HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 NHL Entry Draft Thread II

Old
04-18-2017, 01:44 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
where does Patrick Bajkov go in the draft?

would be interested in Matt Bradley's teammate Max Gerlach who went undrafted last year as well if not late in the draft then perhaps invite him to the development camp. He's a sniper but undersized.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 01:58 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Anyone have thoughts on USNTDP defencemen David Farrance and Tommy Miller? Miller seems a little underrated, I really like his game and size.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 02:08 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I've been interested in Vaakanainen since the start of the season, not a ton on info on the guy though.

He's a great skater and has a good first pass, but what about his offensive upside? Numbers in pro leagues at such a young age rarely mean anything.

If it came down between Vaakanainen and Brannstrom at our pick, who would be the better pick? Even though I'd still rather have us draft a center, if the two BPAs are defensemen, so be it.
Grant seems to think Brännström between the two, and in terms of offensive upside I don't see how anyone could argue.

However, I want to say that a guy with Urho's skating, passing and quick thinking he'd probably be able to figure things out offensively. He could probably get quite a few points just by starting quick counter attacks that end up in odd man rushes.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 09:37 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Patrick drops to #5 in my latest rankings - www.recrutes.ca

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 06:49 PM
bleuetbio

vCash: 723
thanks for your comments and analyze guys. It always appreciate to read you. This place is wonderful. Dont get beef for nothing. All of you are great complements for each others.

I take a close look to Grant's ranking. Man, its gutsy and realy different from many others. I wish that some of the centers listed could pass under the radar. With Knights elimination, I wonder if we could touch to Thomas. I think we have to go for a center this year whatever who is the BPA. I know the guy will be there in 3 years but im pretty sure this position will be a need again and forever.

Last edited by bleuetbio: 04-19-2017 at 06:58 PM.
bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 02:42 AM
Franck
En enda känsla...

vCash: 50
The Habs need to seriously consider drafting defenceman Sebastian Aho in the later rounds.

Small, offensively gifted 21-year-old left-handed defender from Skellefteå in his last year of draft eligibility who has inexplicably been passed over three times despite impressing playing against men in the SHL. Took a big step forward production-wise this year, scoring 10 goals and 20 assists in 50 SHL games and made his senior national team début in the Euro Hockey Tour.

I think he has the potential to be a Tobias Enström-like second-pairing defenceman and he's far enough in his development that he should be able to play NHL games next season, something you can't say about many other players in this draft.

They play different positions, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a similar career trajectory to Viktor Arvidsson, another Skellefteå talent who was only selected late in his very last year of draft eligibility because of size concerns who has quickly transitioned into the NHL.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 07:02 AM
TT1

vCash: 934
Olson has had a good tournament too, reinforces my previous ranking of him.

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:55 AM
Pompeius Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
The Habs need to seriously consider drafting defenceman Sebastian Aho in the later rounds.

Small, offensively gifted 21-year-old left-handed defender from Skellefteå in his last year of draft eligibility who has inexplicably been passed over three times despite impressing playing against men in the SHL. Took a big step forward production-wise this year, scoring 10 goals and 20 assists in 50 SHL games and made his senior national team début in the Euro Hockey Tour.

I think he has the potential to be a Tobias Enström-like second-pairing defenceman and he's far enough in his development that he should be able to play NHL games next season, something you can't say about many other players in this draft.

They play different positions, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a similar career trajectory to Viktor Arvidsson, another Skellefteå talent who was only selected late in his very last year of draft eligibility because of size concerns who has quickly transitioned into the NHL.
Injuries and lack of size are the only reasons he hasn't been drafted yet, he's been good enough to be a regular in the SHL since late 2013-14 now. He took a really big step this year and I would have no problems at all drafting the guy.

Last edited by Pompeius Magnus: 04-20-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Pompeius Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:23 AM
NotProkofievian

Santeri Virtanen. He's a good player. Didn't I tell you guys he was a good player? I done told you.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Pompeius Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Santeri Virtanen. He's a good player. Didn't I tell you guys he was a good player? I done told you.
That would have been a pretty big upset if the Finns lost that one . Virtanen is indeed quite good, he has to be on our second round potential list.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Pompeius Magnus

The Swedes are really taking it to team Canada right now.

Old
04-20-2017, 10:02 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
The Swedes are really taking it to team Canada right now.
This iteration of team Canada is just terrible.

Let's just draft all Finns.

Old
04-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Pompeius Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
This iteration of team Canada is just terrible.

Let's just draft all Finns.
It's really not a top Swedish team beating them either, it's a very average crop by their standard. Although to be fair, some of the best U-18 canadian players aren't there.

Old
04-20-2017, 01:43 PM
Pompeius Magnus

It's so weird seeing a 5ft9 goalie out there. It's like I'm back in the late 80's or something.

Old
04-20-2017, 04:01 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuetbio View Post
thanks for your comments and analyze guys. It always appreciate to read you. This place is wonderful. Dont get beef for nothing. All of you are great complements for each others.

I take a close look to Grant's ranking. Man, its gutsy and realy different from many others. I wish that some of the centers listed could pass under the radar. With Knights elimination, I wonder if we could touch to Thomas. I think we have to go for a center this year whatever who is the BPA. I know the guy will be there in 3 years but im pretty sure this position will be a need again and forever.
The Hurricanes, Jets and Flyers should be drafting around the spot Thomas makes sense to be drafted and if he's available we should look at making a trade to move up and draft him (if that's who Timmins likes). It's perceived to be a weak draft, maybe a team would be more likely to make a trade. Time for this passivity to end, decide who you really want and go for it.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 04:38 PM
ginomini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
The Hurricanes, Jets and Flyers should be drafting around the spot Thomas makes sense to be drafted and if he's available we should look at making a trade to move up and draft him (if that's who Timmins likes). It's perceived to be a weak draft, maybe a team would be more likely to make a trade. Time for this passivity to end, decide who you really want and go for it.

I'm all for this.

Thomas could be a game changer on the long run for this team.

ginomini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:12 PM
NotProkofievian

Don't know about trading up. There's lots of talent in the first two rounds this year, but not so many sure things to move up for. I think I'd rather just have more kicks at the can.

Old
04-21-2017, 06:38 AM
Frank JT

If the Habs are kicked off from the the playoffs by the Rangers, they will be selecting between the 15th and the 22th position. The rank of the selection between the 15th and the 22nd is determined by the results of the regular season, the team that had the worst results is 15th, the one that had the best season, 22nd. If that is the case, Columbus and Chicago are eliminated and had better seasons than Montréal so that the CH could not select lower than the 20th selection currently if they are eliminated in the 1st. Is that the case?
And it remains Washington, Minnesota and Edmonton that could lower this rank if they went out in the first round.

But it's not over yet...

Frank JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:57 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank JT View Post
If the Habs are kicked off from the the playoffs by the Rangers, they will be selecting between the 15th and the 22th position. The rank of the selection between the 15th and the 22nd is determined by the results of the regular season, the team that had the worst results is 15th, the one that had the best season, 22nd. If that is the case, Columbus and Chicago are eliminated and had better seasons than Montréal so that the CH could not select lower than the 20th selection currently if they are eliminated in the 1st. Is that the case?
And it remains Washington, Minnesota and Edmonton that could lower this rank if they went out in the first round.

But it's not over yet...
Montreal would even get bumped up because a lower seeded team like Ottawa, Boston or NYR would be guaranteed to make the ECF and move themselves higher.

Old
04-21-2017, 07:52 AM
hoc123

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank JT View Post

But it's not over yet...
Only the teams that make the ECF and WCF get pit at the back of the draft. Considering we at 24'th in the league standings we can pick anywhere from 20'th (if 4 teams below us in the standings make the CF) to 24'th (if 4 teams above us in the standings make the CF). Now if we lose, we automatically pick at least 23'rd since we know one of the Rangers, Bruins or Senators will make the CF, and they are all below us in the standings. As well, if the Blues can beat the Wild (which they should, they're up 3-1) then we pick 22'nd, for the same reasons as above. So we will likely pick anywhere from 20'th-22'nd.

hoc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:23 AM
le_sean

I guess that means they'll have a shot at Robert Thomas, who is a player and won't disappoint when the chips are down.

Old
04-21-2017, 10:23 AM
Frank JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoc123 View Post
Only the teams that make the ECF and WCF get pit at the back of the draft. Considering we at 24'th in the league standings we can pick anywhere from 20'th (if 4 teams below us in the standings make the CF) to 24'th (if 4 teams above us in the standings make the CF). Now if we lose, we automatically pick at least 23'rd since we know one of the Rangers, Bruins or Senators will make the CF, and they are all below us in the standings. As well, if the Blues can beat the Wild (which they should, they're up 3-1) then we pick 22'nd, for the same reasons as above. So we will likely pick anywhere from 20'th-22'nd.
Thanks!
If I understand the rules, if we get kicked off in the two first rounds, we need St-Louis to win against Minnesota, Toronto to win against Washington and Pittsburg, and the winner of the San Jose vs Edmonton to beat Anaheim, to have the better situation for us in the next draft (20th). Is that it?

Last edited by Frank JT: 04-21-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Frank JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:56 AM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

When I do my "Best Of" categories for Recrutes Draft Guide and poll NHL scouts next week about who has the best shot among 2017 prospects...I already know what their answer will be - check out this goal from Tippett last night!

https://recrutes.ca/owen-tippett-1g-...h-apr-20-2017/

Old
04-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I guess that means they'll have a shot at Robert Thomas, who is a player and won't disappoint when the chips are down.
I'm thinking they won't...more than one scout has told me he has Thomas in his top ten now..we rank him tenth. He's got no weaknesses in his game.

www.recrutes.ca

Old
04-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Pompeius Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
When I do my "Best Of" categories for Recrutes Draft Guide and poll NHL scouts next week about who has the best shot among 2017 prospects...I already know what their answer will be - check out this goal from Tippett last night!

https://recrutes.ca/owen-tippett-1g-...h-apr-20-2017/
It's a broken link, must be a typo somewhere.