Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

U18 WJC - Roster & Comments

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2004, 05:02 PM
Guillaume

vCash: 500
U18 WJC - Roster & Comments

As I havent seen anybody posting the roster of the 1986 Russian team for the upcoming U18 WJC, I put it below with some comments. It is the exact same preliminary roster as at the February tournament, except that Amakhin is back and Mikhaylishin and Klimov are not there. Overall, a very competitive team with no real weakness and good team chemistry. If Malkin cannot recover on time, it would be a hard knock though as he is the most talented and the biggest forward. The 1986 generation has enough depth to produce two very competitive teams. Main opponents should be the North American teams.

Fs:

Denis Parshin, LW 511 172, CSKA Moscow
Evgeny Malkin, C 63 187, Metallurg Magnitogorsk
Dmitri ****ikov, RW 511 176, CSKA Moscow
Roman Voloshenko, LW 61 198, Krylia Sovetov Moscow
Mikhail Yunkov, C 61 180, Krylia Sovetov Moscow
Enver Lisin, RW 62 190, Kristall Saratov
Sergei Shirokov, LW 60 174, CSKA Moscow
Alexander Plyushev, C 61 185, Spartak Moscow
Alexander Radulov, RW 61 183, Dynamo Moscow
Nikolai Kulemin, LW 61 185 Metallurg Magnitogorsk
Andrei Stepanov, LW 511 174, Krylia Sovetov Moscow
Sergei Ogorodnikov, C 60 181, THK Tver
Ilya Zubov, C 60 176, Traktor Chelyabinsk
Sergei Salnikov, RW 511 176, Salavat Yulaev Ufa
Igor Skorokhodov, RW 59 170, Severstal Cherepovets

Comments: Malkin is put on the preliminary roster despite suffering the concussion last month.
The first three lines are a no-brainer (thanks to the good coaching job done by Bragin with the 1986 team): Parshin-Malkin (assuming he can play)-****ikov, Voloshenko-Yunkov-Lisin, Shirokov-Plyushev-Radulov. Its more open for the last line. Zubov (the only 1987 born player) has been pretty regular on that line. Ogorodnikov is very talented but hasnt proved much with the 1986 team. Salnikov is pretty good. Skorokhodov is diminutive and not that great. Stepanov is OK. In February, Kulemin-Zubov-Salnikov were selected but did not do much, having little ice time. They are likely to be picked again. If Malkin cannot play, I would expect ogorodnikov to play instead.
Main absentees: Apalikov, Dmitriev, Lemtyugov, Nikolaev, Gribanov, Grigorenko, Tsymbalov, and to a lesser extent Bikkinaev, Igonin, Latyshev, Mashanov, Shigapov, Zhmaev, Vorozhbitov.
Some of the 1987 could have looked nice in the mix like Churilov, Istomin, Krysanov, Bumagin or Zharkov.

Ds:
Ivan Amakhin, 62 190, Lokomotiv Yaroslav
Kirill Lyamin, 63 198, CSKA Moscow
Anton Belov, 63 198, CSKA Moscow
Sergei Karetin, 63 194, CSKA Moscow
Rinat Ibragimov, 61 194, metallurg Magnitogorsk
Evgeny Biryukov, 61 198, Metallurg Magnitogorsk
Adgur Dzhugelya, 510 194, Dynamo Moscow
Alexander Aksenenko, 61 183, Sibir Novosibirsk
Alexei Emelin, 61 187, Lada Togliatti
Vladimir Papunin, 511 174, Metallurg Magnitogorsk

A bit disappointing not to see Anikeenko who is better than some of these players and who already played last year. Amakhin is likely to be on the first line and be the captain of the team. He is an amazing player who has (IMO) a great future. Lyamin is likely to have significant responsibilities too. Belov brings last years experience. Karetin is solid. Ibragimov-Biryukov is the steady 3rd pair of the team. The Abkaz Dzhugelya is the most offensive defenceman but a little short. I hope Karetin-Belov will be paired, instead of attempts at Yemelin-Karetin and Belov-Papunin (which would likely be a 5th line). Yemelin is very good. Aksenenko is OK, Papunin lacks physical presence.
Main absentees: Mikhaylishin (great size, good skills but not always consistent), Klimov (good leadership), Dorofeev, Moshkarev, Nikitin, Plekhanov, Selikhov, Teslyuk (plays in Canada and is having a pretty good season), and Sokolov.

G:
Anton Khudobin, 511 181, Metallurg Magnitogorsk
Ivan Kasutin, 60 170, Lokomotiv Yaroslav
Viktor Dolgushin, 510 187, Gazovik Tyumen
Sergei Klimkovich, 61 176, Spartak Moscow

Comments: Khudobin is a no-brainer, best 1986 GK of the bunch. After him, Kasutin has the inside track, Dolgushin has a shot, Klimkovich is unlikely.
Note that the talented Fokin will be with the 1985 team.
Other absentees: Akaev, Grushetsky (not doing too well lately).

Old
03-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Fredrik

Good analysis Guillaume.

This team looks really strong like you say. It would somehow be interesting to see a Russia 2 team play this year.

A question about the forward lines. You said there were good lines put together by the coach. Would this mean that some players that are among the 22 best 1986 born will be left out because they don't fit into a good line/pair?

BTW, is the coach working full time with this team or is he working somewhere else during the season? If the second is true, would it influence who is or who is not on the team?

Old
03-25-2004, 03:50 PM
Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik
Good analysis Guillaume.

This team looks really strong like you say. It would somehow be interesting to see a Russia 2 team play this year.

A question about the forward lines. You said there were good lines put together by the coach. Would this mean that some players that are among the 22 best 1986 born will be left out because they don't fit into a good line/pair?

BTW, is the coach working full time with this team or is he working somewhere else during the season? If the second is true, would it influence who is or who is not on the team?
I guess a Russia 2 team would be interesting to see...at least for the scouts.
I guess you could say that some players have better individual skills than some selected and even though they could be in the top 20 86 born players they were not selected due to poor combinations or poor showings. Arguably, you could say that Nikolaev (who had two strong tournaments with the team, and one so-so), Lemtyugov, Dmitriev, Stolyarov or Ogorodnikov have better individual skills than some of the guys potentially on the 4th line. the top 3 lines might be the top 9 forwards though.
Arguably, you could say that Dorofeev, Mikhaylishin, or Klimov are better than Papunin, Aksenenko, and may be Biryukov and Ibragimov.
Arguably, some 87 born players are better than some of the 86 guys selected.
However, to have a winning team, you have to look also at team chemistry.
Overall, I trust Bragin. He resigned from the Khimik's head coach position in November I believe. THe team still prepares competitiions over there. Except Bikkinaev and Aksenov who were selected once (the first tournament played by this team in Febraury 2002), no Khimik players were selected on this team. Makes me think he is pretty impartial. I trust his judgement in general and he took his team to great successes over the past two years.
What do you guys think of that team?

Old
03-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Guillaume

Update on Malkin

he has been cleared to play by doctors. So, he should be with the 1986 team in Minsk.

Old
03-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Guillaume
Thanks for the info
How would you compare this year's team to last year's?

Old
03-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
Guillaume
Thanks for the info
How would you compare this year's team to last year's?
I tend to believe that the team has a better potential overall and is more balanced. it does not guarantee a better result though.
The team does not have a go-to-guy like Ovechkin last year. While having a guy like Ovechkin is always a plus, it kind of pushed the coach to adopt a strategy based on that. Against the Slovaks and the Czechs last year, the strategy was more or less "give the puck to Sasha." This year, the team relies on 3 balanced and performing lines. This would constitute a constant threat for the opposing team and they could not focus on just one guy like the Slovaks did last year.
there is also less diminutive forwards than last year.
The defense is more balanced, has more size, is more reliable and has much more experience playing together and with the goalie. In contrast, last year, you had Anikeenko, Belov, Misharin, and Nosov who almost never played on the team before (excpet 1 tournament for Nosov and 1 for Misharin I believe).
In addition, Pervyshin was more or less the only D who could bring some offense last year. This year, Amakhin and Dzhugelya (and Karetin to some extent) are regular contributors.
FInally, I would say that more guys have been SUperleague and High league regulars this season (Malkin, Parshin, Lyamin to some extent, Voloshenko, Yunkov, Zubov, Radulov, Lisin) which is a big plus.
We will see if they prove to be better than last year.

Old
03-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Guillaume

Just some news from training camp:

- Malkin trains, and plays. He seems confident he will play in Minsk.
- Gennadi Churilov (Metallurg Magnitogorsk) and Vitally Anikeenko (Lokomotiv Yaroslav), both of the 1987 generation, were called. Could be great. Anikeenko suffered an injury few weeks ago but is OK.
- Dolgushin got a concussion during training camp, so there are only 30 players left on preliminary roster.
- Today game against Elektrostal, tomorrow against Krylia Sovetov.

Old
03-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Guillaume

Malkin is back !
3 assists, 1 goal against Kristall Elektrostal.
They won 6-2 after an early 0-2 lead from Elekotrstal.
Goals:
Churilov (Ibragimov)
Parshin (Malkin)
****ikov (Malkin, Parshin)
Lyamin (Malkin)
Malkin (Parshin)
****ikov (Biryukov)

The first line Parshin-Malkin-****ikov did very well
The second line Voloshenko-Yunkov-Radulov did not play the game.
Kasutin was in the net.
both Churilov and Anikeenko played.
Yemelin did not play.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:23 AM
czechhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume
I tend to believe that the team has a better potential overall and is more balanced. it does not guarantee a better result though.
The team does not have a go-to-guy like Ovechkin last year. While having a guy like Ovechkin is always a plus, it kind of pushed the coach to adopt a strategy based on that. Against the Slovaks and the Czechs last year, the strategy was more or less "give the puck to Sasha." This year, the team relies on 3 balanced and performing lines. This would constitute a constant threat for the opposing team and they could not focus on just one guy like the Slovaks did last year.
there is also less diminutive forwards than last year.
The defense is more balanced, has more size, is more reliable and has much more experience playing together and with the goalie. In contrast, last year, you had Anikeenko, Belov, Misharin, and Nosov who almost never played on the team before (excpet 1 tournament for Nosov and 1 for Misharin I believe).
In addition, Pervyshin was more or less the only D who could bring some offense last year. This year, Amakhin and Dzhugelya (and Karetin to some extent) are regular contributors.
FInally, I would say that more guys have been SUperleague and High league regulars this season (Malkin, Parshin, Lyamin to some extent, Voloshenko, Yunkov, Zubov, Radulov, Lisin) which is a big plus.
We will see if they prove to be better than last year.
I saw Russian team at two tourneys and they had in very similar roster there as they will have in Minsk.
IMO the offence is very strong, but Im not very high on the defense. They lacks top-end talent among defensemen, but take into account Lyamin and Emelin didnt play neither at World Cup in August nor in Slovakia in November where I was so I probably didnt watch the best two D. Belov is steady and Amakhin solid. Czech has slightly better defensive corp with Smid, Kindl and Polak and far better goalie.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechhockeyfan
I saw Russian team at two tourneys and they had in very similar roster there as they will have in Minsk.
IMO the offence is very strong, but Im not very high on the defense. They lacks top-end talent among defensemen, but take into account Lyamin and Emelin didnt play neither at World Cup in August nor in Slovakia in November where I was so I probably didnt watch the best two D. Belov is steady and Amakhin solid. Czech has slightly better defensive corp with Smid, Kindl and Polak and far better goalie.
You probably have a point. At the tournaments you've seen, the defense was not good (especially at the world cup in August). Ibragimov was pretty bad, paired with Biryukov or Belov. Amakhin-Mikhaylishin was steady. That was the worst tournament of the team, defensively. In November, Ibragimov was still pretty bad, especially when paired with Aksenenko. Belov wasn't too good there either. Karetin-Amakhin was pretty good. They played way too much Dzhugelya at that tournament (with Dorofeev).
They probably missed top defencemen (i.e., guys who could go top 20 in a draft). THis time they will probably have one or 2 with Lyamin and Anikeenko. They did not really have such type of D player last year either.

I also agree that Schwartz is much better than Khudobin (he wasn't too good at the world cup) and Kasutin.

Result of last night's game:
Krylia Sovetov - Russia U18 2-2
1-0 Ogorodnikov (Skorokhodov) NB: Anikeenko, Karetin, Ogorodnikov, Skorokhodov, and Stepanov played with KS.
1-1 ****ikov (Biryukov)
1-2 Parshin (Malkin, Biryukov)
2-2 Pasternavtsky (Deev).

Old
04-02-2004, 03:46 AM
czechhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume
You probably have a point. At the tournaments you've seen, the defense was not good (especially at the world cup in August). Ibragimov was pretty bad, paired with Biryukov or Belov. Amakhin-Mikhaylishin was steady. That was the worst tournament of the team, defensively. In November, Ibragimov was still pretty bad, especially when paired with Aksenenko. Belov wasn't too good there either. Karetin-Amakhin was pretty good. They played way too much Dzhugelya at that tournament (with Dorofeev).
They probably missed top defencemen (i.e., guys who could go top 20 in a draft). THis time they will probably have one or 2 with Lyamin and Anikeenko. They did not really have such type of D player last year either.

I also agree that Schwartz is much better than Khudobin (he wasn't too good at the world cup) and Kasutin.

Result of last night's game:
Krylia Sovetov - Russia U18 2-2
1-0 Ogorodnikov (Skorokhodov) NB: Anikeenko, Karetin, Ogorodnikov, Skorokhodov, and Stepanov played with KS.
1-1 ****ikov (Biryukov)
1-2 Parshin (Malkin, Biryukov)
2-2 Pasternavtsky (Deev).

I agree Amakhin was unspectacular but very solid. Mikhaylishin looked very raw but has potential IMO.
Among forwards I really like Plyuchev. Very intelligent and useful player at both sides.
I remember Dmitriev and Lemtyugov at World Cup in August and they looked as good forwards but they got very little icetime.
Czech team could be the toughest opponent for Russia next to Canada. This team is very strong despite of missing two excellent forward playing in N.A. Pohl and Meidl. Yes they lost to Russia 7:0 in Finland but goalie in the net(Adamec) was very poor and they played the third game in three days in contrast to Russia. Czechs even outshot Russian.

Old
04-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechhockeyfan
I agree Amakhin was unspectacular but very solid. Mikhaylishin looked very raw but has potential IMO.
Among forwards I really like Plyuchev. Very intelligent and useful player at both sides.
I remember Dmitriev and Lemtyugov at World Cup in August and they looked as good forwards but they got very little icetime.
Czech team could be the toughest opponent for Russia next to Canada. This team is very strong despite of missing two excellent forward playing in N.A. Pohl and Meidl. Yes they lost to Russia 7:0 in Finland but goalie in the net(Adamec) was very poor and they played the third game in three days in contrast to Russia. Czechs even outshot Russian.
I agree wit you that Plyushev is a good 2-way forward. He does everything well. I may be wrong but I believe he is still the player who started at the youngest age ever in Superleague (two years ago he played one or two games at the end of the season for Spartak).
Lemtyugov is very good but never really got the exposure he deserves. This year, he put numbers similar to ****ikov's (and without having Shirokov on his line). great goalscorer. Dmitriev brings size that none but Malkin has on the Fs.
THe Czech team is certainly the thoughest opponent in Europe for Russia for this generation, even though there were two 7-0 defeats for the Czechs. One in Pori in February to which you are referring to and another one one year earlier in Podolsk (Jakub was the goalie that time). Other than that, I believe they tied 3 times and Russia also won by one goal at the world cup 6-5 (trailing from 2-5).
Besides the Czech, the Americans look great, they won the world cup, and they are 2-2-0 against the Russians. Russians never faced the Canadians so far, but I am sure they will have a great team.

Old
04-07-2004, 08:08 AM
russianrocket24

I saw Plyushev playing last summer at a youth tournament here in Germany. Really talented kid. He was miles ahead of all other kids at the tourney and won the best player award as top scorer.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Fredrik

The final roster:

Goalies:
Khudobin
Kasutin
Defenders:
Biryukov
Belov
Karetin
Yemelin
Dzhugelia
Axenenko
Lyamin
Ibragimov
Forwards:
Voloshenko
Yunkov
****ikov
Parshin
Shirokov
Lisin
Plyuschev
Salnikov
Radulov
Malkin
Ogorodnikov
Kulemin

http://www.pressball.by/cgi-bin/pres...&rubric=hockey

Old
04-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Guillaume

I am very very surprised not to see Amakhin. May be he got injured or something. no real surprise for the rest (except may be Ogorodnikov instead of Zubov).
A bit sad not to see Anikeenko and Churilov.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Guillaume

Just to post the result of the first game (just finished). 8-4 against Norway.
1-0 Plyaushev (Radulov, Voloshenko)
2-0 Voloshenko (Belov)
3-2 ****ikov (parshin)
4-2 Radulov (Yunkov, Voloshenko)
5-2 Ogorodnikov (salnikov, Malkin)
6-2 Voloshenko (Dzhugelya)
7-2 Ogorodnikov (Kulemin)
8-2 Malkin

Old
04-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Jacob

Were any of those goals of the powerplay variety?

Old
04-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Were any of those goals of the powerplay variety?
Voloshenko's first and ****ikov's.

Old
04-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Guillaume

Based on the stats of the game, it seems that they shot 68 (!) times on the goal. Only two players (except the goalie) did not record a shot: Ibragimov and Aksenenko (the 4th defensive pair)...
Impressive but the defense seemed weak and khudobin wasn't too good. Let's hope it will change.

Old
04-13-2004, 01:37 AM
Jacob

Will anyone have videos on the net of some of the highlights? Particularly of some of the kids expected to be drafted in 2004. I ask because a lot of the current Ovechkin/Malkin videos circulating the net are from the last U18's.

Old
04-30-2004, 08:10 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Dmitri ****ikov

Old
05-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Jacob

Uh huh huh, huhhuhuhh.

Closed Thread