HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Will the Jets be better than the Leafs next season?

Old
04-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Conflicted Habs fan
Grind Grind Grind

vCash: 1000
"Will the Jets be better than the Leafs next season?" Correct answer is: who knows and don't care. Second question: "Will the Jets be better than themselves next season"? Correct answer is "yes"

Conflicted Habs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 10:10 AM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
I think Maurice was rather desperate this season, leading to some poor choices. He's shown flashed of decent coaching before, so hopefully he can recapture that as the team starts to perform better.
Maurice should be able to get this team to perform well on 5 on 5 since he has a strong history of doing that. What he needs to do is keep his hands out of the cookie jar with regards to all aspects of special teams and allow Kompton to do what he wants. That and hold players accountable for poor discipline.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 10:22 AM
Couchcaptain

I would not like to say it, but after watching Leafs playoff games, i have to say it, damn they play with some huge confidence! They just keep surprising on every turn.
The effort what they give on the ice, iv'e not really seen in Jets games.
They are extremely well coached bunch of players, the difference to Jets in that department is just staggering.
So, i don't see it happening without major moves ( goaltender+ coaching first). Paul Maurice is just loser, he will not turn into winner anymore, not in this stage of his career.

Couchcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Actually, I think that Maurice's bigger problem on the PP has been using Wheeler on the half wall, and sometimes Perreault has been ineffective there. Wheeler just isn't a natural passer and playmaker, and his shot is only average.
Did you forget the sarcasm smiley here, or do you really think Wheeler isn't a natural playmaker? Because if he isn't a natural playmaker, he's doing a pretty good job of faking it.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 02:13 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Did you forget the sarcasm smiley here, or do you really think Wheeler isn't a natural playmaker? Because if he isn't a natural playmaker, he's doing a pretty good job of faking it.
I think Wheeler is fine as a playmaker, but moreso when he is moving and creating space. I don't think he's particularly effectively when staying still (e.g. on the half wall) and has to make quick puck decisions and accurate passes. The PP just doesn't seem to function as well when he's in that position. He's also not a great shooter from that position.

That doesn't mean he doesn't set up a lot of offense in other ways, but for a PP to function well you need really sharp play from the half-wall, and I don't think he's our best player in that role.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:18 PM
Howard Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchcaptain View Post
I would not like to say it, but after watching Leafs playoff games, i have to say it, damn they play with some huge confidence! They just keep surprising on every turn.
The effort what they give on the ice, iv'e not really seen in Jets games.
They are extremely well coached bunch of players, the difference to Jets in that department is just staggering.
So, i don't see it happening without major moves ( goaltender+ coaching first). Paul Maurice is just loser, he will not turn into winner anymore, not in this stage of his career.
I also hate to admit it, but damn, the Leafs looked really good last night. I was thinking about the comparison to the Jets during the game, and honestly I just don't know if we are as good right now. Maybe playoff hockey has energized them and would us as well, but they looked really well coached with some excellent effort.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:45 PM
Saintb

the leafs d looks really mobile. plus kadri has turned into a player. hate the guy though. and the coach just has a way of making the team confident, with the right amount of swagger. we will see if it lasts though..

Saintb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 03:54 PM
ecolad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I think Wheeler is fine as a playmaker, but moreso when he is moving and creating space. I don't think he's particularly effectively when staying still (e.g. on the half wall) and has to make quick puck decisions and accurate passes. The PP just doesn't seem to function as well when he's in that position. He's also not a great shooter from that position.

That doesn't mean he doesn't set up a lot of offense in other ways, but for a PP to function well you need really sharp play from the half-wall, and I don't think he's our best player in that role.

I think that you are absolutely on the mark with this observation Whileee - but it does beg the question - which player on our roster does show an aptitude for the half-wall? The only one that appears to have the necessary skillsets and playstyle is IMO Petan. His biggest strength is his ability to read what is happening and then, under control, draw a defender out of position before making his pass - however, he appears to have been marginalized and almost dismissed by Maurice. I had initially hoped that Ehlers might learn some of these techniques but he too struggles with making good plays while stationary. When a defender pressures him, his natural inclination is to take flight in an effort to create space or to quickly make the safe pass down low or along the boards back to Buff. Ehlers seldom tries an attacking pass into the strong side slot or through a lane in the defenders to the weak side teammate.

ecolad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 04:55 PM
AnonoJet

I don't really care how we stack up vs the Leafs, but here goes anyway. I think we have a character problem throughout the Jet's organization. We significantly underperform and do not live up to the potential of the players we have. Until the pressure is off, like we saw at the end of this year.

Just like the Leafs used to do. Then they made drastic and comprehensive management changes, which seemed to fundamentally alter the personality of that organization. Now you can see the results. What they are doing is impressive, and this is coming from a true-blue Leaf hater, but you have to respect what they are accomplishing.

There is just something missing from the Jet's that seems to have us stuck as under-performers. Some kind of organization-wide character flaw. So until we clean house at the top level, I fear that we under-perform across the board for the foreseeable future. I would love to be wrong about this, and if Chevy actually does something to address our terrible goal-tending and lack of defensive depth, I would have more hope. Time to wait and see on that.

So ya, we will be dealing with the Leafs outperforming the Jets for a while.

AnonoJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 05:55 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonoJet View Post
I don't really care how we stack up vs the Leafs, but here goes anyway. I think we have a character problem throughout the Jet's organization. We significantly underperform and do not live up to the potential of the players we have. Until the pressure is off, like we saw at the end of this year.

Just like the Leafs used to do. Then they made drastic and comprehensive management changes, which seemed to fundamentally alter the personality of that organization. Now you can see the results. What they are doing is impressive, and this is coming from a true-blue Leaf hater, but you have to respect what they are accomplishing.

There is just something missing from the Jet's that seems to have us stuck as under-performers. Some kind of organization-wide character flaw. So until we clean house at the top level, I fear that we under-perform across the board for the foreseeable future. I would love to be wrong about this, and if Chevy actually does something to address our terrible goal-tending and lack of defensive depth, I would have more hope. Time to wait and see on that.

So how do you explain 2014/15 when we played hard and confident most of the time. We where also very exciting and ran to the playoffs with this same management/coaching team?

I will give you my theory, it was the one year we had above league average goaltending for most of the year (Hutch early to mid and Pavs at the end).

Give us a goalie this team has confidence in and a couple of wins early and the body language will substantially change imo. The Leafs have received excellent goaltending this year and it's allowed them to go out there and play fast aggressive hockey knowing that there goalie will bail out any turnovers or miscues. Confidence is infectious.

Old
04-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecolad View Post
I think that you are absolutely on the mark with this observation Whileee - but it does beg the question - which player on our roster does show an aptitude for the half-wall? The only one that appears to have the necessary skillsets and playstyle is IMO Petan. His biggest strength is his ability to read what is happening and then, under control, draw a defender out of position before making his pass - however, he appears to have been marginalized and almost dismissed by Maurice. I had initially hoped that Ehlers might learn some of these techniques but he too struggles with making good plays while stationary. When a defender pressures him, his natural inclination is to take flight in an effort to create space or to quickly make the safe pass down low or along the boards back to Buff. Ehlers seldom tries an attacking pass into the strong side slot or through a lane in the defenders to the weak side teammate.
I agree. Petan has a lot of potential. He has the hands and vision and patience. Laine is probably going to be the best. Great hands and vision and patience and shot. I'd prefer Scheifele or even Little over Wheeler on the half wall. I think Ehlers will improve and be proficient. Perreault got better later in the year, but I don't think he's ideal for that role. When your PP struggles, you really have to look at the players on the half wall. That's probably why Maurice finally moved Wheeler to the point, but Buff is not suited to the half wall at all.

Old
04-18-2017, 06:26 PM
Eyeseeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonoJet View Post

Anonojet you are in my head
Until we clean house I just don't see any change
89 points maybe ??

Eyeseeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 11:20 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
So how do you explain 2014/15 when we played hard and confident most of the time. We where also very exciting and ran to the playoffs with this same management/coaching team?

I will give you my theory, it was the one year we had above league average goaltending for most of the year (Hutch early to mid and Pavs at the end).

Give us a goalie this team has confidence in and a couple of wins early and the body language will substantially change imo. The Leafs have received excellent goaltending this year and it's allowed them to go out there and play fast aggressive hockey knowing that there goalie will bail out any turnovers or miscues. Confidence is infectious.
We also had Lee Stempniak for the final stretch. Do not underestimate the Power of Lee.

nobody important is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 11:25 PM
thejaf7

I'd like to see an all healthy line up

thejaf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 07:18 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
We also had Lee Stempniak for the final stretch. Do not underestimate the Power of Lee.
How could I have possibly forgotten Lee. He single handedly walked into that dysfunctional room and straightened out all those poor character players we have

Old
04-19-2017, 09:01 AM
jorbjorb
hello.

The leafs are keeping up with the caps right now. I don't think the jets will be close next season unfortunately.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 08:10 AM
Checker61

Unless. We address goal tending Toronto is way ahead. Also their young guys Mathews Nylander , Marner , Reilly probably outclass our young guns.

Checker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 08:45 AM
JetsUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker61 View Post
Unless. We address goal tending Toronto is way ahead. Also their young guys Mathews Nylander , Marner , Reilly probably outclass our young guns.
Agree about goaltending. But I think our young guys stack up pretty well to those 4.

JetsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 04:51 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

vCash: 50
Quote:
They crush us in goaltending and coaching but past that I am not willing to concede anything. Scheifele, Trouba, Morrissey, Ehlers, Connor, and Laine can compete with any young core.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Jets have more depth of top end talent.

Scheifele
Laine
Ehlers
Trouba
Morrissey
Connor (I think we have forgotten how good a prospect he is).

In the next tier they have Brown, Hyman, Leipsic, but the Jets have Roslovic, Armia, Dano, Petan who are in general still developing, but with good potential.

Old
04-24-2017, 07:22 AM
Peggy

Quote:
Way ahead?
Outclass?
Strong words for another 50/50 team

Our vets gives us a separation
They need to step up next year
And a healthy defensive squad would be a real game changer(but maybe not if they keep running man to man)

Laine has scored 5 goals in 2 games against Toronto
and both games went to OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
The leafs are keeping up with the caps right now. I don't think the jets will be close next season unfortunately.
Yet for the past two seasons(maybe 3) we've beaten Chicago
I understand thats the regular season and not the playoffs,
but Toronto won 2 games against Washington in round 1

Last edited by Peggy: 04-24-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 09:35 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
There is a lot of recency bias in this thread. The LEafs played good down the stretch and against Washington in the playoffs.............. But they ate still the Leafs.

BOLD PREDICTION......... the Leafs change colors in the fall and end up far out of the playoffs bottom 7 teams in the league.

Jets make playoffs if they get league average goalies.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 09:39 AM
jorbjorb
hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
Way ahead?
Outclass?
Strong words for another 50/50 team

Our vets gives us a separation
They need to step up next year
And a healthy defensive squad would be a real game changer(but maybe not if they keep running man to man)

Laine has scored 5 goals in 2 games against Toronto
and both games went to OT

Yet for the past two seasons(maybe 3) we've beaten Chicago
I understand thats the regular season and not the playoffs,
but Toronto won 2 games against Chicago in round 1
Yeah honestly the only piece missing is a better goalie. Anderson played beast for the leafs.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Every time I've watched the Leafs this season, I've been impressed. It's all about the way they're being coached to get after the puck and pressure the play. Their D game is as bad or worse than the Jets, but they're offensive game is relentless.

And of course their goaltending is well above ours.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 01:45 PM

The benchmark shouldn't be a first round exit team. Doesn't matter if we are as good as the leafs if we don't get better than a bunch of other teams

51 is offline   Reply With Quote