HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

WCQF: (2) Edmonton Oilers vs. (3) San Jose Sharks | Oilers Lead Series 3-2

View Poll Results: With the series tied 2-2...
Oilers in 6 96 41.38%
Oilers in 7 60 25.86%
Sharks in 6 44 18.97%
Sharks in 7 32 13.79%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2017, 04:16 AM
Slicknitty
:[🍕]

vCash: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phu View Post
It's funny to see the different perceptions of the series from each team's fans. Team with the shiny new toy that hasn't been to the dance in a long time is running around without a care in the world.

Other team has been hanging out on the gallows since before the series.
I didn't even peg our team to make the playoffs this year - McDavid or no McDavid (but definitely did want to make a big leap in points compared to the previous year). This is all just gravy right now to be in the first round to me, I can't wait to see this team in a few more years when they really hit their stride and build properly around the young core.

Old
04-21-2017, 04:25 AM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
It's funny to see the different perceptions of the series from each team's fans. Team with the shiny new toy that hasn't been to the dance in a long time is running around without a care in the world.

Other team has been hanging out on the gallows since before the series.

Old
04-21-2017, 04:28 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
I didn't even peg our team to make the playoffs this year - McDavid or no McDavid (but definitely did want to make a big leap in points compared to the previous year). This is all just gravy right now to be in the first round to me, I can't wait to see this team in a few more years when they really hit their stride and build properly around the young core.
Yeah to me the wildest, craziest fantasy I had for this season was relatively matching or coming in just a bit below that wonderful season the Penguins had in Crosby's second year where they went from 60-some points to 100+, made the playoffs, and Crosby won the Art Ross.

If you had told me we'd essentially match that and perhaps even exceed it, I'd have laughed at you and called you a nut.

Old
04-21-2017, 04:30 AM
JoeThorntonsRooster
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
On a human level, I hope that you are able to move past your depression. While we butt heads on here I'm sure that you're a cool person in real life.

I agree that some of our fans were/are way too cocky. I just can't stand when our past is pointed out as a reason that we as a fanbase shouldn't do this or that.
I appreciate that, and I really didn't mean to turn this into a pity party at all. I'm just saying, it's cool, when you're generally feeling less than stimulated by most everything that goes on around you, and then suddenly you watch a playoff game, and have your heart racing and dopamine rushing all around you.

The only time I mention the Oilers past is when they mention the fact that the Sharks have no Cups. I have been heavily outspoken in many different threads telling fans that somebody's favorite team does not make them any more or less qualified to make a post and it does not make their posts any more or less relevant. But when an Oilers fan disses me for not winning a Stanley Cup, I have to tell them that I wasn't even alive for their most recent Cup, and then I have to retaliate by mentioning the more recent history of the two teams.

Old
04-21-2017, 04:38 AM
Phu

Here's one for you oil fans: What did you think of the picks the Oilers ran tonight? There were a TON.

Old
04-21-2017, 04:43 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905PENS View Post
I'm a penguins fan who lives by Toronto... The leafs could come in dead last for an entire decade and still sell out.. And maintain the highest ticket prices in the nhl.
I'd have some doubts. Things were getting already somewhat ugly there with people throwing waffles/jerseys onto the ice and that was after making the playoffs only a couple of years before. Try like 8 straight years of that.

Old
04-21-2017, 04:44 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleauApologist View Post
At the very least, if no other franchise, Toronto and Montreal would have easily done the same.

We did not luck into Thornton or Burns at all. Our GM made two fantastic moves.
I'm fairly sure Montreal even would not sell out. People don't understand how low that got, how ugly that got.

After 5 years, a lot of people would stop going.

I'm just saying good bounces come to franchises sometimes. I mean I recall we had a done deal with Heatley for example and he would not waive to come here, and you guys got him as a result.

We built a team right out of the lockout that went straight the game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals and instead of being rewarded for that, we got tarred and plastered by the Pronger situation.

Old
04-21-2017, 04:45 AM
JoeThorntonsRooster
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'd have some doubts. Things were getting already somewhat ugly there with people throwing waffles/jerseys onto the ice and that was after making the playoffs only a couple of years before. Try like 8 straight years of that.
Your team literally threw jerseys onto the ice too.

Toronto would sell out every single game for every single year for as long as the NHL exists even if they missed the playoffs every single season.

Old
04-21-2017, 04:46 AM
TheNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905PENS View Post
I'm a penguins fan who lives by Toronto... The leafs could come in dead last for an entire decade and still sell out.. And maintain the highest ticket prices in the nhl.
Wow! And with 6 TIMES THE POPULATION TOO! HOLY COW! ALL HAIL TORONTO. MAY WE ALL PRAY AT THE CN TOWER!

Old
04-21-2017, 04:49 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Your team literally threw jerseys onto the ice too.

Toronto would sell out every single game for every single year for as long as the NHL exists even if they missed the playoffs every single season.
Yes ... in like year 8, lol.

Leafs were doing it in like year 2, and their sell out streak ended in 2015 too.

Hockey is life in Edmonton. There's no Toronto Raptors or Blue Jays here. Hockey is to Alberta, especially Northern Alberta what football is to Texas.

Actually I just looked it up ... the Leafs did not sell out entirely the last two years. A few hundred short from the looks of it.

Old
04-21-2017, 04:50 AM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Wow, hockey is apparently serious business. Very, very serious business.

It's a game meant for entertainment purposes. Lighten up, everyone. Drop the holier than thou crap over a damn GAME. That is so sad to see.

Old
04-21-2017, 04:58 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 125
People talking about what the fans deserve when Oilers fans had to sit and watch Californian hockey become relevant entirely at their expense in 88. The hell outta here with that ****.

Old
04-21-2017, 04:59 AM
Phu

Quote:
nice location where any free agent would love to go to,
Actually no. San Jose has proven a VERY hard sell to quality free agents and that is part of the reason the team has struggled to build a truly winning roster.

Then you get these traditional destinations with AWFUL management or situations and players waive for them based on history only.

This is a gripe we SJ fans have.

Old
04-21-2017, 05:06 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Here's one for you oil fans: What did you think of the picks the Oilers ran tonight? There were a TON.
Not an Oilers fan but watching this series, the absurd amount of picks that the Sharks have been setting throughout games 1-4 it's about time the Oilers started doing it right back to them and finding a way to go uncalled.

Old
04-21-2017, 05:18 AM
Soundwave

Anyways props to the Oilers for showing some mental toughness.

Losing 7-0 and then being down 3-1 in this game after hitting the post three times ... would be enough to get many veteran teams to quit, let alone a team this young. But they stuck with it and completely dominated that overtime.

Old
04-21-2017, 05:26 AM
JoeThorntonsRooster
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Yes ... in like year 8, lol.

Leafs were doing it in like year 2, and their sell out streak ended in 2015 too.

Hockey is life in Edmonton. There's no Toronto Raptors or Blue Jays here. Hockey is to Alberta, especially Northern Alberta what football is to Texas.

Actually I just looked it up ... the Leafs did not sell out entirely the last two years. A few hundred short from the looks of it.
Oilers sellout streak ended in 2013 and Leafs sellout streak ended in 2015.

To be fair, I was absolutely convinced both fan bases had sold out every single game in a very, very long time, so I guess I was wrong in both cases.

Old
04-21-2017, 05:31 AM
TheNumber4

Quote:

Wow. Now there's a stat! 6 MILLION people in the GTA area and not passionate enough to fill up the Arena. What a mind blowing hockey stat.

Old
04-21-2017, 05:33 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Oilers sellout streak ended in 2013 and Leafs sellout streak ended in 2015.

To be fair, I was absolutely convinced both fan bases had sold out every single game in a very, very long time, so I guess I was wrong in both cases.
Oilers are pretty close to full capacity since 2005-06 (keep in mind Rexall/Northlands was at one point renovated to make room for larger boxes they reduced the seating to just shy of 17,000):

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=5632

Give or take like 20 people.

Leafs are close, but definitely a bit more empty seats there:

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=8490

At one point the Oilers were also charging more per ticket than the Miami Heat were for an NBA championship team with LeBron James on it, lol. And yeah that's pre-McDavid too.

Old
04-21-2017, 05:34 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
People talking about what the fans deserve when Oilers fans had to sit and watch Californian hockey become relevant entirely at their expense in 88. The hell outta here with that ****.
Fair point.

Old
04-21-2017, 06:31 AM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Not an Oilers fan but watching this series, the absurd amount of picks that the Sharks have been setting throughout games 1-4 it's about time the Oilers started doing it right back to them and finding a way to go uncalled.
This. Also let's not pretend the Sharks stopped doing it.

The only thing I've wanted is the same penalty standards applied to both teams.

Old
04-21-2017, 06:49 AM
Satire

Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
This. Also let's not pretend the Sharks stopped doing it.

The only thing I've wanted is the same penalty standards applied to both teams.
Please for the love of god this. The inconsistency has been killing this series in general.

Old
04-21-2017, 07:25 AM
Dust

I know I commented on this last game and it's funny to see it return, just the crazy roller coaster of emotions game to game by both teams. The return of the Sharks after game 1, the Sharks are done after games 2 and 3, the Oil are done after game 4... on and on from both fanbases.

Curious decision by the Sharks to sit back in the 3rd tonight, it's hard to just turn that intensity back on and attack after you sat back for an entire period and we saw that carry over into the OT.

No team has yet to string together 2 consistent performances yet in this series. I honestly don't see the Oilers winning in San Jose in game 6 but I guess we'll see. If they lost tonight I think they were toast.

Old
04-21-2017, 07:26 AM
nabob
:]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draiskull View Post
Lets not get carried away here... it was just one hit..
It got fans and the bench charged for sure but so did the Lucic hits in first.
If we have learned anything so far its that the momentum means jack between games... only experience matters. The hit itself doesnt do anything for game 6 but maybe now McD knows he can take the body to change things up of needed
Tell that to people who remember the 06 series between these two teams.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:07 AM
Godzilla

I am so happy for Desharnais today. He took so much abuse in Montreal from the fan base here for years, and alot of it was undeserved.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:26 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
I said the same thing since day 1. this is all gravy to myself also.

Closed Thread