HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: backyard deck and BBQ

Old
03-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
OT: backyard deck and BBQ

Okay folks, I need some help.

I'm looking at putting a deck into my backyard this summer and I'm also looking at getting a gas BBQ. I've got a couple of questions on each. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Deck
Composite or Cedar?

I've heard that composite is good because its maintenance free but its also more expensive. Also, in 5 years its not the kind of thing that you can just resurface like you can with wood. Anyone out there have any thoughts or suggestions here?

The BBQ
I've heard a whole lot about infrared grilling. It looks like really good technology and I've heard good things about Napoleon. Anyone have one of these things? Are they worth the money? I do a lot of steaks so the searing feature would be good for that but I'm wondering if it isn't just some gimmick.

Thanks for your help.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

I'm looking at putting a deck into my backyard this summer and I'm also looking at getting a gas BBQ. I've got a couple of questions on each. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Deck
Composite or Cedar?

I've heard that composite is good because its maintenance free but its also more expensive. Also, in 5 years its not the kind of thing that you can just resurface like you can with wood. Anyone out there have any thoughts or suggestions here?

As a carpenter by trade Trex offers a 25 year limited guarantee, its the way to go no doubt if you have the money. It looks great year after year, will retain its value if you ever want to sell the place and you wont have to redeck it in 10 years.

What size of deck are you looking at? the extra cost is not a whole lot compared to Cedar or Pressure treated, you will thank yourself later that you went with trex. Not to mention it comes "prestained" if you were going to go that route with cedar you will never have to treat the deck besides a powerwashing here or there.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
As a carpenter by trade Trex offers a 25 year limited guarantee, its the way to go no doubt if you have the money. It looks great year after year, will retain its value if you ever want to sell the place and you wont have to redeck it in 10 years.

What size of deck are you looking at? the extra cost is not a whole lot compared to Cedar or Pressure treated, you will thank yourself later that you went with trex. Not to mention it comes "prestained" if you were going to go that route with cedar you will never have to treat the deck besides a powerwashing here or there.
Will I have to replace the Trex in ten years? How long will it look good for?

Old
03-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post

These composite deck materials, how slippery are they when they get wet?

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Will I have to replace the Trex in ten years? How long will it look good for?
If your trex needs to be replaced in 10 years it will be under warranty, it could last up to 25 years or better so down the road you will save money because you will be redecking a traditional PT or Cedar deck in 10 to 15 years not to mention the upkeep a bit more steep if you treat your cedar or pt deck with stain or a sealer.

You should really go into a dealer though and talk to them see what they have to say what sort of cost difference you are looking at, they can give additional info aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
These composite deck materials, how slippery are they when they get wet?
No more slippery then a traditional deck, what happens often is if the deck is in an area that stays damp and doesnt get much sun it will develop a film overtop that can be quite slippery regardless of materials used to build. The key is to powerwash your deck to remove this film.

There is another route they have which will last forever but as far as athetics go is not so nice, they sell a vynil sort of decking that clicks then screws together I dont like it because its pretty much plastic.

Old
03-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Now I just need to find out about BBQs.

Old
03-15-2008, 05:07 PM
HabsHockey

Quote:
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Now I just need to find out about BBQs.
If you got the money and space, make a pit.

If you got less money buy a Webber. Good quality, personal experience.

I don't use propane anymore, i went back to charcoal. You just can't beat the taste of a charcoal grill. Webber has a nice charcoal/propane combo. Use the propane to light up the charcoal and the use the charcoal to cook with.

But charcoal always has the same problems, harder to get even cooking temps and it just keeps burning even after your done cooking.

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 05:39 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

great thread... I'm actually looking for a BBQ myself

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

Red Devil FTW!

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 06:05 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post

I don't use propane anymore, i went back to charcoal. You just can't beat the taste of a charcoal grill. Webber has a nice charcoal/propane combo. Use the propane to light up the charcoal and the use the charcoal to cook with.

But charcoal always has the same problems, harder to get even cooking temps and it just keeps burning even after your done cooking.
This reminds me of the neighbores last summer. A couple of girls and guys...they obviously had never touched a BBQ in their lives. They were quite nervous about the propane tank and it took them about 10 minutes to turn it on. But after a while I realized with the smell and the smoke tha they had put charcoal in a propane BBQ.

That was funny enough but what followed was just too good to be true. One of the guys tried turning it off, almost crawling to the closed lid BBQ, with the girls yelling directions from the 2nd floor appartment balcony. He only succeeded in to turning it to HIGH... Then after much yelling and waving he finaly turned it off(or was it one of the girls who came down? I dont realy remember that detail). End of story right?

No. By that time fire was comming out of the back of the thing and the smoke was everywhere. Then I see one of the girls throw a small 500ml plastic water bottle from the balcony. The guy(or girl...still not sure) picks up the bottle and still ducking arround like was trying to hand feed a lion procedes to start squirting water on the lid of the thing (in an effort to create steam?). And then I hear this girls voice from the balcony say "I think that's the kind of rocks the guys said not to buy." No **** Einstein....

Anyway. That made my summer.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Habber

If you're house is heated with natural gas, use it for your BBQ as well. Much more convenient as no tanks to fill, and no running out of propane halfway through cooking a big, juicy steak.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
If you're house is heated with natural gas, use it for your BBQ as well. Much more convenient as no tanks to fill, and no running out of propane halfway through cooking a big, juicy steak.
Or you just have two propane tanks, fill them both up when one goes out switch and fill up at next earliest convience.

Old
03-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Slick Nick

Unless the tech evolved incredibly in the past few years, the composite decks lose 90% of their color after a year or two... and you can't do any thing with it once its gone. While wood (specially cedar), if you take care of it, will enhance your backyard grealty. I strongly suggest you to pay an extra for Sikkens stain... it's expensive as hell, but it's simply the best product out there.. nothing to do with those regular outdor stains...

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

The Deck
Composite or Cedar?

The BBQ
I've heard a whole lot about infrared grilling. It looks like really good technology and I've heard good things about Napoleon. Anyone have one of these things? Are they worth the money? I do a lot of steaks so the searing feature would be good for that but I'm wondering if it isn't just some gimmick.

Thanks for your help.
Think about Fiberglass shell it's rock hard, easy to clean, It's what I got back home and its tough as nails

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 11:57 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Unless the tech evolved incredibly in the past few years, the composite decks lose 90% of their color after a year or two... and you can't do any thing with it once its gone. While wood (specially cedar), if you take care of it, will enhance your backyard grealty. I strongly suggest you to pay an extra for Sikkens stain... it's expensive as hell, but it's simply the best product out there.. nothing to do with those regular outdor stains...
The tech has evolved (although I've never heard of them ever losing color after a year or two). Have a composite deck for over two years and absolutely no change.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
This reminds me of the neighbores last summer. A couple of girls and guys...they obviously had never touched a BBQ in their lives. They were quite nervous about the propane tank and it took them about 10 minutes to turn it on. But after a while I realized with the smell and the smoke tha they had put charcoal in a propane BBQ.

That was funny enough but what followed was just too good to be true. One of the guys tried turning it off, almost crawling to the closed lid BBQ, with the girls yelling directions from the 2nd floor appartment balcony. He only succeeded in to turning it to HIGH... Then after much yelling and waving he finaly turned it off(or was it one of the girls who came down? I dont realy remember that detail). End of story right?

No. By that time fire was comming out of the back of the thing and the smoke was everywhere. Then I see one of the girls throw a small 500ml plastic water bottle from the balcony. The guy(or girl...still not sure) picks up the bottle and still ducking arround like was trying to hand feed a lion procedes to start squirting water on the lid of the thing (in an effort to create steam?). And then I hear this girls voice from the balcony say "I think that's the kind of rocks the guys said not to buy." No **** Einstein....

Anyway. That made my summer.
Wow that story made my night.

Seriously though you'd have to be pretty dense not to know how use a barbecue I can't believe how badly someone can mess that up. Someone could have been seriously hurt. The burners were probably clogged beyond belief and absolutely ruined.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
The tech has evolved (although I've never heard of them ever losing color after a year or two). Have a composite deck for over two years and absolutely no change.
I worked in a Rona for 5 years... and all the composite decks we had in stock would become grey after a winter or even after a rainy summer. Anyways... IMO a wooden deck / composite deck is the same as a genuine fireplace / TV with flames.

Old
03-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post

A few things:

1. I have a natural gas connection to my house so I'm going to be using it. Also, I can't put a pit in my backyard as it isn't allowed by the city.

2. The Napoleon that I'm looking at has a charcoal tray that you can buy. So I can cook charcoal in the bbq.

3. I've heard great things about Weber but I've heard great things about Napoleon too. They're known as "the Weber of Canada" and many people actually see them as superior now believe it or not.

4. What I really want to know is, how about infrared? I've heard its great but I don't know anyone who has one. I know that its been used in rotisseries for years but now they have searers in the grill itself. It lights instantly and heats to 1200 degrees in under a minute. Great for searing steaks. Then you move the steaks to the regular burners and cook according to taste.

Here's the grill I'm looking at:
http://www.napoleongrills.com/Gourme.../PT600RBI.html

Old
03-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I can't handle staining it every year.

Somebody told me though that if you just powerwash it a couple of times a year it will maintain a pretty decent colour. True?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Think about Fiberglass shell it's rock hard, easy to clean, It's what I got back home and its tough as nails
Does it look good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
What kind of composite did you go with?

Old
03-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Does it look good?
you can choose the color actually

Mine is cream but you can find better color

Old
03-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Slick Nick

I'd still go with a Weber. And a charcoal a cheaper charcoal grill for anything else than steak and brugers.

Old
03-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
you can choose the color actually

Mine is cream but you can find better color
Does it look like wood? Does it dent? How does it hold up to wear and tear?

Old
03-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I'd still go with a Weber. And a charcoal a cheaper charcoal grill for anything else than steak and brugers.
Weber doesn't have the infrared technology. They've just come out with their own kind of searer but its not quite the same thing. Its also brand new and I don't want to get into first generation technology with them. Its either infrared or no infrared. And if its infrared I'm going with Napoleon because they've used it for years.

You can click on the bottom right of this page http://www.napoleongrills.com/ "find out more about it" and you'll get a movie showing you what I'm looking at. Pretty cool stuff actually. 1800 degrees in 25 seconds. Same kind of technology that the restaurants have used for years. The TEC patent on it expired recently so that's why you're seeing it in home grills.

Old
03-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Iwishihadacup

No it does not look like wood but there is no hole in it. It is more like a big flat shield on four pillars. For his resistance, my house is 5 year old and It would still look like new if we would give a 15 minutes effort of cleaning it with a brush and pressure washer

Old
03-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
No it does not look like wood but there is no hole in it. It is more like a big flat shield on four pillars. For his resistance, my house is 5 year old and It would still look like new if we would give a 15 minutes effort of cleaning it with a brush and pressure washer
Interesting. I've never heard of fibreglass. I'll look into it. Thanks.