HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 2

Old
03-27-2017, 09:14 PM
Winky

vCash: 500
Can anyone say where in the lineup the CCM 80LE stick fell (prob 3-4 years back)? What was the CCM RBZ stick lineup that year? Thanks.

Last edited by Winky: 03-27-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 09:26 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
Can anyone say where in the lineup the CCM 80LE stick fell (prob 3-4 years back)? What was the CCM RBZ stick lineup that year? Thanks.
2 below the top; it was a mid end stick. ~$100-$120 retail.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 09:27 PM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
2 below the top; it was a mid end stick. ~$100-$120 retail.
Thanks.

Has the Nugent-Hopkins P19 curve been altered at all between then and now? Or is every P19 the same no matter what.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 10:16 PM
bhd1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy for Kuzy View Post
Yes. The inner dimensions are close, it's the thickness of the shaft that changes. In other words, an extension will mate with an intermediate or a senior stick but it doesn't mean the outside dimensions are the same. Here's a picture to show you the difference.

This isn't 100% true. Some intermediate sticks actually have the same dimensions as seniors. It varies from company to company and stick to stick. For the majority of sticks out there this holds correct though. Research the sticks you buy and you should know which it is.

bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 10:27 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
Thanks.

Has the Nugent-Hopkins P19 curve been altered at all between then and now? Or is every P19 the same no matter what.
Same

Old
03-27-2017, 10:35 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Same old Caps

vCash: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
This isn't 100% true. Some intermediate sticks actually have the same dimensions as seniors. It varies from company to company and stick to stick. For the majority of sticks out there this holds correct though. Research the sticks you buy and you should know which it is.
That or if you go in store you can see the difference. Usually they're thinner because there is less material to make it more flexible and the grip is more adapted for the people likely to need intermediate sticks. A 5'6 teenager will obviously have smaller hands than a 6'2 adult.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2017, 01:10 AM
MDCSL

Quote:
Yes. The inner dimensions are close, it's the thickness of the shaft that changes. In other words, an extension will mate with an intermediate or a senior stick but it doesn't mean the outside dimensions are the same. Here's a picture to show you the difference.

Makes sense. There you go, learn something new every day.

Edit: could be that mine has a full size shaft like bhd says, it sure feels the same in my hands. I think it's a Nexus 8000?

MDCSL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2017, 10:00 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Same old Caps

vCash: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCSL View Post
Makes sense. There you go, learn something new every day.

Edit: could be that mine has a full size shaft like bhd says, it sure feels the same in my hands. I think it's a Nexus 8000?
Bauer intermediate sticks are definitely smaller than their senior counterparts.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2017, 06:28 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Bauer intermediate sticks are definitely smaller than their senior counterparts.
For sure, I've found that CCM INTs are almost if not the same dimensions as SR.

Old
03-30-2017, 01:43 PM
Cousin Eddie
Trollin' For Nolan

vCash: 177
Question for you guys on flex. I realize there's a full description on the first page but I'm just looking for so opinions.

I'm an experienced hockey player. Played some junior and more recently, senior. Now I'm a 26 year old rec leaguer whose competitive days are over. I'm 6'4, 210 and pretty strong for my height (been heavily involved in powerlifting for the last 5 or 6 years). Because of my size I've always used a flex in the range of 100-110 just because it seemed right based on my size. I went to pick up a new twig today and all they had left in the stick I wanted were 85 flex. I walked out of the store because they didn't have my flex but now I'm second guessing myself. I'm tall and heavy but I skate fairly upright and am more of a quick release shooter as opposed to somebody who leans into his shots and really puts power behind it. I don't take slap shots anymore. Based on this do you think maybe an 85 flex is enough. If a guy like Patrick Laine can use one I don't think I'm too strong to use one in a no slapshots beer league.

If you guys have any opinions let me know.

Old
03-30-2017, 01:58 PM
puckpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post

IMHO it's what ever works for you. I believe Ovechkin uses a stick in the 80s flex range and he's 230+ pounds. Johnny Gaudreau uses a 55 flex stick.

I'm 5'5 180 lbs and a crap player but I use 50 flex juniors.

So an 85 flex for you wouldn't be too crazy.

puckpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2017, 06:55 PM
bhd1223

Quote:
Question for you guys on flex. I realize there's a full description on the first page but I'm just looking for so opinions.

I'm an experienced hockey player. Played some junior and more recently, senior. Now I'm a 26 year old rec leaguer whose competitive days are over. I'm 6'4, 210 and pretty strong for my height (been heavily involved in powerlifting for the last 5 or 6 years). Because of my size I've always used a flex in the range of 100-110 just because it seemed right based on my size. I went to pick up a new twig today and all they had left in the stick I wanted were 85 flex. I walked out of the store because they didn't have my flex but now I'm second guessing myself. I'm tall and heavy but I skate fairly upright and am more of a quick release shooter as opposed to somebody who leans into his shots and really puts power behind it. I don't take slap shots anymore. Based on this do you think maybe an 85 flex is enough. If a guy like Patrick Laine can use one I don't think I'm too strong to use one in a no slapshots beer league.

I'll second puckpilot. Up to you and your preference. If you're not taking slapshots, give an 85 a try and see if you're getting good releases. Maybe borrow one from someone before you buy? I personally run 65-70 flex intermediates, but 5'8" 160-170 and much less skill by the sounds of it. I honestly think it' my sweet spot but one of these days I'll have to give the now more common 75 flex seniors a try, just to see.

bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 01:12 PM
Cousin Eddie
Trollin' For Nolan

vCash: 177
Purchased the 85 flex stick. Actually love it for shooting. I am having trouble adjusting to one timers/one time passes though. I quarterback our pp and often make quick touch passes/one time passes to the open man. Because my stick is more whippy I feel like I'm fanning on these passes (it also happened with the only one time shot I attempted). Is this something that's going to happen and I'm just going to have to deal with due to my whippy stick or are there adjustments I can make to get this part of my game back to normal?

Cousin Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:18 PM
jorbjorb
hello.

Is it possible to get the bauer one70 stick without grip? I'm weird and like to move my hand up and down the shaft freely. Ya i know that sounds stupid but whatever.

Last edited by AIREAYE: 04-03-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: language
jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 07:13 PM
puckpilot

Quote:
Purchased the 85 flex stick. Actually love it for shooting. I am having trouble adjusting to one timers/one time passes though. I quarterback our pp and often make quick touch passes/one time passes to the open man. Because my stick is more whippy I feel like I'm fanning on these passes (it also happened with the only one time shot I attempted). Is this something that's going to happen and I'm just going to have to deal with due to my whippy stick or are there adjustments I can make to get this part of my game back to normal?
Over time you should adjust to it. But here are a couple of things I do to adjust to new sticks.

First, if I'm having trouble with the slapshot, I slow down the swing. I'll take a puck and practice slapshots against the boards, with the slower swing, focusing on just making good contact and not worrying about power. Once I get a better feel for it, I start increasing the power and speed of the down swing. I find that helps re-calibrate

Second, I bounce pucks off the back boards and when the come back out front, I take a quick one-timer snap shot at the net. Same as the slapshot, this helps me re-calibrate

puckpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 01:43 AM
dailokcham

on the CCM website there's a new Brent Burns curve, I've seen it on the website for several months now. Has anyone seen this pattern available anywhere?

dailokcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 07:25 AM
Nvxs07

Hey guys, curious what you think this curve looks like to yous. This is the only picture I have but I have a hard time making it out. http://imgur.com/MjoG3zt

Nvxs07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 09:54 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvxs07 View Post
Hey guys, curious what you think this curve looks like to yous. This is the only picture I have but I have a hard time making it out. http://imgur.com/MjoG3zt
Looks like a Granlund equivalent curve. Horrible angle.

Old
04-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Nvxs07

Quote:
Looks like a Granlund equivalent curve. Horrible angle.
You're telling me. He said it was similar to p92 but I don't see it. Looks like a mix between that and the retail stamkos curve if there is such a thing

Old
04-15-2017, 12:46 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvxs07 View Post
You're telling me. He said it was similar to p92 but I don't see it. Looks like a mix between that and the retail stamkos curve if there is such a thing
Is it a pro stock stick? If so, it could be any manner of custom. If it is pro stock, I'd say it would be a Vanek (former retail curve), which is exactly the cross that you're describing.

Old
04-15-2017, 01:51 PM
Nvxs07

Quote:
Is it a pro stock stick? If so, it could be any manner of custom. If it is pro stock, I'd say it would be a Vanek (former retail curve), which is exactly the cross that you're describing.
Yeah it's a Travis Konecny white QRL. I had to bite on it cause it's just so nice

Old
04-19-2017, 07:36 AM
Nvxs07

So I got it yesterday. Seems to be the steal p91 curve with a tad more open face. Was trying to get a feel but I have a game tonight. Where should I put the puck at on the blade to get a nice release ?

Old
04-20-2017, 08:28 AM
DougKnowsBest

i ended up getting a ccm ribcor trigger, 75 flex datsyuk blade... its hard to not be please with an expensive stick.... but im very pleased with it

i really like that square toe on the blade..super pleased with how backhand passed come of the blade.. everytime someone whacks it i cringe, but its showing no cosmeteic damage yet..... the only problem i have now is the demoralization i feel when i go from my shooting pad to the ice and cant get it to flex exactly like i do on dryland

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:07 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
i ended up getting a ccm ribcor trigger, 75 flex datsyuk blade... its hard to not be please with an expensive stick.... but im very pleased with it

i really like that square toe on the blade..super pleased with how backhand passed come of the blade.. everytime someone whacks it i cringe, but its showing no cosmeteic damage yet..... the only problem i have now is the demoralization i feel when i go from my shooting pad to the ice and cant get it to flex exactly like i do on dryland
Well, you should consider that fact that you are taller on the ice given you're on your skates. You can either practice more on your on-ice shooting technique (lower knee bend etc.) or experiment by extending your stick a touch.

Old
04-24-2017, 08:14 AM
WithOutPaperss

Broke my Warrior HD Pro about 2 months ago. Finally found the right deal and stuck with Warrior. This time a QRL Pro. Already love it after one skate. The feel and release is like none I've ever felt.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote