HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2007-2008 Euro/NCAA/CHL/USHL Prospects Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
be patient with Fish daddy

Old
03-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
0:19 seconds in. Best example of Pac making space for Porter and allowing him to score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIMlAAHbCPQ
Bring back Alizée!!!

Old
03-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
By some of my source yea somewhat! I think that's pretty reliable tho so far it always been accurate so, it seems like Montreal Canadiens arent as high on Fischer as they once was. It's said that the 4th element on Hossa trade was him and not a first rounder and that he was involved in most trades around the deadline.

I really like Fischer tho and hope he gets better i like his reach alot and one on one he's really good. Still it's tough to trade a guy that you went off the board to pick him.
Still think that his value is so much better for us than it could ever be for any team. Especially since other scouts know Timmins value and if it's known that he wants to trade his first round pick, something has to be wrong with him.

Fischer is not struggling. His progression is slower than expected and his ceiling might not be as high......

Still, I've rarely been impressed more by a d-man in a development camp than his work 1 on 1. Obviously, he'll need to bulk up big time....but isn't the case for a majority of young players. Seems that it's the reason why Datsyuk and Zetterberg weren't chosen sooner...Bulking up is something that a young player can do. Having a good hockey mind, might be more difficult. And I still believe he has that defensive side of it. Now needs to develop the offensive one.

So no reason to panic and send him packing. We have tons of d-men that could step in earlier for him. And there's only 6 d-men in a lineup. Typical case of a player that might stay his 4 years in school and at least 2 years in Hamilton. I understand the whole UFA issue but still...it will take what it will take. Pretty easy to see why we ended up with this kid. Would not have been my choice by any means, but still, he might surprise a lot of people.

Again, if this kid would play in Juniors, we would not have the same conversation. This kid would have much better ratings....

Old
03-14-2008, 08:35 PM
kostitsyn1489

The problem is it's really tough to have a first rounder making the team at 24 yo. I wouldnt say the guy bust especially for a d-man, but the gy plays his first NHL season and already he has to negociate as UFA as it was his rookie season he signs short term and once it expires he goes UFA or pretty close to be.

I wish he could speed up his progression a bit thats for sure. He was and still is a project. I like his upside alot and it's easy to see what Timmins saw in him.

Defensively he looks really good. To me he looks like a lesser Nik Lidstrom. That might be much, but once he bulks up whch he prolly will, they'll be similar height and weight. The way Fischer plays defense is similar to what Lidstrom does so well. Tall guy, but not overly physical, just really smart guy out there and i do thik that he's got offensive skills. As good as Lidstrom? I really doubt it, but once he gets stronger and play more of an offensive role i see him develope in a good 2 way defencemen maybe a la Redden a couple of years ago. Maybe a bit more defensive and less offensive, but we'll see. He's got drafted as an offensive guy, i hadnt seen him play before he got drafted, but he surely isnt a one dimensional defensive guy. I saw some flash of his offensive skills and love the way he breaks out.

I surely want him to stay, but as you said if Timmins wants to trade him something has to be wrong, he really has to be disapointed with the way he's improving. Especially for a guy that you labaled as project from day 1.

Old
03-14-2008, 09:39 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Pacioretty with 2 assists tonight in a 10-1 blowout in game 1 of their series with UNO.

McDonagh I heard didn't have a good night, Wisconsin lost/losing 3-0 and I know that one goal was directly McDonagh's fault. He had the puck behind his own end and tried to pass it to himself off the back of the net but the SCSU player got and fed it out front for a goal that made it 2-0.

Watching Fischer, 0-0 game going to OT which is just about to start. He's been solid although he was poor on a 1 on 1 late in the game where he went for the puck and missed, the forward got a good shot off but Minnesota's goalie has been impressive.

Also Clarkson won 1-0 over Colgate.

All these games were game 1 of a best of 3 so Paquet and Pacioretty stand a good chance of moving on to the next round so far.

Old
03-15-2008, 07:06 AM
All-Star

Quote:
I surely want him to stay, but as you said if Timmins wants to trade him something has to be wrong, he really has to be disapointed with the way he's improving. Especially for a guy that you labaled as project from day 1.
You have to give to receive, so these trade rumors don't have me worried. The Habs obviously see a few guys as being ahead of Fisher in our prospect pool, but that should come as no surprise to anyone. The Habs obviously believe Fisher has some value, or they wouldn't have offered him up for Hossa. He probably has a few years ahead of him before he turns pro, so I'm not worried at all at this point; he's still developing physically, so some awkwardness is definitely to be expected...

Old
03-15-2008, 11:04 AM
mtl_felix

At the end of this article by Mathias Brunet, it says that the Habs are trying to get JT Wyman under contract soon in hopes to send him to Hamilton.

Old
03-15-2008, 12:28 PM
kostitsyn1489

I looked at le journal de Montreal a bit yesterday and noticed that Kootenay was right up there with the best in their conference. I was a bit surprised since the last time i looked at the standing thy were a bit farther away from the top so today i decided to look at their record in the last little while and it's impressive.

They are 8-0-1-1 in their last 10 games winning their last 4.

Since Ben Maxwell return on February 1st they are 13-2-1-2 while they were 5-6-1-1 in January.

Ben Maxwell himself got 6 goals 10 assists -1 in 18 games.

With 2 games remaining both against Ryan White's Calgary Hitmen they are 3 points away from the lead held by those Hitmen. At some point this year it was a bit of a reach for them to be considered as contender for the Mem cup, but they sure are more then ever especially with Ben Maxwell in the line-up they ar eone of the good team in the dub. It wont be easy to get out of the dub that's for sure with tons of team that are pretty close in the standing. 5 teams within 3 pts in the east and 3 teams within 4 pts in the west. East, where both white and maxwell play, look really tight, just about anybody could win it and it wouldnt be a surprise.

Don't consider Kootenay out of the race just yet!

Old
03-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_felix View Post
At the end of this article by Mathias Brunet, it says that the Habs are trying to get JT Wyman under contract soon in hopes to send him to Hamilton.
That's a good news

Old
03-15-2008, 02:53 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
P.K. Subban 2007/2008 Season Stats

First off can we add CHL to the title.

Secondly here are some numbers.

#6 P.K. Subban

GP: 58 (68)
G: 8 (9)
A: 38 (45)
P: 46 (54)
PIM: 100 (117)
+/-: +19 (+22)
PPG: 4 (5)
SHG: 0 (0)

Awards and Recognitions:
- Played on Team Canada's 2007-2008 World Junior Team
- Named to OHL Eastern All-Star Team
- Named to Canada vs Russia Series OHL Roster
- 9th in Team Scoring (1st Among Defenseman)
- 90th in League Scoring (14th Among Defenseman)

Comments: Overall though his stats were expected to be better. P.K. missed some time cause of the WJC and really worked on his defense which was much improved. The reason his PPG are down are because teams realize he is so dangerous so they mainly cover him.

Strengths:
- Fantastic Speed
- Great Stickhandler
- Very Physical
- Big Boomer of a Shot (Says he thinks he can hit around 96)

Weaknesses:
- Defensive Positioning (Speed will only get you so far in the NHL)
- Better Disciplined (Can take some stupid penalties on his off-nights)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rSisapSusA0 - Habs Developmental Camp (Amazing!)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ebwfkq5r3rU - Logan Couture vs P.K. Subban (P.K. owned him)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LObJ12SiGPY&feature=related - Jamie McGinn vs P.K.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3VfYc8USMqA&feature=related - Hardest Shot (94.8 was best - He said afterwards he can get atleast 3 or 4 more on that)

Last edited by chaosrevolver: 03-15-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old
03-15-2008, 06:48 PM
kostitsyn1489

Good stuff ChaosRevolver!

I'll buy tonight's game between maxwell and white. I'll try and make some report of the game later tonight. I just hope my internet wont have problem tho. It acted weird all day.

Anything i should keep track of outside of maxwell white alzner and plante?

Edit: After looking at roster there are Micheal Stone and Ian Schultz as 08 draftee and also John Negrin who is pretty good IMO. He impressed me alot at the U-18 last year.

Last edited by kostitsyn1489: 03-15-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old
03-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Good stuff ChaosRevolver!

I'll buy tonight's game between maxwell and white. I'll try and make some report of the game later tonight. I just hope my internet wont have problem tho. It acted weird all day.

Anything i should keep track of outside of maxwell white alzner and plante?

Edit: After looking at roster there are Micheal Stone and Ian Schultz as 08 draftee and also John Negrin who is pretty good IMO. He impressed me alot at the U-18 last year.
Have a good game! Try to pay attention to Stone and Schultz especially Schultz. I always thought he was slow as hell, seems he's not, but this kid might possibly turn out as a Milan Lucic. He might not be speedy but he's definately tough as nails. Keep an eye on him.

Thanks.

Old
03-15-2008, 07:07 PM
kostitsyn1489

Yea Schultz look quite good. I never really saw him play, but read a little about him, some say he's slow as hell some say he isnt... We'll see i guess. If he's got decent speed i could see the Habs draft him in 3rd round maybe as they did with White.

Old
03-15-2008, 09:03 PM
kostitsyn1489

0-0 after 1. Pretty tight game, looks like playoff for sure. Really intense and basicaly no space in offensive zone.

White fought at the end of the period, just saw the end of it, but it looks like he lost that fight.

I didnt see much of him overall, but he's got one or 2 really good shift where his line with Schultz got some good scoring chances. I dont think his speed really is an issue, he looks pretty quick out there and he's won most of his battle around the board and he won all of his face off i think.

Maxwell struggled a bit, he tried to deke Alzner at some point, but Alzner stopped him really easily. He had trouble to get in the zone. On the PP he played the Point, he failed at blocking the puck at the blue line early on, looked like a basic play, but Himen almost scored of that turnover and kootenay had to take a penality. He plays with Bailey and Strickland on the 2nd line. It seemed like Maxwell had to do much of the work on that line. I'd like to see him play with a guy like Jacquemet.

16 yo Braydon McNabb played great. He was pretty good in his own end playing physical in most situation and was pretty effective on the rush.

I like the way John Negrin plays as well. He's got really good wheels, he reminded me of Niedermayer by the way he played. He was joining the rush alot, but was never out of position, always back to defence in time.

While Alzner and Plante was on the ice Kootenay didnt do much, both were really steady in their own zone, except one awful turnover by Plante on the breakout that led to the ebst chance of the first, but overall they didnt allow much to Kootenay.

I'm pretty sure some team will sign Dan Dasilva after the season. It's his last season and the guy has got skills. He was the best player on the ice by a far margin, he also plays the PK.

2nd period

1-0 Calgary 25-0-0-0 while leading after 2.

Weird call early in the period on Kootenay and Calgary took advantage of it. Pretty nice feed by White at the high circle and Nixon made a nice shot for the goal.

Maxwell has been better this period that's for sure. Especially late in the period he looks a bit more dangerous, but it seems like he misses that split second to really get a good chances. Hopefully his injury fully heals soon.

White also been pretty good in the 2nd. He's pretty good in his own end, he's been pretty effective to get the puck out of the zone and in offense he was always dangerous.

Stone was really effective on the PP. He's got good ice time on the PP and he isnt scared to use his shot which is pretty good.

Alzner is NHL ready, no surprise for anybody, but he really is. He's dominant out there, when he's on the ice he really controls the play. Cant wait to see him in the NHL.

3rd period

4-0 Calgary

1 goal by White second point of the night. A breakaway goal after quite a lucky bounce near the red line and he scored five hole. White has been pretty effective in the 3rd as every hitmen protecting that lead.

I liked what i saw from Schultz, he isnt slow at all to me. He made a few nice play to get his line good scoring chances. I'd see him getting drafted around 45-50 maybe.

Nixon was really good in offensive zone, always seems to find good shooting lane.

Not a great game for Maxwell that's for sure, couldnt get break and wasnt too effective in offense. But that was he case for pretty much every players for Kootenay. Calgary was amazing in their own end and no wonder why they are first in the conference.

Here's the box score
http://whl.ca/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1005131

Last edited by kostitsyn1489: 03-15-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old
03-15-2008, 09:11 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Michigan wins 2-1 so they sweep their series and go on to the next round. Pacioretty I don't know if he had any pts, but he was thrown out of the game for fighting so he will likely be suspended for game 1 on friday night.

Clarkson lost 4-3 no pts for Paquet, so the series is tied, game 3 on sunday.

Last I saw wisconsin was tied 3-3 in the 3rd, win and they stay alive, lose and their season could be over as they are on the bubble for the frozen four tournament.

Minnesota is tied 1-1 late in the 3rd, same situation, win and they play tomorrow, lose and their season could be over as they are one or two spots below Wisconsin. Fischer has looked good in his own end.

Also have the maxwell/white game on my labtop. White's fight with kurceba was short, not sure if any punches really landed. Maxwell wasn't too impressive again, looked more asleep at times to me.

Edit: Wisconsin lost in OT, so McDonagh's season could be over, will have to wait to see if they make the frozen four, doesn't look good but trying to figure out the brackets for the tournament is not easy.

Minnesota wins in ot, Fischer was on the ice for the goal, Minn stays alive as the series shifts back home for Fischer's team.

White had a good game, scored a nice goal on a breakaway, had an assist, a fight and was all over the ice. Hitmen win their conference. Maxwell not very noticeable tonight, second time I've seen him lately and he didn't look too good in either game.

Last edited by montreal: 03-15-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old
03-16-2008, 12:11 AM
jockstrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Michigan wins 2-1 so they sweep their series and go on to the next round. Pacioretty I don't know if he had any pts, but he was thrown out of the game for fighting so he will likely be suspended for game 1 on friday night.

Clarkson lost 4-3 no pts for Paquet, so the series is tied, game 3 on sunday.

Last I saw wisconsin was tied 3-3 in the 3rd, win and they stay alive, lose and their season could be over as they are on the bubble for the frozen four tournament.

Minnesota is tied 1-1 late in the 3rd, same situation, win and they play tomorrow, lose and their season could be over as they are one or two spots below Wisconsin. Fischer has looked good in his own end.

Also have the maxwell/white game on my labtop. White's fight with kurceba was short, not sure if any punches really landed. Maxwell wasn't too impressive again, looked more asleep at times to me.

Edit: Wisconsin lost in OT, so McDonagh's season could be over, will have to wait to see if they make the frozen four, doesn't look good but trying to figure out the brackets for the tournament is not easy.

Minnesota wins in ot, Fischer was on the ice for the goal, Minn stays alive as the series shifts back home for Fischer's team.

White had a good game, scored a nice goal on a breakaway, had an assist, a fight and was all over the ice. Hitmen win their conference. Maxwell not very noticeable tonight, second time I've seen him lately and he didn't look too good in either game.
Quick question for u montreal... I know Fischer plays second pairing on the pp but is he first pairing on 5-5? And will he will be first pairing pp next year? I guess he is turning more defensive than they said during draft day, he was supposed to be an offensive defenmen...

Old
03-16-2008, 08:12 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Mcdonagh last 26gm (2g-1a-3pts-22pim) is it me or mcdonagh was hyped at the draft as an offensive defensemen? Btw in my limited viewing of him at the u-18 i never tought of mcdonagh as an offensive defensemen...

Old
03-16-2008, 08:28 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Mcdonagh last 26gm (2g-1a-3pts-22pim) is it me or mcdonagh was hyped at the draft as an offensive defensemen? Btw in my limited viewing of him at the u-18 i never tought of mcdonagh as an offensive defensemen...
Two-way defenceman. He's no Andrei Markov, but he's a good passer. But I'm sure someone who has seen McDonagh more than me can give a better scouting report.

Old
03-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
McDo was never drafted as an offensive defensemen. Like WTK mentioned already, was hyped as one of the most complete, 2-way d-man with good mobility, good shot, good awareness in both zones, but was not drafted as a Sanguinetti or as a Shattenkirk.

Depending of the Weber's, Subban's and Carle's progression, we do not have an true offensive defenceman in our system. Would love to see Korneev get a shot but I wouldn't hold my breath on this...

From reading Montreal's reports and for having seen 3 games lately, I think that McDo's youth and inexperience finally got to him. Looked much better at the start and in the middle of the year than he did in the last part of the year. Not saying he was bad, but showed signs of fatigue and being overmatched in some occasions.

But all year long, coaches keep repeating how it was a great accomplishment for him to be used the way he was for a young kid. Usually, as good as you are, kids take a backseat, he didn't. Good overall year for him!

Old
03-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Two-way defenceman. He's no Andrei Markov, but he's a good passer. But I'm sure someone who has seen McDonagh more than me can give a better scouting report.
Yeah, he was always labeled as a two way defenseman. At the U-18, that's what he was, and I guess he's still the same player.

Old
03-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
You have to remember that McDonagh is an 18 year old that came right out of high school and played this season in possibly the best conference in the NCAA. Erik Johson was chosen #1 overall in 2006 and had less goals than McDonagh as a freshman for Minnesota. I know Johnson had far more assists but Johnson was hyped up a lot more as an offensive Dman and received a lot more PP opportunity. My point is just that it is tough for freshman Dmen to pile up the points. Most of those schools have experienced Seniors and Juniors (fully developed men) in those key roles. I expect McDonagh's offensive numbers to improve as a 19 year old sophomore next year as he'll be a year older and I also expect him to make Team USA at the WJC.

Old
03-16-2008, 02:40 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockstrap View Post
Quick question for u montreal... I know Fischer plays second pairing on the pp but is he first pairing on 5-5? And will he will be first pairing pp next year? I guess he is turning more defensive than they said during draft day, he was supposed to be an offensive defenmen...

Fischer plays on the 2nd PP unit sometimes, other times he's not on the PP at all, although he has spent a good part of the season on the 2nd PP unit. Their PP has struggled all year so the coach has mixed it up a bit here and there. Fischer has spent all season on the top pairing 5 on 5 and is on the ice when the team is trying to hold a lead in the last minute of the game. He's also on the 1st PK unit.

Next year we'll see but I assume Fischer will remain on the top pairing. he's going to lose his D partner as Peltier is a senior. I know that Aarron Ness is coming in next season and he should get a lot of ice time as he's an offenisve D and Minnesota needs more offense from their blueline.

Quote:
I saw McDonagh play in high school for CDH and didn't think too much of his offensive game. I don't recall him being touted as an offensive D, but more of a solid all round type. I've seen him a bunch of times this year and I like what I've seen, he's physical but not overly physical to the point where he's taking himself out of position. He is very poised with the puck which is impressive to see in a true freshman, skates well with good speed, passes the puck well, decent shot, pinches in at good times.

I think that he will be one of those defensmen that does just about everything well, nothing really great. A smart, hard working defensemen that has all the physical tools (skating/speed/strength/taking the body), someone that is a regular on the PK but at this point I don't expect him to be a big point producer or a main PP guy. Although that could change over time as we'll need to see how he continues to progress since he's so young.

Old
03-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
... Depending of the Weber's, Subban's and Carle's progression, we do not have an true offensive defenceman in our system. Would love to see Korneev get a shot but I wouldn't hold my breath on this...
My sense has been that Weber's shot at the NHL pretty depends on his offensive skills, and to a somewhat lesser extent I've felt the same about Carle. Subban's just a standout athlete, so he could develop a number of different ways, but for Weber and Carle, do you think they can they make it to the big show if they're not "true offensive defencemen"?

Last edited by Bullsmith: 03-16-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old
03-16-2008, 05:36 PM
kostitsyn1489

I think Weber has a bit more upside defensively then Carle does. I never been really high on Carle tho. Carle is one heck of a passer tho and on the breakout he's hard to beat, better then both Weber and Subban. Just not sure he's got everything to make it to the NHL. To me Subban and Weber are a bit ahead of him.

Still it's so hard to pick, they all need to work on the same part of their game and it's defensive positioning. If they cant improve that neither of them will make it to the NHL. The one that improves it the most will be the most important to the team. Hard to say whois going to be the best at it tho.

Subban is the fastest, Weber has got the hardest shot and Carle is the best playmaker. You've got all 3. It's a really tough call.

Old
03-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
I think Weber has a bit more upside defensively then Carle does. I never been really high on Carle tho. Carle is one heck of a passer tho and on the breakout he's hard to beat, better then both Weber and Subban. Just not sure he's got everything to make it to the NHL. To me Subban and Weber are a bit ahead of him.

Still it's so hard to pick, they all need to work on the same part of their game and it's defensive positioning. If they cant improve that neither of them will make it to the NHL. The one that improves it the most will be the most important to the team. Hard to say whois going to be the best at it tho.

Subban is the fastest, Weber has got the hardest shot and Carle is the best playmaker. You've got all 3. It's a really tough call.
I konw that Weber won the hardest shot competition but isin't Subban known for his shot?

Closed Thread