HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sabres GM Tim Murray and Head Coach Dan Bylsma have been relieved of their duties

Old
04-20-2017, 11:04 PM
Not Sure

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullus Reverentia View Post
Maybe, but why would Bowman do that. Both of Pegula's teams (Bills and Sabres) have suffered claims about a meddling and impulsive owner. No way Bowman would ever leave for that even if they pulled all the stops out to try.

Byslma deserved to get fired. Murray you can make a decent argument for. However, at the executive level there are major red flags. I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo's going to have a difficult job being competitive for the best front-office personnel.
I don't think I've ever heard anything about the Pegula's "meddling". The complaint from media and fans is that they are too hands off and loyal to a fault. They put people in cushy jobs they don't want to lose which leads to infighting and media leaks about others. People complained they kept Ruff and Reigier a year too long, then hired Nolan as some form of pandering through nostalgia knowing what was to come with the teardown.

People keep confusing what they heard from other teams with what's actually going on. They hear Eichel threw team mates under the bus and believe it without actually listening to the interview and forming their own opinion. Same thing with the whole Eichel ultimatum, headline says Eichel made an ultimatum to management over Bylsma, no one follows up to find out that the author backtracked and now Marty Biron is saying it came from something Hamilton heard about a month ago after a game during the losing streak where Eichel was overheard venting about Bylsma. It wasn't even said to management, it was locker room talk that a reporter decided to run with knowing the Murray sit down with Pegula was about to happen. Hamilton helped get 4 guys hired to garner attention for himself, now people want to pile on Eichel, it's all bs.

Not Sure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:29 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warden of the North View Post
Could you imagine Pierre McGuire at the draft announcing his pick?

It would be the exact opposite of Murray
He'd give a scouting report on the player most likely lmao

Emerica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:49 PM
The Best Leafs Ever

Murray deserved a warning before the nuke, but I wouldn't blame Buffalo owners because Murray's childish behaviour might be the reason they fired him. I think Murray did a good job for putting together the team so quick though, he definitely brought some good players through the trade.

The Best Leafs Ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:56 PM
BiPolarBear

There's a huge problem in Buffalo that none of the hockey media write about and his name is Russ Brandon, a bean counter for the Buffalo Bills who ran the NFL franchise, horribly, during the late Ralph Wilson's declining years, he became Smithers to Ralph's Mr. Burns.

Terry Pegula bought the Sabres because he was filthy rich from fracking natural gas/oil out of Pennsylvania bedrock and the Sabres have been his passion since he was a college kid. He came in to ownership extremely unprepared and naive and I don't think he's learned much since. When he took over the Sabres he had through his Pennsylvania connections a group of ex-Penguin hangers on who advised him, poorly. When Ralph Wilson died Pegula who had invested in real estate development in the area surrounding what's now named Keybank Center Pegula doubled down on his investment in the Buffalo Renaissance by outbidding Donald Trump and MLSE/Bon Jovi for the Bills, by a lot, he paid $1.4B, while the others bid about $1B. As little as he knew about running a hockey team, he knew even less about football. Russ Brandon was the only sign of sentient life at One Bills Drive so Pegula had to keep him around. Brandon is a cunning animal and began consolidating his power base in Pegula's company. The Sabres had a team president already, Ted Black, who was very popular with the fans, he took suggestions, had a weekly radio spot on WGR, and answered emails from fans. Brandon took care of that, Black was fired, no reasons given, a mystery. Guess who succeeded Black as President of the Sabres, of course Russ Brandon, now in control of two franchises despite no qualifications or success to speak of.

For Toronto Raptors/Maple Leafs fans, think Richard Peddie, that's who Russ Brandon is. I have no doubt Brandon's fingers are all over Murray's firing.

Until Pegula wakes up and sees what others from outside see both the Bills and Sabres will struggle.

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:58 PM
Cirris

vCash: 50
Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
He'd give a scouting report on the player most likely lmao
You'd be guaranteed he'd find a way to name drop Dick Pound in his speech. 😂

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:00 AM
93LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattilaus View Post
If that egomaniac wins, it sure as hell won't come from winning ridings in the "416" area code, or at least old Toronto. Maybe some old Ford ridings on the outskirts and some 905 districts. But really, we know if he wins the votes are coming from rural Canada and the West.

93LEAFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:05 AM
Not Sure

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
There's a huge problem in Buffalo that none of the hockey media write about and his name is Russ Brandon, a bean counter for the Buffalo Bills who ran the NFL franchise, horribly, during the late Ralph Wilson's declining years, he became Smithers to Ralph's Mr. Burns.

Terry Pegula bought the Sabres because he was filthy rich from fracking natural gas/oil out of Pennsylvania bedrock and the Sabres have been his passion since he was a college kid. He came in to ownership extremely unprepared and naive and I don't think he's learned much since. When he took over the Sabres he had through his Pennsylvania connections a group of ex-Penguin hangers on who advised him, poorly. When Ralph Wilson died Pegula who had invested in real estate development in the area surrounding what's now named Keybank Center Pegula doubled down on his investment in the Buffalo Renaissance by outbidding Donald Trump and MLSE/Bon Jovi for the Bills, by a lot, he paid $1.4B, while the others bid about $1B. As little as he knew about running a hockey team, he knew even less about football. Russ Brandon was the only sign of sentient life at One Bills Drive so Pegula had to keep him around. Brandon is a cunning animal and began consolidating his power base in Pegula's company. The Sabres had a team president already, Ted Black, who was very popular with the fans, he took suggestions, had a weekly radio spot on WGR, and answered emails from fans. Brandon took care of that, Black was fired, no reasons given, a mystery. Guess who succeeded Black as President of the Sabres, of course Russ Brandon, now in control of two franchises despite no qualifications or success to speak of.

For Toronto Raptors/Maple Leafs fans, think Richard Peddie, that's who Russ Brandon is. I have no doubt Brandon's fingers are all over Murray's firing.

Until Pegula wakes up and sees what others from outside see both the Bills and Sabres will struggle.
So you're saying Pegula and Buffalo are the only reason Trump stayed in politics the past 2 years? Thanks a lot Pegula.

Not Sure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:16 AM
BiPolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
So you're saying Pegula and Buffalo are the only reason Trump stayed in politics the past 2 years? Thanks a lot Pegula.
I think had Trump bought the Bills it would have been less likely that he made his run for the presidency.

So if the world does end in nuclear armageddon within the next 4 years yes you can blame Terry Pegula indirectly!

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:06 AM
HeartforReinheart

vCash: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
I think had Trump bought the Bills it would have been less likely that he made his run for the presidency.

So if the world does end in nuclear armageddon within the next 4 years yes you can blame Terry Pegula indirectly!
lets not be silly. Keep your brainwashed mind away from politics and on hockey.

HeartforReinheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:08 AM
HeartforReinheart

vCash: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81818o8 View Post
So much trashing of Murray. Guy is a very smart hockey man.

To me his biggest mistake was not firing Bylsma early in the season when it was incredibly obvious a change was needed. He also made literally zero roster adjustments all season despite a putrid defense, and didn't move out any expiring assets at the deadline. Rochester being just as awful as the big club was the final straw. Overall I think he deserved more time but I get it. We will always have him to thank for the ROR trade at least.
You talk about Murray being trashed and then you trash him.

HeartforReinheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:11 AM
Deluded Puck

You can't help but factor in clubs like the leafs & oilers making the postseason having an effect on this decision.

Deluded Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:28 AM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

Send a message via MSN to Killerlnstinct
ROFL, the greatest tank general ever gets canned. I mean talk about karma. The guy was putting a team together to fail for better draft picks gets fired for his team playing bad but not on purpose. Made my day, TYVM.

Killerlnstinct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 04:32 AM
Jagemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluded Puck View Post
You can't help but factor in clubs like the leafs & oilers making the postseason having an effect on this decision.
Shouldn't weigh in at all. Oilers rebuild is much longer than the Sabres and the draft picks by Leafs also outweigh the ones that the Sabres have had (Top 3 picks).

Aaaanyway before this turns into a pissing match I personally think Murray getting too hung up on Bylsma was his biggest mistake.

Jagemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 04:43 AM
IPW

IPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 05:10 AM
loyaltotheend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagemon View Post
Shouldn't weigh in at all. Oilers rebuild is much longer than the Sabres and the draft picks by Leafs also outweigh the ones that the Sabres have had (Top 3 picks).

Aaaanyway before this turns into a pissing match I personally think Murray getting too hung up on Bylsma was his biggest mistake.
Murray/Bylsma had to go, Sabres will be better for it. Lot of foundation there.

Just wondering what you're getting at about Leafs having more top-3 picks than Buffalo? We've only had one.

loyaltotheend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 05:23 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Wasn't expecting both of them to be canned...

be an interesting summer in Buffalo that's for sure.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 05:36 AM
James Franco

Murray was a pos. Good riddance. His plan was to lose his way to contention, what a joke. I mean that can work in a city where you can sell out arenas every night but ice a pos team for a decade but its just not realistic in most circumstances. Literally banked everything on drafting McDavid. Honestly I don't have much respect for GMs that blatantly tank.

James Franco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 05:43 AM
Soundwave

That McDavid/Eichel lottery will haunt Murray for a long time.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:18 AM
Syckle78

vCash: 712
Hope I never see Murray's stupid face again. That face....just so annoying.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:25 AM
Hasek

LOL @ the simpsons gif. Murray's face blends so well with Homer? body.

Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:31 AM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
I don't think I've ever heard anything about the Pegula's "meddling". The complaint from media and fans is that they are too hands off and loyal to a fault. They put people in cushy jobs they don't want to lose which leads to infighting and media leaks about others. People complained they kept Ruff and Reigier a year too long, then hired Nolan as some form of pandering through nostalgia knowing what was to come with the teardown.

People keep confusing what they heard from other teams with what's actually going on. They hear Eichel threw team mates under the bus and believe it without actually listening to the interview and forming their own opinion. Same thing with the whole Eichel ultimatum, headline says Eichel made an ultimatum to management over Bylsma, no one follows up to find out that the author backtracked and now Marty Biron is saying it came from something Hamilton heard about a month ago after a game during the losing streak where Eichel was overheard venting about Bylsma. It wasn't even said to management, it was locker room talk that a reporter decided to run with knowing the Murray sit down with Pegula was about to happen. Hamilton helped get 4 guys hired to garner attention for himself, now people want to pile on Eichel, it's all bs.
It's seen written a lot with the Bills. I've never seen it about the Sabres too until the Eichel story broke.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:54 AM
Garthinater

Quote:
He never said players were happy to be in the NHL, he said "there's a difference between saying you want to win and devoting your life to it. Guys can't just be happy to be in the NHL, they need to put in the work." went on to say "I'm not calling anyone a passenger, I love the guys in the locker room". I'm paraphrasing but that's what the actual statement was about. The headline made it seem like Eichel came out and said guys in the locker room are happy to be in the NHL, when he actually was discussing what it takes to win, himself included.

Just like NBC or ESPN, I forget which, had a headline after Reinhart's benching that said "Reinhart says benching was a stretch" in actuality the statement was "I was 5 mins late for a team stretch". Look it up, I'm not making this up.
Cool thanks not sure. I could definitely see media spinning that one for views and a reaction. Still I'm going to try and find a link so I can see what he said word for word.

What about the the whole " jack won't resign if the coach is still there" rumor?

Garthinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:42 AM
Mattilaus

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthinater View Post
Cool thanks not sure. I could definitely see media spinning that one for views and a reaction. Still I'm going to try and find a link so I can see what he said word for word.

What about the the whole " jack won't resign if the coach is still there" rumor?
Paul Hamilton backtracked on that mere hours after he posted it. Several news outlets such a TBN and TSN have brought out articles indicating it never happened. There have also been additional articles saying it did happen but all those seem to just quote the original Paul Hamilton article which, as indicated earlier, he has backtracked from, and do not have any sources of their own for that information.

Bottom line, one terrible reporter put it out there without any source and now it's too far out there to reel it back in despite the fact it has shown to be false.

Mattilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:44 AM
marioni

Eichel just did the Sabres' organization a favor, imho.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:51 AM
pigpen65

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyRegier View Post
Lehner hasn't delivered? Top 10, might even be top 5 in save % and gaa in age 24-25 season on the 26th worst team in the league behind one of the worst, if not the worst defense in the league.

Lehner was one of the few bright spots. Biggest issue was Bylsma's mere presence. Now that he's gone the Sabres true talent will show up next April/hopefully into May
Lehner is a choker. Nilsson was better.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote