HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Did anybody notice Ryan Getzlaf's season?

Old
04-20-2017, 08:51 PM
ChaseANA

vCash: 50
Lol this is funny. What does this guy have against Getz?

ChaseANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:53 PM
Guuar*

vCash: 500
Is Victor Hedman a playmaker? No, he's not. Just because you get a pile of secondary assists doesn't mean you have the passing skills of Gretzky or Lemieux.

If a 4th line player scores 40 empty net goals every year for his 20 year career does that make him a better goal scorer than Gretzky or Lemieux? No, it does not.

Getzlaf is the guy who has the drive and compete that pushes the team. He's not elite at any one thing. But he certainly does make the players around him play on a different level.

Like I said he's one of those players that just doesn't give up.

Guuar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:54 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT PLAYOFFS

I'm not gonna lie. I in fact did not notice Getzlaf's season.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:57 PM
ChaseANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguuar View Post
Is Victor Hedman a playmaker? No, he's not. Just because you get a pile of secondary assists doesn't mean you have the passing skills of Gretzky or Lemieux.

If a 4th line player scores 40 empty net goals every year for his 20 year career does that make him a better goal scorer than Gretzky or Lemieux? No, it does not.

Getzlaf is the guy who has the drive and compete that pushes the team. He's not elite at any one thing. But he certainly does make the players around him play on a different level.

You're so lost.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:00 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:

You've killed your credibility in this discussion, I'm afraid. Between saying deflection plays are flukes, secondary assists are garbage, and Getzlaf isn't a playmaker, I think it's pretty clear you're uninformed on this topic.

04-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Boo Boo

Quote:

Getzlaf absolutely does have elite attributes its a joke to say otherwise

Boo Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:04 PM
Ducks in a row
Go Ducks Quack Quack

Quote:
I've honestly never thought Getzlaf was anything special.

People sit there saying Sean Monahan isn't a #1C yet Getzlaf is and only once in his career has he hit 30 goals or more.

Don't care what you say 28 goals in the past two seasons is what you expect from your #2 and #3 center.

The Ducks core of forwards aren't going to win it all any time soon. Calgary and Edmonton are going to #1 and #2 in the Pacific as their young kids are going to continue to progress getting better each year.

I'm sorry to tell you but the Ducks' window to win championships is long gone.
You don't have to be scoring 30 goals a lot to be a #1C. Getzlaf has 814 points in 861 regular season games. In the playoffs he has 104 points in 108 games. This season 73 points in 74 regular season games and in the playoffs so far 5 points in 4 games. If you don't think he is a #1C now and in his career your idea of what a #1C is well its not something anyone should take seriously.

Quote:
He's been on the decline for 2-3 seasons now. Don't get me wrong he's still putting up good numbers for a guy who is on the decline.

I'm guessing Ducks' fans don't watch their team very closely especially in 3v3 and 4v4 situations.

2016-2017 Overtime Record

Calgary Flames 9W 2L
Edmonton Oilers 6W 4L
Anaheim Ducks 3W 10L

The ranks Anaheim 30th in Overtime. Why are they dead last? Their best players like Getzlaf have noticeably declined in their acceleration and skating speed. It was also very noticeable in the first round versus the flames.

I honestly believe these 4v4 and 3v3 situations clearly dictate teams with greater skill and speed than others.

The last point to mention Anaheim also leads the league in absolute garbage goals that are commonly described as "flukes". It's not shocking. When the bounces are going the ducks way they are a great team. It's pretty pathetic that this is a tactic Randy Carlyle actually preaches to his players.

You can actually look at the areas and types of shots being generated for the entire 2016-2017 season. You will notice the Ducks' players will often float shots from the blueline or the sideboards and will just hope to get a deflection or lucky bounce of a player's skates, stick, body, etc.

Yes he has also had some very skilled goals and assists this year but you are blind to not realize the strategy the Ducks embrace. The Ducks won't have any chance to win a championship if their #1C isn't capable of scoring goals at a rate that is double his current production.

Like I said 28 goals is not #1C production. He had 2 more goals than Calgary's #3C in Sam Bennett.

It's also tough to say exactly what is going on with Getzlaf and Perry. When they were in their prime they were amazing. Getzlaf is on the wrong side of 30 now and if he's your #1C in 2 or 3 years you will be lucky to be fighting for a wild card spot.
Why does goal scoring determine so much for you?

In the series against the Flames he has stepped up in the goal scoring department with 3 in 4 games. A team #1C doesn't have to be scoring a lot of goals to win a Cup just ask Chicago when Toews had 3 goals back in 2013.

Quote:
That's 28 goals in TWO seasons not this season.

He has scored 15 goals and 13 goals in the past 2 seasons respectively. That is good for dead last amongst #1C in the league.

#1C by definition is a player that will put up at least 20-25 goals. It's great he's still getting 60-70 points with the assists but if your #1C is putting up 13 goals in a season and playing nearly 20 minutes a game and on your 1st PP unit, I'm sorry......

You aren't going to win any championships with caliber of player.
That is not the definition for a #1C it might be yours but most people would not agree with it.

Quote:
He is no where close to an elite playmaker at all. He's been fortunate to play with Perry, Selanne, Ryan, etc. The stats I see show only 39% of his assists the past 3 seasons are primary assists. He gets a lot of secondary assists as a result of rebounds and deflections. Not that there's nothing wrong with that but primary and secondary assists really should be in separate columns.

Do you Ducks' Fans not watch your team play?

It's most likely he tops out at 60 points next season. Anaheim won't re-sign Reaves and there is zero chance Rakell repeats this year's performance. Unless Perry magically comes back to life there isn't going to be any players scoring 30+ goals for him to piggy back secondary assists off of.

Again I pointed it out. There were 3 occasions during the first round where he had the opportunity to get behind the defence but Getzlaf did not have the foot speed to get past Giordano. It's not shocking that Getzlaf's speed is going to decline year over year. He's a big guy and you don't expect their skating to stay at a high level when they are on the wrong side of 30.

All I'm saying he's still a good player but there are easily 25 other centers I would take over him on my team.

The best part is Anaheim fan's thinking they actually outplayed Calgary. Had to have been the most even series for a 4-0 ever. Take the fluke goals out of the equation and the 2 blown calls and Calgary is up 3-1 or even 4-0.

And yes it is a fluke when a puck happens to deflect off a players stick, body, skates and travel 8+ feet into the net.
Getzlaf didn't have Selanne as a regular linemate. Perry benefited from having a playmaker as a linemate that is something goal scorers love to have. Ryan away from Getzlaf has a high of 23 goals in a season if only he had a Getzlaf he might be back to scoring 30+. Secondary assist can be more important to setting up a goal then a primary one.

Wow now your insulting Ducks fans asking if they watch their own team play

We might not sign Eaves. Rakell might not score 30+ goals next season but his chances are not zero.

25 centers you would take over Getzlaf is just crazy.

Quote:
He's not a playmaker. The majority of his points are garbage secondary assists. The real playmakers in the NHL will have 60-70% of their assists as primary assists not secondary.

The majority of his assists are not making perfect passes.

Getzlaf has a rocket of a shot. For some reason he just doesn't score goals. Other players tend to score goals from rebounds, deflections, etc. That's where the bulk of assists have come from.

The one thing with Getzlaf is he has a very high drive and doesn't give up. That's what he brings to a team. His compete level is easily Top 5 amongst NHL centers.

I'm not saying he's a horrible center but there are 20-25 guys most GMs would take over him right now as their goto #1 guy.
So you have to be racking up 60% to 70% of your assists to be a playmaker I guess someone can have 20 assists on the season with 12 being a primary assist and be called a playmaker

Getzlaf would be well ahead of 20-25 for their #1C choice.

Ducks in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:17 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
He is no where close to an elite playmaker at all.
Ba-dumm-tss.

Quote:
He's been fortunate to play with Perry, Selanne, Ryan, etc.
And more evidence you basically never even watch the Ducks. Selanne was barely every a linemate of his. The last time Ryan had regular time with him was - what? - 5 years ago? His numbers haven't exactly dropped relative to league scoring since. And this year, even Perry becomes less and less of a linemate, and somehow, the assists don't go away. I suppose it's now Rakell that he's lucky to play with. And Eaves. And Perron last year, obviously. These guys are the straws that stir the drink!

Quote:
It's most likely he tops out at 60 points next season. Anaheim won't re-sign Reaves and there is zero chance Rakell repeats this year's performance.
Reaves is an enforcer with St. Louis. Either way, thanks for another baseless projection that nobody cares about.

Quote:
Take the fluke goals out of the equation and the 2 blown calls and Calgary is up 3-1 or even 4-0.
Right.

Quote:
He's not a playmaker.
Quote of the year.

Quote:
The majority of his points are garbage secondary assists.
Is there a site that measures both "solid secondary assists" and "garbage secondary assists"? Because I'd love to see that breakdown.

Quote:
Citation needed. (2)

Quote:
Getzlaf has a rocket of a shot. For some reason he just doesn't score goals.
Hey, a correct statement! The reason is that he's a pass-first-guy, and has always been. And by every actual evidence, he's pretty damn good at that.

Quote:
I'm not saying he's a horrible center but there are 20-25 guys most GMs would take over him right now as their goto #1 guy.
That should be a pretty fun list to see.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Guuar*

Now you want to throw Toews into this?

I'm sure many on HF boards would agree Toews is likely the most over rated and over paid player in the league right now.

Secondary assists are stat that should be removed as a junk point. It's no different than guys who score 10 empty net goals in a season.

The best part is Anaheim fan's think this team is going to the WCF or SCF. It's more likely that Edmonton will take them out 4-0 or 4-1 in the next round. They got very lucky with the bounces and calls to get out of the first round.

Next year when Rakell's numbers drop and Eaves signs an overpaid deal on another team who is going to score these goals so we can inflate Getzlaf's numbers?

His points aren't from clean skilled passes. They are from rebounds, deflections and tap ins.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
His points aren't from clean skilled passes. They are from rebounds, deflections and tap ins.
Citation needed. (3)

Old
04-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Guuar*

Here's 20 centers just off the top of my head that have more value right now than Getzlaf.

You can't tell me most GMs would take Getzlaf over any one of these guys on the list if they had the choice right now.

1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Matthews
4. Kopitar
5. Backstrom
6. Scheifele
7. Crosby
8. Malkin
9. Draisatl
10.Seguin
11.Pavelski
12.Carter
13.Tavares
14.Stamkos
15.Johansen
16.O'Reilly
17.Barkov
18.Bergeron
19.Granlund
20.Horvat.

Again, I'm not saying he's a horrible player. I'm just saying he's not an elite #1C. He's falling in this 20-40 group with guys like Giroux, Koivu, Kesler, Toews, etc. They are still great players but there are other players that have more to offer going forward.

All I'm telling you Getzlaf has declined noticeably in the past 3 seasons and will continue on that downward trajectory. It's normal and expected unless your named Jagr.

Old
04-20-2017, 10:10 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Here's 20 centers just off the top of my head that have more value right now than Getzlaf.

You can't tell me most GMs would take Getzlaf over any one of these guys on the list if they had the choice right now.

1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Matthews
4. Kopitar
5. Backstrom
6. Scheifele
7. Crosby
8. Malkin
9. Draisatl
10.Seguin
11.Pavelski
12.Carter
13.Tavares
14.Stamkos
15.Johansen
16.O'Reilly
17.Barkov
18.Bergeron
19.Granlund
20.Horvat.

Again, I'm not saying he's a horrible player. I'm just saying he's not an elite #1C. He's falling in this 20-40 group with guys like Giroux, Koivu, Kesler, Toews, etc. They are still great players but there are other players that have more to offer going forward.

All I'm telling you Getzlaf has declined noticeably in the past 3 seasons and will continue on that downward trajectory. It's normal and expected unless your named Jagr.
So, just checking - your argument against Getzlaf is that he doesn't score goals and has too many secondary assists, although he is 2nd in the league in primary assists. Yet, you have Johansen, who has even one goal less to his name, and 10 primary assists less, ahead of him. Are Horvat's additional 4 goals good enough to make up for the 17 less primary assists (plus another 9 garbage secondary assists less)? Again, just checking.

Old
04-20-2017, 10:24 PM
ChaseANA

This guy really made an account to harp on Getzlaf? It must be tough being a grown man with so much hate for a hockey player.

Old
04-20-2017, 10:28 PM
Montournado
Ultimate Troll

Quote:

I'm sure many on HF boards would agree Toews is likely the most over rated and over paid player in the league right now.

Secondary assists are stat that should be removed as a junk point. It's no different than guys who score 10 empty net goals in a season.

The best part is Anaheim fan's think this team is going to the WCF or SCF. It's more likely that Edmonton will take them out 4-0 or 4-1 in the next round. They got very lucky with the bounces and calls to get out of the first round.

Next year when Rakell's numbers drop and Eaves signs an overpaid deal on another team who is going to score these goals so we can inflate Getzlaf's numbers?

There is no way anybody could be this off. Has to be sarcasm.

Montournado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:23 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

Embarrassing series of posts. What's funny is Getzlaf probably had his best season in terms of his 200 foot game. It's a shame Perry was so bad for much of the season.

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:10 AM
tony d
Kyle Turris

One of my favorite players. Easily a top 5-10 centre in the game.

04-21-2017, 12:51 PM
LuckyDucky

Quote:
Would you like me to post videos of Kessler holding sticks and bear hugging players on face offs.

Or better yet Kessler sitting on a puck intentionally to kill the clock. I'm guessing the GM's will add a new rule just for Kessler.

You don't just make this kind of stuff up when the entire league knows it.
No, I'd like you to stop accusing Ducks fans of not watching our own team, while you misspell Ryan Kesler's name.

LuckyDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Elf

Quote:
It's most likely he tops out at 60 points next season. Anaheim won't re-sign Reaves and there is zero chance Rakell repeats this year's performance. Unless Perry magically comes back to life there isn't going to be any players scoring 30+ goals for him to piggy back secondary assists off of.
1) You accuse us of "not watching our own team" then you speak out of your ass regarding Rakell's performance? "Zero chance". I don't think you've seen him play, buddy.
2) Who's Reaves? (I think you mean Eaves)
3) You're a stat warrior with little concept of the professional game. Eaves is a passenger. A good one, but he's not a play-driver. His 30 goals came from Getzlaf (and Benn/Seguin prior to the trade), not vice-versa regarding Getzlaf's assist totals.

Quote:
Again I pointed it out. There were 3 occasions during the first round where he had the opportunity to get behind the defence but Getzlaf did not have the foot speed to get past Giordano. It's not shocking that Getzlaf's speed is going to decline year over year. He's a big guy and you don't expect their skating to stay at a high level when they are on the wrong side of 30.
Here's that skating reference again. Are you going to talk about anything else? How about his passing ability? His defensive skill? His physicality? His vision? His hockey IQ? Once again, skating has never been his strong suit. Not everyone needs to be Teemu Selanne in terms of speed to be an effective offensive player.

Quote:
All I'm saying he's still a good player but there are easily 25 other centers I would take over him on my team.
And Horvat is on that list?

Quote:
The best part is Anaheim fan's thinking they actually outplayed Calgary. Had to have been the most even series for a 4-0 ever. Take the fluke goals out of the equation and the 2 blown calls and Calgary is up 3-1 or even 4-0.

Did we demolish Calgary like we did two years ago? Nope. It was a fairly even series, I'll give you that, but Calgary got ALL of their offense on the PP. A grand total of 2 even strength goals the whole series isn't going to cut it. We played well 5-on-5, which is going to be what matters if we can work on our discipline.

(also, why don't we, since we're obviously going to be whining about the refs, take Giordano out so it's only fair with us missing Fowler. How's that sound?)

Quote:
And yes it is a fluke when a puck happens to deflect off a players stick, body, skates and travel 8+ feet into the net.
Have you ever played a game of hockey in your life? Hell, have you watched a game of hockey in your life? There are a lot of people (such as Patrick Eaves) that make a living in the NHL off of going to the front of the net and creating havoc. We had a guy named Patrick Maroon that used to fill that role and he filled it well.

Have you never heard of screening the goalie? Have you never heard of getting traffic to the front of the net? Have you never heard of a deflection play? This is hockey 101.

Quote:
Would you like me to post videos of Kessler holding sticks and bear hugging players on face offs.

Or better yet Kessler sitting on a puck intentionally to kill the clock. I'm guessing the GM's will add a new rule just for Kessler.

You don't just make this kind of stuff up when the entire league knows it.
Oh, cool, you don't know what agitation is, either. (you also don't know how to spell Kesler's name; insert double facepalm meme here)

Quote:
He's not a playmaker. The majority of his points are garbage secondary assists. The real playmakers in the NHL will have 60-70% of their assists as primary assists not secondary.
Go home, Getzlaf. You're not a man. You're just a boy. A boy who has the hockey IQ of a rock. Go home. We're buying out your contract because you're so worthless. Lol

Quote:
Ok, you've just proven to the entire thread that you don't watch him play.

Quote:
Getzlaf has a rocket of a shot. For some reason he just doesn't score goals.
"Getzlaf has a rocket of a shot". At least you've been listening to something that we've all been saying.

"For some reason he just doesn't score goals."

And there's the lack of knowledge again.

Quote:
The one thing with Getzlaf is he has a very high drive and doesn't give up. That's what he brings to a team. His compete level is easily Top 5 amongst NHL centers.

Kewl, Getzlaf's got them intangybulls, but we all know he ain't got what it takes to be a 1st line center.

(also, when Bo Horvat is in that top 20 list, among the rest of uninformed posting you've made in this thread, I've got to take some issue with your credibility)

Quote:
Oh, so Victor Hedman sucks now, too?

Quote:
Yet Chicago won 3 Cups with him as their 1C.

Quote:
You're just a Calgary fan making lame excuses for why your team lost.

WCF/SCF are not out of the question. We'll have to play better than we did against Calgary, but provided we get a healthy blue-line back, I feel really good about our team on paper.

Quote:

I'm not going to even bother any more.

Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 04:05 PM
Getz2perry

Quote:

The best part is you actually believe anything you have said in this post.

Getz2perry is offline   Reply With Quote