Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

OT expression question

Old
03-13-2008, 02:43 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
OT expression question

As I am living in a foreign country I don't always stay up to date with new expressions and so....

So I thought I'd ask what spooning is called in finnish, as it is an action I tend to quite often.

Is it as simple as "lusikoida"? XD

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Tormentor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
As I am living in a foreign country I don't always stay up to date with new expressions and so....

So I thought I'd ask what spooning is called in finnish, as it is an action I tend to quite often.

Is it as simple as "lusikoida"? XD
You could use "lapioida" as well, if you're really hungry.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 03:22 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
You could use "lapioida" as well, if you're really hungry.
Not a food action ;O this is spooning

Old
03-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Not a food action ;O this is spooning

Ouch, you fooled me. "halailla", "hyväillä", "olla lähekkäin", "helliä" if you just mean cuddling, but if you have spoons position in mind, I don't know a Finnish word for it.

Last edited by Tormentor: 03-13-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old
03-13-2008, 03:57 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Ouch, you fooled me. "halailla", "hyväillä", "olla lähekkäin", "helliä" if you just mean cuddling, but if you have spoons position in mind, I don't know a Finnish word for it.
those words are really basic, and easy for me ^^.

It's the newer expressions and expressions which haven't come across for me in life that I don't know.

I guess I have to join a suomiseura and spoon a finnish girl and ask her!

Old
03-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
those words are really basic, and easy for me ^^.

It's the newer expressions and expressions which haven't come across for me in life that I don't know.

I guess I have to join a suomiseura and spoon a finnish girl and ask her!
Finnish men go straight to the business, so there is no time for anything else. It's possible that I'm just having a bad day, but I can't come up with any new words that would mean something like that. There are probably hundreds of Finnish words for the actual Grande Finale, but not that many words for the preceding action. Perhaps someone else could come up with the updated versions?

Old
03-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Finnish Gordon

The Finnish language doesn't have a word for spooning... YET. How 'bout we come up with one? "Lusikointi" is an obvious and literal one, but doesn't quite sound right. Maybe something like "lusikkailu"... or then just lusikka-halaus. Anyone care to have a go?

Finnish Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Panopticon

I've heard some younger ones just say "spuunailla" or something like that.

I don't think I've ever used a word for it myself.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 02:58 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
I've heard some younger ones just say "spuunailla" or something like that.

I don't think I've ever used a word for it myself.
spuunailla sounds horrible and is very much against the finnish tradition of making own "real" finnish words.

Old
03-14-2008, 02:59 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Finnish men go straight to the business, so there is no time for anything else. It's possible that I'm just having a bad day, but I can't come up with any new words that would mean something like that. There are probably hundreds of Finnish words for the actual Grande Finale, but not that many words for the preceding action. Perhaps someone else could come up with the updated versions?
Well, I don't do the Grande Finale with my female friends, but I sure do spoon with them! ^^

Old
03-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
spuunailla sounds horrible and is very much against the finnish tradition of making own "real" finnish words.

I agree it sounds horrible, but that's what the kids do these days. At least in these parts. Maybe people get a bit more creative north of Kerava.

I don't know if it's that much against tradition, though, when you consider things like "stadin slangi". Hell, even the word "stadi" is formed exactly the same way as "spuunailla" (although for better reasons, all things considered). Doesn't mean that either word sounds great, though.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 07:15 AM
FINNtastic

I actually have used the word 'lusikoida' and I have used it in a sentence 'tuu tänne lusikkaan/lusikoimaan'. And when you say it you gotta have this face on

FINNtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNtastic View Post
I actually have used the word 'lusikoida' and I have used it in a sentence 'tuu tänne lusikkaan/lusikoimaan'. And when you say it you gotta have this face on
I have heard "lusikka" used as well, quite a lot actually. Not as verb tho, but just saying which kind of position you are using, liking, trying, etc.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:00 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
I don't know if it's that much against tradition, though, when you consider things like "stadin slangi". Hell, even the word "stadi" is formed exactly the same way as "spuunailla" (although for better reasons, all things considered). Doesn't mean that either word sounds great, though.
cross-language slang is just terrible

It's even worse with the people here who accept people who speak swedo-finnish. It's horrible.

My roots are from upnorth, so luckily my relatives don't speak with that kind of crap

Old
03-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Finnpin

Quote:
cross-language slang is just terrible

It's even worse with the people here who accept people who speak swedo-finnish. It's horrible.

My roots are from upnorth, so luckily my relatives don't speak with that kind of crap
Whaaat the!? Well opinions are opinions. The old stadin slangi used to be a cross-language slang mostly taken from the swedish words...when youth started to see lots of english programs from tv and the influence by the "pop culture" (80's & 90's -->) the words from english came more and more in to the slang and these days the slang is more english influenced..though not so alive like in the old days (40's). If you have born here (or/and lived the youth period) of course you get those words and speak by it. When I was young and visiting my cousins outside Helsinki I always had to translate the words cause they didn't understand often what I was talking about. These days in my work when I speak with the customers outside of Helsinki I often think what words not to use cause I know they don't understand them. and I'm 30 somethin

Last edited by Finnpin: 03-14-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 03:16 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeri View Post
Whaaat the!? Well opinions are opinions. The old stadin slangi used to be a cross-language slang mostly taken from the swedish words...when youth started to see lots of english programs from tv and the influence by the "pop culture" (80's & 90's -->) the words from english came more and more in to the slang and these days the slang is more english influenced..though not so alive like in the old days (40's). If you have born here (or/and lived the youth period) of course you get those words and speak by it. When I was young and visiting my cousins outside Helsinki I always had to translate the words cause they didn't understand often what I was talking about. In my work when I speak with the customers outside of Helsinki I often think what words not to use cause I know they don't understand them.
Well, I'd see taking foreign words when your own language has perfectly fine words for it as retarded ^^.

I'd understand it if it were a poor language like swedish, which is mostly made up from foreign words, but finnish? That's just stupid

Old
03-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Finnpin

Quote:
Well, I'd see taking foreign words when your own language has perfectly fine words for it as retarded ^^.

I'd understand it if it were a poor language like swedish, which is mostly made up from foreign words, but finnish? That's just stupid
Blame the pop culture. But if you don't speak it/live it/understand it by yourself so I can see that point of view...mostly nobody likes it but us Helsinkians.

Last edited by Finnpin: 03-14-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 03:43 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeri View Post
Blame the pop culture. But if you don't speak it/live it/understand it by yourself so I can see that point of view...mostly nobody likes it but us Helsinkians.
And no offense, but I haven't really come across stadi-people who have struck me as wonderful people I must have in my life ^^

Old
03-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Tiina

Lusikka-asento

Tiina is offline   Reply With Quote