HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is J Toews worth his contract?

Old
04-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 620
If Ryan McDonagh captained the Rangers to 3 cups, I'd give him whatever he wanted on his next contract even if it did handcuff the team.

So no, he's not worth it, but he earned it anyway.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:43 PM
TheLegend27
Drouin is bae

vCash: 565
He's good but not 10.5 mil good. Certainly at least a low or mid tier 1c. Having a very nice bounce-back season.

TheLegend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 07:41 PM
Dart Guy
Rookie User

vCash: 500
If I were a hawks fan I would be happy with the cups too but this contract is an albatross already.

Dart Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:24 PM
nords1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toews Era View Post
Mcdavid had a higher ppg than crosby, that was obviously going to happen as mcdavid kept piling them on at the end of the season. You actually incorrectly keep using total points in every comparison because toews missed 10 games. Im glad we all agree though that toews has a higher ppg over the past two seasons, despite bergeron playing every shift with marchand. Good. And much higher ppg and gpg for his career, and its not even close in the playoffs. When you have to pay krejci to carry the offense and bergeron to carry the defense, obviously you have to pay them less.
Jesus... Toews is better. Played with ahl players. Does pull the ofensive load and defensive load. Also Chicago is not superieur on defence. They do not have puck moving defencement... and Kane never plays with Toews. Toews deserved 12 millions ... he is a bargain at 10.5millions. He also won one Selke and is great at faceoff.. and gets in the last 2 years a better productin of what ....0.166 or something like that .... but that he is alot, because Marchand had a great year. What has Bergeron won.?

Now Toews is also a good leader and winner... Preds player just said it tonite.

Toews is better than Crosby!

nords1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:31 PM
hockeyfan2k11

This is what comes with winning 3 Cups. You're going to be forced into some meh contracts. A lot of teams face the same situation and don't have 3 cups to show for it.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:46 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
This is what comes with winning 3 Cups. You're going to be forced into some meh contracts. A lot of teams face the same situation and don't have 3 cups to show for it.
This is about 40% too much. It isn't 'meh'.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:17 AM
HowsUrBreath

you don't pay somebody based on what they did in the past, you pay them based on what they can do for you in the future

a toews jersey will never go out of style in chicago even if he's on another team, and even if it did winning cures all nobody will stop being a hawks fan if the new guy helps the team win after replacing toews

you hawk fans would really rather keep him with that awful contract over a equal player at a cheaper price all because of "memories", that is crazy

you don't marry a girl that is 250 pounds because she was a bikini model years ago

HowsUrBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:00 AM
JaegerDice
Q Gonna Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowsUrBreath View Post
you don't pay somebody based on what they did in the past, you pay them based on what they can do for you in the future

a toews jersey will never go out of style in chicago even if he's on another team, and even if it did winning cures all nobody will stop being a hawks fan if the new guy helps the team win after replacing toews

you hawk fans would really rather keep him with that awful contract over a equal player at a cheaper price all because of "memories", that is crazy

you don't marry a girl that is 250 pounds because she was a bikini model years ago

1) This is a wonderful little fantasy world that ignores the reality of the CBA and the fact that players, currently on gain the right to make as much money as possible when they hit UFA AFTER THEIR PEAK YEARS.

2) Make me a Blackhawks roster without Toews that is better than the roster with Toews. Head to cap friendly, look at the UFA's available in the summer of 2015, propose some REALISTIC trades, and fill me out a roster that is more than a playoff bubble team AT BEST without Toews.

Last edited by JaegerDice: 04-21-2017 at 01:10 AM.
JaegerDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:38 AM
FissionFire

He wasn't worth it the moment he put pen to paper and signed his name and every season that passes he will be worth it even less.

04-21-2017, 07:40 AM
marioni

Year 1 of Toews' contract - 58 points in regular season, Hawks out in 1st round.
Year 2 of Toews' contract - 58 points in regular season, Hawks out in 1st round.

No, he's not worth his contract.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:44 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaegerDice View Post
1) This is a wonderful little fantasy world that ignores the reality of the CBA and the fact that players, currently on gain the right to make as much money as possible when they hit UFA AFTER THEIR PEAK YEARS.

2) Make me a Blackhawks roster without Toews that is better than the roster with Toews. Head to cap friendly, look at the UFA's available in the summer of 2015, propose some REALISTIC trades, and fill me out a roster that is more than a playoff bubble team AT BEST without Toews.
Next CBA negotiation the owners should ask for elimination of the guaranteed contract, just like the NFL. If a player isn't earning the money, no reason the GM shouldn't be able to cut him.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:07 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Next CBA negotiation the owners should ask for elimination of the guaranteed contract, just like the NFL. If a player isn't earning the money, no reason the GM shouldn't be able to cut him.
Okay so in that scenario I guess it would be fair for a player like Matthews to demand $8 million/year after this summer? He's outperforming his contract right? Works both ways my friend.

The NFL's system is different, and arguably complete BS. They get away with it though because they're the only game in town. In the NHL's case, yeah it's a pain for a guy to travel over to Russia to play, but it's still a ton of money. A contract is a contract, unless it's with a billionaire NFL owner, in which case they can void it at any time. That's the definition of unfair. On the other hand, they do give out massive signing bonuses to make up for this. Would NHL owners be comfortable handing every half decent player millions, even tens of millions, up front? Regardless that'd be a great way to screw about 10 teams from actually competing.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:11 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Okay so in that scenario I guess it would be fair for a player like Matthews to demand $8 million/year after this summer? He's outperforming his contract right? Works both ways my friend.

The NFL's system is different, and arguably complete BS. A contract is a contract, unless it's with a billionaire NFL owner, in which case they can void it at any time. That's the definition of unfair. On the other hand, they do give out massive signing bonuses to make up for this. Would NHL owners be comfortable handing every half decent player millions, even tens of millions, up front? Regardless that'd be a great way to screw about 10 teams from actually competing.
Sure it works both ways, and the NHLPA has never cared about rookies coming into the league.

Frankly, as a fan I don't care what is fair or isn't fair to the players. I am interested in the quality of the product on the ice. Having players like Kopitar and Toews on $10M contracts for the next 6-7 years waters down the product on the ice.

The NFL system isn't BS when it comes to putting the best players on the field for the fans to watch. Ultimately, it's the paying customer that matters.

Last edited by KINGS17: 04-21-2017 at 08:17 AM.
KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:53 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaegerDice View Post

While true, that still doesn't mean he's worth it - just that Chicago had no choice in the matter.

04-21-2017, 10:15 AM
ChiHawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioni View Post
Year 1 of Toews' contract - 58 points in regular season, Hawks out in 1st round.
Year 2 of Toews' contract - 58 points in regular season, Hawks out in 1st round.

No, he's not worth his contract.
so is mckinnon worth his contract? or duchene?

ChiHawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:35 AM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post
so is mckinnon worth his contract? or duchene?
Lol, they aren't making $10.5mil.

Actually, cap hit is $10.5mil. Toews made $13.5mil these last two seasons.

So I'm gonna go with, no he is not worth the contract.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:44 AM
Blueton

Is he WORTH it? Not at all.
Does he DESERVE it? Hawks fans and FO will say yes.

So that's the answer I think.

Blueton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:44 AM
BraveCanadian

Great player, but no.

That amount handicaps them too much for the production he gives them.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:33 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Sure it works both ways, and the NHLPA has never cared about rookies coming into the league.

Frankly, as a fan I don't care what is fair or isn't fair to the players. I am interested in the quality of the product on the ice. Having players like Kopitar and Toews on $10M contracts for the next 6-7 years waters down the product on the ice.

The NFL system isn't BS when it comes to putting the best players on the field for the fans to watch. Ultimately, it's the paying customer that matters.
The NHL owners know exactly what they're getting into with those contracts, and if you really think cutting players out of contracts agreed upon in full by both parties is simply for "the good of the game" I don't know what to say. The rich get richer. It's not because Goodell and the league just love the fans.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:35 PM
NastyNick

Toews is one of the top 100 players of all time. Hes worth every penny.

NastyNick is online now   Reply With Quote