HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hitting Girls

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2008, 11:36 AM
FissionFire

vCash: 500
5'10" huh? Perfect high to line up those elbows for the idiots who take runs. A few elbows, a stick to the chiclets, suddenly people stop being idiots. Women aren't the only ones that deal with getting run. Just defend yourself the "old NHL" way and people will stop taking runs.

Old
03-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Heat McManus

Everybody out there is fair game.

I grew up playing in a league where 2 or 3 of the best players were females. You could see guys get annoyed that they were getting beat badly by girls and they got chippy about it. More so than if they were getting beat by guys? Probably.

Old
03-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Crosbyfan

Hit her as hard as the rules would allow, no more or less than anyone else, with no intent to injure, if it is a fully competitive league. If following the rules won't protect her, she shouldn't be there.

If, on the other hand, it is a rec league, or anything less than fully competitive, you should give her the same consideration you would allow anyone else of her frame, strength and stature.

Old
03-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

You can try to hit Stephanie Lemieux. She'll just score.

Old
03-15-2008, 12:35 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-PAX View Post
Make no mistake about it guys are always stronger and almost always better. By PeeWees girls should no longer playing with boys, and any parent allowing their girl to play Bantams and above with boys is very stupid.
At 11 and 12 y.o., lots of girls are as big as or bigger than their male counterparts. If I had a daughter who played hockey and she wanted to play Pee Wee with the boys, I'd have no problem with it as long as she wasn't significantly smaller than them. For me, ages 10 and 11 were the only years of my life that I was roughly the same size as most of my peers.

For most girls, I think there is a significant disadvantage size-wise by Bantam, but again, not for all of them. I had friends in eighth and ninth grade who were 5'8" and even taller, not tall-and-skinny types, either. Again, if I had a daughter who was equal in size to the boys, and she wanted to play boys' hockey, I'd have no problem with that. Being a girl only puts you at a higher risk of injury if you happen to be much smaller than the boys.

Also, not every area has a girls' team. Even if they do, some girls prefer playing with boys. A lot of places only have one girls' program in the area, and if the quality of play isn't good, a competitive, driven player might be better off playing with boys in a better league.

At the same time, my feeling with checking leagues and the "don't hit the girl" mentality is that if the girl doesn't want to be hit, she should be playing on a girls' team or in a non-checking league. I would guess that most girls playing in a checking situation want to be hit the same as the guys.

Old
03-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
In a tournament game this kid elbowed one of our girls in the face ...
The question should be "should boys be allowed to play?"

Old
03-15-2008, 01:48 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Downie View Post
There was a girl in my 13-16 roller league a few years ago. She was cross checking me and giving me a bunch of **** so I pushed back and she fell. All the parents and opposing players started yelling and complaining because I was the biggest kid in the league and she was a girl, but she had it coming to her.
Did you catch her skating behind the net and smoke her with both feet off the ice?

Old
03-15-2008, 02:36 PM
deanosaur

k why would people bring up non-contact leagues?
of course someone will get "accidently" rocked considering they arent expecting to get ran over being in a contact league.
everyone=fair game.
clean hits.
and if your hitting someone much smaller, watch out for them to take out your knees if they are smart haha.
all in all, if your playing contact you should know how to protect yourself or atleast stand up for yourself if you get elbowed in the face and since you could be wearin a cage.. get up a slash him back in the ankle haha

Old
03-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Devil Dancer

I'm 5'6 135, and I'll be the first to say I'm fair game because I choose to step on the ice. It shouldn't be any different for females.

Old
03-15-2008, 02:55 PM
capn89*

People can get bent out of shape if they choose, but males and females shouldn't be on the same sporting surface, ever. I'm all for women in sports, and have the utmost respect for female athletes, but I'm not going to be PC and not state the fact that genetically, men are bigger and stronger than women.

Old
03-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I played on a team with 3 female players. I played on a line with two of them! I was ready to jump anyone at anytime. haha. Even one of them was violent and all. I remember one of our players got hit from behind as he was coming off for a change and one of our girls went on the ice and jumped that guy.

If you play against a girl with skill, you kinda don't want to hit her, but you also don't want to get burned by her.

Girls can show that they are tough and would play in a boy's league, or men's league, but all in all, they really shouldn't be a loud to play in a boy's league, or men's league, unless they live in a small community that doesn't have enough girls, or women to make a team.

Old
03-15-2008, 03:12 PM
droller*

If the ladies wanna play with the boys they are fair game IMO. I've played against a couple girls through my rep hockey and they were generally little hack shows that ran their mouth that deserved to get crushed. Dirty crap like spearing legs and the classic pitch fork from behind into the balls.

She pulled that trick on a big boy on our team.. his name was Jason Lynch (ended up playing WHL in Spokane and Red Deer. The youngest brother of the 4 Lynch boys. They all played in the WHL). When he got his chance, he killed her open ice.

Myself... after a couple hacks I just got cocky . "Oh you like to play with the boys eh? Guess we'll see yah in the shower sunshine" gave her a slap on the ass and a wink.

Old
03-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
If the ladies wanna play with the boys they are fair game IMO. I've played against a couple girls through my rep hockey and they were generally little hack shows that ran their mouth that deserved to get crushed. Dirty crap like spearing legs and the classic pitch fork from behind into the balls.

She pulled that trick on a big boy on our team.. his name was Jason Lynch (ended up playing WHL in Spokane and Red Deer. The youngest brother of the 4 Lynch boys. They all played in the WHL). When he got his chance, he killed her open ice.

Myself... after a couple hacks I just got cocky . "Oh you like to play with the boys eh? Guess we'll see yah in the shower sunshine" gave her a slap on the ass and a wink.
I would spear you in the balls for doing something like that.

I had ONE guy try that last year on me. I'm not a dirty player, I have 2pim in the men's league this year, 0 in the women's.

Last year a guy came up and gave me a slap on the ass and went "See you later tonight princess." Next shift I drove the net and tapped one in. He skated by and made a few more comments. Next time I was out on the ice with him and I was in front of the net he kept grabbing my pants and going "Aww sweetheart, what's wrong? Want me so badly, you can't wait?"

Elbow to the chops shut him up.

03-15-2008, 03:31 PM
deanosaur

im just straight up cocky haha
Ti-girl what if lets say.. one of the guys scored a goal and picked upthe puck and pretended to sign it and gave it to ya? hahaha
i can honestly say ive done that. i love goal celebrations, i might be the most hated guy in my league for them.

Old
03-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Ti-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
im just straight up cocky haha
Ti-girl what if lets say.. one of the guys scored a goal and picked upthe puck and pretended to sign it and gave it to ya? hahaha
i can honestly say ive done that. i love goal celebrations, i might be the most hated guy in my league for them.
That's just obnoxious, making sexual comments to female players is harrasment.

I'm cocky, but Im not an *******.

Old
03-15-2008, 03:37 PM
deanosaur

its not a sexual comment.
its just more like a.. a way of .. showing i run the show in the league as one might say.. haha
i do it for the fun of it. it gets the other team going.

Old
03-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Ti-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
its not a sexual comment.
its just more like a.. a way of .. showing i run the show in the league as one might say.. haha
i do it for the fun of it. it gets the other team going.
And would you tell a male player "See you in the showers?"

Old
03-15-2008, 03:46 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
oh i thought you meant about what i said.
k then ya it is haha
but theres kind of a difference.. as bad as this sounds.. you do end up seeing your own team in the showers anyways so... hahaha

Last edited by deanosaur: 03-15-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old
03-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Sens Army*

Why is she playing with boys then?

Hitting is part of hockey and she must get over it

Old
03-15-2008, 03:55 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
I would. Nothing screws with a guys head and throws him off his game more than false homosexuality. Some of the guys are just too afraid to come within 5 feet of you after that. Male homophobia is hilarious and can be a very effective way to mess with a guy. Pretty much if being an obnoxious jerk and making a sexual comment will throw my opponent, male or female, off their game and give me an edge I'll be doing it. I do whatever it takes, short of trying to hurt people, to win. Off the ice, I'm nothing like the way I am on it. I'd never do something like that anywhere else. Once the games on, the gloves come off.

Old
03-15-2008, 04:00 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
I would. Nothing screws with a guys head and throws him off his game more than false homosexuality. Some of the guys are just too afraid to come within 5 feet of you after that. Male homophobia is hilarious and can be a very effective way to mess with a guy. Pretty much if being an obnoxious jerk and making a sexual comment will throw my opponent, male or female, off their game and give me an edge I'll be doing it. I do whatever it takes, short of trying to hurt people, to win. Off the ice, I'm nothing like the way I am on it. I'd never do something like that anywhere else. Once the games on, the gloves come off.
you are absolutely hilarious hahaha well said.

Old
03-15-2008, 04:02 PM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89 View Post
People can get bent out of shape if they choose, but males and females shouldn't be on the same sporting surface, ever. I'm all for women in sports, and have the utmost respect for female athletes, but I'm not going to be PC and not state the fact that genetically, men are bigger and stronger than women.

Wow, you sound pretty "old-fashioned" to me. While i actually agree that for the most part, men are bigger, stronger, faster, if a girl can compete, I say let her play.

Old
03-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
That's just obnoxious, making sexual comments to female players is harrasment.
if you cant take trash talk you shouldnt be playing hockey

Old
03-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Ti-girl

I trash talk, but I wouldn't go up to a male player, grab his junk and go "See you in the showers."

**** that.

Old
03-15-2008, 04:16 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
I trash talk, but I wouldn't go up to a male player, grab his junk and go "See you in the showers."

**** that.
i would pay to see that hahahahhah
that would really mess his head thats forsure... hahaha

Closed Thread