HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Karl Alzner

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2017, 09:11 AM
  #26
broad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,174
vCash: 500
It's incredibly sad to see a defense that's supposed to have 4 or 5 top pairing defenders be so ****.

Shattenkirk can be excused since he's new and was never good defensively.

Alzner and Carlson on the other hand are simply dreadful. I was convinced that they were going to be our anchors for a long time after that series where we beat the Rangers.

Orpik is as dumb as a rock and about as mobile as one too.

It's all on Niskanen and Orlov now. Schmidt too.

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:11 AM
  #27
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolar Caps View Post
Wasn't Poti another one that was plagued with injuries in that region that ended his career.

The bigger question is how we can protect Nate Schmidt so that McPhee doesn't grab him.
Poti too although his was like some kind of hip issue too? I can't remember. But year he fell off a cliff just like they did.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:16 AM
  #28
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broad View Post
It's incredibly sad to see a defense that's supposed to have 4 or 5 top pairing defenders be so ****.

Shattenkirk can be excused since he's new and was never good defensively.

Alzner and Carlson on the other hand are simply dreadful. I was convinced that they were going to be our anchors for a long time after that series where we beat the Rangers.

Orpik is as dumb as a rock and about as mobile as one too.

It's all on Niskanen and Orlov now. Schmidt too.
I know this is not the thread or perhaps the time to discuss it, but I'm with you on Carlson. Perhaps he's battling an injury, but I would seriously consider moving him in the off season. I wouldn't object to a Carlson and MAJO to the Flyers for Wayne Simmonds.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:40 AM
  #29
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolar Caps View Post
I know this is not the thread or perhaps the time to discuss it, but I'm with you on Carlson. Perhaps he's battling an injury, but I would seriously consider moving him in the off season. I wouldn't object to a Carlson and MAJO to the Flyers for Wayne Simmonds.
Carlson was outstanding last night I thought.

His problem all season was more Alzner related. Alzner dragged down whoever he played with.

Suddenly when Carlson is paired with Schmidt he looks 10x better.

Also Johansson has been playing pretty good. Things are going to break his way sooner rather than later.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 04:19 PM
  #30
RandyHolt
Registered Loser
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 30,113
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolar Caps View Post
Wasn't Poti another one that was plagued with injuries in that region that ended his career.

The bigger question is how we can protect Nate Schmidt so that McPhee doesn't grab him.
Keep scratching him.

Feature and dangle Grubby this playoffs

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:13 PM
  #31
maybam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Carlson was outstanding last night I thought.

His problem all season was more Alzner related. Alzner dragged down whoever he played with.

Suddenly when Carlson is paired with Schmidt he looks 10x better.

Also Johansson has been playing pretty good. Things are going to break his way sooner rather than later.
Alzner, Carlson and Shatty all look better when paired with Schmidt.

Maybe Schmidt is more dynamic than people give him credit for.

maybam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:57 AM
  #32
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybam View Post
Alzner, Carlson and Shatty all look better when paired with Schmidt.

Maybe Schmidt is more dynamic than people give him credit for.
Orpik too I'd say.

The kid is a pretty incredible skater and he's gotten better and better each year.

There is no way he should be removed from the lineup when Alzner gets back.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:10 AM
  #33
RandyHolt
Registered Loser
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 30,113
vCash: 50
With BCon and and 4 getting very low TOI, I am thinking it may be wise to roll with 7 D when Alzner comes back.

Carlson may be limping. Alzner may be still sore when he gets back in. We got burned last year being short on D. Orpik seems never far from getting tossed out of a playoff game. We need Schmidt's, dare I say it, dynamic offensive forays since no other D seem to be contributing on O. The series is high scoring, we need goals.

Does anyone remember what happened in Alzner in game 1? I remember someone thinking he got hit in the back with a shot.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:13 AM
  #34
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
With BCon and and 4 getting very low TOI, I am thinking it may be wise to roll with 7 D when Alzner comes back.

Carlson may be limping. Alzner may be still sore when he gets back in. We got burned last year being short on D. Orpik seems never far from getting tossed out of a playoff game.

Does anyone remember what happened in Alzner in game 1? I remember someone thinking he got hit in the back with a shot.
That would be interesting. I don't recall the last time the Caps have done that tho.....was it the 3D game???? I know Wilson many times used 7D especially when we had Housley (who was only used on PP or when we were trailing) or Klee (who could play F at times)

The problem is that we have too many good D that are not used to playing 10-15 minutes a game. The ones that are (Orlov and Schmidt) are currently 2 of our 3 best Dmen so they'd have to play.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:46 AM
  #35
RandyHolt
Registered Loser
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 30,113
vCash: 50
Just roll the normal D pairs and TOI, put Schmiddy at 4RW where we see him in his offensive forays anyways.

He does just fine getting into games after being scratched. He is the 5 minute 4th line RW until emergency strikes. He is our insurance plan.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:56 AM
  #36
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Just roll the normal D pairs and TOI, put Schmiddy at 4RW where we see him in his offensive forays anyways.

He does just fine getting into games after being scratched. He is the 5 minute 4th line RW until emergency strikes. He is our insurance plan.
Good in theory I guess but that will never happen.

Every tiny mistake gets magnified in the playoffs and to ask a dman who has never played F to do so in such a situation is asking for trouble.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:00 AM
  #37
RandyHolt
Registered Loser
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 30,113
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Good in theory I guess but that will never happen.

Every tiny mistake gets magnified in the playoffs and to ask a dman who has never played F to do so in such a situation is asking for trouble.
Agreed, but have long thought that defensemen can easily move to forward. Its the other way around that is a much larger concern.

But it likely wouldn't be more trouble than we found us in after Alzner bowed out with his groin, and Orpik took penalties in game 6 a year ago

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:08 AM
  #38
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Agreed, but have long thought that defensemen can easily move to forward. Its the other way around that is a much larger concern.

But it likely wouldn't be more trouble than we found us in after Alzner bowed out with his groin, and Orpik took penalties in game 6 a year ago
You just don't see it anymore RE: 7D with one subbing in at F

It was more prevalent in the 80s and 90s but the game has become so specialized and tactical that its a very risky move.

If we go 7D then we will just use them as D and roll with 11 forwards leaning on the top 3 lines mainly.

Ideally Connolly steps up in the few minutes he gets and enhances his confidence.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:17 AM
  #39
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,926
vCash: 500
It would be a low bar to match Connolly's effectiveness. Split his 5-6 minutes between the rest of the wingers and give him a chance to watch a game from the press box.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:26 AM
  #40
RandyHolt
Registered Loser
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 30,113
vCash: 50
I am thinking rolling only 11 forwards, will be more risky vs RW Schmidt and 4 getting 2 shifts a period. Unless, Barry had already decided he was double shifting Ovi, perhaps.

Rolling 7D at D, seems the door is open for confusion and makes the coaches job more difficult running the lines, for this requires both forward and D to be running lopsided all game long.

I suppose it wouldn't be much different from back in the day when fights/10's were prevalent, and coaches had to roll 11F or 5 D for vast stretches.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:32 AM
  #41
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am thinking rolling only 11 forwards, will be more risky vs RW Schmidt and 4 getting 2 shifts a period. Unless, Barry had already decided he was double shifting Ovi, perhaps.

Rolling 7D at D, seems the door is open for confusion and makes the coaches job more difficult running the lines, for this requires both forward and D to be running lopsided all game long.

I suppose it wouldn't be much different from back in the day when fights/10's were prevalent, and coaches had to roll 11F or 5 D for vast stretches.
Or just give Ovechkin the extra 4 minutes that Connolly gets and have him just crush people playing on the 4th line. Its pretty simple to me. He needs more than 15-16 minutes anyhow.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:47 AM
  #42
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 500
Why would you move Schmidt, who is playing well on the blueline and producing offense from back there, just so you can insert someone who was playing poorly and has been for a decent chunk of the season? That seems like a lose/lose just to have a fall back for something that statistically isn't all that likely to happen.

Alzner sits until someone else has to come out of the lineup IMO.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:07 AM
  #43
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 37,338
vCash: 500
Assuming he's healthy enough to play today, I agree. I said 88 would get his chance to prove himself when someone was hurt. Alzner needs to wait for his own opportunity now since his play has been down this year overall.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:25 AM
  #44
twabby
Registered User
 
twabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,349
vCash: 500
I think the question isn't between Schmidt or Alzner at this point but rather Orpik or Alzner. Certainly Orpik is going a fine job with the physicality but he's not really doing a good job in front of his own net at all and he has a knack for taking some really dumb penalties while Alzner is typically very disciplined.

If Alzner's healthy I think you have to take out Orpik and put in Alzner.

twabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:30 AM
  #45
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 37,338
vCash: 500
Orpik is entrenched in the lineup because of his presence and physicality. YOU want it to be between them (everyone knows your long dislike of 44), but I doubt it is. It's between 27 and 88 for that last spot. 44 is deeply trusted imo and would have to be hurt and terrible to be subbed IMO.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:42 AM
  #46
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Orpik is entrenched in the lineup because of his presence and physicality. YOU want it to be between them (everyone knows your long dislike of 44), but I doubt it is. It's between 27 and 88 for that last spot. 44 is deeply trusted imo and would have to be hurt and terrible to be subbed IMO.
Yeah I think the coaching staff really like Orpik and unless he is hurt he will be playing.

We can't see what happens in the locker room but from all accounts he is a big voice in there.

Him and Alzner fill the same role but Orpik brings a physical presence that Alzner doesn't. Neither have been particulary good in their own end so far.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:46 AM
  #47
twabby
Registered User
 
twabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Orpik is entrenched in the lineup because of his presence and physicality. YOU want it to be between them (everyone knows your long dislike of 44), but I doubt it is. It's between 27 and 88 for that last spot. 44 is deeply trusted imo and would have to be hurt and terrible to be subbed IMO.
I'm not the only one:



Last edited by twabby: 04-21-2017 at 11:04 AM.
twabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:59 AM
  #48
Bananas
****
 
Bananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,125
vCash: 504
Are you guys serious?

Are people saying you send Schmidt back to the press box?

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:08 PM
  #49
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca
 
AlexBrovechkin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Old Town, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
Are you guys serious?

Are people saying you send Schmidt back to the press box?
Don't see a single person suggesting they would do that or want to see that happen. People are just saying it appears Orpik is untouchable with regards to him getting a sweater every night, so if Alzner is coming back in then it's for Schmidt (or for an injured defenseman).

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 06:09 AM
  #50
third man in
Registered User
 
third man in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 3,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Carlson was outstanding last night I thought.

His problem all season was more Alzner related. Alzner dragged down whoever he played with.

Suddenly when Carlson is paired with Schmidt he looks 10x better.

Also Johansson has been playing pretty good. Things are going to break his way sooner rather than later.
Agreed, sadly the problem is Alzner. I don't know if Trotz puts in Schmidt if Alzner is healthy, but man he's made a huge difference. Anyone that signs Alzner at more than 4 per is going to really regret it.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.