HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Miro Heiskanen - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2017, 3rd, DAL)

Old
04-20-2017, 06:05 PM
PorscheDesign

vCash: 500
damn, highest scoring defenceman of all time in WJC U-18.

He could turn out to be a Nikita Kucherov type of pick

PorscheDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Hockeyisl1fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
With the season Heiskanen has had, and the lackluster finish to the year by some of the guys in consideration for the top pick, there's a legitimate case that can be made that Heiskanen is the best available prospect in this year's draft.
Hischier still exists. There is a legit chance someone passes Patrick on him though... I'm not sold on him a bit, an injury prone Monahan? I'm taking a possible topline D any day of the week. He is also one of the oldest guys in this draft... almost a 2016 draftee.

Hockeyisl1fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Connor McDaigle
Eetu, Brute?

vCash: 50
Heiskanen #1

Patrick/Hischier/Glass #2,3,4

Connor McDaigle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Luddowich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyisl1fe View Post
Hischier still exists. There is a legit chance someone passes Patrick on him though... I'm not sold on him a bit, an injury prone Monahan? I'm taking a possible topline D any day of the week. He is also one of the oldest guys in this draft... almost a 2016 draftee.
So how did you determine that Heiskanen is a possible topline D but Patrick was a injury prone Monahan, very very curious.

Luddowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Hockeyisl1fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddowich View Post
So how did you determine that Heiskanen is a possible topline D but Patrick was a injury prone Monahan, very very curious.
Patrick's been said several times to become Monahan tier of a player in the NHL by scouts. That's what I see too, but Monahan ain't a bad player by any means. What comes to him being an injury prone version of him; he has had several injuries already in his young career, it would be wishful to hope that's not the case in a pro league. Heiskanen has all the tools for a top pairing d, so there's that.

Old
04-20-2017, 08:39 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Hischier has struggled even more than Patrick in the last couple months.

Don't see what he's done to separate himself from the pack.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:48 PM
Hockeyisl1fe

Quote:
Hischier has struggled even more than Patrick in the last couple months.

Don't see what he's done to separate himself from the pack.
He is just tired. He has admitted that himself and it's quite clear if you have watched him in the u18s. First season with a demanding schedule so it's understandable.

Old
04-20-2017, 08:57 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
He is just tired. He has admitted that himself and it's quite clear if you have watched him in the u18s. First season with a demanding schedule so it's understandable.
I'm not just talking about the U18. He had 5 goals and 18 points in 17 games in February and March, the last two months of the season. Been struggling to keep up for awhile now.

And, frankly, being tired isn't an excuse for poor play. If he was injured that is one thing, but just being fatigued is an excuse that could be made for any top CHLer playing big minutes (which is pretty much all of them).

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:34 PM
devilsfan35

Is Andrei markov a fair comparison? Both are not overwhelming in the physical department but they have really good offensive instincts

devilsfan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:48 PM
TT1

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
I've had him in my top 7 ever since the u20's , he's currently 6th on my list (ahead of Liljegren).
boom

moving up from #6

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:30 AM
kelsier

Quote:
With the season Heiskanen has had, and the lackluster finish to the year by some of the guys in consideration for the top pick, there's a legitimate case that can be made that Heiskanen is the best available prospect in this year's draft.
I suppose anyone could easily make an argument for him. Still think no matter how the U18 tournament eventually ends it's still very unlikely scenario. Lets say he was two or three inches taller and played like he does today. Would be hard to pass even if you were first one calling names at the podium. He's still young and I wonder if there's potential for height growth. Someone who's followed him more closely might have an answer (of whether he's grown or stalled during the season).

kelsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 03:20 AM
Lowlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
1min after you said he failed to set up a game winner he set up the game winner.

So thank you.
You're welcome? I guess...

Lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:07 AM
Hockeyisl1fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fischer View Post
A little interjection here; he's having a great tournament with the puck, but is there any concern from anyone else regarding his hockey IQ away from the puck and defensive anticipation away from the puck? It would be interesting to hear some perspectives on this.

This is the 3rd tourny I've seen him in against his peers, and the same issues continue to pop up. For example, this last Czech game I thought he struggled on the PK, and was out of position on a number of plays - I'm not expecting perfection at 17, but there are some trends here. I particularly have issues with his gap control, ability to read a play, and board play.
I'm not myself seeing those things. He has been trusted pk time against pros. Scouts have praised his defensive awareness and gap control if anything. His problems in the defensive zone are board play and physical battles around the net. Those are not a concern for me, the kid is very raw physically as of now.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fischer View Post
A little interjection here; he's having a great tournament with the puck, but is there any concern from anyone else regarding his hockey IQ away from the puck and defensive anticipation away from the puck? It would be interesting to hear some perspectives on this.

This is the 3rd tourny I've seen him in against his peers, and the same issues continue to pop up. For example, this last Czech game I thought he struggled on the PK, and was out of position on a number of plays - I'm not expecting perfection at 17, but there are some trends here. I particularly have issues with his gap control, ability to read a play, and board play. Again, I'm not expecting perfection here, and he does a lot well in the offensive zone and is relied up in tough situations despite some of this troubles so there's that-- for me I look for these types of things in a high end pick like he's being talked about in some circles and I have concerns; I don't know if I see him as a complete player and worry about the blueline and back part of his game. Everyone sees the game differently so I'd love to hear some perspectives.
He is the best PK D-man in this draft class and has the highest defensive IQ looking at his level of play during the season. The question is more whether his offensive game will translate to the pro game. Obviously this tournament will not answer that so we will not get a definitive answer before the draft.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:37 AM
Hockeyisl1fe

HIFK fans are really high on this kid in the Finnish forums. Most of them said he was their best dman in the regular season and playoffs. HIFK's budget is the biggest in the FEL and a 17-year-old rookie is their best dman, let that sink in. A legit chance of him being picked in the top 5 I think.

Old
04-21-2017, 11:39 AM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
HIFK fans are really high on this kid in the Finnish forums. Most of them said he was their best dman in the regular season and playoffs. HIFK's budget is the biggest in the FEL and a 17-year-old rookie is their best dman, let that sink in. A legit chance of him being picked in the top 5 I think.
He was their best defenceman by the end of the year. His smarts/poise/mobility are at another level....certainly, brings back some memories of Lidstrom. Crazy that we rank Heiskanen ahead of Patrick you say? Check out his highlights from #U18 game Apr. 20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_DDGy1D3s0

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:32 PM
FinnHockeyFan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIjDrkCYtH0
Miro Heiskanen's interview after Finland vs Czech Republic quarterfinal.

FinnHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:36 PM
Asiantuntija

Very fine player, but HIFK system is very sad and i hope it doesn't ruin his career.

Asiantuntija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiantuntija View Post
Very fine player, but HIFK system is very sad and i hope it doesn't ruin his career.
As a first round pick he will probably be over in the AHL next season (assuming he isn't stuck in the NHL). That's the trend.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Asiantuntija

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxon View Post
As a first round pick he will probably be over in the AHL next season (assuming he isn't stuck in the NHL). That's the trend.
He should go #1.

Rich man Chara aka Miro Heiskanen > Nolan Patrick

Asiantuntija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:14 PM
FinnHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxon View Post
Please don't jinx Heiskanen will be HIFK's 1st d-man next season.
He's said he'll stay in one season no matter who drafts him to NHL.

Old
04-21-2017, 02:17 PM
FinnHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiantuntija View Post
He should go #1.

Rich man Chara aka Miro Heiskanen > Nolan Patrick
As cool it would be to see Heiskanen becoming first Finnish 1st overall selection that won't happen.
I don't see teams like Colorado,Vancouver, Detroit, Arizona and Las Vegas passing a franchise center like Hischier, Vilardi,Glass, Andersson or Patrick.
To get TOP4 two way d-man like Heiskanen.

Old
04-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Heiskanen is in the discussion as the best draft-eligible defenceman since Doughty/Karlsson along with Hedman...three different scouts opined to me today that he may well be #1 in the draft..that's how good this kid is....I've had him top five in my rankings since I launched my website Feb. 18...and he has more than justified that with his U18 performance. The only question remaining going into this was how much offensive upside he has..and he's answered that affirmatively needless to say.

As one scout just texted to me from Slovakia - he's much better than Ekblad was, and ..."Heiskanen is a star."

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:43 PM
FinnHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Heiskanen is in the discussion as the best draft-eligible defenceman since Doughty/Karlsson along with Hedman...three different scouts opined to me today that he may well be #1 in the draft..that's how good this kid is....I've had him top five in my rankings since I launched my website Feb. 18...and he has more than justified that with his U18 performance. The only question remaining going into this was how much offensive upside he has..and he's answered that affirmatively needless to say.

As one scout just texted to me from Slovakia - he's much better than Ekblad was, and ..."Heiskanen is a star."
It would be great and very significant thing to Finnish hockey if Heiskanen really becomes first Finnish 1st overall pick.
But the consensus has been all season long the battle first overall selection is Hischier vs Patrick.

I know Patrick has long injury history but i don't see teams like Colorado,Vancouver,Arizona, Detroit and Las Vegas to passing franchise center to get Heiskanen.
If 1st overall pick goes a team who needs defenceman then there's a chance 1st overall pick could be Makar or Heiskanen.

Last edited by FinnHockeyFan: 04-21-2017 at 03:11 PM.