HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I got new leg pads!

Old
03-14-2008, 08:06 PM
nodq

vCash: 500
I got new leg pads!

Well, new to me. RBK 8k's. Used by the previous owner in only 2 games! So they are practically new. Got them pretty cheap too. These sell now for around $600 and i got them for $350 (with the matching thigh boards [off the 6k] which never came with the 8k. Guess trolling craigslist finally paid off.

These are replacing my old Heaton H6 stand up pads. Selling those on craigslist now.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 08:28 PM
eleventy

Sweet deal man. Enjoy them!

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Stephen

Hope you do better than Raycroft in them...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 01:24 AM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Hope you do better than Raycroft in them...
Damnit, you noticed. Yeah... while the color is cool, teh fact that they are Raycroft schemed is kind of a downer.

I prefer to refer to them as Vesa color schemed... although i know he doesn't use RBK.

By the way, if anyone in interested in my old pads, i got them on craiglist now. (San Francisco Bay Area)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/spo/606814420.html

Old
03-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Wow, nice job, those look brand new and you got them for $350

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 12:25 PM
towel_power88

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodq View Post
Damnit, you noticed. Yeah... while the color is cool, teh fact that they are Raycroft schemed is kind of a downer.

I prefer to refer to them as Vesa color schemed... although i know he doesn't use RBK.

By the way, if anyone in interested in my old pads, i got them on craiglist now. (San Francisco Bay Area)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/spo/606814420.html
acutally toskala does use RBK but they are the X-pulse Style just like brodeur and kolzig. but anyways i bought the same pads but in different colours and not as good as a deal as you and have used them for a year and i am really happy with them. they are a great pad

towel_power88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 04:06 PM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by towel_power88 View Post
acutally toskala does use RBK but they are the X-pulse Style just like brodeur and kolzig. but anyways i bought the same pads but in different colours and not as good as a deal as you and have used them for a year and i am really happy with them. they are a great pad
Whoa, my bad. He didn't use them here in San Jose. I think he used to use Vaughn.

Old
03-15-2008, 05:51 PM
eleventy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodq View Post
Whoa, my bad. He didn't use them here in San Jose. I think he used to use Vaughn.
He actually did use the RBK Xpulse in San Jose.

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 10:43 AM
MikeD

The extent of a pros goalie leg pads in comparison to a stock models ends with the graphics. In many cases it is JUST the graphics over an older style design pad that the goalie prefered to wear. What a Pro wears is RARELY anything like the stock model. One of the exceptions is Brodeur. His have very little mods to them.

Nice pads and great Deal!

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 04:04 PM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleventy View Post
He actually did use the RBK Xpulse in San Jose.
Oh stop it you.

Old
03-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
The extent of a pros goalie leg pads in comparison to a stock models ends with the graphics. In many cases it is JUST the graphics over an older style design pad that the goalie prefered to wear. What a Pro wears is RARELY anything like the stock model. One of the exceptions is Brodeur. His have very little mods to them.

Nice pads and great Deal!
I think Toskala and Ryan Miller also use the older Heaton 10 pad but with the X-Pulse graphic.

Brodeur actually uses a very very very old model (DR) and CCM/RBK just reskins it with whichever model they're selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodq
These sell now for around $600 and i got them for $350
Very nice deal, I'm trying to be good and not use my tax refund money on the new Vaughn Velocity senior pads.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:15 PM
bashbros8

there called goalie pads

bashbros8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:37 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

I call them exterior leg shields

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 10:29 AM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I think Toskala and Ryan Miller also use the older Heaton 10 pad but with the X-Pulse graphic.

Brodeur actually uses a very very very old model (DR) and CCM/RBK just reskins it with whichever model they're selling.
Yes, Brian Heaton designed the Helite series pad(with brody) which was very much like the DR that brody was wearing. Heaton added a few bells and whistles that were new to the goalie pad back in the late 90's such as an actual knee cradle, boot channel, calf wedge and skate heel straps to provide a better integration of the pad to the skate. It went a few steps above the DR of the time. It was this heaton line that took the goalie leg pad into the modern era, leaving the old Cooper-ish look and feel in the past. Mostly the feel and weight, while retaining the knee rolls.

It was then Pete Smith that totally revolutionized the pad with the Velocity line. Rather than spend the coin on hte latest Velo, check out Petes current work at smithhockey.com or for a line that has tweaked the latest Velo, making solid improvement on the design, look to the Simmon UL4. Strap positioning and materials used improve on the Velo for greater comfort, functionality and durability.

Last edited by MikeD: 03-20-2008 at 10:35 AM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote