can't undercut the local hockey shops.

Even if your LHS is a little more expensive consider that they're going to include sharpening and baking your skates with the purchase. You would have to pay for the service if you bought online.


Read this...

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...howtopic=38634

Jeffw-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 09:08 PM
  #11
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw-13 View Post
Not true. Nike Bauer & the other major brands now have price controls so that the online super sites can't undercut the local hockey shops.

Even if your LHS is a little more expensive consider that they're going to include sharpening and baking your skates with the purchase. You would have to pay for the service if you bought online.


Read this...

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...howtopic=38634
I post at MSH too. That's what I said. Let's say MAP for a skate is $300 and HockeyWalmart.com sells for $310, while you're local shop sells for $360. It's not a stretch while you're at the store to see if they'll drop to $335.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 09:32 PM
  #12
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
I was about to pick up some XXV's for $279 but I couldn't pull the trigger. I walked in them for about 30minutes and just didn't feel much of a difference from my old Bauer Supreme 3000's (which I also brought in). I can feel when holding them one by one that they are lighter, but dropping $300 bones when it's not exactly a need is just hard. I did pickup a pair of Vapor XX gloves though.


Last edited by FreshNsoClean: 03-16-2008 at 09:52 PM.
FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
  #13
Leo W
Registered User
 
Leo W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 4,532
vCash: 500
I have Graf G35's and I am in LOVE with them. Haha, nevermind if you're afraid to drop 300 bucks then those sure as hell aren't the skates for you.


Last edited by Leo W: 03-16-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 04:45 PM
  #14
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Well guys I'm back. After going to my local shop in Coon Rapids, which is also http://www.hockeygiant.com, I found my pair of skates. I can't tell you how damn good the service was compared to another shop (Daves). These guys were bringing out every pair of skates without me having to ask. After trying on tons of skates my decision was down to Supreme 70's and the Vapor XXII. I didn't like the XXXX and XXV's. The XXII were $120 cheaper than the 70's. They did NOT pressure me either way at all. The 70's felt slightly better wearing these side by side, but for the $120 difference I was about to go with the Vapor XXII. Well I tried the right skate on of the XXII's and my toe was crunched for some reason. I was like screw it. I went back and tried on both of the Supreme 70's and it was my fit. $120 is a big difference but I'll be happy another 10 years.

They heated them @ 200degrees for 10min and I got my break in done. They also offer free sharpening for LIFE with any purchase of skates.

I'm damn happy. The Bauer Supreme 70's are a damn nice skate. I will be buying everything from this place from now on. Thanks for all the help on here. It gave me an idea what I wanted before I walked in.

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.