HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: backyard deck and BBQ

Old
03-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Slick Nick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I can't handle staining it every year.

Somebody told me though that if you just powerwash it a couple of times a year it will maintain a pretty decent colour. True.
Powerwash, all it does most of the time is that it damages the wood. If you go with a good stain in the first place, all you need to clean your deck with a product that you apply with any hard brush (on a stick).. rince.. and recoat once. If you go with a cheaper protective, than you're ****ed, and it doesn't look good either. And the worst is that you need to wait at least 3 days of warm and dry weather before applying your stain, it must be warm but not too hot, and hope it doesn't rain until the day after. I agree that putting stain on a deck can become a nightmare pretty quickly.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-16-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Powerwash, all it does most of the time is that it damages the wood. If you go with a good stain in the first place, all you need to clean your deck with a product that you apply with any hard brush (on a stick).. rince.. and recoat once. If you go with a cheaper protective, than you're ****ed, and it doesn't look good either. And the worst is that you need to wait at least 3 days of warm and dry weather before applying your stain, it must be warm but not too hot, and hope it doesn't rain until the day after. I agree that putting stain on a deck can become a nightmare pretty quickly.
This is the main reason why we chose fiberglass

The color is all over , under and in the shell so even if you manage with a unknown item to scratch the board, it would still be the same color

no paintin=god

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-16-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
That's the thing... I had no idea it required so much maintenance. I love the idea of a cedar deck but having to stain it all the time is just too much work and money. If I could get by with just powerwashing it, that would be cool. Or I guess I could just let it go grey.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-16-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
That's the thing... I had no idea it required so much maintenance. I love the idea of a cedar deck but having to stain it all the time is just too much work and money. If I could get by with just powerwashing it, that would be cool. Or I guess I could just let it go grey.

Just pay a student...don't.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Yeah, I guess I could do that.

What about ipe? I've heard its great and low maintenance. I've also heard its expensive. Is it crazy expensive or just a little more?

Old
03-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Update:
Just spoke with some guys and I'm starting to think Ipe's the way to go. Stuff is absolutely invincible. I'll give an update when I see the prices. As for the BBQ, I still haven't found anyone cooking with infrared yet.

Old
03-18-2008, 04:42 PM
HabstuckinTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
If you're house is heated with natural gas, use it for your BBQ as well. Much more convenient as no tanks to fill, and no running out of propane halfway through cooking a big, juicy steak.
This is absolutely the way to go. Never, ever have to lug around 1 or 2 propane tanks back and forth - sweet. As for the BBQ unit, Ducane makes great products. Have had one for 6 years and it works like a charm all year round. American-made but top quality.

HabstuckinTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:22 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Update:
Just spoke with some guys and I'm starting to think Ipe's the way to go. Stuff is absolutely invincible. I'll give an update when I see the prices. As for the BBQ, I still haven't found anyone cooking with infrared yet.
I think IPE is really expensive...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabstuckinTO View Post
This is absolutely the way to go. Never, ever have to lug around 1 or 2 propane tanks back and forth - sweet. As for the BBQ unit, Ducane makes great products. Have had one for 6 years and it works like a charm all year round. American-made but top quality.
I hope so. I've never used natural gas but I've heard it actually burns hotter... don't know why that would be unless you wind up being able to get more pressure out of the gas line.

It will be nice not having to worry about running out of gas though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I think IPE is really expensive...
Apparently its 25-30% more expensive than cedar but about the same as Trex.

I think it depends on who does the installing. If you're working with a company that does a lot of Ipe you're going to pay less because Ipe is tough to install and its so hard it can break and dull saw blades. You really have to know what you're doing.

Once its built its a lot less maintenance though and its guaranteed for 99 years. The stuff is incredible. They use it for boardwalks and it requires very little maintenance. Even staining only needs to be done once every five years (if you want to stain it.) You don't need to do anything with it. Its bug, mold, fire and splinter resistant. That's why they call it Ironwood.

I'll wait and see on the pricing but I think its like getting a car. If you want a good one you pay more up front. If you get a cheaper one you pay less up front but more down the road. I'd much rather pay once and then not worry about it.

We'll see though... I'm not going to pay twenty grand for a deck, I don't care if its made of gold.

Old
03-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Along the same line.........

Blue Collar Comedy, Big Deck skit............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz82fjXqFQ4

(I'd like to embed this but I can't remember how to, perhaps someone could show me, or show me where the instructions to do this are. I remember it posted in the Lounge or Entertainment earlier)

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Along the same line.........

Blue Collar Comedy, Big Deck skit............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz82fjXqFQ4

(I'd like to embed this but I can't remember how to, perhaps someone could show me, or show me where the instructions to do this are. I remember it posted in the Lounge or Entertainment earlier)
you put yt in []
then the part after the v=
then you put /yt in [] again.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote