HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is J Toews worth his contract?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2017, 11:59 AM
  #201
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin
 
Thordic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kearny, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,348
vCash: 620
If Ryan McDonagh captained the Rangers to 3 cups, I'd give him whatever he wanted on his next contract even if it did handcuff the team.

So no, he's not worth it, but he earned it anyway.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:43 PM
  #202
TheLegend27
Drouin is bae
 
TheLegend27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,130
vCash: 565
He's good but not 10.5 mil good. Certainly at least a low or mid tier 1c. Having a very nice bounce-back season.

TheLegend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 07:41 PM
  #203
Dart Guy
Rookie User
 
Dart Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Beaver City
Country: Canada
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
If I were a hawks fan I would be happy with the cups too but this contract is an albatross already.

Dart Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:24 PM
  #204
nords1995
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ville de Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toews Era View Post
Mcdavid had a higher ppg than crosby, that was obviously going to happen as mcdavid kept piling them on at the end of the season. You actually incorrectly keep using total points in every comparison because toews missed 10 games. Im glad we all agree though that toews has a higher ppg over the past two seasons, despite bergeron playing every shift with marchand. Good. And much higher ppg and gpg for his career, and its not even close in the playoffs. When you have to pay krejci to carry the offense and bergeron to carry the defense, obviously you have to pay them less.
Jesus... Toews is better. Played with ahl players. Does pull the ofensive load and defensive load. Also Chicago is not superieur on defence. They do not have puck moving defencement... and Kane never plays with Toews. Toews deserved 12 millions ... he is a bargain at 10.5millions. He also won one Selke and is great at faceoff.. and gets in the last 2 years a better productin of what ....0.166 or something like that .... but that he is alot, because Marchand had a great year. What has Bergeron won.?

Now Toews is also a good leader and winner... Preds player just said it tonite.

Toews is better than Crosby!

nords1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:31 PM
  #205
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11,405
vCash: 500
This is what comes with winning 3 Cups. You're going to be forced into some meh contracts. A lot of teams face the same situation and don't have 3 cups to show for it.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:46 PM
  #206
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan
 
PatriceBergeronFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,333
vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
This is what comes with winning 3 Cups. You're going to be forced into some meh contracts. A lot of teams face the same situation and don't have 3 cups to show for it.
This is about 40% too much. It isn't 'meh'.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:17 AM
  #207
HowsUrBreath
Registered User
 
HowsUrBreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
you don't pay somebody based on what they did in the past, you pay them based on what they can do for you in the future

a toews jersey will never go out of style in chicago even if he's on another team, and even if it did winning cures all nobody will stop being a hawks fan if the new guy helps the team win after replacing toews

you hawk fans would really rather keep him with that awful contract over a equal player at a cheaper price all because of "memories", that is crazy

you don't marry a girl that is 250 pounds because she was a bikini model years ago

HowsUrBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:00 AM
  #208
JaegerDice
Q Gonna Q
 
JaegerDice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 14,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowsUrBreath View Post
you don't pay somebody based on what they did in the past, you pay them based on what they can do for you in the future

a toews jersey will never go out of style in chicago even if he's on another team, and even if it did winning cures all nobody will stop being a hawks fan if the new guy helps the team win after replacing toews

you hawk fans would really rather keep him with that awful contract over a equal player at a cheaper price all because of "memories", that is crazy

you don't marry a girl that is 250 pounds because she was a bikini model years ago

1) This is a wonderful little fantasy world that ignores the reality of the CBA and the fact that players, currently on gain the right to make as much money as possible when they hit UFA AFTER THEIR PEAK YEARS.

2) Make me a Blackhawks roster without Toews that is better than the roster with Toews. Head to cap friendly, look at the UFA's available in the summer of 2015, propose some REALISTIC trades, and fill me out a roster that is more than a playoff bubble team AT BEST without Toews.


Last edited by JaegerDice: 04-21-2017 at 01:10 AM.
JaegerDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:38 AM
  #209
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 11,471
vCash: 500
He wasn't worth it the moment he put pen to paper and signed his name and every season that passes he will be worth it even less.

__________________
Carpe Diem!!
FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:40 AM
  #210
marioni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,158
vCash: 500
Year 1 of Toews' contract - 58 points in regular season, Hawks out in 1st round.
Year 2 of Toews' contract - 58 points in regular season, Hawks out in 1st round.

No, he's not worth his contract.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:44 AM
  #211
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaegerDice View Post
1) This is a wonderful little fantasy world that ignores the reality of the CBA and the fact that players, currently on gain the right to make as much money as possible when they hit UFA AFTER THEIR PEAK YEARS.

2) Make me a Blackhawks roster without Toews that is better than the roster with Toews. Head to cap friendly, look at the UFA's available in the summer of 2015, propose some REALISTIC trades, and fill me out a roster that is more than a playoff bubble team AT BEST without Toews.
Next CBA negotiation the owners should ask for elimination of the guaranteed contract, just like the NFL. If a player isn't earning the money, no reason the GM shouldn't be able to cut him.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:07 AM
  #212
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 16,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Next CBA negotiation the owners should ask for elimination of the guaranteed contract, just like the NFL. If a player isn't earning the money, no reason the GM shouldn't be able to cut him.
Okay so in that scenario I guess it would be fair for a player like Matthews to demand $8 million/year after this summer? He's outperforming his contract right? Works both ways my friend.

The NFL's system is different, and arguably complete BS. They get away with it though because they're the only game in town. In the NHL's case, yeah it's a pain for a guy to travel over to Russia to play, but it's still a ton of money. A contract is a contract, unless it's with a billionaire NFL owner, in which case they can void it at any time. That's the definition of unfair. On the other hand, they do give out massive signing bonuses to make up for this. Would NHL owners be comfortable handing every half decent player millions, even tens of millions, up front? Regardless that'd be a great way to screw about 10 teams from actually competing.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:11 AM
  #213
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Okay so in that scenario I guess it would be fair for a player like Matthews to demand $8 million/year after this summer? He's outperforming his contract right? Works both ways my friend.

The NFL's system is different, and arguably complete BS. A contract is a contract, unless it's with a billionaire NFL owner, in which case they can void it at any time. That's the definition of unfair. On the other hand, they do give out massive signing bonuses to make up for this. Would NHL owners be comfortable handing every half decent player millions, even tens of millions, up front? Regardless that'd be a great way to screw about 10 teams from actually competing.
Sure it works both ways, and the NHLPA has never cared about rookies coming into the league.

Frankly, as a fan I don't care what is fair or isn't fair to the players. I am interested in the quality of the product on the ice. Having players like Kopitar and Toews on $10M contracts for the next 6-7 years waters down the product on the ice.

The NFL system isn't BS when it comes to putting the best players on the field for the fans to watch. Ultimately, it's the paying customer that matters.


Last edited by KINGS17: 04-21-2017 at 08:17 AM.
KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:53 AM
  #214
Riptide
Registered User
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaegerDice View Post
1) This is a wonderful little fantasy world that ignores the reality of the CBA and the fact that players, currently on gain the right to make as much money as possible when they hit UFA AFTER THEIR PEAK YEARS.

2) Make me a Blackhawks roster without Toews that is better than the roster with Toews. Head to cap friendly, look at the UFA's available in the summer of 2015, propose some REALISTIC trades, and fill me out a roster that is more than a playoff bubble team AT BEST without Toews.
While true, that still doesn't mean he's worth it - just that Chicago had no choice in the matter.

__________________
I've been looking for trouble... but trouble hasn't been cooperating!
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:15 AM
  #215
ChiHawk21
Registered User
 
ChiHawk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioni View Post
Year 1 of Toews' contract - 58 points in regular season, Hawks out in 1st round.
Year 2 of Toews' contract - 58 points in regular season, Hawks out in 1st round.

No, he's not worth his contract.
so is mckinnon worth his contract? or duchene?

ChiHawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:35 AM
  #216
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post
so is mckinnon worth his contract? or duchene?
Lol, they aren't making $10.5mil.

Actually, cap hit is $10.5mil. Toews made $13.5mil these last two seasons.

So I'm gonna go with, no he is not worth the contract.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:44 AM
  #217
Blueton
Registered User
 
Blueton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,952
vCash: 500
Is he WORTH it? Not at all.
Does he DESERVE it? Hawks fans and FO will say yes.


So that's the answer I think.

Blueton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:44 AM
  #218
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,382
vCash: 500
Great player, but no.

That amount handicaps them too much for the production he gives them.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:33 PM
  #219
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 16,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Sure it works both ways, and the NHLPA has never cared about rookies coming into the league.

Frankly, as a fan I don't care what is fair or isn't fair to the players. I am interested in the quality of the product on the ice. Having players like Kopitar and Toews on $10M contracts for the next 6-7 years waters down the product on the ice.

The NFL system isn't BS when it comes to putting the best players on the field for the fans to watch. Ultimately, it's the paying customer that matters.
The NHL owners know exactly what they're getting into with those contracts, and if you really think cutting players out of contracts agreed upon in full by both parties is simply for "the good of the game" I don't know what to say. The rich get richer. It's not because Goodell and the league just love the fans.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:35 PM
  #220
NastyNick
Registered User
 
NastyNick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,507
vCash: 500
Toews is one of the top 100 players of all time. Hes worth every penny.

NastyNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.