HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk - Helen Lovejoy Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2017, 07:59 AM
Smokey Thompson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Commit View Post
That was VERY likely the plan but the lockout season sort of ruined everything. If they thought they'd be anywhere near a playoff spot, they'd have left Galchenyuk in Sarnia. They thought, **** it, we'll be awful anyway and it's a 48 game season so we'll let him develop at C (he was playing LW in Sarnia). Started off okay, we kept winning, ended up moving him to the wing. Won the division, got bombed by Ottawa and haven't had a chance to be bad since other than last year (when he got to play C again).

The whole path to success was ruined in the lockout year, the worst of it is Carey held up his part of the bargain and was awful and we were STILL good. The ideal would have been to get a Barkov or something like that to this core. 48 more games of pain and it seemed likely we'd suck. What could have been.
If that were the plan then MB would've left Galchenyuk in Sarnia, traded Plek / Gionta / DD / Gorges to load up on picks and guarantee a spot low in the standings. Instead he kept everyone except Cole, extended DD, and began grooming Galchenyuk into that ever elusive 3rd line C / LW.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:00 AM
Hot Dog Water Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by budro16 View Post
Tell me one player who had more opportunities then Max last night?? there isn't one
Lehkonen/Gallagher

Old
04-21-2017, 08:04 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Tell me one player who had more opportunities then Max last night?? there isn't one
Opportunities? You mean the single time he skated all night because he had a shot at a breakaway? And McDonagh falling so he took the puck only to flub a golden opportunity? Wow, what a captain.

Galchenyuk is even worse because he's a terrible backchecker AND he can't win board battles. So unless he's scoring, which he clearly isn't, he's completely useless.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:06 AM
budro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respeck View Post
Lehkonen/Gallagher
This isn't true. Sure they both had ample opportunity themselves, and each scored a goal. But Max had 4-5 GRADE A chances and couldn't slide one past Hank.

He is due to break out and score some goals... just wait.

Funny how Galchenyuk gets bashed on here by all you people, but he is the 1 guy that Claude is moving up and down the lineup trying to spark anything from anyone else... almost like he sees something that none of you do i guess?

Old
04-21-2017, 08:07 AM
le_sean

Lol you think Galchenyuk is moving up and down the lineup to get OTHERS moving? Now you're delusional.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:09 AM
Hot Dog Water Shaw

Quote:
This isn't true. Sure they both had ample opportunity themselves, and each scored a goal. But Max had 4-5 GRADE A chances and couldn't slide one past Hank.

He is due to break out and score some goals... just wait.

Funny how Galchenyuk gets bashed on here by all you people, but he is the 1 guy that Claude is moving up and down the lineup trying to spark anything from anyone else... almost like he sees something that none of you do i guess?
I've been hearing this since game 1, I hope he does break out and score goals but I am not holding my breath.

Claude is moving guys are because Galchenyuk/Pacioretty have been awful and he needs goals, LEHKONEN was moved so he could help to try to get Pacioretty going.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:16 AM
budro16

Quote:
I've been hearing this since game 1, I hope he does break out and score goals but I am not holding my breath.

Claude is moving guys are because Galchenyuk/Pacioretty have been awful and he needs goals, LEHKONEN was moved so he could help to try to get Pacioretty going.
No they haven't been. Could they be better? sure, but they haven't been horrible.

It seems that a lot of people on here think that if a player isn't an amazing physical 2 way forward they are useless. Give your head a shake... They are out there for offense. And they both had a lot of chances

Old
04-21-2017, 08:19 AM
Hot Dog Water Shaw

Quote:
No they haven't been. Could they be better? sure, but they haven't been horrible.

It seems that a lot of people on here think that if a player isn't an amazing physical 2 way forward they are useless. Give your head a shake... They are out there for offense. And they both had a lot of chances
They are out there for OFFENSE, which means goals, and they aren't scoring goals.

They aren't scoring and when they don't score they don't provide anything else.. so they are useless right now.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:21 AM
le_sean

Other than a one timer from Radulov in Game 4, I can't think of another chance for Galchenyuk, let alone "a lot" as you claim.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:35 AM
Homme de la Meduse

So... is Galchenyuk going to throw a bodycheck at one point in those playoffs? There's only 4 players that have 0 bodycheck after 4 games out of 261 players. Galchenyuk, Gaudreau (5'9 157 lbs), Versteeg (5'11 176 lbs) and Donskoi (6'0 190 lbs)

Last edited by Homme de la Meduse: 04-21-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old
04-21-2017, 08:38 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homme de la Meduse View Post
So... is Galchenyuk going to throw a bodycheck at one point in those playoffs?
You mean throw one on the likes of Zuccarello and get outmuscled and fall?

Old
04-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Justin11

Quote:
So... is Galchenyuk going to throw a bodycheck at one point in those playoffs?
It's not body checks that we need from him, it's goals. First, it would be nice if they can find a more permanent position for him instead of bouncing him around all over the place and then hopefully he finds his game.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Homme de la Meduse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin11 View Post
It's not body checks that we need from him, it's goals. First, it would be nice if they can find a more permanent position for him instead of bouncing him around all over the place and then hopefully he finds his game.
Is he so unique in the league that he's the only one over 190 lbs that can't throw his weight around?

Old
04-21-2017, 08:44 AM
Hot Dog Water Shaw

Quote:
When you're in the offensive zone, throwing a body check can lead to a turnover which can lead to a goal.

Waving your stick around and letting the D make an easy breakout pass won't help you score a goal.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:47 AM
le_sean

Quote:
When you're in the offensive zone, throwing a body check can lead to a turnover which can lead to a goal.

Waving your stick around and letting the D make an easy breakout pass won't help you score a goal.
What about constantly chasing the opposing defenders behind the net and trailing because you're a poor skater? Will that help??

Old
04-21-2017, 08:48 AM
Justin11

Quote:
Is he so unique in the league that he's the only one over 190 lbs that can't throw his weight around?
I'm not saying that Galchenyuk should not get physical, all I'm saying is the we need for him to score goals. But really, is it Galchenyuk's fault that we are down 3-2 in this series? is it because he did not try to crack the guy on the boards? should be put all the blame on him?

Old
04-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Homme de la Meduse

Quote:
I'm not saying that Galchenyuk should not get physical, all I'm saying is the we need for him to score goals. But really, is it Galchenyuk's fault that we are down 3-2 in this series? is it because he did not try to crack the guy on the boards? should be put all the blame on him?
Nobody is putting all the blame on him, but when everybody in the team is going one way and he is going on the other way, you have to wonder what is going on.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:51 AM
budro16

Quote:

Waving your stick around and letting the D make an easy breakout pass won't help you score a goal
Not every player has to play physical to be successful. When will you understand that? (4/20 was yesterday buddy)

If we are going to have success, we are going to do it with these players, including Galchenyuk. This is our window, stop bashing on the talent we have.

There is still a lot of hockey to be played, I am still very confident we can win this series, you guys should be as well.

Lundqvist is playing like a god right now, that is why no one is producing... if you can't see that, there is no point arguing, we are still getting chances...

Old
04-21-2017, 08:57 AM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Opportunities? You mean the single time he skated all night because he had a shot at a breakaway? And McDonagh falling so he took the puck only to flub a golden opportunity? Wow, what a captain.

Galchenyuk is even worse because he's a terrible backchecker AND he can't win board battles. So unless he's scoring, which he clearly isn't, he's completely useless.
Agreed. If there were a Centre version of Lehkonen on the trade market, I'd trade Galchenyuk for him in a second.

Quote:

Exactly. People saying "We don't need [defense, faceoffs, physical play, forechecking, backchecking, board play] from Galchenyuk, we need him to score goals!" don't realize that puck possession is a pre-requisite for scoring goals.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:58 AM
Hannibal
Fear the Weber

Bust.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Justin11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Bust.
If you were expecting for him to become the next Wayne Gretzky, then ya. He scored 30 goals just last season, but he's a bust...

Last edited by Justin11: 04-21-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old
04-21-2017, 09:05 AM
Dagistitsyn

Andrei Kostitsyn 2.0 but without the physical game.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:06 AM
Hot Dog Water Shaw

Quote:
Not every player has to play physical to be successful. When will you understand that? (4/20 was yesterday buddy)

If we are going to have success, we are going to do it with these players, including Galchenyuk. This is our window, stop bashing on the talent we have.

There is still a lot of hockey to be played, I am still very confident we can win this series, you guys should be as well.

Lundqvist is playing like a god right now, that is why no one is producing... if you can't see that, there is no point arguing, we are still getting chances...
It is the ****ing playoffs, you don't need to be throwing hits every shift but throwing a hit to make a play or going to the front of the net is necessary if you want to score goals come playoff time.

I guess we should be happy with Pacioretty and Galchenyuk taking perimeter shots, not going to dirty areas or sacrificing their bodies to make plays though.. they're "getting chances".

We are getting chances from smaller guys like Lehkonen, Gallagher and Byron working their ***** off and taking hits to create chances, I know playing physical or going to dirty areas aren't Pacioretty/Galchenyuk's games.. but in the playoffs you NEED to do those type of things to score goals. These guys are 6'2" and playing soft as ****, it not only hurts in the offensive zone since we can't get the puck.. but it also leads to chances coming back the other way when the Rangers' D has no pressure to make breakout passes.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:07 AM
Hot Dog Water Shaw

Quote:
If you were expecting for him to become the next Wayne Gretzky, then yeah. He scored 30 goals just last season, but he's a bust...
He scored 16 of his goals in the last 22 games when we were already out of the playoffs, even Desharnais put up almost a PPG to end the 2011-2012 season in a bunch of meaningless games as well.

He's a 3rd overall pick with plenty of offensive talent, the expectations are he should produce in actual meaningful games.

Old
04-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Hannibal
Fear the Weber

Quote:
If you were expecting for him to become the next Wayne Gretzky, then ya. He scored 30 goals just last season, but he's a bust...
He's frustrating.

Not involved. Floating. Always make the same junior dekes.

Closed Thread