HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Obscure Players with Elite Traits?

Old
04-19-2017, 08:21 PM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobro View Post
John Chabot was a top five passer of the puck all time.
Really? I'm not calling you a liar, I'm legit asking if this is accurate at all. I know who he is, but don't know much about him, so I never would thought so.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 01:43 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Mikael Tatarinov had the mother of all Slspshots that's it
To be fair, the only reason he's "obscure" is probably the fact that he came to the NHL at the age of 24 and injuries killed his career at 26.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Jaromir Blogger

There are certainly better answers to this question, but I immediately thought of Petr Klima.

Jaromir Blogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 07:32 PM
Hockey Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLuke View Post
Perreault being the best in the faceoff circle for a while was a first thought.
There was a funny infographic from around ten years ago that had an annotated hockey rink. The caption for the faceoff circle was "this is where Perreault plays his best hockey". The caption for the bench was "this is where Perreault plays his second best hockey".

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 07:41 PM
crobro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Really? I'm not calling you a liar, I'm legit asking if this is accurate at all. I know who he is, but don't know much about him, so I never would thought so.
Maybe I took it a little to far but after Gretzky and Lemieux Chabot was definitely in the top 5 at the time in terms of his tape to tape passing skills.

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 04:06 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Maybe I took it a little to far but after Gretzky and Lemieux Chabot was definitely in the top 5 at the time in terms of his tape to tape passing skills.
Okay cool. Will take your word for it. Never would have guessed.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 11:07 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Okay cool. Will take your word for it. Never would have guessed.
Seeing as how the optically challenged Tim Horton was noted for same... how could that be?

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 03:19 AM
Babych44

Anton Babchuk 😁

Babych44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 07:09 AM
Franck
eltiT resU motsuC

vCash: 50
Yevgeni Artyukhin's combination of size and skating was pretty special. Unfortunately he also has hands of stone, questionable hockey sense and a penchant for taking stupid penalties.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 08:05 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babych44 View Post
Anton Babchuk 😁
His elite trait being?

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 08:43 AM
Claude The Fraud

Darryl Laplante

The fastest skater of the NHL in 2000.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...st_in_the_nhl/

Claude The Fraud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 09:40 AM
AfroThunder396
Certified G

vCash: 1670
Wes Walz and his insane speed was the first that came to mind.

Right now I would nominate Miles Wood and his speed that equals or exceeds teammate Taylor Hall.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Moose Head

Igor Ulanov and his monster body checks

Moose Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 03:21 AM
Babych44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
His elite trait being?
Really heavy slap shot, sucked at everything else

Babych44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 07:31 PM
IComeInPeace

Brad Palmer had a wicked shot and used it to become a 1st round pick of the Stars.

Bob Manno was a great skater. He was a dud as a 2nd round d-man, but had a resurgence of sorts (short lived) as a member of the Red Wings 'Troll Line' when moved up to play as a forward.

I loved the way Paul Lawless skated. Hartford picked him early, but he was all wheels, and had a short NHL career because of it.

But, these were all kind of bust type players.

I'd like to see some names mentioned of guys that actually had long and productive careers, but who had an obvious superior skill, that the rest of the game just couldn't keep up...

My name I'll throw out there, even though he had a long and productive career, was Russ Courtnall. I know people will freak out, but every time I watched him, it just always seemed his head and hands were a step behind his feet.
Taking nothing away from Russ. But, I was always just left thinking, man this guy could be a hall of famer type of player, but...

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 05:45 AM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IComeInPeace View Post
Brad Palmer had a wicked shot and used it to become a 1st round pick of the Stars.

Bob Manno was a great skater. He was a dud as a 2nd round d-man, but had a resurgence of sorts (short lived) as a member of the Red Wings 'Troll Line' when moved up to play as a forward.

I loved the way Paul Lawless skated. Hartford picked him early, but he was all wheels, and had a short NHL career because of it.

I'd like to see some names mentioned of guys that actually had long and productive careers, but who had an obvious superior skill, that the rest of the game just couldn't keep up...

My name I'll throw out there, even though he had a long and productive career, was Russ Courtnall. I know people will freak out, but every time I watched him, it just always seemed his head and hands were a step behind his feet.
Taking nothing away from Russ. But, I was always just left thinking, man this guy could be a hall of famer type of player, but...
Now this certainly doesn't fit with this thread, but the latter part of your post makes me wonder what Jason Allison could have been if he wasn't slower than evolution. He was a very productive player during his prime, and had a pretty good final season after the lockout, but it was clear the game was too fast for him.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 10:30 AM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenJagrt View Post
Now this certainly doesn't fit with this thread, but the latter part of your post makes me wonder what Jason Allison could have been if he wasn't slower than evolution. He was a very productive player during his prime, and had a pretty good final season after the lockout, but it was clear the game was too fast for him.
you know, i think allison was extremely lucky that his peak years coincided with the era that best hid his deficiency. if he'd been five years older or younger, would he have had kyle wellwood's career?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 10:56 AM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
you know, i think allison was extremely lucky that his peak years coincided with the era that best hid his deficiency. if he'd been five years older or younger, would he have had kyle wellwood's career?
apparently he was LA's fastest skater at the skills competition pre-lockout. He was "slower than evolution" in the 05-06 season but that wasn't representative of his whole career.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 10:56 AM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
To be fair, he had a tremendous mind for the game and great hands. But yeah, he definitely landed in the absolute perfect era for his skillset.

Old
04-26-2017, 11:39 AM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
apparently he was LA's fastest skater at the skills competition pre-lockout. He was "slower than evolution" in the 05-06 season but that wasn't representative of his whole career.
really? maybe one of those situations where his acceleration is terrible but once he gets to top speed he can fly for a couple of laps?

i remember prime allison as this guy who carried the puck like a glacier but was amazing at creating room to operate and a monster on the boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenJagrt View Post
To be fair, he had a tremendous mind for the game and great hands. But yeah, he definitely landed in the absolute perfect era for his skillset.
i was exaggerating a little; allison was a straight up wizard with the puck. but actually kyle wellwood had tremendous hockey sense and hands too. he was just short, fat, weak, and slow.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 12:32 PM
Tillman40
Bo Knows Bo

Rob Hisey

Tillman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 01:24 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I've heard that but wasn't sure how true it was. I don't remember there being a lot of burners on that 03 roster. But in reference to the post-lockout NHL, you'd think a guy with his hands and vision would have put up much bigger numbers if he had the skating in a league with increased powerplays and the removal of the red line.

As I remember it, players would get penalties for even thinking about obstruction. Phantom hooks, holds and trips were called with frustrating frequency. Today, people are screaming for more penalties but forget how much it drove us nuts when there were so many whistles that year. As a Leafs fan, I distinctly remember it ruining Bryan McCabe's defensive game, which relied so heavily on holding and the can-opener. Of course, his point totals spiked a fair bit because of the powerplay opportunities.

Yikes, I got sidetracked a bit. Sorry everyone!

Old
04-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by IComeInPeace View Post

Ron Sedlbauer could shoot the puck, when he was paying attention... which wasn't often.

Another slightly odder one was Jim Sandlak. I wouldn't say he was a one skill wonder. But he was only able to use one of his skills a game... and then, usually, only once. It's like he'd rummage around in a sack and pull out, "slapshot", so he'd get one good slapshot in a game. Other times he'd pull out "bodycheck" or "barrel down the board then drive for the net". Mostly he was just there. Nicknamed House, it was speculated that was because the lights were on, but nobody was home. But he did manage to stick around for quite a while, because hell, maybe one day he'd learn to do two good things a game.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2017, 10:24 AM
boyko10

Straight line Tony Salmelainen is the fastest skater I've witnessed. Would have loved to see him go head to head vs Kapanen around the time of Sami's ASG performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Yevgeni Artyukhin's questionable hockey sense
Scratch the hockey.

boyko10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2017, 12:02 PM
Zippy316

Just some recent Devils:

Gelinas and Foster slapshots were quite ridiculous. Not sure I'd call Foster's elite though.

Steckel in the face off dot is another trait that stands out.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote