HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Food Thread

Old
04-20-2017, 08:28 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

vCash: 265
Jim Beam is really bad, IMO. If I want a cheap bourbon, I'll pick up Wild Turkey. Or for a few bucks more, you can get Bulleit which is actually very drinkable, even on its own.

The Bulleit 10 year (less than $50) is really good, too. I've made myself a few Old Fashioneds with that lately.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:30 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I am far from a connaisseur but for bourbon I do enjoy Buffalo Trace. Perfect for an Old Fashioned.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:31 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I am far from a connaisseur but for bourbon I do enjoy Buffalo Trace. Perfect for an Old Fashioned.
Buffalo Trace is what got me into bourbon. I wanted to use something for a whiskey sour so I picked up a bottle. I eventually tried it straight and quite enjoyed it. I've tried nearly every bourbon we can get at the SAQ (not the best selection), and it's not my favourite, but still very drinkable.

Old
04-20-2017, 08:39 AM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Jim Beam is really bad, IMO. If I want a cheap bourbon, I'll pick up Wild Turkey. Or for a few bucks more, you can get Bulleit which is actually very drinkable, even on its own.

The Bulleit 10 year (less than $50) is really good, too. I've made myself a few Old Fashioneds with that lately.
Yep....
On a budget, or simply if you expect to cook with the bourbon at some point (along with drinking it), Wild Turkey is perfectly acceptable.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Paul Dipietro

So let's say someone is going to the States next week. What 2 bottles of booze should this theoretical person bring back (either not available here or significantly cheaper)? The theoretical person thanks you in advance

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:10 AM
jaffy27
From Russia wth Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
So let's say someone is going to the States next week. What 2 bottles of booze should this theoretical person bring back (either not available here or significantly cheaper)? The theoretical person thanks you in advance
Depends what you like.....I find the vodkas down there pretty cheap, Baileys is pretty cheap too, same with Grand Marnier. I find Florida has the cheaper and better selections. Find yourself an ABC liquor store, a big one, and you'll find something. Plus, Florida has a nice selection of rums

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:10 AM
MXD

Quote:
1 pack of Heady Topper, 1 pack of SOS, 1 pack of Skadoosh or Focal Banger or Second Fiddle or wheatever Four Quarters has canned at that point or that IPA from 14th Star whose name I can't remember, and three Hill Farmstead Growlers/bottles.

X 2 if you're 2.
x 2 if you have no issue with paying extra taxes.

Oh wait... Are we talking about the States or about Vermont? Two completely different places as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by MXD: 04-20-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old
04-20-2017, 09:29 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
Depends what you like.....I find the vodkas down there pretty cheap, Baileys is pretty cheap too, same with Grand Marnier. I find Florida has the cheaper and better selections. Find yourself an ABC liquor store, a big one, and you'll find something. Plus, Florida has a nice selection of rums
The theoretical person is going to Naples . I'll ... err I mean this person will keep an eye on the hard stuff (more bang per bottle). Big fan of rum so that's going on the list

Old
04-20-2017, 09:31 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
1 pack of Heady Topper, 1 pack of SOS, 1 pack of Skadoosh or Focal Banger or Second Fiddle or wheatever Four Quarters has canned at that point or that IPA from 14th Star whose name I can't remember, and three Hill Farmstead Growlers/bottles.

X 2 if you're 2.
x 2 if you have no issue with paying extra taxes.

Oh wait... Are we talking about the States or about Vermont? Two completely different places as far as I'm concerned.
I'll be sure to sample some of these while I'm there (not sure I want the hassle of flying beer back home from Florida). Thanks!

Old
04-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

If you like stouts and are able to find this one, pick it up. It's incredible.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:49 AM
tritone

For Bourbon

Rum - El Dorado 12 year (aprrox 30$ SAQ)
Bourbon - Elijah Craig's (approx 50$)
Gin - Bombay Sapphire (approx 30$)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg bourbon.jpeg‎ (154.6 KB, 1 views)

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:56 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
You bring back what you drink and like
In the past 2 trips, I've brought back 2 huge Appleton bottles and a baileys and Grand Marnier because they're so freak in cheap compared to here.

Baileys is for the wife and me sometimes in my coffee and a few friends like GM

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:03 AM
MXD

Quote:
I'll be sure to sample some of these while I'm there (not sure I want the hassle of flying beer back home from Florida). Thanks!
You're highly unlikely to find any of these in Florida.

However, when in Florida, a trip to Cigar City is obviously in order.

Old
04-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Paul Dipietro

I think my week is set. Thanks folks

Old
04-20-2017, 04:53 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Anything you like in a big format. When I went to New Hampshire few years back all the bottles I looked at were almost 33% of the price here. a 60oz of Jack's was less than a 26oz here. Same for Bailey's. The Gallo rosé wine was like 3$... that's off the top of my head. Ridiculous.

I filled up the car and suitcases and told my girlfriend to shut up at the border, dealt with it

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:51 AM
Runner77

vCash: 1613
Heard an interesting bit from a pharmacist on 98.5 yesterday re alcohol. Just caught the tail end, I wish I had heard the rest.

He mentioned that the darker the color of the alcohol, the more the liver has to work to eliminate it from the body and the longer it takes. Guess this gives an edge to vodka and gin.

Second, he said that any alcohol beverage that contains bubbles gets to the brain faster (beer, champagne, etc.). Well, good to know but not really an issue in this thread where the focus is more on hard liquor.

And finally, if you wind up with a hangover or a headache further to partaking in alcohol, do not take pain relievers that contain acetaminophen, like Tylenol. Instead, you should be taking aspirin.

Can anyone with a medical background validate any of these points?

Runner77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:06 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Yep....
On a budget, or simply if you expect to cook with the bourbon at some point (along with drinking it), Wild Turkey is perfectly acceptable.
I bought that as a decoy for my girlfriend when she started to like scotch... on ice. I do have one every once in a while.

Any other "sleeper"/underrated scotch/bourbon/rum recommendations?

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:25 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Heard an interesting bit from a pharmacist on 98.5 yesterday re alcohol. Just caught the tail end, I wish I had heard the rest.

He mentioned that the darker the color of the alcohol, the more the liver has to work to eliminate it from the body and the longer it takes. Guess this gives an edge to vodka and gin.

Second, he said that any alcohol beverage that contains bubbles gets to the brain faster (beer, champagne, etc.). Well, good to know but not really an issue in this thread where the focus is more on hard liquor.

And finally, if you wind up with a hangover or a headache further to partaking in alcohol, do not take pain relievers that contain acetaminophen, like Tylenol. Instead, you should be taking aspirin.

I understand that you didn't get the whole interview, but...

Doesn't the "darker" color in AT LEAST SOME spirits often come from aging in barrels? And in which case, what does that have to do with the stomach eliminating anything?

As for bubbles, that sortof makes sense, as bubbles are mostly CO2 "absorbed" in the liquid. That's how it works for beer at least.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:36 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I have a pretty large bourbon/scotch collection, though I am an serious need of a restock of some bottles...

The choices here are good ones. Buffalo Trace is probably my favorite of the cheaper stuff. Basil Hayden's is also good by itself. I don't really mix drinks with bourbon, prefer it by itself.

Scotch I like em all... I have a really rare bottle from a tiny distillery in Speyside, only 200 bottles exist. Also like the classics like Lagavulin and Cardhu.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:57 PM
Runner77

vCash: 1613
Quote:
I understand that you didn't get the whole interview, but...

Doesn't the "darker" color in AT LEAST SOME spirits often come from aging in barrels? And in which case, what does that have to do with the stomach eliminating anything?
The pharmacist said that the liver (and not the stomach) has to work harder to eliminate darker colored alcohol. I'm just looking for the rationale, I don't know the reason.

Runner77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:20 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
The pharmacist said that the liver (and not the stomach) has to work harder to eliminate darker colored alcohol. I'm just looking for the rationale, I don't know the reason.
It's been explained to me in the past that quite often, the phenols and other compounds that add colour and or flavour are more complex than ethanol and take more energy and time for the liver to process. That always sounded like a legitimate explanation to me.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 03:23 PM
MasterD

Quote:

Not sure about the dark color taking longer to be excreted, but I'd imagine it's because on top of the ethanol the liver has other stuff to eliminate (coloring, wood particles from the barrels, whatever).

As for tylenol, it's metabolized by the liver, which is already busy metabolizing your booze. Tylenol can be a cause of hepatic failure if taken in too large quantities and your liver can't process it fast enough. Also, if you boozed up quite good, you're probably dehydrated which increases blood concentration of acetaminophen.

That said, NSAIDs (like advil, motrin, aleve, naproxen, voltaren...) and aspirin can affect your kidneys, so stil got to be somewhat careful with dosage and frequency.
https://www.goodrx.com/blog/is-ibupr...r-and-kidneys/

PS I didn't hear the interview, but I'm pretty sure they would have recommended NSAIDs before aspirin. Aspirin isn't really used anymore outside of preventative measures for heart patients/stroke

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote